Cell phone Plans

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Cell phone Plans
Sun May 18, 2014 9:32 am
  • Who do you think has the best cell phone plan that doesn't involve a contract?

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Cell phone Plans
Sun May 18, 2014 9:56 am
  • I ain't i-wireless, that's for sure. I'm about to switch to something else. I'm not sure who, but I'll be monitoring this thread closely.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun May 18, 2014 10:20 am
  • Just curious as our contract is up and I am done, we have AT&T right now. We aren't phone monsters that spend every minute staring at the thing, and since nobody actually talks anymore it seems stupid to have so many talk minutes.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 am
  • That's one thing that drove me, too. Just couldn't afford buying hundreds of minutes and using a few dozen.

My experience, brief as it is, is that a lot of the burn phones you buy use the AT&T network, so if that's a concern, be careful. It's not often easy to tell, but they all basically piggy-back on the big carriers for coverage.

I'll probably end up at Wally-world. :pukeface:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun May 18, 2014 11:33 am
  • I use Tracfone. Had it for about 15 years. Never had a coverage issue. And you keep your unused minutes.

http://www.tracfone.com/
    Last edited by KitsapGuy on Sun May 18, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun May 18, 2014 11:51 am
  • I use Boost but it's an option to go no contract with all the major carriers and Virgin Mobile also.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun May 18, 2014 12:46 pm
  • No such thing as a good contract, bruh.

They're all creations of the devil.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 18, 2014 3:05 pm
  • I know Throw, however, we are trying to get our monthly bills pared down. Neither one of us use the internet on our phones much, I do mostly for GPS. We talk and text back and forth, and our phones are HTC from an upgrade 2 years ago that still work o.k.

What I would like in responses are some stories of other plans. It looks like Virgin requires you to buy a phone first, so what the flyin frak is the difference between that and an upgrade except for the piece of paper?

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun May 18, 2014 4:45 pm
  • You can always flash an existing phone to Cricket.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Cell phone Plans
Sun May 18, 2014 8:14 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Just curious as our contract is up and I am done, we have AT&T right now. We aren't phone monsters that spend every minute staring at the thing, and since nobody actually talks anymore it seems stupid to have so many talk minutes.

I've been with AT&T for many years.
    I had a 900 min plan with rollover mins.
    I recently changed my plan to one of their unlimited ones. Dropped my bill 20$ a month.
    Had almost 10k in rollover mins saved up.
    Not sure what will work best for you but I'm still ok with AT&T.
    I live in the boonies and just got 4g service last year, at my house.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun May 18, 2014 8:39 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I know Throw, however, we are trying to get our monthly bills pared down. Neither one of us use the internet on our phones much, I do mostly for GPS. We talk and text back and forth, and our phones are HTC from an upgrade 2 years ago that still work o.k.

What I would like in responses are some stories of other plans. It looks like Virgin requires you to buy a phone first, so what the flyin frak is the difference between that and an upgrade except for the piece of paper?

1. Price
    2. Phono choice
    3. Network

For example Boost and VM uses Sprint's network which is great if you live in Kansas City but not so great if you live in upstate New York, Southern Texas outside Houston, spots in the PNW, Montana......

I worked for Sprint as Customer Service so I know their network and worked for AT @T doing their insurance. My advice? Stay and go no contract.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon May 19, 2014 7:57 am
  • Check out Ting, its been my best cell phone experience ever. No contract and you pay at the end of your billing cycle for what you use, not 500 prepaid minutes you never needed. You bring your own phone, and I'm pretty sure your HTC's can be used on the network. They rent time using Sprint's coverage. (I have no idea how that works but it saves me money)

https://ting.com/rates

I hardly ever use my phone, but my bill is only about 25 bucks a month normally, most of the time even less than that. Haven't had any coverage problems either.
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran

Mon May 19, 2014 8:01 am
  • Thanks for the info. :th2thumbs:

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm
  • I am one of the fools that has a broadband card and a cell phone with internet 5gb and texting. Minimum minutes is 450 and that is the plan I am on. My bill is a CL with a discount. They looked at upgrading me a couple years ago but now there is so much HIGH DEFINITION out there being delivered, 5 gb is a laugh. I am at 11gb after our draft day couple days. That would be in the neighborhood of another 50-80 bucks for that month. But trust a phone company....never. ATnT just bought Direct TV...... :mrgreen: Verizon is my carrier. :mrgreen:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon May 19, 2014 7:23 pm
  • I have one of the old all you can eat data plans thru Verizon. They have informed me that if I upgrade my phone thru them that they will take away my truly unlimited data plan. I watch Netflix and download torrents when I'm out here on the boat. It's not uncommon for me to use 40 gig of data or more per month. Thus it is unexceptable for me to get a new phone thru Verizon and get stuck with 5 gig per month. I recently bought a new phone off eBay and activated it without a new contract from Verizon. It's about the only way I can keep my data plan.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue May 20, 2014 8:43 am
  • Anyone tried MetroPCS?

http://www.metropcs.com/
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue May 20, 2014 2:07 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:I have one of the old all you can eat data plans thru Verizon. They have informed me that if I upgrade my phone thru them that they will take away my truly unlimited data plan. I watch Netflix and download torrents when I'm out here on the boat. It's not uncommon for me to use 40 gig of data or more per month. Thus it is unexceptable for me to get a new phone thru Verizon and get stuck with 5 gig per month. I recently bought a new phone off eBay and activated it without a new contract from Verizon. It's about the only way I can keep my data plan.

I did not know you could do that (buy a phone and keep your plan). I would have done that last time when I upgraded to a smart phone. I am not changing out my broadband card because I have unlimited on it. I am at 13gb data now on that card. WHEN someone says that you need to upgrade because it will receive a stronger signal...THEY ARE LYING. They, as in communications, are limited by the FCC as to how much they can transmit using repeaters and everything. One more thing....High Definition uses more data transfer than old digital, like DVD compared to BluRay. 5gb with High Def is gonna go faster with the new upgrades over just plain digital Television.

<<Radar Teckie.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue May 20, 2014 4:32 pm
  • I looked at Ting. I love only paying for what you use but you cannot have an upgrade phone activated which means you need to buy one. I am thinking of getting a refurbished Samsung for $100 since I dont use my phone as my life like some people do. I mostly us GPS, and calls / text.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information