The Continuing Journeys of the Hawk Hat

A collection of NET's best and most memorable threads. Predictions, debates, laughs, and X's & O's. Rating: PG to NC-17
Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:58 pm
  • These are the ...

Journeys of the Hawk Hat

The Journeys will begin as the result of a unique bet between the longtime visiting member, AsylumGuido, and the native member, RolandDeschain. The bet was proposed by Guido and eagerly accepted by Roland. The bet itself was unique in the fact that it was of a reverse nature. The winner would experience the expense, but the loser would bear the shame.

The bet constituted that the winner of the Seattle/New Orleans' playoff match-up would be required to supply the loser with a respectable NFL certified cap representing the winning team. This meant the winner must either purchase a new cap or a classic used cap of their beloved team. The loser was required to wear the cap during the Super Bowl and must prove the fact posted on the .NET via photographic evidence.

As is now obvious, I, Guido, have earned the responsibility to satisfy the terms of the bet as the aforementioned loser. But, I wish to take this responsibility a step further and not only share a single photo of the all important object of the bet, but to make it a year-long continuing journey.

First of all, this is the anticipated image supplied by our friend, Roland, of the subject of this journey. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

I have a feeling we will all gain a more personal understanding of the real Hawk Hat when it arrives and get to know it well.

As an aside, I do hope that this journey can be anchored to the top page so that the loyal members can easily follow.

Hawk's Hat will take a photographic and literary journey through the calendar year of Guido. The journey will begin on the day the subject arrives and will continue through numerous adventures, exciting and mundane, until one year later. What the future brings is yet to be seen.

I hope the members of the .NET will experience as much enjoyment of the Journey as I hope to relay.

The Journey Begins

Note: For ease of following the adventure, each entry by the Hawk's Hat will be preceded by a pronounced and well-defined bold heading in the post. This should allow the Journey's entries to be easily identified among reader responses.
    Last edited by AsylumGuido on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
    Saints Fan Since 1967, but ...

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Ha ha this is great.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Fantastic Guido!
    BullHawk33
    NET Rookie

• Excellent Guido! I look forward to your adventures...I think. ;)
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• You're a good egg Guido!
    SSEHAWK
    NET Practice Squad

• LymonHawk wrote:Excellent Guido! I look forward to your adventures...I think. ;)

We never know where we will go or what we will do.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• You da man Guido
    Hawkfan509
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• This thread is gonna be epic one way or another.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• very cool!

A true man of your word.
    Formula for success: Rise early, Work hard, repeat.
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

• I applaud you for being a good sport Guido, and I'm got a feeling it's going to be a humorous adventure. :)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Epic! Guido is the MANNNNNN!!!!! Looking forward to the conclusion of this thread! :th2thumbs:

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I am as confused, fearful and enthralled by this journey as are you all, or as we say here in Louisiana, y'all.
    AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• A True Fan and class act of the Saints. :th2thumbs:
    I will look forward to your adventures and also to your metamorphisis into
    A Seahawks fan. Good on ya for honoring your bet, as always you are a great Opp. Fan and I thank you for your contribution to the forums. :thirishdrinkers:
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

• SeaHawk80 wrote:A True Fan and class act of the Saints. :th2thumbs:
    I will look forward to your adventures and also to your metamorphisis into
    A Seahawks fan. Good on ya for honoring your bet, as always you are a great Opp. Fan and I thank you for your contribution to the forums. :thirishdrinkers:

I am sorry, my friend, but only death could possibly end the allegiance to my beloved Saints and even then I doubt it could be a hindrance.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Guido, bravo. I thought the bet itself was a great idea, and you turning it into a yearlong adventure takes it to a new level of awesomeness. I will eagerly look forward to your chronicles of the hat.
    tdigitee
    NET Rookie

• This is awesome, and I wholeheartedly approve. Buahahaha. Good work, Guido. I'm kind of disappointed that Amazon hasn't shipped the damn thing, yet. I just checked the status. Hrmph.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:This is awesome, and I wholeheartedly approve. Buahahaha. Good work, Guido. I'm kind of disappointed that Amazon hasn't shipped the damn thing, yet. I just checked the status. Hrmph.

Too bad. I am attending a Mardi Gras ball tomorrow night. The king of the krewe is on my bowling team. It would have made a great first public appearance. But, I see many adventures over the next twelve months.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• You da man, Guido! Class all the way, and a fun-loving guy, to boot.

:th2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• What a good sport AsylumGuido.
    :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers:
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• I will continue checking this thread with great anticipation.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I'm definitely looking forward to how this thread turns out. Kudos, Guido!
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Following this thread...
    IcedHawk
    NET Veteran

• AG, any chance you can increase the font size on the green letters in your sig? They are so small it is hard to read.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• I will pay for custom stitching that says. " Jimmy Graham Beast Mode game, 2014 divisional playoffs"
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• You sir have just created another reason for me to check here everyday.. well played sir
    [size=50]“Give me your Loud, your Proud,
    Your Jacked Up masses yearning to Scream free,
    The Winning refuse of your Sea Town shore.
    Send these, the Passionate, Loyal, to me:
    I lift my 12 Flag beside the Lombardi.”

― Emma Lazarus (If she was a 12) By BraHn
    [/size]
    Brahn
    NET Veteran

• AsylumGuido wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:This is awesome, and I wholeheartedly approve. Buahahaha. Good work, Guido. I'm kind of disappointed that Amazon hasn't shipped the damn thing, yet. I just checked the status. Hrmph.

Too bad. I am attending a Mardi Gras ball tomorrow night. The king of the krewe is on my bowling team. It would have made a great first public appearance. But, I see many adventures over the next twelve months.

I love that number...
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• LudwigsDrummer wrote:AG, any chance you can increase the font size on the green letters in your sig? They are so small it is hard to read.

Um, no. ;)

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Just chiming in to add my thumbs up.

You continue to show that you are the best opposing fan that has ever brightened our little corner of the interwebs
    and demonstrate behavior for me to strive for when I meet and greet people who happen to cheer for a different team than I do.
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

• AsylumGuido wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:This is awesome, and I wholeheartedly approve. Buahahaha. Good work, Guido. I'm kind of disappointed that Amazon hasn't shipped the damn thing, yet. I just checked the status. Hrmph.

Absolutely fantastic. Very well played. Look forward to a year of fun. My wife and I have been watching the series Treme on Amazon and we love the New Orleans as it's portrayed. Such a mix of cultures, traditions and history. Though we sometimes wonder if it's accurate. Are you familiar with the show and if so what's your take as a native?

Thanks,
    SC
    StoneCold
    NET Starter

• StoneCold wrote:
    AsylumGuido wrote:

Absolutely fantastic. Very well played. Look forward to a year of fun. My wife and I have been watching the series Treme on Amazon and we love the New Orleans as it's portrayed. Such a mix of cultures, traditions and history. Though we sometimes wonder if it's accurate. Are you familiar with the show and if so what's your take as a native?

Thanks,
    SC

I have not seen Treme myself and I live in northern Louisiana, but from what I have heard from many who do live in NOLA is that the series is very accurate. Louisiana is the most unique of all states. Its laws are based upon Napoleonic Code. Its native population is a unique mixture of cultures. It has two of the three oldest cities west of the Mississippi. Its food is diverse and incredible.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• Very honorable, sir. If you and the Hawk Hat ever make a trip down to New Orleans, I'd be my pleasure to join you in honoring your bet with a photo session by the Dome. :thirishdrinkers:
    :les: Image :les:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

• IronSaint wrote:Very honorable, sir. If you and the Hawk Hat ever make a trip down to New Orleans, I'd be my pleasure to join you in honoring your bet with a photo session by the Dome. :thirishdrinkers:

I will definitely bring Hawk Hat to the Dome. I want to take its picture with "Rebirth". It needs to visit Bourbon. It needs to do an after game at Mother's. Or a very late night after game at Coop's Place. Breakfast at Cafe du Monde. Too many possibilities.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• I almost NEVER do this.

Subscribed!
    Inspector
    NET Practice Squad

• AsylumGuido wrote:
    IronSaint wrote:Very honorable, sir. If you and the Hawk Hat ever make a trip down to New Orleans, I'd be my pleasure to join you in honoring your bet with a photo session by the Dome. :thirishdrinkers:

I will definitely bring Hawk Hat to the Dome. I want to take its picture with "Rebirth". It needs to visit Bourbon. It needs to do an after game at Mother's. Or a very late night after game at Coop's Place. Breakfast at Cafe du Monde. Too many possibilities.

Many many possibilities. Bringing people together :th2thumbs: . Reminds me of the epic adventures of "Bacon" whose 7 year World Journey originated down under .... in Australia Image
    Link to Bacon's Journeys >>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287919
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 1/20/2014 - Awaiting Arrival ***

Friends and other followers,

I have decided upon the above format to easily identify the official Hawk Hat postings in the thread. This should make it easier for any that choose to disregard ongoing discussion (why, I have no idea, but it gives an option) and and simply follow the Journey itself.

I expect the first order of business upon the arrival is to acclimate our subject to La Casa di Guido. This in itself will most likely be a huge cultural shock for headgear designed for a vastly different surrounding. The preponderance of black and gold may prove to be an obstacle. The climate itself could be a hurdle difficult to overcome. And how will Hawk Hat possibly mesh with Guido's wardrobe, or coexist with its fellow caps donning the wondrous Fleur de lis? These and other questions, far more enthralling, are likely to be raised over the coming year. Until then, we all anxiously await the arrival of our new guest ...

Hawk Hat

Along for the ride,

Guido

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• This is absolutely great and yes keep it on the front page seems like an awesome adventure!
    By the way I've been to N.O. Several times always love that city one of my favs
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

• Looking forward to the pictures and the travelogue. It's fantastic that you took a simple bet and turned it into something greater.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Ha......Most Excellent.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Pat O'Briens is a place that was told to me to be the place of Hurricaneology. I had one of them there back when and bought the glass too. It sits in a place of distinction in my humble abode. Have fun with this Sir Guido.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:Pat O'Briens is a place that was told to me to be the place of Hurricaneology. I had one of them there back when and bought the glass too. It sits in a place of distinction in my humble abode. Have fun with this Sir Guido.

I know the courtyard of Pat O's quite well. I have no doubt Hawk Hat will be making an appearance there, and other places in and around NOLA, at some various points this year.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 1/23/2014 - Louisville, Kentucky ***

The travel has officially begun. Hawk Hat (weighing in at 0.40 lb in full packaging) has crossed the borders of Washington state for the very first time since its original purchase. Its journey began at 5:27 PM local time on Wednesday the 22nd. At 9:12 PM, Hawk Hat departed the UPS facility in Redmond, WA in route to Seattle. It arrived in Seattle at 10:54 and took to the air sometime after 6:29 the following morning.

At 1:46 this afternoon, local time, Hawk Hat arrived in the home of the Louisville Slugger. I assume its stay will be brief if it hopes to meet it scheduled delivery of "Friday, 01/24/2014, By End of Day".

The anticipation grows. The first weekend will undoubtedly be a time of adjustment and I hope to give it (him? ... subconsciously I keep wanting to animate or personalize) time to assimilate, yet still provide daily entries in our blog.
    Last edited by AsylumGuido on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• This is my favorite thread ever.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• this is awesome. This is the way fans should behave. Good for you Guido!!!
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• EntiatHawk wrote:this is awesome. This is the way fans should behave. Good for you Guido!!!

I thank you for that. The playoff loss that launched this Journey tore my heart out for the third time in recent history at the hands of the Seahawks. Yet, as far too many NFL fans across the league do not understand, the fans of the opposing team played no part beyond wholehearted support in those events and in the end we are all the same.

It is not the colors nor the name nor the climate nor the culture that defines a true NFL fan. It is the game itself. Let us all just understand that we are just as much alike as we appear to be different.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• AG, I really do not know if I could do if it was that did it 49ers to us, maybe the same for you and the Falcons. But I look forward to the Journey of the Hat.

If it is any consolation I was really pulling for you all against the Colts. Loved the onside kick and all. My son got a Brees Fathead after that game, he was a bit of a Saint fan for a while (but he grew up ;).
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• *** Continuing Journeys of Hawk Hat - 1/24/2014 – 8:13 CST - The Delivery ***

The UPS tracking site simply stated the delivery was to occur by the end of the day, Friday, tonight. The familiar brown panel truck almost always makes its stops sometime between 6:00 and 7:00 PM every evening. I continuously looked out the window and checked the door as the clock moved past 7:00 and slowly progressed up to and beyond 8:00. I was attempting to cook dinner and keep an eye and ear on the now open front door. The unusually cold evening air radiated through the glass of the storm door. It was getting chilly in the front room, but I did not want to miss the delivery when, and if, it truly was to happen tonight.

I was trying to concentrate on cooking the corn tortilla shells in the hot peanut oil when I heard a knock on the glass of the door. I quickly moved the pan from the burner and sprinted to the door and threw it open. I called out to the driver as I swooped up the box at my feet. I called him back and explained the key role he had just played in the Journey. He reached out and took the box from my hand and smiled. I then logged the first picture of Hawk Hat at 8:17 PM.

When I asked him his name he replied, "Jackie. That's J - A - C - K - I - E, Jackie. Jackie Lewis." Jackie then trotted off to his panel truck and went on his way.

All 0.40 lbs. of Hawk Hat waiting to be freed from his (yes, I have decided "it" should be "he") travel package.

And a shot of our hero in his underwear.

And finally, the moment you have all been waiting for, Hawk Hat makes his first appearance in all of his glory.

Well, we must call it a night. Long day tomorrow ... for both of us.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• That's awesome.... Wasn't this thread a sticky at one time?
    :49ersmall: How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb? They don't, they just talk about the ones they had. :49ersmall:
    lsheldon
    NET Veteran

• lsheldon wrote:That's awesome.... Wasn't this thread a sticky at one time?

I am assuming there is either a limit to how many stickies there can be at once or that admin felt seven sticky threads at this time would be too many.

Nobody > Radish

AsylumGuido
    * Class Act Saints Fan *

• That is a pretty sweet lid... enjoy : )
    EntiatHawk
    NET Rookie

• Awesome thread Guido - sure it will stay front and center on page 1, sticky or not!

Quick note - didn't know UPS delivery was so high-tech in the south, are you sure that was his panel truck? Ole J - A - C - K - I - E looks like he's in the final phases of teleportation.
    Penman96
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE ARCHIVES ]

Information