Need Advice

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Need Advice
Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 am
  • Anyone ever get that moment in there life where they wish they did things differently.

Here's my story anyways

After HS I stuck at the same retail job I loved it I got all this money and I spent it on all crap like video games a few years later im 22. I decided to go to Toronto for a year because after 4.5 years later of at the same place it got stale and boring. A few months after I got the visa my mum got diagnosed with bowel cancer ....it broke me I felt like shit and cancelled my Canada plans , though she kept telling me to go ! Another couple months down the line she got better and got the clear so I decided to go ahead to Toronto. Funnily enough I went to Toronto I absolutely loved it and worked retail for a year over there but it was more the freedom and the friends I had that made it awesome ....like the lifestyle in north America is amazing compared to Scotland.

Now im back in Scotland with the same company and on management programme only thing is it takes about a year to complete after that I can become a manager and earn a salary....Though I honestly feel like retail is about who you know and who your friends are within the company. I just guess I wanna move away from Scotland and over to the USA or Canada.

I was thinking of doing a 2 year college course in Scotland for Marketing and maybe a 3rd year at university to earn a BA ........though this would mean a cut in my contract im doing 30hrs per week hopefully they would allow me to cut it to 20.

I just don't know if this would be the right move on one hand I feel like ill regret it and it would give me a better opportunity in getting a job in North America.

With a 2 year college course would you be able to get a job in USA/Canada or would it be better to do the 3rd year at university.

After 2 year college course is over I will be 26 if I include the 3rd year university I will be 27 do you think that's too old or to find a first marketing job at ?

Sorry for ranting on I guess I just got nobody to turn to at this moment for advice and thought id ask my fellow12s

All replies appreciated

dino26
    Image GO HAWKS !

Follow me on Twitter: @NFL_Hawk
    dino26
    NET Veteran

Re: Need Advice
Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 am
  • 27 is not old in anyway shape or form in the business world
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am
  • My friend we all face those decisions,,its just life. Do what you think is the best for you with the information you have now and don't look back.

I took a path years ago that turned out to be the wrong one but looking back I know that I made the best decision I could have made with information then available. Took about 4 years to see I had made the wrong choice but oh well, that's life in the big city.

Best of luck.

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 am
  • You are still really young even though it might not feel like it, I'm a bit under double your age. At your age you aren't too old to do anything.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:04 am
  • If you want a manager's position in the States, you should probably go for the Bachelor's degree, or whatever the equivalent it. Here it is 4 years, maybe that's what you meant by 3 yrs? IAE, a 2 yr degree won't get you as far over here.

Can't speak for Canada.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:48 am
  • I'm doing a complete retooling to raise my potential earnings ceiling, and I'll be turning 40 about the time I start job hunting again.

I really hope 27yo is a non issue.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:36 pm
  • sutz wrote:If you want a manager's position in the States, you should probably go for the Bachelor's degree, or whatever the equivalent it. Here it is 4 years, maybe that's what you meant by 3 yrs? IAE, a 2 yr degree won't get you as far over here.

Can't speak for Canada.

I would probably go to study Marketing or Accounting if I were to move to US/Canada I would want to be in those sort of fields than retail.
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:56 pm
  • I would go to wherever the pic that is your avatar was taken, and consider myself home.
    Hawkfan509
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 pm
  • Doing what you love most will never lead to regrets. But sometimes you have to get down and dirty in order to achieve your goals. And it is in the trenches where you find out what you cherish most.
    Bad decisions make good stories.
    Hawkee
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:12 pm
  • I'd say go for a student visa over here. Once you have an education it is a little more difficult to get in across the pond without an immediate job offer. I tried to sneak into Canada a few years back but being a white professional male with a degree (and no job offer) they said, no way, eh?
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:52 pm
  • Here's my general advice.

Find the thing you are best at doing that also pays the most then make bank for a few years.

Once you've made your nut, go do what you love.

Retail is a garbage position even at management. But it also gives you a TON of freedom. I mean, you seem to like to travel, maybe that's what you should do. Work enough to get by then go to the next place. You're still young, you can screw around for a lot longer and still have plenty of years to really be focused.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:19 am
  • Yeah well I've done the travelling been to Canada and I absolutely loved it.

I guess its that way in retail I don't really trust the management and I feel like a lot of them aren't professional at what they do.

My dream is to move to Seattle , I don't think I can do that through retail so I think I am gonna go do the 2 years at college and then do the 1 year atat University so I can get a BA in Marketing and have a badge to my name !
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 am
  • Scottish_Hawk wrote:Yeah well I've done the travelling been to Canada and I absolutely loved it.

I guess its that way in retail I don't really trust the management and I feel like a lot of them aren't professional at what they do.

My dream is to move to Seattle , I don't think I can do that through retail so I think I am gonna go do the 2 years at college and then do the 1 year atat University so I can get a BA in Marketing and have a badge to my name !

You really can't go wrong with a degree. Even if you end up in a position outside of your degree you won't have to deal with low paying jobs (for the most part).

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 pm
  • I was 54 when I received my Paralegal Degree and started my own business.

You are never too old for a new adventure!!
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:55 pm
  • Dont have time right now for a detailed post..but I think you need to look carefully at the visa situation. The US is very strict on issuing work visas, etc and even more so after 9.11. Its not like the Commonwealth.

Even with an MBA, the US doesnt just see youre educated and capable and let you in.. a company that wants to hire you has to essentially prove no American can do the same job.

If you can swing it, the best way, as someone mentioned here, is to do your studies in the US. Once finished you qualify for a 1 year Practical Training visa.. hopefully it all adds up to 5 years..if youve been in the US continuously for 5 years I believe you qualify for a Green Card.

Cant speak to the situation in Canada, but its probably at least slightly more promising as Commonwealth countries tend to be a bit easier with other Commonwealth members.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:47 pm
  • Vetamur wrote:Dont have time right now for a detailed post..but I think you need to look carefully at the visa situation. The US is very strict on issuing work visas, etc and even more so after 9.11. Its not like the Commonwealth.

Even with an MBA, the US doesnt just see youre educated and capable and let you in.. a company that wants to hire you has to essentially prove no American can do the same job.

If you can swing it, the best way, as someone mentioned here, is to do your studies in the US. Once finished you qualify for a 1 year Practical Training visa.. hopefully it all adds up to 5 years..if youve been in the US continuously for 5 years I believe you qualify for a Green Card.

Cant speak to the situation in Canada, but its probably at least slightly more promising as Commonwealth countries tend to be a bit easier with other Commonwealth members.

Vetamur is 100% right. The United States is the biggest pain in the ass for Visa's. It's a huge gripe here in the startup world where extreme talent from across the world is consistently denied.

I don't think Canada is the same way though. They seem very open to immigration, especially skilled workers.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:17 pm
  • I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I think us euros don't realise what a closed shop North America is. They will let you over there to study, but of course they charge many multiples of what you would have to pay for university tuition in the UK (if you have to pay at all). If you are to get a job there, the employer will have to demonstrate why they were unable to fill the position from a US resident. And if you have your own business, I think you have to demonstrate that you have a ridiculous amount of cash behind you.

Honestly, I think your best bet would be to do your accountancy qualification and then go to work in oil in Aberdeen with the hope of getting a move with a US company, and even then it will probably only get you as far as Houston. Can I make a suggestion? If you are going to go to uni for at least a year anyway, why not just leave the workforce a few months prior to this and try to get a place as a camp counsellor at a summer camp? Many years ago I thought about doing this, so spent the time getting some formal soccer coaching qualifications to assist. My circumstances changed, but itmightbe an easy route to an extended US sojourn.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Tue May 06, 2014 5:37 am
  • Just a update folks

I have had an interview to gain entry into the HND Marketing course for one of the main colleges in Glasgow.

I have been approved and will start the course this fall. :thirishdrinkers:

Its a 2 year course and I think is a associates degree in American terms not to sure ?
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Tue May 06, 2014 2:05 pm
  • Listen my man, it is NEVER too late to do anything in life. You just go for it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue May 06, 2014 9:08 pm
  • The Radish wrote:My friend we all face those decisions,,its just life. Do what you think is the best for you with the information you have now and don't look back.

I took a path years ago that turned out to be the wrong one but looking back I know that I made the best decision I could have made with information then available. Took about 4 years to see I had made the wrong choice but oh well, that's life in the big city.

Best of luck.

:les:

That's actually great advice Les, you have to base things off the information and facts of the present. There are some decesions in life (I'm an immature 45) that I would have done differently, Others I would have done the same in hindsight. About 4 major decesions from the age of 20 - 25. Wish I would have been nicer to some people, others I wish I was more of an a-hole to.

Can't worry about hindsight, have to do what you feel is the right thing now or the near future.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 10, 2014 6:49 pm
  • Always be true to yourself, follow your heart.
    IMHO you will never have regrets.

I've worked in my field for 25 years now, although I could have made more money in that time doing something else, I enjoy what I do.
    Although many see things differently, enjoying what you do makes you a success. IMHO
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue May 13, 2014 3:04 pm
  • Thanks guys I'm excited for the future now !
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Tue May 13, 2014 5:19 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Always be true to yourself, follow your heart.
    IMHO you will never have regrets.

I've worked in my field for 25 years now, although I could have made more money in that time doing something else, I enjoy what I do.
    Although many see things differently, enjoying what you do makes you a success. IMHO

Exactly! If you love what you do, it isn't a job.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 13, 2014 10:14 pm
  • I should pipe up I suppose... At age 47 (early 2007) I quit my job and went to college full time. A nasty motorcycle wreck gave me enough $$ to support this. In the next 4 years I got an Associates degree in engineering then a Bachelors degree in electrical engineering. Got a job and went back part time to get a Masters in electrical engineering (will graduate June 2015). Wish I'd of done this 30 years ago, or at least 20 years ago. If I'd of done it 20 years ago I'd of had a Masters when I was 37, which is plenty of time to earn back the rewards of hard work many times over. As Dear Abby used to say when people would write in and say "Do you realize how old I'll be in 4 years if I go to college and get a degree?", she would reply "And how old will you be in 4 years if you don't?"
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed May 14, 2014 5:32 am
  • ^ Pat for the WIN.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 15, 2014 1:26 pm
  • Regarding the suggestions to study in the US, student visas are non-immigrant visas and do not count towards the 5 year residency requirement for a green card.
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information