What's your favorite Pink Floyd album?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 pm
  • Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite, but Animals is so close it's really favorite a and favorite b
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

• Dark Side I have been playing since it came out. It is a masterpiece.

I liked Umma Gumma because when I was taking acid back in those days, it freaked me out. Careful with that axe Eugene, that was crazy as well as Several species of small furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving with a pick.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I love Pink Floyd. Such a great band with a lot of great music. I can listen to them almost any time.

A lot of their older albums have some great songs, but the whole albums aren't always great. Animals is great because every song is awesome on that album. Dark Side Of The Moon is a great one too, of course. So's the obligatory mention, The Wall, although the movie is a lot better because of the extended story and all the great visuals. The Final Cut has some really great songs, but I don't care for the whole album in its entirety. I really liked A Momentary Lapse of Reason, probably more because I read the whole of Stephen King's The Stand listening to it, but it's got a lot of great songs. I like Delicate Sound Of Thunder even better though. So many great songs on one album.

Wish You Were Here probably just edges out Thunder for my favorite album though. The extended version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (parts 1-9) is one of the best songs to just put on and chill, and it goes on forever. The other three songs are great ones too, and really tie the album together.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Pulse.

I'm not usually a fan of live albums; however, this one is really good.

The blinking light inside the case is still going strong after all these years.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• I have to say Dark Side of the Moon. There are albums with better songs, but I think that Dark Side was the tightest, most complete, cohesive work they ever did. Wish You Were Here, Meddle, and The Wall are up there too.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Saucer Full of Secrets. What a great, underrated band.
    soxhawk
    NET Rookie

• Meddle

Animals

Wish you were here
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• tom sawyer wrote:Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite, but Animals is so close it's really favorite a and favorite b

My thoughts exactly. Also agree with Largent80 about Careful with that axe Eugene.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

• I cannot chose one :D

I suppose I would say Meddle was the most important album they ever made, it was the catalyst to the Pink Floyd sound I loved the most.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Re: What's your favorite Pink Floyd album?
Tue May 13, 2014 11:25 am
  • Gotta be The Wall, right?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 13, 2014 11:31 am
  • Shoutout to Rob for the UmmaGumma mention. It's a really really good album.

For me, it's a toss-up between WYWH and Animals. Animals is a completely flawless record, for me. WYWH is phneomenal but in a different sense, lyrically their strongest album, and the songs are top-tier. Depending on the day, either one of those is my favorite Floyd album.

the Wall is fantastic, but just has too many low-points for my liking (The trial, young lust, etc.) though I'm sure most of you will disagree, and that's fine. It's a great record, but not close to being my favorite. Just my opinion.

Great thread, btw.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 am
  • i just want to say a quick piece about Dark Side. I get that it's a very popular record, and i love MOST of the songs on there.....but "Us and Them" just ruins the entire album for me. I hate everything about that song. HATE it. the sax is bad, that Idiotic diminished chord right there in the progression.....UGH.

Anyway, rant over.

Meddle deserves a strong mention here, too, and Piper, just because it was so groundbreaking. Similar in that respect to 'Freak Out' by Frank Zappa and the MOI - not their best record by a long shot, but an extremely important one.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 pm
  • Wish You Were Here for me.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 pm
  • Wish you were here.
    VB Hawk
    NET Practice Squad

Tue May 13, 2014 12:43 pm
  • I probably only remember "The Dark side of the Moon".

My background of music at home was jazz and soul (motown) obviously but I tended to like several of the bands from back in the early 70's such as Pink Floyd and Yes. "Money" was the tune that hooked me for Floyd and Rick Wakeman was the guy who pulled me into Yes.

Herbie Hancock was my Jazz connection to the moog synthesizer back then. Sorry, just took a trip down memory lane and lost focus.

"Dark Side of the Moon"
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• peachesenregalia wrote:i just want to say a quick piece about Dark Side. I get that it's a very popular record, and i love MOST of the songs on there.....but "Us and Them" just ruins the entire album for me. I hate everything about that song. HATE it. the sax is bad, that Idiotic diminished chord right there in the progression.....UGH.

Anyway, rant over.

Meddle deserves a strong mention here, too, and Piper, just because it was so groundbreaking. Similar in that respect to 'Freak Out' by Frank Zappa and the MOI - not their best record by a long shot, but an extremely important one.

Us and Them is my least favorite song on that album. I like the piano intro, and the lyrics "Forward he cried, from the rear, and the front flake died", but you can tell it was a song made for a soundtrack and then wedged into the album.

I wear out Meddle. Love "San Tropez" and the jam session that is "Echoes" is simply amazing.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 am
  • Dark side of the moon.
    Atom heart mother.
    Animals
    Wish you were here.
    The wall.

My top 5 in order.
    I'm an Allen parsons fan, many don't know that he produced DarkSideofTheMoon.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 am
  • I'd have to say Animals is my favourite. Dogs is just so good.

You can't go wrong with much of their albums.
    DrDix
    NET Rookie

Wed May 14, 2014 10:47 am
  • Wish You Were Here by the slightest of margins over Animals. Dark Side third. After that, The Wall and Meddle and Umma Gumma are all right in the same spot. I like the 2 post Waters albums too, especially Division Bell though not as much as the aforementioned. Not a huge fan of the early, psychedelic stuff but don't dislike it either. It has plenty of excellent moments, especially Pipers.

Side note: Did any of you see Waters doing The Wall when he toured it within the last 4 or so years? Amazing, simply amazing!
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 14, 2014 11:41 am
  • Animals followed by Meddle. Although no Floyd album is bad, I've listened to The Wall, DSOTM, and WYWH so much that I really don't care to hear them again.

David Jon Gilmour is the reason that I play guitar

Last edited by Donk70 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Donk70
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 am
  • drdiags wrote:I probably only remember "The Dark side of the Moon".

My background of music at home was jazz and soul (motown) obviously but I tended to like several of the bands from back in the early 70's such as Pink Floyd and Yes. "Money" was the tune that hooked me for Floyd and Rick Wakeman was the guy who pulled me into Yes.

Herbie Hancock was my Jazz connection to the moog synthesizer back then. Sorry, just took a trip down memory lane and lost focus.

"Dark Side of the Moon"

Nothing wrong with Herbie.
    Donk70
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 11:45 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Dark Side I have been playing since it came out. It is a masterpiece.

I liked Umma Gumma because when I was taking acid back in those days, it freaked me out. Careful with that axe Eugene, that was crazy as well as Several species of small furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving with a pick.

Pict

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts
    Donk70
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 12:25 pm
  • Donk70 wrote:Animals followed by Meddle. Although no Floyd album is bad, I've listened to The Wall, DSOTM, and WYWH so much that I really don't care to hear them again.

David Jon Gilmour is the reason that I play guitar

If I had to maker a choice to only listen to one guitarist for the rest my life (let's hope that never happens), Gilmour would be the one.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Dark Side of the Moon, and it's not even close for me. I have like 3 different CD's of that album. The old run of the mill copy, a dolby 5.1 copy, and my favorite, a Japanese remaster that cost me 28 bucks ten years ago. Worth every penny. It is SO clean and sounds like it was recorded with modern digital equipment. Plus it's a miniaturized duplicate of the full size album. Cardboard sleeve that opens like the original vinyl, with the two original posters cut down to scale and an album sleeve for the CD! VERY cool! It is probably, overall, my favorite work of musical art ever. I can't imagine a world where this album didn't exist. A true masterpiece, every second of it.

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Different days, different moods...but Wish You Were Here edges Dark Side for my all time fav. The Wall is just ho hum with a bunch of weird filler BS that doesn't enhance my overall album listening experience.
    Timmahawk
    NET Rookie

• For me Dark Side would be at the top because I've probably listened to that album as much as any album in my lifetime except maybe Paranoid, All Eyez On Me, and E 1999 & Eternal...as others have said it feels like their most cohesive album (even Us and Them) and it draws the biggest emotional response for me because of those reasons

then Meddle because along with Dark Side those were my introduction to Floyd and like others said really started the psychedelic sound for them which intrigued me the most at the time

Then Animals because it's just a bunch of Damn good songs!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 12:42 pm
  • I'm old enough to appreciate the Classic Rock era (see avatar). But I've always hated Pink Floyd, and I can count the songs I actually like from them on one hand.

Really cannot pin it down---too pretentious I guess?

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Trenchbroom wrote:I'm old enough to appreciate the Classic Rock era (see avatar). But I've always hated Pink Floyd, and I can count the songs I actually like from them on one hand.

Really cannot pin it down---too pretentious I guess?

BLASPHEMY!!
    But of course to each their own. :thirishdrinkers:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• So OP, since your user name is 'tom sawyer', what's your favorite Rush album?
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:So OP, since your user name is 'tom sawyer', what's your favorite Rush album?

Heh. Probably The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

On topic, I had no idea so many shared my appreciation for Wish You Were Here.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun May 18, 2014 12:58 am
  • Dark. Side. Of. The. Moon.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Dark side of the moon.

Animals second, then the rest.

I have a cassette of a compilation called "Works" that I used to play a lot, has some very old and strange classics.
    MexHawk
    NET Rookie

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information