The Continuing Journeys of the Hawk Hat

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • OK Guido, your solid sportsmanship and all around sense of fair play makes me have to let you in on a secret. I always root for the Saints unless a Saint's win will hurt the Seahawks. If you don't mind though, we will keep that between us. No one here needs to know that.

(there is something wrong with that, I just can't put my finger on it). :229031_confused2:

Save a place at the table for us Big Willie.
    Kansashawkfan
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Kansashawkfan wrote:OK Guido, your solid sportsmanship and all around sense of fair play makes me have to let you in on a secret. I always root for the Saints unless a Saint's win will hurt the Seahawks. If you don't mind though, we will keep that between us. No one here needs to know that.

(there is something wrong with that, I just can't put my finger on it). :229031_confused2:

Completely between you and me.
    Saints Fan Since 1967, but ...

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Confuseopsicle wrote:As a WA native who's now about an hour west of Shreveport, I absolutely love this thread more than words can express. Guido you are amazing! And I know that Hawk Hat is having the time of his life!

Welcome to Seahawks.net You've come on board at a very good time.

:th2thumbs:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Guido, You need a Super Bowl Pin to go on the hat with its journey.
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• Guido you've sold me on Louisiana - I must take the family there now. What a great place it looks like. We will buy many, many beads and given your efforts, a Saints hat is in order too.
    Penman96
    NET Rookie

• Penman96 wrote:Guido you've sold me on Louisiana - I must take the family there now. What a great place it looks like. We will buy many, many beads and given your efforts, a Saints hat is in order too.

We have barely dipped our toes into the water. We are going to see and do things I haven't gone to or done in years. We'll see nightlife, wildlife, art, festivals, sports, concerts, landscapes and cityscapes. Oh, and lots and lots of food. And mudbug season is just around the corner so I guarantee you we will have more than one crawfish boil.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• AsylumGuido wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Love that "Crawfish Capital" shirt. I'd wear the hell out of that as a souvenir. But Hawk Hat with the sunglasses and sunscreen, for some reason, struck me as the funniest so far. Great stuff, man.

Maybe we can work something out on the shirt. Let me check out the price and have my wife give me the quote on shipping. PM me if you are truly interested.

Ha! I was thinking about that regarding my last trip through Louisiana - a real doozie of a voodoo-infused, lost-in-every-place-imaginable, way-too-much-good-food kind of way. Part of it was an amazingly fun blast; part of it was a holy-hell-we-can't-get-out-of-here-fast-enough nightmare. All in all, some terrific memories.

If I took anyone up on something like that, it'd have to be part of a unique bet a la this thread. We'll see.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• The Radish wrote:
    Confuseopsicle wrote:As a WA native who's now about an hour west of Shreveport, I absolutely love this thread more than words can express. Guido you are amazing! And I know that Hawk Hat is having the time of his life!

Welcome to Seahawks.net You've come on board at a very good time.

Thanks Radish!
    Confuseopsicle
    NET Bench Warmer

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 2/20/2014 - It's all Greek to me ***

It was a long busy day this Thursday and Hawk Hat and I decided we didn't have it in us to cook that night, so we hit the road and headed for Greece. Well, not exactly Greece, but Greek Corner, a Mediterranean cuisine restaurant a short way up the road. I called in our order immediately before leaving so Hawk Hat and I would have a few minutes to take a picture or two. As soon as we entered the door a likely roost for Hawk Hat stood out sitting at a table with three male companions. After checking in at the counter we went to their table and I explained the journey. I pointed out that I try to take a picture of Hawk Hat with someone at the location whenever possible and amongst the four of them her friends could not argue with my choice. Samantha gladly obliged.

Greek Corner serves a variety of Mediterranean delights ranging from Yeros and Shawarma, to Kabobs and Panini. You can start with Dolmades or Spanakopita or a fresh Lentil Bean Soup. And, of course, there is always the homemade Baklava for dessert.

While waiting I let Hawk Hat enjoy a little of the decor.

Nothing get more Mediterranean than seasoned olive oils, right?

The owner and chef, Haitham, and his wife are Lebanese by origin and moved here to Bossier City from Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans and the home of the Saints headquarters. His menu goes well beyond the run of the mill Greek restaurant fare and features other tastes of the region, including Lebanese. I always try to poke my head into the kitchen whenever I drop by to say hello to my friend and envy his domain. Here Haitham and Hawk Hat have just removed a pan of one of my all-time favorites from the oven, Mousaka. It smelled like Heaven.

We brought home Kabobs with all the trimmings for Mrs. Guido and myself, her opting for chicken and me the lamb.

Until the next Journey,

Hawk Hat and Guido!

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Thank you Guido,
    This is a most fun thread to follow.

Go Hawks,
    BillA
    Never use a quiet tool, when a loud one will do
    Bill Assumpcao
    NET Starter

• Guido you're choice of HH ladys is getting better by the day. lol

That looks like a neat place to visit.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• AsylumGuido wrote:We have barely dipped our toes into the water. We are going to see and do things I haven't gone to or done in years. We'll see nightlife, wildlife, art, festivals, sports, concerts, landscapes and cityscapes. Oh, and lots and lots of food. And mudbug season is just around the corner so I guarantee you we will have more than one crawfish boil.

Speaking of "toes into the water" & "mudbug"...

>>> http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210390 <<<

If you haven't planned for it already - I highly recommend finding a jetski for you, your spouse and the Hawk Hat to attend this event in SOLA. It's an absolute must for native Louisianians. :D I made the trip (from Seattle :shock:) in 2010 and spent a week tearing up the bayou with about 200 instant friends from all over the country. Best time I've ever had!!! :th2thumbs: I absolutely love the SOLA peeps! Friendliest people on the planet.
    Loudest stadium in the WORLD >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYwGDOlaPQ4 <<<
    FairWeatherFan
    NET Rookie

• Guido,

The travels and writes ups are awesome. You my man have a special place in the land of 12. You have earned every bit of it.
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• EntiatHawk wrote:Guido,

The travels and writes ups are awesome. You my man have a special place in the land of 12. You have earned every bit of it.

I thank you and hope to have a little something up tonight. I've been slowed a bit by a bum back today. Probably came from clearing the leaves out of the pool.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Here you would need to get the ice out ;) We had snow this morning.
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 2/22/2014 - 2/23/2014 - Weekend Chores ***

This past weekend Hawk Hat and I were a bit domestic and hung around the Casa enjoying the 80 degree weather while preparing meals and doing a few chores. Yet, meal preparation almost always means a trip to one of the stores. This weekend we decided to head north of Bossier City about six miles to the Brookshire's in the small hamlet of Benton. This store has an excellent produce department and we were hunting for some hardy peppers.

As per usual, Hawk Hat and I make the required visit:

After the soulful cleansing we were in the best frame of mind to head to Benton. The highlight of the trip was a stop along the highway to give Hawk Hat a chance to meet a new friend.

All in all, the quick trip north brought us exactly what we were looking for, a quartet of assorted bell peppers perfect for stuffing.

As you may have noticed in a recent post, I was whining about a bit of back pain most likely brought on by cleaning up the pool a bit. That is the task that Hawk Hat and I chose to undertake that beautiful weekend. Of course, Hawk hat spent most of the time simply sitting around watching ...

... and sitting around floating ...

... and back sitting around watching ...

... but, a bit of drama occurred when a sudden gust of wind launch Hawk Hat into the pool. I must say, he took to the water like a fish. He floated to the edge like a champ with no problem at all.

After the session of pool cleaning and Hawk Hat's doing his imitation of Mark Spitz, we went inside to finish up dinner. The stuffed peppers turned out fantastic.

Country style stewed potatoes and some mixed greens made a perfect compliment. And you cannot have a meal like this without the skillet cornbread.

After cleaning up following the meal it was time for Hawk Hat and I to relax with a couple of Abita Madri Gras Bocks.

That's it for now,

Hawk Hat and Guido!

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• This is like, the best thread EVER! Love you Guido! I think it's time for you to ditch your alliance to the Saints and just admit your 12th Man status! Keep the Saints as your 2nd team, but pack it up and move up here buddy. Much less humid in the Summer, and we have real seasons! Thanks for all your posts here. They. Are. AWESOME! :D

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:This is like, the best thread EVER! Love you Guido! I think it's time for you to ditch your alliance to the Saints and just admit your 12th Man status! Keep the Saints as your 2nd team, but pack it up and move up here buddy. Much less humid in the Summer, and we have real seasons! Thanks for all your posts here. They. Are. AWESOME! :D

Sorry, but that can never happen. The Saints are totally ingrained into my being. I have been there since the beginning and will be there the rest of my life. Besides, I like humid. I love HOT. I love Louisiana.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• AG you rock, thoroughly enjoying this thread and the peak into life on the Bayou. Thanks for all the effort. Well done Sir.
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

• AG's reaction to HH falling in the pool;

'Hawk Hat! Hawk Haaaaaaaaat! Hawk Hat I'm sorry!!'

Still loving the thread Guido, brilliant stuff.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• Another lazy day for the Hawk Hat ;)
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• Geez I'm drooling here jealous of that food :(
    randomation
    NET Rookie

• randomation wrote:Geez I'm drooling here jealous of that food :(

Wait until you see what is coming tonight.

:twisted:

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• I am jealous of the food, and the hat. Damn hat is leading a much better life than I am at the moment. Thanks for this thread, I am enjoying it so much!
    It's about damn time TEZ is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Starter

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 3/1/2014 - Poke In The Eye ***

You know what they say about best laid plans and all, right? I had wanted my 20-year-old to take Hawk Hat to the Krewe of Gemini Mardi Gras parade today and bring back some very interesting shots. Unfortunately, Hawk Hat was with me 40 miles away in the country south of the single intersection metropolis of Keatchie, Louisiana when he left for the parade with his friends. I was very disappointed.

But, this brought to mind a saying that was introduced to me by a great grandfather over a half century ago …

“It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.”

I pretty much live daily by that philosophy and make the best of a situation because things don’t always go as planned and could always be worse. Therefore, Hawk Hat and I decided to make lemonade out of lemons. Well, actually, we decided to make seafood gumbo out of some leftover beginning of a stock from a lobster dinner the night before.

There are two main categories of cooking styles native to Louisiana, Cajun and Creole. You can think of Cajun as “country” food and Creole as “city” food. Today we ventured into the world of “les Acadians” or Cajun with the seafood gumbo. One of the hallmarks of Cajun cooking includes what we call the “Holy Trinity” which is comprised of onions, bell pepper and celery. Garlic could be considered a kissing cousin, as well. There are two varieties of seafood gumbo. One uses file (sassafras leaves) as a thickening agent, while the other uses okra. Today we used what I prefer, okra.

In addition to a couple of pounds of shrimp and a pint of freshly shucked oysters, Hawk Hat and I always use gumbo crabs. Gumbo crabs are perfectly sized crabs that have been pre-boiled and are ready to be added to your recipe.

Seafood Gumbo is made from a slow cooked stock made from the leftover carcasses of crustaceans and/or liquor of oysters.

The other major component of any gumbo is the roux. Roux is made from an equal mixture of some form of fat and flour slowly cooked to the right degree of darkness depending upon what the dish requires. Cajun roux is usually made with oil while a Creole roux is primarily made using butter.

It takes about 30 minutes of almost constant stirring to bring the roux to this rich caramel coloring. If we were working on an etouffee we would have taken it to a copper penny red color. Other dishes would require a much lighter tan.

Once the roux is ready we add the Trinity and garlic and simmer until soft.

Next added are stewed tomatoes (another Cajun versus Creole difference) and sautéed okra and soon thereafter the stock, seasonings and quartered crabs. This is simmered for about two hours. I then add the rest of my seafood (shrimp, crawfish, lump crabmeat and/or raw oysters) about 15 minutes before serving.

All gumbos are served over rice and there is no better rice in the world than Zatarain's for this purpose.

And here is what it looks like once it is served.

Yes, I am sure an adventure to a Mardi Gras parade would have been more exciting, but you know what they say, poke in the eye ...

Bon Appetit,

Hawk Hat and Guido!

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Nice, Guido!
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Guido, I am a hungry now. Man that looks delicious. Wishing I was the Hawk Hat :)
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• Looks awesome, but you won't just leave us with "seasonings" will you? Would appreciate more details sir...please?

Thanks and looking forward to more Hawk Hat dinners. He's gonna get fat. :)

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Rookie

• StoneCold wrote:Looks awesome, but you won't just leave us with "seasonings" will you? Would appreciate more details sir...please?

Thanks and looking forward to more Hawk Hat dinners. He's gonna get fat. :)

SC

I look into posting a recipe soon.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Guido I've been sick as a parrot the last few days with a vomiting bug, your seafood gumbo is the first food I've been able to look at without feeling sick since Thursday, so for that I thank you! Now...don't suppose you wanna make some more and whizz it out to me? Its only 4000 miles, no biggy...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• By the way, did any of you catch the Oscars last night? Did you hear Jared Leto, Best Supporting Actor winner, start off his speech mentioning our hamlet of Bossier City, Louisiana, his hometown?

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• AsylumGuido wrote:By the way, did any of you catch the Oscars last night? Did you hear Jared Leto, Best Supporting Actor winner, start off his speech mentioning our hamlet of Bossier City, Louisiana, his hometown?

I did, thats your place? Awesome. In case you don't know/are interested he is also lead singer of a very successful rock band called Thirty Seconds to Mars, along with his brother Shannon, who plays drums.

This is a song from their second album, with the video shot in Greenland.

This is another song of theirs, Closer to the Edge, with a very touching music video (and Jared rocking a bright pink mohawk!)

Immensely talented man, whose band and lyrics have been a huge inspiration and support to me personally.

HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• Since this thread has turned into an epic, multi-topic piece, that has drifted away from the Seattle Seahawks, I'm moving it over into our Lounge to blossom.

Cooking, music, and life in New Orleans (which I need to check out...) is a unique thing, and the Hawk Hat will have done a lot of stuff in a year's time. Let's keep this deal going in here.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• I will add that the last two summers I've gone to New Orleans for 4 or 5 days for a conference, and it's fabulous. Stayed in the quarter and absolutely loved the place. Drove to Mississippi and the area is exactly what it's cracked up to be. It would be a nice vacation for a lot of people from the PNW.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• What a great thread to follow! Really enjoying all of it Guido, the hat, the food and the culture. I can only imagine what the hat
    will look like in a year. Me and the fam used to live in Little Rock, Arkansas and Okra was a big part of almost every meal.
    Haven't had it in awhile, gonna have to include it in a few meals in the future. Just curious, were you a chef at one time or
    just love to cook? either way, keep it up! I have also cheered for your Saints in the past and as long as they don't effect what
    my Hawks are doing I will keep cheering for them!
    oldschlhwkfn
    NET Practice Squad

• oldschlhwkfn wrote:What a great thread to follow! Really enjoying all of it Guido, the hat, the food and the culture. I can only imagine what the hat
    will look like in a year. Me and the fam used to live in Little Rock, Arkansas and Okra was a big part of almost every meal.
    Haven't had it in awhile, gonna have to include it in a few meals in the future. Just curious, were you a chef at one time or
    just love to cook? either way, keep it up! I have also cheered for your Saints in the past and as long as they don't effect what
    my Hawks are doing I will keep cheering for them!

Never a chef, but have cooked since I was very young. I used to enjoy it far more when I didn't have to do it.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 3/3/2014 - Cocina en Louisiana Mexicana ***

In addition to the Cajun and Creole fare available throughout the state of Louisiana, there is also a strong affinity for both Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican food in the northwestern corner where Hawk Hat and I reside. Bossier City has an established Mexican population which means that their traditional foods are in ready supply. Today Hawk Hat and I picked up a few supplies to throw together a traditional Mexican dish, habas con nopales (beans with cactus).

After getting the beans simmering on the stove, Hawk Hat and I cleaned the nopales ... carefully. Those needles are very painful. I know from experience. The cleaning was accomplished by scraping the leaf from the base to the tip on each side until all of the needles are gone. Then we trimmed off all of the edges leaving a smooth surface. The leaves were then cut into small strips about a third of an inch wide and about an inch long. After rinsing, we placed them all in a pot of water seasoned with a bit of chopped garlic and cooked them until softened. The taste of nopales would be best described as a cross between a very mild chile pepper and a green onion.

As far as I am concerned, the universal ingredient in any type of cooked bean dish has to be ham hocks. The smoked pork ankle was added to the beans, along with a bit of the variety of peppers pictured above. The ham hock gives the beans most of the needed salt, so we only added black pepper and cumino, one of my favorite seasonings in many types of cooking. Diced onions and garlic were also included.

We simmered the beans for about four hours adding water as needed and finally adding a tiny bit of sea salt to taste. The nopales were added for the final 20 minutes of the cooking process. We served the beans, topped with crumbled queso fresco, along with beef brisket enchiladas (not pictured), tostadas and rice.

Disfrute, mis amigos!

Hawk Hat and Guido!
    Last edited by AsylumGuido on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• You even make friggin' cactus look tasty. Nice work!
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Damn Quido that looks wonderful. Only problem is since your into Tex-Mex stuff now that damned pmedic will show up with some receipe of his blonde bombshell wife.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• With that food you are making me very hungry!
    Happy NFL Training Camp!
    Passepartout
    NET Practice Squad

• Passepartout wrote:With that food you are making me very hungry!

Wait until crawfish season gets into full swing.

But, Hawk Hat and I have some really cool stuff upcoming in the next couple of weeks.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Whew! Haven't been on board for several days. Thought the Hawk Hat may have been accidentally boiled to death in roux and the whole darn thread was gone! Praise God it was only moved.

Save a place at the table for us Big Willie.
    Kansashawkfan
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 3/11/2014 - 21st Birthday! ***

Well, Guido's youngest son turned 21 today and we asked him where he wanted to go for "the" dinner. He told us Superior Grill. Now, Superior has some fine Mexican food and among the best margaritas in the two city area, but we were expecting somewhere much fancier.

He chose well.

Here is my son, Cameron, Hawk Hat, and the beautiful Mrs. Guido awaiting the food.

My wife had the camerones ... hmmmm? Coincidence?

I settled for the El Paso which had my favorite, a cheese chile relleno, along with a chicken and a cheese enchilada, tamale and a taco el carbon.

As dinner wound down, the evening's band, The Caravan, hit the stage ... along with Hawk Hat, of course.

The very talented lead female vocalist, Jessica Janét, did Hawk Hat proud.

Following the first set the band found out that it was not only Cameron's 21st birthday, but they also discovered he was the lead singer in his own band. His reaction when he was invited upon the stage?

But, armed with a couple of margaritas and a lovely partner, Cameron and Hawk Hat took the stage.

The video follows ...

Cameron and Hawk Hat performing on stage.

Happy Birthday,

Hawk Hat and Guido!

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Any way for non-facebookers to see the vid?
    crucifyd
    NET Practice Squad

• crucifyd wrote:Any way for non-facebookers to see the vid?

Haven't figured that out yet.

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Guido exuding class.....go figure !!!!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Really cool update Guido. Looks like you had a lot of fun and that food looks awesome. Happy Birthday to your son.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 3/11/2014 - Lagniappe - 21st Birthday! ***

Figured it out ... video for non-facebookers ...

Cameron and Hawk Hat performing on stage.

Oh, by the way, "lagniappe" is a fairly common word used in Louisiana. It means a little something extra. So here is some Hawk Hat lagniappe ... Sonny, the horse.

Happy Birthday, again ...

Hawk Hat and Guido!

Seahawks >= Saints

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• AsylumGuido wrote:Figured it out ... video for non-facebookers ...

thanks Guido
    crucifyd
    NET Practice Squad

• Bravo Guido, Bravo!
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information