Bandwagon Fans?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Bandwagon Fans?
Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:47 am
  • New to the forum, and recently came to root for the Hawks after they acquired Wilson (We're from the same area in Richmond). My question is how long time fans feel about all the new Seahawks fans out there? Here on the east coast in VA, we've always had fans of the Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles, Panthers, etc. but we never had many Seahawks fans until this season. Sports Illustrated had a cover story about the Seahawks a few months back. One line stood out the most to me. It was along the lines of Seahawks fans in Seattle, not entirely happy about Seahawks fans outside of the area. Any truth to that?

-Larry
    Jacklondon36
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Bandwagon Fans?
Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:06 pm
  • what team did you root for before?
    Also i dont think seattle fans care about fans who are not from seattle as long as they rooting for the hawks
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:24 pm
  • You're not a bandwagon fan as long as you're in it for the long-haul....as in pretty much forever. And if not, there is nothing wrong with being a bandwagon/fair-weather fan. The additional revenue from such fans pressures teams to perform better, which gives us a higher-quality product. Without them, you get the Seattle Mariners :( (I kid, I kid....sort of).
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:11 pm
  • I never really had a team before, I just enjoyed watching high action football. I like watching Peyton Manning play, but was never really a Colts fan. But the more i began to follow the Seahawks, the more the team and culture as a whole started to stand out to me. The players, the ownership, the coach, the Seattle area, and especially the fans really brought everything into perspective for me (not to get too deep). All of those things kind of brought me to where, i don't know, i could kind of identify with everything as a whole. There are no other fans in the NFL that can hold their own against Seahawks fans. They are the most loyal, dedicated, and really a member of the team. I don't really think any other US sport franchise can say that about their fan base.
    Jacklondon36
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:57 pm
  • There are some hard-liners that will kind of begrudge the newcomers to the fanbase, but no different than any other fanbase in my opinion. The fans feel they have a special bond with the team, the players and amongst themselves. You see a lot of Seahawks fans on twitter that support 12s following 12s, but we all are still people with differing tastes so you know there will be different points of view.

Our fanbase is not the largest so any and all newcomers should feel welcome. Other than battle scars there really isn't much we can hold our noses up about and who wants to brag about being a neurotic? :th2thumbs:

Welcome aboard the bandwagon. It is a fun team to follow and watching a game live should be something you try to get done. Come in Sep or Oct when the sun is still gracing us with its presence.

See you around.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 pm
  • There's a fair number of Seahawks fans up here in Northern Virginia/DC. They get together at a bar downtown. I jumped on board in 2005.
    capncrunch
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 pm
  • Couldn't care less as long as they abide by the following:

Learn the history
    Be dedicated
    Don't be obnoxious and give the fanbase a bad name. Otherwise, I will have issues.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:42 pm
  • I welcome all new fans. I think current fans who don't want people to jump on the bandwagon are few and far between. People have to start somewhere.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:23 pm
  • I started following the Hawks since 2006 (when the refs screwed us), which is when the game of football was relatively new to me. Never looked back since. I generally get real anxious during closely contested affairs and often berate the refs for terrible calls against the Seahawks!

I never thought I would get so attached to a team across the water but man.... I can't get enough of the Seahawks!
    British Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 pm
  • Welcome to the forum, Brit!
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Welcome to the forum, Brit!

Thanks my man! :D
    British Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:29 pm
  • If you decided this morning you were going to be a Hawk fan because they are good there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Don't pretend like you've been in a fan forever but length or sincerity of fandom really doesn't matter.

My wife is a great example. She hasn't really cared about the Hawks and now she's screaming at the TV with me.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:01 pm
  • Been rooting for the Hawks since Pete Carroll became coach. I never had a NFL team before but I've been a USC fan all my life. From Cali with love to Seattle Seahawks. Looking forward to making it up there for some games this new year and perhaps meeting some people from the forum for tailgates... Although I'm outnumbered by niner fans at my local sports bar, I will have my "Beast mode" shirt on and root on.

Go Hawks

Deafening Noise
    Deafening Noise
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 pm
  • I hate people that hate the hawks then all of a sudden love them. Drives me.nuts.
    Minne
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:15 pm
  • drdiags wrote:There are some hard-liners that will kind of begrudge the newcomers to the fanbase, but no different than any other fanbase in my opinion. The fans feel they have a special bond with the team, the players and amongst themselves. You see a lot of Seahawks fans on twitter that support 12s following 12s, but we all are still people with differing tastes so you know there will be different points of view.

Our fanbase is not the largest so any and all newcomers should feel welcome. Other than battle scars there really isn't much we can hold our noses up about and who wants to brag about being a neurotic? :th2thumbs:

Welcome aboard the bandwagon. It is a fun team to follow and watching a game live should be something you try to get done. Come in Sep or Oct when the sun is still gracing us with its presence.

See you around.

Pay no attention to Dr. Diags, he's only been around since the mid 1970s and has no clue what being a Seahawks fan is.

:sarcasm_off:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information