Prednisone???

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Prednisone???
Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:26 pm
  • Hi folks: The Doc's got my on Prednisone. (steroids) I've been taking it for the past 16 days with a tapering-down dosage, but still have two weeks to go. At this point the side effects I'm noticing are:

My face it kind of flushed and red in color. No biggie.

Constant munchies! I stop eating! And I'm already a biggie.

But possibly the worst is I've become more aggressive than usual and my temper much shorter than usual. I even started posting again in the PWR forum....LOL! Plus, it's effecting my usually very conservative poker game.

Anyone have experience with Prednisone? Any suggestions? (DTex/Jiggy: slitting my wrists is not an option.) :mrgreen:
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Re: Prednisone???
Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:52 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:Hi folks: The Doc's got my on Prednisone. (steroids) I've been taking it for the past 16 days with a tapering-down dosage, but still have two weeks to go. At this point the side effects I'm noticing are:

My face it kind of flushed and red in color. No biggie.

Constant munchies! I stop eating! And I'm already a biggie.

But possibly the worst is I've become more aggressive than usual and my temper much shorter than usual. I even started posting again in the PWR forum....LOL! Plus, it's effecting my usually very conservative poker game.

Anyone have experience with Prednisone? Any suggestions? (DTex/Jiggy: slitting my wrists is not an option.) :mrgreen:

ROID rage! The Mariners could use you as a cleanup hitter. 8)
    In all seriousness, my brother was on it a few years back, said you just have to ride out the storm of the side effects and watch how much you eat, as he is a skinny dude but packed on the pounds pretty quick under that stuff.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:07 pm
  • I was on 120mg per day for several years because it was the only thing my disease would respond to... I don't know what your condition is, but there are so many better drugs... Prednisone is a "stopgap" because it's effective for so many conditions, but it causes all kinds of unseen damage in your body.

It can cause bouts of insomnia, and if you take it long enough you will be an insomniac the rest of your life. Same goes with the weight gain, a little bit is fine... a 40mg a day thing for a few weeks and you just get face swelling and stuff, but when they start dosing you heavy, look out! It will increase your risk of getting diabetes by about a thousand percent, especially if you start sucking down the sugar when you are on the stuff (and nothing makes you crave sweets like prednisone) Weight will sneak up on you before you know it.

Also, you have obviously noticed the mood swings... "ups and downs" and anger.

Worse of all, Prednisone is not an anabolic steriod - it is a cortesteroid, which means - instead of building muscle, it TEARS DOWN muscle and builds fat!!!! It also causes you to retain salt and water -- leading to edema, and it eats away at your body's ability to regulate cortisal, which is the chemical produced by your adrenal glands - which means if you accidental take too much, and then taper off too quickly, you can actually kill yourself.

Trust me, get off of it as soon as you can, and make sure you never just "stop" but strictly adhere to the taper down they give you.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:23 pm
  • Wow! Thanks Z-Man.

Luckily, I only started with 20mg a day and I'm now down to 15mg, tapering down by 2.5mg per week, until I'm done. For me it is for reducing inflammation in my gizzards (to put it nicely.)

From what I've been reading and hearing, it's just the way it goes. i can live with it (hopefully!), but was curious how other folks might have dealt with similar problems.

The sleep thing I'm getting used to, and the VA Dr has me on meds for my back & neck that has the side effect of helping me sleep.

I do tend to become upset with things were I normally would just say, "Ah, who cares." And sometimes I talk a mile a minute and people have told me to take it easy and slow down. But compared to the things you're talking about, my side effects are light duty.

Guess I'll give it the ol', "It could be a lot worse!," and just put one foot in front of the other. Thanks again.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Prednisone???
Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:38 am
  • From what I know, Z's info is correct.
    You are on a low dose and already on the plan to stop.
    The big issue, the way I see it the "quick to anger" side effect. You already recognize it, just STAY aware so you don't say or do anything you will regret.
    Walk away quicker than you normally would.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:02 am
  • Are you sure you are getting the munchies from it?...... :pimp:

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:11 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Are you sure you are getting the munchies from it?...... :pimp:

I resemble that remark! :les:

All kidding aside, it is from the 'roids. Starting in early Feb. I had lots of problems with my lungs & sinuses being congested, with the result that doing the herb made me hack and cough. It took about three months for it to subside. Yuck, it really sucked. I'd wake up after three hours sleep and stand by the sink hacking and spitting...and then couldn't go back to sleep again. Three months of sleep deprivation...I'm too old for that crap! Funny thing is, the meds that helped to finally end it, was also Prednisone...but I only took it for six days, then. BTW: Using a Neti Pot really helped in clearing out my nasal sinuses.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:20 pm
  • My now ex-wife has been on prednisone for 24 years for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I can honestly say that our relationship changed for the worse once she was on it. The side effects, both mental and physical are one reason why we are no longer together. Be careful with it.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:02 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:From what I know, Z's info is correct.
    The big issue, the way I see it the "quick to anger" side effect. You already recognize it, just STAY aware so you don't say or do anything you will regret.

Even when people are trying to 'bait' me? :cussing:
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Prednisone???
Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:From what I know, Z's info is correct.

Up to you, that stuff can really effect some people.
    You asked a legit question. Z gave a good response, I just added a little I thought might help.
    Actually I'd say especially if people are trying to bait you, IMO that means they are looking for something and if you have a medication effecting your emotions you may give more than you intended, causing an undesired chain of events.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 am
  • Brian, get off the shit and get your ass down to SD for the game. Bring that bar keep dude with you. You know, the one that missed the SF game. :D

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:29 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:From what I know, Z's info is correct.

Up to you, that stuff can really effect some people.
    You asked a legit question. Z gave a good response, I just added a little I thought might help.
    Actually I'd say especially if people are trying to bait you, IMO that means they are looking for something and if you have a medication effecting your emotions you may give more than you intended, causing an undesired chain of events.

Blue Hat: Thanks for the info, truly. I was just kidding around with the 'baiting' thing, and the ranting 'smilie.'

I appreciate everyone's advice and info posted in this thread. :thirishdrinkers:

Lan: Don't worry, we'll get used to each other's style of posting...I hope! :mrgreen:
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:39 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Brian, get off the shit and get your ass down to SD for the game. Bring that bar keep dude with you. You know, the one that missed the SF game. :D

I wish it were possible for me to attend. I have a number of friends and family is SoCal. Unfortunately, the past 11 months have been one medical problem after another...and the bills add up. I've spent more time in the last 11 months, in hospitals, Dr's offices, taking tests, etc, than than I have for the 50 yrs previously. Actually hadn't seen an M.D. since the late 1970s.

The good part is: I'm feeling a little stronger every day and I'm gonna come out of this stronger than I was this time last year...if I don't die first. LOL!

It would be a cool trip though, Hangin' with you the Dr, and the 'gang.' Maybe next year. :th2thumbs:
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 am
  • A one time course of prednisone should not have long term Ill effects on you. Don't let them give you numerous courses over long periods of time. That crap will burn your body up. If your pain returns after you stop taking it, consider other treatment.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Save a place at the table for us "Big Willie"
    halfrack
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information