Does anyone own a Samsung Galaxy Note?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Does anyone own a Samsung Galaxy Note?
Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:11 am
  • If you do I was wondering how you like it. I am contemplating buying one.

Thanks.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Just got the Note 3 last week.

Love it. The screen size is perfect. Coming from an iPhone 4s, I really wanted a bigger screen.

Still getting used to the Android, I've gone back and forth between iPhones and Androids, so its not totally foreign, but it is taking some getting used to. Just a lot to absorb!

But overall yea, it's cool. I'd recommend.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Re: Does anyone own a Samsung Galaxy Note?
Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:04 am
  • Cool, thanks. My sister has one and likes it. Especially the talk to text feature. The screen appears in HD as well.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:18 am
  • Note 3. Love it. Had a Note 2. Loved it too. I strongly encourage upgrading to a big ass phone. And yes, it can still fit in your pocket.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Note 3. Love it. Had a Note 2. Loved it too. I strongly encourage upgrading to a big ass phone. And yes, it can still fit in your pocket.

That was my thing... can I slide it into my front pocket? Actually dorked out at the store and did a practice move.

Yes, it slides in the front pocket easily.

Now some of you hipsters in your skinny girl jeans, I don't know, maybe it won't.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• The important thing is the battery in these smart phones. My HTC is crap. I can't wait to skim it across a lake.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• twisted_steel2 wrote:Now some of you hipsters in your skinny girl jeans, I don't know, maybe it won't.

Not a problem because all of those people have iphones. ;)

Huge battery, great battery life. And the Note 3 it has the super speed usb charger, charges relatively quickly, or at least it seems so to me.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Haven't had an issue with battery, use all day, still plenty of juice at end of day.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I just have a droid 2. I happen to have a cover for it and like it. For the most part I can go a few days without charging it. A friend charges his every day. Course his is a razr.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I agree. It's awsome. Note 3 is what im using right now. Lol

I used to use a 4400mah battery in my s3 but the battery in this phone is enough for me.

Also like someone else said the charger is awssome. Doesn't take long to charge at all.

Great phone. Best out right now.
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran

• I have a note 2 for work and I don't like how big it is. I can't use it one-handed if I want to reach the whole screen. If I am going to have a device where I need 2 hands, I'm using a tablet.
    LargentFan
    NET Starter

• I can use it with one hand. Depends how big the person's hands are.

Also they have the one hand mode option for the keypad and all of that.
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran

• It definitely can be a bit of a struggle to swype with one hand. That's pretty much the only thing I don't like about it, but it's not really that big of a deal to me.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• how much usage (screen on) are u guys getting on a full charge with the note 3? i loved androids, had a nexus one and galaxy nexus but the battery sucked on both so i got a 5s last week. it was between this and the note 3.

a verizon rep who i got talked about phones with for about an hour was pro android and said the 3 best androids out now are the razr maxx, LG G2 and note 3. i figured i try an iphone for the first time but the note 3 was tempting. so far the only negatives with the iphone is its small and no swype.
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• I hate iphones
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:51 pm
  • bryantology79 wrote:how much usage (screen on) are u guys getting on a full charge with the note 3? i loved androids, had a nexus one and galaxy nexus but the battery sucked on both so i got a 5s last week. it was between this and the note 3.

a verizon rep who i got talked about phones with for about an hour was pro android and said the 3 best androids out now are the razr maxx, LG G2 and note 3. i figured i try an iphone for the first time but the note 3 was tempting. so far the only negatives with the iphone is its small and no swype.

I consider myself a heavy user and my battery easily lasts me all day long and well into the night unless I'm gaming pretty hard, which I do sometimes... then I might have to plug it in for a hour or so to get me through my evening. Regular usage, I'm off the charger about 10 AM and down to 20%-30% by the time I hit the hay at 2 AM or so. Recently I've been bing(e)ing on Tecmo Super Bowl so the mid-day charge is pretty clutch.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• You have to try pretty freaking hard to kill a Note 2 or Note 3 in one day from a full charge when you wake up. As long as you don't spend much of your day in an area with poor coverage where the phone is constantly trying to find a signal or switching between 3G and 4G, you basically cannot kill it in a day with really heavy use. (Also, the poor coverage and 3G/4G switching thing rapes batteries in all phones, iPhones included.)

I love my Note 2. I've been contemplating getting a Note 3 recently. The faux leather back on the Note 3 feels absolutely orgasmic to touch, too.

Can't recommend the Note series enough. You get used to the size.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Yesterday, I was up about 6:45am, phone fully charged. Used it a lot all day, by 11pm it was at 51% battery life.

Not too shabby.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 am
  • thats crazy...no juice defender or anything like that on those note 3's?
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 pm
  • Sidenote:

How did I end up getting my Note 3?

Well I had an iPhone 4s which I was happy with. Was with Verizon, the contract ran out. Wanted to switch to AT&T, (my wife gets a discount with them through her work), was going to bring my phone with me and jump on that plan with her.

Then the hell between AT&T and Verizon started. Phone wouldn't work with AT&T, they were blaming each other... hours and hours of calls, days went by... honestly they wore me out. Finally upgraded.

Now my kid has my old iPhone that he basically uses as an iPod.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• bryantology79 wrote:thats crazy...no juice defender or anything like that on those note 3's?

Hell no, you don't need any tricks to get ridiculous battery life on a Note. They come with huge batteries built in, but they still have a very thin form factor. Obviously the Note 3 is a lot wider and taller than the iPhone 5S, but it's nearly as thin. The iPhone 5S is 7.6mm thick, and the Galaxy Note 3 is 8.3mm thick. Less than a millimeter thicker.

The battery life on the Note 3 smokes the iPhone 5S or any other phone on the market except for the couple of other Note competitors like the Droid Razr MAXX which also comes with a huge battery.

The faux leather back on the Note 3 is a bigger deal than most people realize, too. It feels amazing to the touch compared to all other phones on the market.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• You guys sold me. My contract is up in May and I am just going to buy this phone outright and will be contract free per advice from Mr. Deschain. I found one on Amazon for just under $300.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Are you talking about the Note, Note 2, or Note 3?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Note 3

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• A Note 3 off contract for $300? That seems awfully cheap. Make sure it works. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• This is brand new on amazon

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I have the Note II, and it is fantastic. I love the large screen as it makes the on-screen keyboard actually somewhat useful.

The S-Pen and ability to write notes on top of images is very useful. I'm constantly pulling up medical imagery, jotting some notes or diagrams over the top of an image (i.e. MRI), and emailing to a colleague or patient. I find the note-taking functionality a little less useful because even with the larger screen, it's just too small of an area to write much more than a single sentence.

I've had mine for a little over a year, got it when it was first released. It's been very reliable and the battery life is fantastic. I've been very impressed with Samsung smartphones, they tend to reliable and have many useful features.

I rooted my Note and flashed it with the new 4.3 ROM (same as the Note 3) and it is really nice as well. The Note 3 would be a great buy.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:02 pm
  • I broke down and bought the Note 3 today. Costco was able to do some hacking to let me keep my unlimited data but still use an upgrade and buy the phone at upgrade price. Take that, Verizon! :D

This thing is sick.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:I broke down and bought the Note 3 today. Costco was able to do some hacking to let me keep my unlimited data but still use an upgrade and buy the phone at upgrade price. Take that, Verizon! :D

This thing is sick.

How in the hell did they pull that off? I want to upgrade, but don't want to give up my unlimited.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• taz291819 wrote:How in the hell did they pull that off? I want to upgrade, but don't want to give up my unlimited.

I'm not sure, and the guy wouldn't tell me the specifics. Go to your local Costco and flat-out ask if you can use an upgrade on your Verizon account and still keep unlimited data. The guy told me he expects their ability to do this to end soon, but no hint as to how soon.

Don't delay.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information