Trav's New Career

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Trav's New Career
Thu May 22, 2014 9:18 pm
  • So -- I'm no longer a Medical Person.

    Probably mentioned casually here and there that I had quit the hospital to go to a developer's bootcamp. 11 weeks of ridiculous hours doing nothing but coding progressively more frustrating things. I didn't go in cold, having dabbled since the '90s, and that definitely helped.

    I finished up the program toward the end of April -- We did a demo of our capstone project in front of hundreds of potential employers. I had five interviews and four offers within a week.

    I accepted a position with a small development company, with all of seven employees (Including me). This is PROBABLY the first time, as a 40 year old Grown Ass Man, that I've just enjoyed the hell out of going to work. Time zips by, it's challenging, it's engaging, and I took a 25% raise over my last year's annual salary to start.

    I'm now called a UX Engineer, though for the most part I've been a Drupal/WP full-stack developer. (Getting a week to go to Drupalcon in June, even.)

    So, just a 'Yay, Me' post to the community I've frequented long enough to be over in the irrelevant oldies bin, haha. Pretty cool stuff, took a big crazy chance to leap out of my comfort zone for something better -- And it worked. So, y'know, sometimes it doesn't all end in blood tears and failure.
    User avatar
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1675
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:38 am
    Location: San Antonio, TX


Re: Trav's New Career
Thu May 22, 2014 9:41 pm
  • TravTex wrote:So -- I'm no longer a Medical Person.

    Probably mentioned casually here and there that I had quit the hospital to go to a developer's bootcamp. 11 weeks of ridiculous hours doing nothing but coding progressively more frustrating things. I didn't go in cold, having dabbled since the '90s, and that definitely helped.

    I finished up the program toward the end of April -- We did a demo of our capstone project in front of hundreds of potential employers. I had five interviews and four offers within a week.

    I accepted a position with a small development company, with all of seven employees (Including me). This is PROBABLY the first time, as a 40 year old Grown Ass Man, that I've just enjoyed the hell out of going to work. Time zips by, it's challenging, it's engaging, and I took a 25% raise over my last year's annual salary to start.

    I'm now called a UX Engineer, though for the most part I've been a Drupal/WP full-stack developer. (Getting a week to go to Drupalcon in June, even.)

    So, just a 'Yay, Me' post to the community I've frequented long enough to be over in the irrelevant oldies bin, haha. Pretty cool stuff, took a big crazy chance to leap out of my comfort zone for something better -- And it worked. So, y'know, sometimes it doesn't all end in blood tears and failure.
    congrats!

    I think the Neko wants a raise in his catnip allowance! 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12449
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


Re: Trav's New Career
Thu May 22, 2014 10:19 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:congrats!

    I think the Neko wants a raise in his catnip allowance! 8)


    The Neko is hooked up with his special Urinary Tract Maintenance Food. The Neko is already damn spendy, haha.
    User avatar
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1675
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:38 am
    Location: San Antonio, TX


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 23, 2014 6:02 am
  • Congrats! This is from someone still in the medical field.
    Image
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Save a place at the table for us "Big Willie"
    User avatar
    halfrack
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 165
    Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:43 pm
    Location: Lakin, KS


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 23, 2014 9:09 am
  • Good for you Trav.
    Congrats.
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 6482
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 23, 2014 9:29 am
  • Bacon
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10776
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 23, 2014 11:28 am
  • Nice Trav. Congrats !!!!!!
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25648
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Mmmmm...Roasted Cardinal


Re: Trav's New Career
Thu May 29, 2014 8:02 pm
  • TravTex wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:congrats!

    I think the Neko wants a raise in his catnip allowance! 8)


    The Neko is hooked up with his special Urinary Tract Maintenance Food. The Neko is already damn spendy, haha.

    Had a cat growing up that needed that special food.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12449
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


Re: Trav's New Career
Thu May 29, 2014 8:22 pm
  • Way to go, Trav.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8491
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 30, 2014 5:41 am
  • Congrats and welcome from a fellow dev guy! :th2thumbs:
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    FearTheBeak
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 321
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm
    Location: Lacey, WA


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 30, 2014 2:05 pm
  • Congratulations on the job Trav. Amazing how quickly that worked out ;).

    Why in the world did they give you that UX title? HA! Maybe since you're full stack the UX is meant for the experience of other developers :P.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8685
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 30, 2014 3:25 pm
  • Great news Trav, really happy for you here at our house.

    :th2thumbs:
    Image
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18655
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Trav's New Career
Fri May 30, 2014 5:02 pm
  • Congrats Trav! I've said it for decades...Life is too damn short to spend most of it working at a job you hate.
    Image

    "We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8439
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Trav's New Career
Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:42 am
  • That's great Trav! Well done!
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9028
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Trav's New Career
Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:10 pm
  • Awesome. Absolutely fantastic.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15798
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR




It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online