This sums up what I think of the "Future" we're living in...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Ok, I'm what a lot of you younger guys would think of as "old", even though I'm only 53. Back in the day ('70's, 80's), me and my buddies would fantasize sometimes about what cool stuff we'd see in the future, within our lifetimes. Yeah, the perennial flying car was always there, as well as what computer games would look like and a whole bunch of other shit. None of us could have imagined that the future was just people walking around, head bent down at a 45 degree angle, thumb-tapping on some stupid mini-computer, mostly about crap that is petty and unimportant. Very disappointing considering what we were expecting. Yeah, I have a pretty nice smartphone, but I use it probably 5 to 20 minutes a day just to check email and this place. And I always use it when I'm sitting, stationary. I can't help it, but I just get irritated when I see smartphone zombies walking around oblivious to their surroundings. I laugh at the video's of these people injuring themselves or falling off docks or into fountains. I'm not even sure why it irritates me, it just does. Punks texting while driving at 65 mph make me wanna pit-maneuver them into a ditch! The only thing I dislike more are those stupid Bluetooth things on your ear where I'm always thinking they're talking to me. Arghhh!!! Anyhoo, this vid might make some of you think a bit about how you're missing out on certain aspects of life.... Like people that watch a concert through their smartphone so they can record their unwatchable, crappy video. Ok, let me have it young guys... I know I've got it coming, right? :les:

P.S. At least we were right about how cool video games were gonna be! I imagined them fairly accurately!

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:Ok, I'm what a lot of you younger guys would think of as "old", even though I'm only 53. Back in the day ('70's, 80's), me and my buddies would fantasize sometimes about what cool stuff we'd see in the future, within our lifetimes. Yeah, the perennial flying car was always there, as well as what computer games would look like and a whole bunch of other shit. None of us could have imagined that the future was just people walking around, head bent down at a 45 degree angle, thumb-tapping on some stupid mini-computer, mostly about crap that is petty and unimportant. Very disappointing considering what we were expecting. Yeah, I have a pretty nice smartphone, but I use it probably 5 to 20 minutes a day just to check email and this place. And I always use it when I'm sitting, stationary. I can't help it, but I just get irritated when I see smartphone zombies walking around oblivious to their surroundings. I laugh at the video's of these people injuring themselves or falling off docks or into fountains. I'm not even sure why it irritates me, it just does. Punks texting while driving at 65 mph make me wanna pit-maneuver them into a ditch! The only thing I dislike more are those stupid Bluetooth things on your ear where I'm always thinking they're talking to me. Arghhh!!! Anyhoo, this vid might make some of you think a bit about how you're missing out on certain aspects of life.... Like people that watch a concert through their smartphone so they can record their unwatchable, crappy video. Ok, let me have it young guys... I know I've got it coming, right? :les:

P.S. At least we were right about how cool video games were gonna be! I imagined them fairly accurately!

I have seen that on facebook and decline to watch it. Just more important things to do in my life I suppose. :mrgreen:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Bill, I'm hooked on a book series of "in death" by JD Rob. Talk about a future with automatic cars, no firearms allowed but now use modified stun guns about like Star Trek. Fully automatic homes, showers, etc.

This is all supposed to happen by the 2050s! Better hurry.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• "......Like people that watch a concert through their smartphone........"

Drives me up the wall at a concert. Watch the artists ON STAGE people! I mean I get taking a minute or two of video for posterity and a few pics, but geez, put the phone down and dance and have fun.

Another one I don't get, you meet people for lunch or a beer or whatever and boom, first thing that happens is the phones come out and their heads are buried in them off and on throughout the whole meal. You got a text, fine respond and be done. But really, you have friends in front of you to interact with face to face.

And yes, I'm old too.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I find it as funny as flat billed caps making everyone that wears one look like Kaepernick.

I saw a guy, just yesterday run straight into a pole while walking, he dropped the phone which immediately disintigrated.

Comedy GOLD.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Good video, hit's pretty close to home.

As I'm battling this stuff with my 9 year old. It's all about Minecraft, and iPad's right now. He wants to spend his allowance and birthday money on 0's and 1's, inside some app or on some new game.

I'm always telling him, "Lets go do something with that money, buy something real, buy a memory, let's go have fun, don't throw your money away on some 0's and 1's."

I hope I'm getting through to him.

Maybe it's because I work with computers and technology all day, that when I'm not working, I don't want to sit on the computer or stare at a phone. I want to go for a walk with my wife, go get a beer with a buddy, let's go on a road trip and get lost! Something real.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I always thought it would be "groovy" to have more than three TV channels. 4 (ABC), 5 (NBC and 7 (CBS). WB was a good cartoon and Fox was a hot chick. The only phones had dials on them. A great era.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Save a place at the table for us "Big Willie"
    halfrack
    NET Rookie

• BlueThunder wrote:Ok, I'm what a lot of you younger guys would think of as "old", even though I'm only 53. Back in the day ('70's, 80's), me and my buddies would fantasize sometimes about what cool stuff we'd see in the future, within our lifetimes. Yeah, the perennial flying car was always there, as well as what computer games would look like and a whole bunch of other shit. None of us could have imagined that the future was just people walking around, head bent down at a 45 degree angle, thumb-tapping on some stupid mini-computer, mostly about crap that is petty and unimportant. Very disappointing considering what we were expecting.

Okay, first off. That little poem was crap. Ugh. I understand the sentiment, but talk about finding the most smug, smarmy way to deliver it.

Now, as for "letting you have it," I'm not one of the youngsters, but I'll rise to the defense of our current tech. Pretty much every technological advance we've had throughout history has been overindulged in - especially in the early days of the tech. We had the same warnings about gaming systems, about arcade video games, about television, about radio, etc. Every time there is some new tech that gets adopted and made an integral part of some generation's lifestyle, the older generations are all, "WTF? I don't get it! Why don't things go back to how they were!"

You're not complaining about the technology. You're complaining about the lowest common denominator of its use. Because while kids staring at their screens while trying to drive or walk across the street is indeed infuriating, you're dismissing the truly amazing aspects of what the tech can do. We may not have flying cars (and talk about a ridiculous fantasy!), but we have more information at our fingertips in an instant than previous generations could have ever dreamed. It's simply incredible that from almost anywhere I am, I can take a picture, send it immediately to an old friend thousands of miles away, check for a good local restaurant, make a reservation at that restaurant, listen to my favorite song, and find out whether that bush I just brushed up against is poison ivy or not (and if it is, I can search for the closest drugstore and get a map on how to get there). The wealth of information we can share is phenomenal.

Bitching about this amazing tech just because some people don't use it judiciously is like lambasting the television just because a bunch of idiots watch some stupid reality show.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• First off, great post volsunghawk. I get what you're saying, but for me the video didn't didn't say all this new tech isn't a wonderful tool that has many benefits.

For me it was just saying, let's remember to take a break. Stand up from the pc, put the phone down, look around...and let's enjoy real life with our friends and family. That's what I took from it.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• BlueThunder wrote:Ok, I'm what a lot of you younger guys would think of as "old", even though I'm only 53. Back in the day ('70's, 80's), me and my buddies would fantasize sometimes about what cool stuff we'd see in the future, within our lifetimes. Yeah, the perennial flying car was always there, as well as what computer games would look like and a whole bunch of other shit. None of us could have imagined that the future was just people walking around, head bent down at a 45 degree angle, thumb-tapping on some stupid mini-computer, mostly about crap that is petty and unimportant. Very disappointing considering what we were expecting. Yeah, I have a pretty nice smartphone, but I use it probably 5 to 20 minutes a day just to check email and this place. And I always use it when I'm sitting, stationary. I can't help it, but I just get irritated when I see smartphone zombies walking around oblivious to their surroundings. I laugh at the video's of these people injuring themselves or falling off docks or into fountains. I'm not even sure why it irritates me, it just does. Punks texting while driving at 65 mph make me wanna pit-maneuver them into a ditch! The only thing I dislike more are those stupid Bluetooth things on your ear where I'm always thinking they're talking to me. Arghhh!!! Anyhoo, this vid might make some of you think a bit about how you're missing out on certain aspects of life.... Like people that watch a concert through their smartphone so they can record their unwatchable, crappy video. Ok, let me have it young guys... I know I've got it coming, right? :les:

Blue your a few years older than me but no matter..I have felt and said the very things that you posted..It's really sad to see..Think any of these cell zombies could make it in the 80's?How did we get anything done back then?It sure was a lot less stressfull..We played all day as kids/teens..We were in great shape and tough..We earned our spots and awards..I see my sons baseball games and they lack basic skills from not playing games with their friends ect..I could go on..but everyone near our ages knows exactly where all this comes from..Today I am a grandpa and I can outwork 20 yr olds easily..I just try to survive and teach my boy(10) and toughen him up besides the tech stuff which he knows already so he can be ahead..No offense to the young ones btw..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:Think any of these cell zombies could make it in the 80's?

Things were much better and safer in the '80s. No walking around with gadgets and fiddling with stupid technology that could get you hurt if you weren't looking where you were going. Yea, those were the days.

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information