I hate flying

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
I hate flying
Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:29 pm
  • But going to the Seahawks game made it worth it. However, on the way home, when we were getting ready to take off, our flight had an RTO. RTO stands for Rejected Take Off. I usually have to have several drinks in me to even get on a flight. It just seems unnatural to be flying through the air in something that weighs that much. Anyhow, we were getting up to speed to take off and just as it felt the wheels coming of the ground the pilot slammed on the brakes. I have no idea how fast we were going but to say it was unsettling would be an understatement. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am I just lucky that way?
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    User avatar
    storm74
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 565
    Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm
    Location: davenport


Re: I hate flying
Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:33 pm
  • Never been on a flight that had an RTO but the worst experience I ever had was flying out of Palm Springs in a 737. The winds were wippin' really good out on the tarmac. The airport is nestled at the foot of a mountain and they can create hairy crosswinds for takeoffs and landings. When the wheels finally left the ground it felt like we were about to be flipped on our side. The turbulence was horrific...I thought for sure I was going to meet my maker. Last time I fly out of Palm Springs.
    Image

    Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8194
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: I hate flying
Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:38 pm
  • Well Aros, that sound absolutely terrible. I have pretty much decided I will never get on a flight again. I know statistically they are safer than driving but I can't get over that feeling that I was going to die at the end of the runway. When they accelerated up to take off speed you could hear one of the engines on the right side surging. I know the front wheel was up when the pilot slammed on the brakes. We went back to the tarmac and switched planes but my brother had to do some arm twisting to get me back on a plane. I was going to rent a car and drive home.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    User avatar
    storm74
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 565
    Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm
    Location: davenport


Re: I hate flying
Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 pm
  • I was flying into Washington DC years ago and we had an aborted landing.....we were about 100 ft off the ground and suddenly the pilot slammed the throttle full on and veered hard right. I was sitting on the left side window seat and looked out...there was another big jet coming right for us on takeoff. Scared the crap outta me and the lady siting next to me was screaming and squeezing my arm so hard I had bruise marks the next day. Crazy.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9010
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: I hate flying
Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:40 pm
  • I love flying. It's such a time-efficient way to travel.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26427
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: I hate flying
Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm
  • Aros wrote:Never been on a flight that had an RTO but the worst experience I ever had was flying out of Palm Springs in a 737. The winds were whippin' really good out on the tarmac. The airport is nestled at the foot of a mountain and they can create hairy crosswinds for takeoffs and landings. When the wheels finally left the ground it felt like we were about to be flipped on our side. The turbulence was horrific...I thought for sure I was going to meet my maker. Last time I fly out of Palm Springs.

    Had the same thing happen trying to land in Ontario (Calif.). Crosswinds (which are rare there....usually west to east or east to west if the Santa Anas are in effect) were so freakin' bad the guy/gal made three passes at the runway while the plane rocked back and forth terribly before finally giving up and landing us at LAX. They then bussed us back to Ontario. Added like 2.5 hours to the evening. :(


    Despite that and a couple of other less than pleasant experiences, I'm not afraid to fly really. But what I despise is that flying has become a gigantic hassle what with taking your shoes off and x-ray machines and all that bullshit.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image

    Proud member of the 38 club
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11871
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: I hate flying
Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:51 pm
  • Aros wrote:Never been on a flight that had an RTO but the worst experience I ever had was flying out of Palm Springs in a 737. The winds were wippin' really good out on the tarmac. The airport is nestled at the foot of a mountain and they can create hairy crosswinds for takeoffs and landings. When the wheels finally left the ground it felt like we were about to be flipped on our side. The turbulence was horrific...I thought for sure I was going to meet my maker. Last time I fly out of Palm Springs.



    I fly in and out of PS a lot, and the in is usually worse than the out. Dropping into the valley on a 110 degree day can be a crazy ride. You get used to it.
    Green13
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:05 pm


Re: I hate flying
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Never been on a flight that had an RTO but the worst experience I ever had was flying out of Palm Springs in a 737. The winds were whippin' really good out on the tarmac. The airport is nestled at the foot of a mountain and they can create hairy crosswinds for takeoffs and landings. When the wheels finally left the ground it felt like we were about to be flipped on our side. The turbulence was horrific...I thought for sure I was going to meet my maker. Last time I fly out of Palm Springs.

    Had the same thing happen trying to land in Ontario (Calif.). Crosswinds (which are rare there....usually west to east or east to west if the Santa Anas are in effect) were so freakin' bad the guy/gal made three passes at the runway while the plane rocked back and forth terribly before finally giving up and landing us at LAX. They then bussed us back to Ontario. Added like 2.5 hours to the evening. :(


    Despite that and a couple of other less than pleasant experiences, I'm not afraid to fly really. But what I despise is that flying has become a gigantic hassle what with taking your shoes off and x-ray machines and all that bullshit.


    Same here 'Sinceday1. It's not unusual for me to fly 200x per year (seriously). I hate it every damn time. Takes me 2 hrs to fly 30 minutes. Before 9-11 wasn't so bad but now? Just a hassle and I'm jaded.

    Flying to Thailand last year, I couldn't get on JAL, so flew Philippines Airlines from Oahu with a stop over in Manila. The plane was surprisingly comfortable, able to lie down flat, and the service, though a bunch of typically nosey Filipinas, was also very good.

    I wake up after like 4 hrs and tell the hostesses how great everything is and that I can never sleep on a plane. As they are asking me a million questions, like they do, I hear the pilot say something in a very thick Tagalog accent...and I thought he said something about "diverting" or "deeeevertine". I ask the stewardess' what he said and they went to check. He comes back on "Uhhh, dis is you captain speaking, 1st time before we lose number 1 motor now we lose number 3 motor and now we going to Guam". Huh?

    The squirrely stewardess' come back to my seat and repeat the same, fake grins from ear to ear. I ask how far we are out and they say "1 hr to Guam". I ask how far to Manila and they say "90 minutes". I tell them to go tell the captain we are not going to Guam...let's shoot for Manila. The other passengers were already saying Hail Marys and looking at me like "are you nuts"??

    I open my shade and look out the window. I see that we are now flying VERY low. White caps all over the ocean and I'm like...does this dude think he's going to make a Hudson river landing out here? I go up to the cabin and talk to the co-captain. Every eye in our section on this crazy white man, LOL.

    I encourage him to show some balls. I have meetings in Bangkok that I can't miss. The dude insists we are in fact going to frikin' Guam. Pu**y. On my way back to my seat I'm encouraging the other passengers to join me in revolt. It's just another 30 minutes and I have a good feeling about our chances.

    They are now whimpering and tears are flowing along with their prayers. I ask them if God would let them die today? Most won't acknowledge me but a few exclaim "It is up to God"!! And I'm like...well there you go then, why are you letting these clowns up front interfere with God's plan for us today? Nobody had an answer for that...they just kept crying and praying.

    Never was I scared. There's really not much to fear in such a situation. But I was totally pissed. Later, I wasn't surprised when only my bags went missing, LOL. I guess their prayers were answered. ; )

    Now I have to make the same hateful 20 hr trip right after the SB. But it won't be on Philippine airlines. Uh-uh. I'm going back to the Buddhists.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5707
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: I hate flying
Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 am
  • We're just monkeys a few days out of the forest. We aren't supposed to be doing any of this. We strap ourselves to flying gas cans and then have controlled collisions with the ground at ludicrous speeds. It isn't natural.
    Dreadbelch
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 253
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 pm


Re: I hate flying
Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 am
  • HawkWow wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Never been on a flight that had an RTO but the worst experience I ever had was flying out of Palm Springs in a 737. The winds were whippin' really good out on the tarmac. The airport is nestled at the foot of a mountain and they can create hairy crosswinds for takeoffs and landings. When the wheels finally left the ground it felt like we were about to be flipped on our side. The turbulence was horrific...I thought for sure I was going to meet my maker. Last time I fly out of Palm Springs.

    Had the same thing happen trying to land in Ontario (Calif.). Crosswinds (which are rare there....usually west to east or east to west if the Santa Anas are in effect) were so freakin' bad the guy/gal made three passes at the runway while the plane rocked back and forth terribly before finally giving up and landing us at LAX. They then bussed us back to Ontario. Added like 2.5 hours to the evening. :(


    Despite that and a couple of other less than pleasant experiences, I'm not afraid to fly really. But what I despise is that flying has become a gigantic hassle what with taking your shoes off and x-ray machines and all that bullshit.


    Same here 'Sinceday1. It's not unusual for me to fly 200x per year (seriously). I hate it every damn time. Takes me 2 hrs to fly 30 minutes. Before 9-11 wasn't so bad but now? Just a hassle and I'm jaded.

    Flying to Thailand last year, I couldn't get on JAL, so flew Philippines Airlines from Oahu with a stop over in Manila. The plane was surprisingly comfortable, able to lie down flat, and the service, though a bunch of typically nosey Filipinas, was also very good.

    I wake up after like 4 hrs and tell the hostesses how great everything is and that I can never sleep on a plane. As they are asking me a million questions, like they do, I hear the pilot say something in a very thick Tagalog accent...and I thought he said something about "diverting" or "deeeevertine". I ask the stewardess' what he said and they went to check. He comes back on "Uhhh, dis is you captain speaking, 1st time before we lose number 1 motor now we lose number 3 motor and now we going to Guam". Huh?

    The squirrely stewardess' come back to my seat and repeat the same, fake grins from ear to ear. I ask how far we are out and they say "1 hr to Guam". I ask how far to Manila and they say "90 minutes". I tell them to go tell the captain we are not going to Guam...let's shoot for Manila. The other passengers were already saying Hail Marys and looking at me like "are you nuts"??

    I open my shade and look out the window. I see that we are now flying VERY low. White caps all over the ocean and I'm like...does this dude think he's going to make a Hudson river landing out here? I go up to the cabin and talk to the co-captain. Every eye in our section on this crazy white man, LOL.

    I encourage him to show some balls. I have meetings in Bangkok that I can't miss. The dude insists we are in fact going to frikin' Guam. Pu**y. On my way back to my seat I'm encouraging the other passengers to join me in revolt. It's just another 30 minutes and I have a good feeling about our chances.

    They are now whimpering and tears are flowing along with their prayers. I ask them if God would let them die today? Most won't acknowledge me but a few exclaim "It is up to God"!! And I'm like...well there you go then, why are you letting these clowns up front interfere with God's plan for us today? Nobody had an answer for that...they just kept crying and praying.

    Never was I scared. There's really not much to fear in such a situation. But I was totally pissed. Later, I wasn't surprised when only my bags went missing, LOL. I guess their prayers were answered. ; )

    Now I have to make the same hateful 20 hr trip right after the SB. But it won't be on Philippine airlines. Uh-uh. I'm going back to the Buddhists.


    :roll: if you fly that much you would realize that acting like that is a total dick move. Total disregard for human life?
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1079
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


Re: I hate flying
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:31 pm
  • storm74 wrote:But going to the Seahawks game made it worth it. However, on the way home, when we were getting ready to take off, our flight had an RTO. RTO stands for Rejected Take Off. I usually have to have several drinks in me to even get on a flight. It just seems unnatural to be flying through the air in something that weighs that much. Anyhow, we were getting up to speed to take off and just as it felt the wheels coming of the ground the pilot slammed on the brakes. I have no idea how fast we were going but to say it was unsettling would be an understatement. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am I just lucky that way?


    Well you weren't past V1.

    My least favorite flight was last year (2013) coming out of Phoenix.

    I was coming back from Florida and for some reason switched airlines to Southwest for the final leg. This had already been an interesting trip as we were literally flying over Oklahoma when those big tornadoes hit OKC last year. Out the window I could see huge clouds and lightning all around me, the plane was being thrown about like nuts and you knew it was a tight window because I saw planes that were most certainly not 1,000ft above or below, they were at our flight level maybe a max 1km away.

    Anyways, we finally land in Phoenix and the weather was miserable. I jump to my connecting Southwest flight and sit right next to the wing. I notice as the pilot does all their preflight checks the flaps won't go back up (even though we hear the sound). This goes on for about 10 minutes of rrreeereeereeereee until eventually the lights go out. The stewardess then comes over the intercom and says 'sorry folks, we just have to reset the computer and we'll be off!'

    OH GREAT.

    If this were any other country I'd be off the plane but even the worst airlines in the US are incredibly safe so I trusted them to get me home.

    So of course as soon as we get to lineup for takeoff the lightning starts swarming the airport and the rain begins pouring down and the pilot kind of just slams on the power and we get out of there and for the next 15 minutes were probably the most I've ever been freaked out on a flight. Luckily there was a lady a row behind me who had never flown before who was praying to her god and screaming every 5 seconds to add a bit of humor and enjoyment so it wasn't all bad.

    Turbulence out of Vegas, Palm Desert, Albequerque or anything like that is ridiculous. Not comfortable places to fly into/out of during the afternoon in summer.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8075
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: I hate flying
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:31 pm
  • Dreadbelch wrote:We're just monkeys a few days out of the forest. We aren't supposed to be doing any of this. We strap ourselves to flying gas cans and then have controlled collisions with the ground at ludicrous speeds. It isn't natural.


    As opposed to posting on a message board on the Internet about a professional football team?
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8075
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: I hate flying
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:44 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:I go up to the cabin and talk to the co-captain. Every eye in our section on this crazy white man, LOL.


    Post 9/11 you wouldn't be able to access the captain or the co-captain. And I'm confident that an IATA accredited airline wouldn't have such incompetent and unsure pilots. Even the worst pilots wouldn't give a shit about what a snooty passenger would say.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8075
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm




It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online