George Carlin Prose

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
George Carlin Prose
Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:25 am
  • Just saw this reposted on Facebook and found it to be kind of useful! Thought I'd give a share:

SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin: The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete. Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind. And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. George Carlin
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Re: George Carlin Prose
Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:29 am
  • Cool read.
    It was somewhat pessimestic though and made it seem that people who have more actually have less
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:07 pm
  • Axx wrote:Cool read.
    It was somewhat pessimestic though and made it seem that people who have more actually have less

uhhh...
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:09 pm
  • Yea, Carlin is pessimistic - but it does kind of open the eyes. I was thinking the other day how texting is really creating a problem with ability communicate. Same goes for email... and message boards. :) - There are a lot of foundational values that just aren't the same, and for better or worse it's definitely different than days past. In many ways, I think the people that embrace the "old ways" have a better chance at success in life - because undoubtedly they will be attuned to the newer technology and culture, but are rooted in the traditional stuff.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm
  • He left one out. Remember to use paragraphs and line breaks to make your thoughts more readable. ;)

Carlin was hella funny, in a wicked kind of way that emphasized our faults as a collective.

RIP
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:32 pm
  • I use some of his lines a lot. When they were replacing our furnace the furnace guy asked about our hot water heater,(how old was it?). I told him we didn't have one. When he pointed it out I told him that was our cold water heater. If we had hot water why would we need to heat it? Perhaps he was referring to a hot water cooler?

Got a good laugh from him. But George's name makes way more sense.

I'm not sure if he wrote the above prose. I'm thinking I 've seen parts of that elsewhere attributed to someone else but can't remember so it must not have happened. lol

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information