The Continuing Journeys of the Hawk Hat

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Just wish it said NFC Conference champions instead of division.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• 253hawk wrote:Just wish it said NFC Conference champions instead of division.

Don't worry, I have a feeling you will be able to get one that says "NFL Champions" soon.

P.S. Hawk Hat and I have a special edition due later this evening.
    Saints Fan Since 1967, but ...

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• E.C. Laloosh wrote:Wow, I don't know why but I ignored this thread until now. My hat is off to you, Guido! Thoroughly enjoyed this thread thus far...

HH hanging with the New Orleans merchandise was good.

I am happy you joined in, E.C. This Journey is for y'all. Okay, I'll also admit it is a cleansing for me.

:th2thumbs:

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Fantastic thread. Probably top five all-time .NET threads already. Well done, Guido! Well done!

And glad to see I'm not the only one who was getting famished seeing all those food pics. Louisiana has some terrific food; I can attest so firsthand.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• You're one hell of a dude Guido, glad to have you around here.
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• Guido, you are mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!

Great thread.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• guido, I am impressed with your creativeness and ability to put aside personal passion. I have gotten better but I still have a hard time reconciling myself to loss. good going bud. you are an opposing fan I could get along with :thirishdrinkers:
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Veteran

• falcongoggles wrote:This is very well done. Roland, had you lost, would have gone to these lengths?

I think we can all agree that Roland would have used the hat to scoop kitty litter.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    falcongoggles wrote:This is very well done. Roland, had you lost, would have gone to these lengths?

I think we can all agree that Roland would have used the hat to scoop kitty litter.

Seriously, I am the guy that had to wear full facial makeup for a day and in public at an Olive Garden, and I posted a pic of it on this forum. I totally would have taken one for the team had we lost!
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 1/28/2014 - Oprah … Uma … Uma … Oprah. ***

Today I decided to introduce Hawk Hat to the only other NFL cap I have ever worn other than that of my beloved Saints. The irony of the circumstances behind this happening triggered many important memories. We will share them tonight.

Tonight Hawk Hat met Steeler Cap.

Retreating back into the memories of that year I remember the devastation wrought by the failed levees caused by Katrina and the damnation of our season as Saints fans. As the season wore on, fully understanding the dilemma that my Saints were facing I latched onto two teams to follow past the regular season. As a forever NFC fan I began supporting the run of the Seahawks. But, in the other conference there existed a late season hot upstart that may be able to make a run … the Steelers.

One very special friend and an acquaintance tipped the scales of balance into the favor of the Pittsburgh Steelers for me. As much as I appreciated the spunk of the Seahawks, I could not abandon what would be a very special time for my friend, Kaye.

I met Kaye back in the late ‘70’s when she was one of the starting forwards on the North Carolina State University woman’s basketball team. The other starting forward was her twin sister, Faye. I remember Kaye as a bubbling personality, beautiful and caring.

Here is a picture I took of Kaye, Faye and several of their friends at a softball game in 1979. Kaye and Faye are left and right on the second row from the top.

I remember hanging out with all the girls on road trips and especially disco dancing with Kaye at a Raleigh dance club. I remember all the games that I traveled with the team as a photographer through the season and into the postseason. Kaye and Faye gained a certain level of fame and earned a spot in a Wrigley’s Doublemint commercial and when both spent a time in professional basketball, a Dannon Yogurt ad.

During our time at NCSU Kaye met a guy named Bill. I met Bill in passing on several occasions, but it is Kaye that I really remember.

This brings us to the rest of the story …

Kaye Young married the outstanding linebacker of the same class at NCSU, Bill Cowher, and was there by his side when the Steelers faced the Seahawks in the 2006 Super Bowl. I bought the cap to support my old friend and her husband and wore it throughout the game.

Under five years later, Kaye died after a battle with skin cancer leaving Bill with three daughters. It came as a total shock to me when she passed and is probably not well known by the general following of the NFL. I am sure this is why Bill left coaching as he wanted to spend the time with Kaye before her death and with his girls after.

Not sure where Hawk Hat and I were going with this, other than to say that today’s Journey took us far back and brought back many special times, happy and sad. But, you cannot define a real journey up front and along its unknown path many discoveries are made. The Journey is defined by the act. I hope y’all gained a little from this installment in the Journey. I know Hawk Hat and I have.

Until the next time …

P.S. Friends, note that the only time I ever wore a cap from any other team during the Super Bowl ... they won.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Seriously, I am the guy that had to wear full facial makeup for a day and in public at an Olive Garden, and I posted a pic of it on this forum. I totally would have taken one for the team had we lost!

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 1/29/2014 - Have you got a spare? ***

Today is Wednesday and that can only mean one thing … league bowling night! Tonight Hawk Hat got to experience a night at the lanes, to be precise, Holiday Lanes.

Of course, when with Guido you don’t go in through the front entrance, you make a side trip through The Ten Pin Lounge and grab yourself an Abita Turbodog from the bartender. As you can see, Hawk Hat assisted.

Hawk Hat also saw a good deal of Cindy, our lane server, as the evening progressed. I think he liked the color of her shirt. Although, I felt Cindy was not terribly enthused with wearing Hawk Hat.

Hawk Hat seemed as though he would have wanted to get in on the action, but it would be a bit difficult without fingers … or a thumb … or legs.

Oh, and for those of you following our dinner preparation, we made chicken enchiladas and cilantro rice.

Bon appetit!

All in all, Hawk Hat had another small, albeit mundane, adventure to report back to his fans at .NET.

Until the next time,

Hawk Hat and Guido

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Loving the hawk hat journey. Although I think I come here just as much for your food updates. If you ever need a hawk fan to put under your hawk hat during dinner hit me up!
    knewch
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• knewch wrote:Loving the hawk hat journey. Although I think I come here just as much for your food updates. If you ever need a hawk fan to put under your hawk hat during dinner hit me up!

If you are ever in Northwest Louisiana look me up.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• You are too kind. (And I seriously will). :-) likewise, if your ever in eastern washington and like grass fed beef PM me. Fresh off the ranch!
    knewch
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• knewch wrote:You are too kind. (And I seriously will). :-) likewise, if your ever in eastern washington and like grass fed beef PM me. Fresh off the ranch!

Absolutely.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 2/1/2014 - Superb Owl Eve - Early check in. ***

Hawk Hat and I are thinking that y'all may be a little preoccupied about right now. Therefore, we're just going to make a quick visit.

Roland, guess what I found in Walmart recently? If it all came down to that option, you could have been wearing this tomorrow. Never seen them there before.

But, back to Hawk Hat's Journey. Tonight we are working on some of our Superb Owl food for tomorrow. Any guesses as to what we are working on?

See y'all soon,

Hawk Hat and Guido

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Oh man that food, Guido you make me hungry every time I see it, and what I love the most is how colorful all southern food seems to be. and the spices I just can't get enough.. Time for me to looks up some recipes for my wife.. haha
    Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• Seriously, Guido...you are the best non-hawk fan I have ever seen on here.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Well done. With that many and flavor of peppers, I have to guess that it will be a Gumbo...but Jumbalaya was on my mind. I am gonna have to
    ask a friend to make some for me. She lives not too far away and I can probably get her to make it for me...maybe....

Love the posts.
    Someday...back to Louisiana. I have a friend that moved there for a job and they get snow because he is there. LMAO.

:)
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Looks like you are gonna whip up some chili! Yum.
    Kakaww
    NET Rookie

• Kakaww wrote:Looks like you are gonna whip up some chili! Yum.

You got that right! Nothing better for a Superb Owl than a batch of kick ass chili. Note my two special ingredients, the chocolate and beer. Many other things go in, but those made the best picture.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Looking forward to the pics of you watching the game with the hat.

This thread is one of the best on this forum. And not because it's some guy walking around with a Seahawks hat. I'm talking about the food, the culture, the insight into a region that I might never get to visit personally. I LOVE IT.

Keep it comin, bro!
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Wonder if we can pin this back in the main forum again???
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Looking forward to the Super Bowl pictures.

And more food. Because I am American, and that means I love food, dammit.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• HansGruber wrote:Looking forward to the pics of you watching the game with the hat.

This thread is one of the best on this forum. And not because it's some guy walking around with a Seahawks hat. I'm talking about the food, the culture, the insight into a region that I might never get to visit personally. I LOVE IT.

Keep it comin, bro!

I'll have the pic up this evening. We went live on a new claims system at work yesterday and I have been a bit swamped. I should be okay starting tonight.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• AsylumGuido wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Looking forward to the pics of you watching the game with the hat.

Keep it comin, bro!

I'll have the pic up this evening. We went live on a new claims system at work yesterday and I have been a bit swamped. I should be okay starting tonight.

Hey, take your time. It's all good. Think I'll go cook up some more of that recipe you posted.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 2/2/2014 - The Bet Satisfied ***

Well, the BIG day had finally arrived. The final two teams representing the opposing conferences of the NFL are due to meet. And all Seahawk fans are all looking toward one special moment … Guido paying off the key stipulation of the bet. It was a long day leading up to the much anticipated event.

Even though we traditionally avoid Super Bowl “parties”, we always make it a special point to spend much of the day snacking. This year was no different.

We started out with some potato-burger bites - small seasoned burger patties topped with cherry tomato slices and cheddar cheese served on waffle cut baked fries.

We followed that up later with artichoke and spinach dip.

Later we pigged out on grilled jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla And Asadero cheeses, bacon and chopped jalapenos.

At this this point it was finally nearing the kickoff of the big game and I realized we were running low on ice. I grabbed Hawk Hat and we headed down to the local Raceway station. As we were at the counter ordering two twenty pound bags of ice the clerk, Naser, asked me who I was pulling for in the game that night. I pointed at Hawk Hat and said, "Guess." I then queried, "And you," to which he replied, "The Broncos. I'm from Pittsburgh so it really doesn't matter, but I'm pulling for Manning." Regardless, I explained the Journey and asked him if he would don the cap and he complied.

And then, finally, with the game well underway, I got my wife to snap the promised photo ...

That's it for now,

Hawk Hat and Guido!

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• So good! Thanks for the pics.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• This is awesome. The post about Faye and Kaye made me tear up just a little. Also, Guido can clearly cook, but how about some props for his story telling skills? He really sets the scene with his descriptions and spins a good scéal as we say here. Also, Louisiana girls are pretty!

Also also...DAT tv! Niiiice.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• Good work completing the terms of the bet, Guido! Hmmm, you don't look all that pleased in the picture... :lol:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Good work completing the terms of the bet, Guido! Hmmm, you don't look all that pleased in the picture... :lol:

I didn't look as bad as Naser, the store clerk.

:lol:

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Good stuff Guido!
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• And then, finally, with the game well underway, I got my wife to snap the promised photo ...

That's it for now,

Hawk Hat and Guido!

Was that the pre-snap of the Simth pick 6? if it truly is MOJO!!!! :thirishdrinkers:

Thanks for the great post, True sportsmanship! Why don't you have your own cooking show!! :3:

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!!!
    The Seahawk Domination is upon us!
    SeahawksRawk
    * #1 TOP SUPPORTER *
    * #1 TOP SUPPORTER *

• SeahawksRawk wrote:Was that the pre-snap of the Simth pick 6? if it truly is MOJO!!!! :thirishdrinkers:

Nope, but it was that drive. They picked up a hard two yards for the first, then went 1st and 10 => 1st and 20 => 2nd and 22 => 3rd and 9 => pick six by Malcolm Smith. Pretty good mojo, indeed.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Guido you will always have a spot in our hearts.

What a great sport, and what a great deal you've made with the hat.

:th2thumbs:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• A Gentleman and more.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Damn those are some cheap cigarette prices you guys have down there!

This is an excellent thread and you're updates have been great. I especially love the food pictures, everything looks delicious!
    mbtitleist
    NET Rookie

• So mad I can't see the pics!! Regardless Guido you're ALL class.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Awesome work Guido! I am really enjoying the journey and you are a wonderful story teller.

P.S. And for some reason, I always seem to leave this thread with my mouth watering...
    gtcotcakya
    NET Rookie

• Northern Louisiana...or Southern Arkansas as we in real Louisiana call it. Kudos for holding up your end Guido.
    Louisiana has the most disloyal fanbase in the world.....
    cajunhawk
    NET Practice Squad

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:So mad I can't see the pics!! Regardless Guido you're ALL class.

Why can't you see the pics? Are you getting an error? I am hosting them on photobucket. You may have some sort of block going on with photobucket.com. Is one of you a Geek-type (complimentary, of course) that could help her out?

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• cajunhawk wrote:Northern Louisiana...or Southern Arkansas as we in real Louisiana call it. Kudos for holding up your end Guido.

We beg to differ up here. We are full-blown Louisianians around here. Don't you dare try to lump us in with those pig calling yahoos. Or with those Cowturd Texans.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Guido is the #1 guest fan on this board.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• AsylumGuido wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:So mad I can't see the pics!! Regardless Guido you're ALL class.

Why can't you see the pics? Are you getting an error? I am hosting them on photobucket. You may have some sort of block going on with photobucket.com. Is one of you a Geek-type (complimentary, of course) that could help her out?

It's blocked.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    AsylumGuido wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:So mad I can't see the pics!! Regardless Guido you're ALL class.

It's blocked.

What browser are you using?

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• AsylumGuido wrote:
    cajunhawk wrote:Northern Louisiana...or Southern Arkansas as we in real Louisiana call it. Kudos for holding up your end Guido.

We beg to differ up here. We are full-blown Louisianians around here. Don't you dare try to lump us in with those pig calling yahoos. Or with those Cowturd Texans.

Ahem...
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:
    AsylumGuido wrote:
    cajunhawk wrote:Northern Louisiana...or Southern Arkansas as we in real Louisiana call it. Kudos for holding up your end Guido.

Ahem...

Sorry, I am referring to those Dallas Cowturds (or Cowpatties, Cowgirls, etc.) that play in that huge monolith owned by Skeletor.

There are far too many Saints fans in and around Houston to ever lump them in that description.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• One of my favorite threads ever. Thanks Guido!
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I'm really annoyed at Guido.

I mean, he owned up to the bet and had all these awesome pics, but he couldn't make me some damn potato burger bites?!

(This was pretty awesome, to be serious!)
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information