The Musical Instruments Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
The Musical Instruments Thread
Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:08 pm
  • Just picked up a new acoustic guitar, one I had been wanting for quite some time. I recently moved back to Seattle, to take a significant career bump, and found myself in the neighborhood of A# Music Company, a high end boutique store in the Renton/Kent area. I hadn't intended to buy anything, but inquired if they were a Rainsong dealer. The sales guy said no, but they had one on consignment. Without so much as seeing the guitar, I knew I was about to be eating Top Ramen for the next week.

The sales rep produced a mint condition Rainsong Black Ice jumbo, model BI-JM1000N2, at an absolute sweetheart of a deal.

For those who are not familiar with this guitar manufacturer, they are based in Woodinville, and build top quality acoustic guitars mostly from carbon fiber, with steel frets and tuning pegs, plus a composite nut. The resulting instrument is mind blowingly articulate sounding, and really gives the Martin & Co and Taylors of the world a run for their money. I own a Gibson Les Paul and Custom Shop Fender Am. Deluxe Strat, and this is an order magnitude finer than either of those instruments.

It was like Deja Vu. I bought the Strat at this same shop, for a similarly, absurdly low price, back in 2007.

What do guys play on? Post your instruments!

Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Re: The Musical Instruments Thread
Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:27 pm
  • Looks sweet. I am on a computer that doesn't have my pics. i'll post later.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:54 pm
  • Nice pick up! I don't have any pics of my guitar without my ugly mug in them but I play a Taylor 310. It is an 01 that I bought new and her voice is really getting sweet now. Not sure I could play a composite guitar, I'm sure it sounds killer, but the smell of my guitar turns me on almost as much as the sound. Check out the "pitch lab" app..its a cool tuner app for free.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:35 pm
  • Nice find. I haven't heard of that brand, but I'll have to look into them.

^ My current and only guitar (since my friend lost my electric guitar). Pretty standard Martin DX-1. It has great sound, but the only drawback is that it is fairly quiet sounding. That black mark makes me cringe, too...had a girl over and she accidentally kicked it. Probably my fault for not having it in the case.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:56 am

Got black beauts on it, now.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:26 am
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Green13
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am
  • ha! I am not posting my arsenal so you can make fun of the names on the headstocks, so smokin is that a composite of some sort? looks pretty cool!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:20 am
  • My only easily accessible photo:

That's my Epiphone Les Paul Goth with some active EMGs replacing the stock pickups, my Spector 5-string bass with passive EMGs, and my PRS Mikael Akerfeldt SE model.

Not pictured: Applause acoustic/electric (actually partially pictured on the left... gotten a lot of play out of that cheap guitar), Rogue mandolin, Martin backpacker, and a little starter drumkit.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:ha! I am not posting my arsenal so you can make fun of the names on the headstocks, so smokin is that a composite of some sort? looks pretty cool!

99% carbon fiber construction. The only parts that aren't carbon fiber are the frets, the strings, the tuning machines, the electronics, and for some reason, the nut is made of plastic (rather than graphite, which is uh.. weird).

I had been ogling this make of guitar for some time but until recently I could not justify the cost of one. To say that it plays brilliantly would be a gross understatement. A# did a fantastic setup on it with very low action, but to me, the chief selling point on these guitars has to be the way they sound. I would have never thought a composite guitar could give a quality wooden one a run for its money, but wow, the sound does not lie. It's just so clear and articulate, with some ridiculous sustain for an acoustic guitar. It is quite loud, as well, given that the cavity is completely hollow with no internal bracing whatsoever.

Something I also love is the fact that they are a local company, based in Woodinville. I hadn't known that prior to buying the guitar, but I love it all that much more knowing it was made in the Seattle area.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information