ROCKSMITH on XBOX for Christmas...WTF?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: ROCKSMITH on XBOX for Christmas...WTF?
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:46 am
  • Anguish wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I would suggest learning theory, as opposed to just playing along with a video, but that is just me. When I learned I had decided I wanted to understand how music is composed/written, and after I used about 15 different books, I wrote my own with charts for all kinds of things.

I can shred right along with our lead guitar player in my band, but he can't even hardly hold drum sicks....hahahaha.

I think it's absolutely important to have a basic understanding of music theory if a person is going to get involved with learning an instrument even if as a hobby or past time.

I would view Rocksmith as more of a fun way to practice than actually learning all of the intricacies of playing guitar. Everyone, at some point has to get their fingers to do what they want them to do accurately. This method is a hell of a lot more fun than sitting and running scale after scale and chord progression after chord progression. YMMV

I agree. And for most, its a true introductory to guitar. If somebody wants to pursue it further they can delve into music theory but it's not a necessity to wanting to learn to play and have fun.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I would suggest learning theory, as opposed to just playing along with a video, but that is just me. When I learned I had decided I wanted to understand how music is composed/written, and after I used about 15 different books, I wrote my own with charts for all kinds of things.

I can shred right along with our lead guitar player in my band, but he can't even hardly hold drum sicks....hahahaha.

1) It's not just playing with a video. The system changes difficulty depending on how well you're getting either the songs or the lessons because it's actively paying attention to what you're playing. Talking about learning theory right away is like telling a pianist they should start with Chopin. That comes later, and even then, Rocksmith will introduce some of it. It's not just 50 songs.

2) I'm enjoying Rocksmith quite a bit because while I've played guitar for awhile now, I've never really gotten anywhere with it. Rocksmith has really provided me with a new boost, while frustrating me because its shown me I've been bad at things I thought I'd gotten decent at doing. Highly recommended, but requires a lot of patience. Definitely not a video game; it is educational material. However, getting a chance to learn Knights of Cydonia (my favorite Muse song), is totally worth the payoff.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I can't speak to learning how to play guitar from scratch with Rocksmith works out, but I absolutely love it for keeping limber and playing around with songs I'm not familiar with. I made the switch to bass a couple of years back, so I've been just playing the low end with it.

My baby: (Has black beauts strung on it, now.)

TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• TravTex wrote:I can't speak to learning how to play guitar from scratch with Rocksmith works out, but I absolutely love it for keeping limber and playing around with songs I'm not familiar with. I made the switch to bass a couple of years back, so I've been just playing the low end with it.

My baby: (Has black beauts strung on it, now.)

I've always been interested in Bass but have never even picked one up. How different is it compared to guitar?
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• I posted these pics for Roland in PM's, but here's what I got. Not as sexy as Roland's axe, but a good, solid guitar for a beginner. And coupled with this amp I bought, it sounds frickin' NASTY! :twisted:

I got this guitar, with this Amp, plus a variety pack of picks, extra set of Super Slinky strings, Strap, 20ft Cord, and the upright stand for $302 dollars. This included a 10% discount for signing up, for free, to their website @
    http://www.bigfootmusic.com/sweet_deal

And this is all great sounding stuff! You can't go wrong with this deal. And I'm sure that if you decided it wasn't for you, you could sell all the stuff for back for more that 200 bucks, at least. Probably much more to someone that had no idea what you initially paid for it. And if you deduct the 120 bucks for the amp if you only wanted to play through the game, then you're talking less that 200 bucks! Just an FYI, 'cause I was blown away at how cheap I could get into this stuff these days. I had no idea.

Squire "Bullet" Strat...

Peavy Vypyr VIP 1. Do a little research. This is a damn fine practice amp!

Last edited by BlueThunder on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I just spent the last couple hours going through some of the beginner tutorials over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Lol. At some point it just "clicks", and your muscle memory learns something new. Rocksmith 2014 is friggin' awesome thus far. I didn't know anything about anything, but I'm learning. I love how you can slow down the whole thing, or particular parts you specify, by 10% increments. This thing is a tool more than it is a game, I think.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Yeah! Love to hear the feedback Ro! Are your fingertips barkin' yet? :lol:

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 pm
  • Here's my practice setup, I have many other guitars, a few basses, and a tube amp head half stack, but they're all at my drummers house. It's a 2008 Epiphone SG G400 with EMG pickups. The amp is a Marshall MG15CFR practice amp. Headphones are Sennheiser 280hd pro.
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (215.31 KiB) Viewed 830 times
    Last edited by KK84 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:17 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    I've always been interested in Bass but have never even picked one up. How different is it compared to guitar?

Hrm, I didn't take much of a transition time, but I'd always been primarily a rhythm guitarist -- So in that regard, I can say it's pretty similar to rhythm guitar. Definitely different than lead guitar in role/mentality. Physical differences are obvious but it seemed to be a pretty quick transition period. I actually learned a surprising amount of music theory in a short time making the change to bass, thinking more in patterns and relationships between notes than chords or particular progressions.

(Yeah, I was one of THOSE guys. Probably fifteen years of playing in local up to regional performing bands before I even bothered trying to learn some actual music theory. I still have to ear something first, then work backward to figure out the 'real' music part.)
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 am
  • KK84 wrote:Here's my practice setup, I have many other guitars, a few basses, and a tube amp head full stack, but they're all at my drummers house.

Oooookay... and they're where? You did have pics right? :D

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:43 am
  • On the subject of being a gear nerd:

I loooooove my GK bass combo amp.

Reason 1: It's super light.
    Reason 2: It's super light.
    Reason 3: No, seriously, hardly weighs a thing.

(I'm not much a gear snob when it comes to bass tone, so 'light' is everything.)
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• BlueThunder wrote:
    KK84 wrote:Here's my practice setup, I have many other guitars, a few basses, and a tube amp head full stack, but they're all at my drummers house.

Oooookay... and they're where? You did have pics right? :D

Oops my bad. The pic I had wasn't working. I'll get it up there soon.

Edit: Pic is up.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• For those of you thinking about going bass, consider the Epiphone Thunderbird Gothic. Very solid bass, and an awesome 300$ price tag.
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (200.46 KiB) Viewed 826 times
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• I'd like to learn to play bass. I'm finding the Epiphone brand makes some well made instruments.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• Gotta recommend a similar modal to my Ibby Soundgear for people making the transition from guitar and/or people with smallish hands. The neck on my SG is actually thinner than my acoustic guitar. Alternately, a short scale might be worth looking into (Though they can get a bit floppy if you start getting into drop-D alternate tunings).

I haven't tried any other than my particular model, which is just a variant of the SR500, but I think the only difference in the cheaper models is materials and electronics -- The thin neck advantage can still be had for a few hundred dollars with the SR300's.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• TravTex wrote:Gotta recommend a similar modal to my Ibby Soundgear for people making the transition from guitar and/or people with smallish hands.

I'm also thinking about getting a bass. What would you recommend for someone with large hands/fat fingers?

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:
    TravTex wrote:Gotta recommend a similar modal to my Ibby Soundgear for people making the transition from guitar and/or people with smallish hands.

I'm also thinking about getting a bass. What would you recommend for someone with large hands/fat fingers?

I was waffling back and forth between Schecter and Soundgear for a while, and went with the Soundgear because it was quite a bit more slender... so of those two, Schecters might be worth a look? Good price point/build for an entry level bass that isn't the bottom of the line toy junk. Seemed a bit heavy to me, but really the Ibanez is just -so- dainty for a bass my perspective is a bit skewed.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information