ROCKSMITH on XBOX for Christmas...WTF?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
ROCKSMITH on XBOX for Christmas...WTF?
Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:42 pm
  • Man, playing guitar is harder than I remember!

Ok, here's the story. A box came in the mail a week before Christmas addressed to my wife, and I said "Is this some present for me that I shouldn't open?". She goes "yes, well, kinda. It's kinda more me and you, maybe". Ok, good enough. So, we get home from our whole Christmas thing at my step-daughters place, and then I remembered that box. I said "Hey, where's that You 'n Me thing you were talking about? She said "Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. It's in your stocking". So I pulled it out and unwrapped it, and it was an XBOX 360 game/instructional called "RockSmith". "Learn to play guitar in 60 days". ??? I looked at her and said "You, uh, wanna buy a guitar? YOU want to learn to play?". She said "yeah, kinda". Funny how your wife holds these things in and never lets you know about it... Why? I'd have bought her a guitar years ago!

Ok, so anyhoo, WAY back in my teens (35 YEARS ago), I spent 6-7 years playing guitar, trying to get good enough to play in a band. Never achieved it. I was never even good enough to play rhythm in a crappy band. I gave it up, then my apartment caught fire sending me to the Harborview burn unit for 3 weeks, but it also destoyed all 3 of my guitars. Right there at age 24, I never picked up another guitar.

Fast forward to right now. Even though I gave up guitar, I'm one of those guys that knows a lot about them for some reason. Seems a lot of my closest friends are very accomplished players. A couple of them extremely accomplished. Anyhoo, I wasn't willing to spend a ton of money on something that I wasn't sure we were gonna stick with, so I went out and bought a brand-new banana Squire Strat (had to be a strat) and a really cool practice amp, a Peavy VYPYR VIP-1. The guy at bigfoot music said that every employee owned one. It emulates several different amps, plus it has every pedal function built in! He could have tried to sell me many more expensive amps, but this one only costs 120.00 and it sounds great! And anything past 5 on the volume is almost too loud. (side-note, the volume knob goes to 13...lol!). Then I bought all the picks, cords, extra set of Super Slinky's, straps etc. Wish I'd have had cash back in my teen days!

Ok, so the amp wasn't necessary to use the XBOX software... But, ya know... :D But me and the wife spent 6 hours playing that game until our fingers hurt so much we had to stop. Need to work on those callouses! It was a kick-ass time, and I witnessed the software actually working with my wife. She went from not knowing sh*t, to actually playing along with the rudimentary intro songs built into the game (it gets much harder as you go). It was pretty amazing to watch. Of course I was giving plenty of positive reinforcement. Towards the end of our little session, I was thinking to myself "There is no frickin' WAY she's gonna pass me!". lol I did start to remember a little of what I used to know, but playing an instrument is NOT like riding a bike. When I picked up that guitar, I remembered NOTHING of what I used to know... And I'm talking NOTHING! It was almost like I'd never held one before. I was a little bummed over that. Anyhoo, thought I'd share. If you're thinking about learning guitar, this is a really fun and educational way to start. Rock on DUUUUDES! :lol:
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Bigfoot music in smokey point? That's where I got all my gear as a teenager. Once my band started playing shows I was buying a set of power slinkies there every other week it seemed. Got kinda expensive for a kid working at the Subway. Anyway, I'm kinda surprised Bigfoot still exists, seeing as how Guitar Center has been putting all the smaller shops out of business. Good to hear! Good luck with the playing!
    Last edited by KK84 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• My brother's fiancee bought him the game for Christmas also. She also bought him a guitar and amp, but I'm not sure what kind.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• KK84 wrote:Bigfoot music in smokey point? That's where I got all my gear as a teenager. Once my band started playing shows I was buying a set of power slinkies there every other week it seemed. Got kinda expensive for a kid working at the Subway. Anyway, I'm kinda surprised Bigfoot still exists, seeing as how Guitar Center has been putting all the smaller shops out of business. Good to hear! Good luck with the playing!

Yup, right there at Smokey Point! Good guys there. The guy that helped me was named Ian. Good guy!

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Yeah, Rocksmith is how I plan to start learning shortly. Nice story. Tell your wife not to hold back on her interests with you. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: ROCKSMITH on XBOX for Christmas...WTF?
Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:16 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:
    KK84 wrote:Bigfoot music in smokey point? That's where I got all my gear as a teenager. Once my band started playing shows I was buying a set of power slinkies there every other week it seemed. Got kinda expensive for a kid working at the Subway. Anyway, I'm kinda surprised Bigfoot still exists, seeing as how Guitar Center has been putting all the smaller shops out of business. Good to hear! Good luck with the playing!

Yup, right there at Smokey Point! Good guys there. The guy that helped me was named Ian. Good guy!

I live right around the corner from there. Love that place.
    danbogart
    NET Practice Squad

• I got this for PS3. Awesome game with new songs available for downloads monthly.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Yeah, Rocksmith is how I plan to start learning shortly. Nice story. Tell your wife not to hold back on her interests with you. :)

Yeah, who KNOWS what I'm missing out on huh? :twisted: :lol:

Post in this thread when you get the software and gear. Interested to get your take on it.

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• NJSeaHawk wrote:I got this for PS3. Awesome game with new songs available for downloads monthly.

Have you used it much? How you like it so far?

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:Post in this thread when you get the software and gear. Interested to get your take on it.

Will do. I already have the software; but the guitar should be this weekend. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I heard they were thinking of coming out with a version for the drums. I'd definitely buy that, as I've always wanted to learn to play them.

And release it for the PC, as I don't own a console.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I love it. Haven't played it too much because i'm more of a Fifa and street fighter 4 type of guy.

I bought it new at target for like 70 bucks or so, this was back in summer of 2012. I'm sure it's cheaper now.Once you open box, you'll get the game and the guitar cable. The cable is a usb connection, one goes directly into PS3 and other into amp connection on guitar. If you buy game used or new, it must have cable in order for you to play.

(I bought a used guitar at a thrift shop to play with game. You can use either an acoustic or electrical guitar, and it can connect to a separate amp or directly to tv, like I have it. )

The game walks you through tuning guitar, and then you can start learning "Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones. As you get better, the more notes you will have to play, and it can get crazy challenging. But honestly after three of four tries, you will get it. At that point it's up to you. You can definitely learn from the game. It has mini games that teaches you riffs, and other techniques. I plan on playing it more, and then supplementing it from lessons on youtube.com.

Is it the same as one on one lessons? Nope, but the game never claims to be. Like I said, it's all on you. I would recommend it. This is for PS3, but I am pretty sure XBOX follows the same format.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• I personally think it's better than one on one instruction. With one on one, there's still a bit of embarrassment that is simply human nature. With this, you can sound as shitty as you want until you get it. I took lessons for awhile back in the day, and I didn't like the pressure I felt to learn new stuff before the next lesson. With this software, you truly go at your own speed.

And my XBOX cable only has one connection to go directly into the XBOX. I wish I had the other one to go into the amp! That would be awesome.

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Blue, you can buy another cable for (I think) $20 from them. Get a 1/4" splitter from Radio Shack, and you should be able to run to both.

So, I couldn't hold off any longer. I picked up my new guitar tonight. It's one I held a few weeks ago, and fell in love with the feel over; I can't explain it, but after playing with 60+ other guitars at several different stores between then and now, I picked this one up again tonight, and bottom line, it just feels like the one for me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Carl ... 3359390.gc

That model, but with a more vintage (lighter edges) finish.

I have Rocksmith 2014 for the PC installed, time to start playing around in a few. :) Also, if any of you guys have the regular Rocksmith, I highly recommend buying Rocksmith 2014. I read up on the changes, and there are some key things that were massively improved. You can also pay a one-time fee of $10 to import all the songs from Rocksmith 1 into Rocksmith 2014, though that may be PC-only; you'd have to check.

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Dammit! You guys are getting me so excited to buy this software! I tried for years to learn the guitar. And while in know my basic chords and barre chords I could never really get past playing the rythm/strumming of a song. First song I learned? Sunshine of your love by Cream. First sheet music I bought? Let her cry by hootie and the blowfish. Lol.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Blue, you can buy another cable for (I think) $20 from them. Get a 1/4" splitter from Radio Shack, and you should be able to run to both.

So, I couldn't hold off any longer. I picked up my new guitar tonight. It's one I held a few weeks ago, and fell in love with the feel over; I can't explain it, but after playing with 60+ other guitars at several different stores between then and now, I picked this one up again tonight, and bottom line, it just feels like the one for me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Carl ... 3359390.gc

That model, but with a more vintage (lighter edges) finish.

I have Rocksmith 2014 for the PC installed, time to start playing around in a few. :) Also, if any of you guys have the regular Rocksmith, I highly recommend buying Rocksmith 2014. I read up on the changes, and there are some key things that were massively improved. You can also pay a one-time fee of $10 to import all the songs from Rocksmith 1 into Rocksmith 2014, though that may be PC-only; you'd have to check.

Hell yeah! Love the PRS guitar models. Especially the headstock. How do you like it? Sound? Tone?
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• That's a gorgeous guitar, Ro. Congrats on the purchase. I love the designs in between the frets.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• I would suggest learning theory, as opposed to just playing along with a video, but that is just me. When I learned I had decided I wanted to understand how music is composed/written, and after I used about 15 different books, I wrote my own with charts for all kinds of things.

I can shred right along with our lead guitar player in my band, but he can't even hardly hold drum sicks....hahahaha.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:I would suggest learning theory, as opposed to just playing along with a video, but that is just me. When I learned I had decided I wanted to understand how music is composed/written, and after I used about 15 different books, I wrote my own with charts for all kinds of things.

I can shred right along with our lead guitar player in my band, but he can't even hardly hold drum sicks....hahahaha.

I think it's absolutely important to have a basic understanding of music theory if a person is going to get involved with learning an instrument even if as a hobby or past time.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I would suggest learning theory, as opposed to just playing along with a video, but that is just me. When I learned I had decided I wanted to understand how music is composed/written, and after I used about 15 different books, I wrote my own with charts for all kinds of things.

I think it's absolutely important to have a basic understanding of music theory if a person is going to get involved with learning an instrument even if as a hobby or past time.

I would view Rocksmith as more of a fun way to practice than actually learning all of the intricacies of playing guitar. Everyone, at some point has to get their fingers to do what they want them to do accurately. This method is a hell of a lot more fun than sitting and running scale after scale and chord progression after chord progression. YMMV
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:46 am
  • Anguish wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I would suggest learning theory, as opposed to just playing along with a video, but that is just me. When I learned I had decided I wanted to understand how music is composed/written, and after I used about 15 different books, I wrote my own with charts for all kinds of things.

I would view Rocksmith as more of a fun way to practice than actually learning all of the intricacies of playing guitar. Everyone, at some point has to get their fingers to do what they want them to do accurately. This method is a hell of a lot more fun than sitting and running scale after scale and chord progression after chord progression. YMMV

I agree. And for most, its a true introductory to guitar. If somebody wants to pursue it further they can delve into music theory but it's not a necessity to wanting to learn to play and have fun.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I would suggest learning theory, as opposed to just playing along with a video, but that is just me. When I learned I had decided I wanted to understand how music is composed/written, and after I used about 15 different books, I wrote my own with charts for all kinds of things.

1) It's not just playing with a video. The system changes difficulty depending on how well you're getting either the songs or the lessons because it's actively paying attention to what you're playing. Talking about learning theory right away is like telling a pianist they should start with Chopin. That comes later, and even then, Rocksmith will introduce some of it. It's not just 50 songs.

2) I'm enjoying Rocksmith quite a bit because while I've played guitar for awhile now, I've never really gotten anywhere with it. Rocksmith has really provided me with a new boost, while frustrating me because its shown me I've been bad at things I thought I'd gotten decent at doing. Highly recommended, but requires a lot of patience. Definitely not a video game; it is educational material. However, getting a chance to learn Knights of Cydonia (my favorite Muse song), is totally worth the payoff.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I can't speak to learning how to play guitar from scratch with Rocksmith works out, but I absolutely love it for keeping limber and playing around with songs I'm not familiar with. I made the switch to bass a couple of years back, so I've been just playing the low end with it.

My baby: (Has black beauts strung on it, now.)

TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• TravTex wrote:I can't speak to learning how to play guitar from scratch with Rocksmith works out, but I absolutely love it for keeping limber and playing around with songs I'm not familiar with. I made the switch to bass a couple of years back, so I've been just playing the low end with it.

My baby: (Has black beauts strung on it, now.)

I've always been interested in Bass but have never even picked one up. How different is it compared to guitar?
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• I posted these pics for Roland in PM's, but here's what I got. Not as sexy as Roland's axe, but a good, solid guitar for a beginner. And coupled with this amp I bought, it sounds frickin' NASTY! :twisted:

I got this guitar, with this Amp, plus a variety pack of picks, extra set of Super Slinky strings, Strap, 20ft Cord, and the upright stand for $302 dollars. This included a 10% discount for signing up, for free, to their website @
    http://www.bigfootmusic.com/sweet_deal

And this is all great sounding stuff! You can't go wrong with this deal. And I'm sure that if you decided it wasn't for you, you could sell all the stuff for back for more that 200 bucks, at least. Probably much more to someone that had no idea what you initially paid for it. And if you deduct the 120 bucks for the amp if you only wanted to play through the game, then you're talking less that 200 bucks! Just an FYI, 'cause I was blown away at how cheap I could get into this stuff these days. I had no idea.

Squire "Bullet" Strat...

Peavy Vypyr VIP 1. Do a little research. This is a damn fine practice amp!

Last edited by BlueThunder on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I just spent the last couple hours going through some of the beginner tutorials over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Lol. At some point it just "clicks", and your muscle memory learns something new. Rocksmith 2014 is friggin' awesome thus far. I didn't know anything about anything, but I'm learning. I love how you can slow down the whole thing, or particular parts you specify, by 10% increments. This thing is a tool more than it is a game, I think.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Yeah! Love to hear the feedback Ro! Are your fingertips barkin' yet? :lol:

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 pm
  • Here's my practice setup, I have many other guitars, a few basses, and a tube amp head half stack, but they're all at my drummers house. It's a 2008 Epiphone SG G400 with EMG pickups. The amp is a Marshall MG15CFR practice amp. Headphones are Sennheiser 280hd pro.
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (215.31 KiB) Viewed 883 times
    Last edited by KK84 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:17 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    I've always been interested in Bass but have never even picked one up. How different is it compared to guitar?

Hrm, I didn't take much of a transition time, but I'd always been primarily a rhythm guitarist -- So in that regard, I can say it's pretty similar to rhythm guitar. Definitely different than lead guitar in role/mentality. Physical differences are obvious but it seemed to be a pretty quick transition period. I actually learned a surprising amount of music theory in a short time making the change to bass, thinking more in patterns and relationships between notes than chords or particular progressions.

(Yeah, I was one of THOSE guys. Probably fifteen years of playing in local up to regional performing bands before I even bothered trying to learn some actual music theory. I still have to ear something first, then work backward to figure out the 'real' music part.)
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 am
  • KK84 wrote:Here's my practice setup, I have many other guitars, a few basses, and a tube amp head full stack, but they're all at my drummers house.

Oooookay... and they're where? You did have pics right? :D

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:43 am
  • On the subject of being a gear nerd:

I loooooove my GK bass combo amp.

Reason 1: It's super light.
    Reason 2: It's super light.
    Reason 3: No, seriously, hardly weighs a thing.

(I'm not much a gear snob when it comes to bass tone, so 'light' is everything.)
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• BlueThunder wrote:
    KK84 wrote:Here's my practice setup, I have many other guitars, a few basses, and a tube amp head full stack, but they're all at my drummers house.

Oooookay... and they're where? You did have pics right? :D

Oops my bad. The pic I had wasn't working. I'll get it up there soon.

Edit: Pic is up.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• For those of you thinking about going bass, consider the Epiphone Thunderbird Gothic. Very solid bass, and an awesome 300$ price tag.
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (200.46 KiB) Viewed 879 times
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• I'd like to learn to play bass. I'm finding the Epiphone brand makes some well made instruments.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• Gotta recommend a similar modal to my Ibby Soundgear for people making the transition from guitar and/or people with smallish hands. The neck on my SG is actually thinner than my acoustic guitar. Alternately, a short scale might be worth looking into (Though they can get a bit floppy if you start getting into drop-D alternate tunings).

I haven't tried any other than my particular model, which is just a variant of the SR500, but I think the only difference in the cheaper models is materials and electronics -- The thin neck advantage can still be had for a few hundred dollars with the SR300's.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• TravTex wrote:Gotta recommend a similar modal to my Ibby Soundgear for people making the transition from guitar and/or people with smallish hands.

I'm also thinking about getting a bass. What would you recommend for someone with large hands/fat fingers?

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:
    TravTex wrote:Gotta recommend a similar modal to my Ibby Soundgear for people making the transition from guitar and/or people with smallish hands.

I'm also thinking about getting a bass. What would you recommend for someone with large hands/fat fingers?

I was waffling back and forth between Schecter and Soundgear for a while, and went with the Soundgear because it was quite a bit more slender... so of those two, Schecters might be worth a look? Good price point/build for an entry level bass that isn't the bottom of the line toy junk. Seemed a bit heavy to me, but really the Ibanez is just -so- dainty for a bass my perspective is a bit skewed.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information