Anti Bullying Tip

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Anti Bullying Tip
Wed May 21, 2014 2:19 pm
  • Involve your kids in Martial Arts at a young age. Do NOT let them sit in front of a TV until they have earned it.

You want your kids to stand up to bullying or be bullied?

Get them involved. Kenpo Karate is what I recommend. It teaches discipline and respect, something lacking in kids these days and that is because the parents let them get away with being lazy, and as a result= pussified.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Anti Bullying Tip
Wed May 21, 2014 2:43 pm
  • I recomend having them lift weights, participate in a grappling type art but yeah your basic point is true.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Wed May 21, 2014 4:59 pm
  • What ages we talking about? Kids who are pre-puberty should not be lifting weights (as a general rule) for various reasons.

Karate and Martial Arts are indeed some of the best ways to teach a child discipline, respect and self-defense.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed May 21, 2014 5:08 pm
  • do your homework though and find a good Dojo. Belt factories don't do much for kids.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Thu May 22, 2014 7:49 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:What ages we talking about? Kids who are pre-puberty should not be lifting weights (as a general rule) for various reasons.

Karate and Martial Arts are indeed some of the best ways to teach a child discipline, respect and self-defense.

I'd like to know the 'general rule' that lays out the various reasons as to why pre-puberty adolescents should not be weight training.

Weight (resistance) training, or more appropriately, strength development, comes in 2 forms; the increase of muscle mass and/or density as well as maturing of the nervous system. Helping to mature the nervous system moves along the process of myelination or insulation of nerve fibers to allow faster conductivity of the electrical impulses.

There is an article published in "Pediatrics" titled Strength Training by Children and Adolescents that states:
    “In addition to the obvious goal of getting stronger, strength-training programs may be undertaken to try to improve sports performance and prevent injuries, rehabilitate injuries, and/or enhance long-term health.”

“Similar to other physical activity, strength training has been shown to have a beneficial effect on several measurable health indices, such as cardiovascular fitness, body composition, bone mineral density, blood lipid profiles, and mental health.”

“Multiple studies have shown that strength training, with proper technique and strict supervision, can increased strength in pre-adolescents and adolescents…In pre-adolescents, proper resistance training can enhance strength without concomitant muscle hypertrophy. Such gains in strength can be attributed to a neurologic mechanism whereby training increases the number of motor neurons that are ‘recruited’ to fire with each muscle contraction. This mechanism accounts for the increase in strength in populations with low androgen concentrations, including female individuals and pre-adolescent boys. In contrast, strength training augments the muscle growth that normally occurs with puberty in boys and girls by actual muscle hypertrophy.”

And most importantly...
    “Appropriate strength-training programs have no apparent adverse effect on linear growth, growth plates, or the cardiovascular system.”

There are quite a number of studies involving prepubescent kids. One group was exposed to strength training before puberty and others were not. Then at the age of 13-14 all the subjects were put into a general strength-training program. On average, the group that had been exposed to strength training gained muscle and strength at a greater rate than the non-exposed group. They theorized there was a “priming of the pump” effect within the muscles and nervous system in the kids that had been exposed to physical training. The gains can be attributed to the hormones released during puberty; the body is flooded with testosterone and those kids that had the “priming of the pump” effect made greater physical advances, as there body was more able to utilize/maximize the hormone release.

So, this begs the question, WHAT SHOULD training look like in pre-puberty?

Strength training for kids should consist of skills like, coordination, stability, range of motion, agility, kinesthetic awareness, flexibility and balance. This should include large muscle groups that utilize body weight movements (body weight movements are still weighted/resistive) and free weights with light, manageable loads in big compound movements. Things like Olympic weightlifting, gymnastics and plyometric movements. If these exercises and movement patterns are taught at a young age the athlete will have a greater advantage in technique as they progress in age and strength, no different than teaching tumbling, or martial arts movements where muscle memory and neural endurance are super important. Also, as noted above in the Pediatrics article, strength training in children has been shown to promote increased bone mineral density. Gymnastics movements teach strength and explosiveness in the trunk, shoulders and limbs that is not found anywhere else. Plyometric movements have great carry over to speed, aiding in the Olympic movements and vice versa.

TL;DR version - I totally disagree
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Thu May 22, 2014 1:20 pm
  • I really meant lifting weights in the traditional sense, doing what the typical douche thinks is "working out" (bench press, squats, conventional weight lifting). As your quote said, strength training needs to be strictly supervised and proper technique is a must.

I'm with ya on the rest, though. I was merely pointing out that I don't think strictly lifting weights is a good idea for most kids that are 12 or younger.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu May 22, 2014 1:23 pm
  • I'm honestly not sure what to think in regards to lifting weights. Kids do more high stress type movements playing than they would ever get in the weight room. Jumping off a tall fence is harder on the body than a squat and its not close. But I generally error on the conservative side in regards to weights. I avoid real heavy stuff on the spine just to be safe. I think stuff like pushups, lunges, pullups etc are awesome for kids at almost any age. Isolation stuff like curls I think are fine and with everything moderation is your friend.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Thu May 22, 2014 1:26 pm
  • austinslater25 wrote:I'm honestly not sure what to think in regards to lifting weights. Kids do more high stress type movements playing than they would ever get in the weight room. Jumping off a tall fence is harder on the body than a squat and its not close. But I generally error on the conservative side in regards to weights. I avoid real heavy stuff on the spine just to be safe. I think stuff like pushups, lunges, pullups etc are awesome for kids at almost any age. Isolation stuff like curls I think are fine and with everything moderation is your friend.

Totally agree. Using one's own body to strength training or using resistive forces is great. The problem comes when lifting things that are very heavy for one's body, technique is very important, and most kids 12 or under are not going to be trained well enough to have perfect form, or they won't be supervised enough to ensure proper form.

I mean, when I was in high school there were still kids 18 years old who had no idea proper form for squatting or how to isolate muscles.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu May 22, 2014 2:27 pm
  • Well being that I'm a competition weightlifter, I guess I am that typical douche, considering squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches are all things I consider essential training for everyone. So I still vehemently disagree with your premise, which has no foundation in anything other than how you feel about it.

Taking a stance against something because you see the vast majority of people who have had no coaching do it wrong seems short sighted.

I will agree with one thing you have written thus far, most people have no clue how to properly perform a squat.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Thu May 22, 2014 2:30 pm
  • Form is so important in all training. Doesn't matter if it is weightlifting, running, climbing or even playing drums.

I was fortunate enough to have a karate teacher that stressed fundamentals and toughness. I applied his teachings to my drumming and even rock climbing.

He gave me the confidence to defend myself, and it mattered a lot throughout my life so far.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 pm
  • I come from a competitive powerlifting background as well and my dad had me lifting weights at a young age with no ill effects. I still think the plyometric type moves kids do just messing around are more dangerous. I have my two ten year olds and my 13 year old doing things but again I monitor them and keep things on the lighter side to be safe. I think there was a recent study that showed weight lifting did not have a negative effect on growth plates? But I'm not sure. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Thu May 22, 2014 8:48 pm
  • I lived in the woods for a long time, and trust me, I know how to squat. ;)
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri May 23, 2014 6:25 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:I come from a competitive powerlifting background as well and my dad had me lifting weights at a young age with no ill effects. I still think the plyometric type moves kids do just messing around are more dangerous. I have my two ten year olds and my 13 year old doing things but again I monitor them and keep things on the lighter side to be safe. I think there was a recent study that showed weight lifting did not have a negative effect on growth plates? But I'm not sure. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I linked one written in Pediatrics magazine above
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Fri May 23, 2014 7:47 am
  • Somehow I missed it. I'll check it out!
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 pm
  • We had my boy in karate @3-5yrs old..He is 10 now and has encountered a bully or 2..He has our permission to defend himself no matter what the rules are...If he gets hit or pushed hard -a kick is likely going to happen and as with the 1 or 2 big kids that did try before..It goes to the balls ..He could do much more,I spar with him all the time on defense tatics so I wouldn't have to worry about this subject..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 pm
  • I used to get bullied alot. Mainly cause other kids were jealous that I was better looking, smarter, and more refined than other kids at my school.

I understood.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat May 24, 2014 12:20 am
  • My anti bullying tip? Quit coddling your children. Not every kid deserves a participation ribbon. Points should be counted in sports. 4 square is fun.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat May 24, 2014 2:37 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:My anti bullying tip? Quit coddling your children. Not every kid deserves a participation ribbon. Points should be counted in sports. 4 square is fun.

Lmao-The later generations thought that would solve the problem..I tease my boy all the time,"Do you want a trophy"?
    It really fires him up..He say's he wants to earn one..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information