Good entry-level electric guitar?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Good entry-level electric guitar?
Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:58 pm
  • I've only put maybe 20 hrs on it thus far but I've not had a single complaint. Living in the tropics (with storms blowing my roof off) I am obviously concerned about the effect of humidity on the electronics, but so far all is good. So good, that if something did go wrong, I'd buy another tomorrow. A buddy of mine has a hard time keeping support and has asked me to play lead at some nightly gig he does (for tourists). That ain't me (and I am not that good). I turned him onto this little box and he hasn't invited me since, lol.

I think there are other models, probably cheaper (JS8?), but this one has the bells and whistles. Unsure how long they've been on the market, so unsure if one can be purchased used. I doubt it, though. Can't imagine anyone parting with it.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:14 pm
  • Fender american standard stratocaster gets my vote. Versatile, easy to play/learn on, will hold it's value if taken care of (no belt buckle scratches etc).

A couple of years ago I bought one off the wall at a music store. I wasn't even shopping for a new axe, I was just hanging out and noodling around. The white american strat I pulled down, it was sweet! great build quality, super sweet neck, electronics weren't everything they could be but the instrument itself was a great value at the price point so I walked out with it. Today I could sell it for what I paid for it no problem.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:44 pm
  • Man that's a beautiful guitar, SH. Congratulations on the purchase/ investment.

The Mrs bought me my first Strat (ever) last Xmas. I was always an LP guy and the Gibson / Fender people are like Chevy vs. Ford people, so I never owned one before. It's from Fender's custom shop in Cali. The best burst finish I've ever seen. It's loaded with the EMG actives (like David Gilmore's rig) and it just screams. I'm sure my neighbors are very excited about it. ; )Like my LPs, I am unworthy of such a fine guitar. As you stated, you can't go wrong with an American Strat (or LP).

Thinking about it, I'm gonna' say that overall, I like it better than the Paul (certainly lighter) and with today's new rigs, you can make it sound like an LP, anyway. No longer is all that excessive weight necessary for that famous LP sustain. I'm gonna' pull it out now.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:11 pm
  • Great post hw. Enjoyed it.

I'm a les paul guy. I have a sparkle top les paul standard that is the apple of my eye. Can you hear the sustain? Haha. It just sounds so amazing, incredible guitar.

But, it's heavy and not super easy to play. I wouldn't recommend it as a student instrument.

I also have a 90's custom shop floyd rose equipped ibanez. Plays butter smooth, super low action, but the floyd rode is a pita to deal with, too much hassle for a student.

Cheap guitars are not good to learn on imo. Typically they have issues with action, intonation, and tuning stability. and those things are going to be discouraging to anyone much less a beginner. Something easy to play and change the strings on that stays in tune is the way to go I reckon. Also as i mentioned quality instruments hold their value if cared for so the dollar cost of using them is ultimately less than a cheap guitar and you get the enjoyment of having a nice thing to boot.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:30 pm
  • Thanks for wording that all so much more eloquently than I was able to do, SH. I fear I gave the impression I was being snobbish about lesser guitars. There may be some truth to that, I suppose, but it wasn't my intent (at all). My dad bought me...I don't know what it was...when I was like 7. It was so hard to play that...well, I don't know what happened to it but I didn't start playing again until my early 20s.. How valuable those missing years would be now.

You sound like you know what you're doing and that LP must be handsome as a mofo. But even still, I'm sure you recall being green and the misery, frustration and self hate (lol) that went with that. I always advise people to get the best they can because when struggling, it don't take much to slide the guitar under the bed. A sh*tty guitar provides that excuse: "If I only had a a better guitar....".

I'm so over the plateaus (and valleys). I've actually digressed over the past few months, I get pissed and try not to even look at my guitars. Sometimes for weeks at a time. That's why I got rid of the '59. I would look at it and just loathe my playing. I seriously wanted it to have a better home. Probably sound like a psycho, but that's me. Any advice you can offer to get thru these difficult times, SH? Don't let my guitar retardation scare you off, Roland!
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:56 pm
  • as I was soaking in the bathtub with a fine beverage reading a book about William the Conquerer, i started thinking about the need for a fine quality guitar and amp with these new modelling systems like this boss js 10 you were just showing us? The guitar almost becomes a midi controller and it seems to eliminate so many quirks in the signal chain like a single coil strat played thru a tube screamer with a fresh 9 volt into a vox ac30 with celestian greenbacks? tone is something some work a lifetime to achieve and now in a sense it can all be dialed in with a punch of buttons on any old guitar.

its almost sad technology has taken such a leap?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:17 pm
  • So true, Mongo. My amps and pedals are..well, somewhere (?). I think in our warehouse. Don't need them at all anymore. May never even see them again. And it really has become that simple and the support the Sweetwater people give just makes it all that much easier. I call the dude up (he has one)...ask him if he knows how to get that Morello sound and he'll call me back with some settings that gets me close. I hope you can find a place to demo one. But bring your wallet. Even as a purist, you will probably have to have it.

And hey bro...I re-read my post that that chapped you a bit. I saw that you put "thoughtfully" in quotes. I really did mean it as thoughtfully...no sarcasm at all. But TBH, yes, I was saying I didn't care for those guitars, but wanted to add that it was very thoughtful of you to research then post actual links. That was very cool of you and while I know we are good, I wanted to explain. So now we're really good, right? Aloha.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:29 pm
  • yeah absolutely! its just frustrating as I run into this in the photography world as well as music in that your gear defines what you are, a 3000$ PRS does not write killer songs just like a 3000$ nikon does not capture an amazing image, its the mind and imagination regardless of what tools you employ. better tools obviously help but its not required.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:39 pm
  • Wow. Your mention of photography made me notice your link / work. Remarkable! I couldn't pick a favorite...though I got a bit lost in the beach scene with (what appeared to be) a river running into the ocean. Beautiful.

It's also a hobby for my wife and she will love your work. If you ever get our way (Hawaii) , let me know and I'll direct you to some beaches less frequented and I presume, less photographed.

BTW if "your gear defines what you are"... I should sell off and buy the Hondo. ; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:59 pm
  • Hw,

When I was young I took it very seriously. Practicing for 5 hours a day and all that. And I got burnt out. I took something enjoyable and made myself miserable doing it.

I think it was maybe a year after I quit playing, I picked up an acoustic guitar at a party and started struming a few chords. I found a corner and started playing some simple songs and quietly sining the words. It felt really good, effortless. I looked up and there was a room full of people watching me. I was dumbfounded. It was at that moment I realized i needed to serve the music, bring the music to life. playing the instrument as a means of gratfiying my ego was what made it suck.

I go through phases of being active, playing in bands and writing and recording music, and sometimes I'll go for months without touching the guitar. That's just how it works for me.

And btw, love the lp standard precisely for how it interacts with a tube amp (lots of sustain with minimal gain). I can do quite a number of things that really aren't feasible using solid state electronics, even the latest and greatest gadgets. One important facet is that vacumm tubes respond to resistance from the speakers, and you can use that in conjunction with the relationship of the pickup to the speaker, the way you attack the strings, and the volume tone and gain controls to do quite a lot of neat stuff. I'm done with the marshall stack though. The little 20 watt units like the orange are great and they aren't a pain in the ass to move around.

These days i mostly play the acoustic out on the back porch. I'll probably get the itch to do the electric thing again one day.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:22 pm
  • "playing the instrument as a means of gratfiying my ego was what made it suck".

Hmm, that sounds familiar. Really hit home. I'm the type that wants to run when I should be walking. I even bought the 59 because it was exactly the same as Dimeola's. Friends think I sound good, the wife more critical (and why I love 'er). She gets frustrated because I will never play a complete song (anymore). She will exclaim "that sounded so good, why did you stop"?. I guess the answer is.. if I can already play it, I am already bored with it (?).

I mentioned earlier, doing radio may have messed up the way I listen to music. I don't feel like I really feel it anymore. It's just there and I don't dedicate myself to it like I do my other pre-occupations. I wish I had your focus and resolve. You also seem to have a good idea of when it's time to take a break and I feel like I am forcing everything. Earlier I said I was going to pull out the Strat..I did, played it for 5 minutes, got bored and it's now just sitting there giving me the evil eye, lol.

You mention that you enjoy singing along with your acoustic. I don't sing but wonder if that would help. A buddy told me he can't do one or the other with the same degree of success. Do you feel it necessary to max your potential on the guitar? Damn....Roland is probably out shopping for a saxophone by now, lol.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:34 pm
  • Singing will help.

Yes when you do both at once you have to accept that your playing may be a little less precise, but the tradeoff is it gets your mind off the mechanics and mental dialog of playing the instrument and gets you locked into the melody and the overall feel of the material. I suspect it might make it fresh and fun for you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:54 pm
  • enjoyin this thread :)
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:08 pm
  • sadhappy wrote:Singing will help.

Yes when you do both at once you have to accept that your playing may be a little less precise, but the tradeoff is it gets your mind off the mechanics and mental dialog of playing the instrument and gets you locked into the melody and the overall feel of the material. I suspect it might make it fresh and fun for you.

I'm gonna' try it...hope it doesn't end in divorce, lol. That ultimateguitar.com site has a ton of songs with lyrics. Maybe tomorrow night in the 4th, bored from watching TJack hand the ball to CM, I'll will get to work. Ha! ; ) Nice chatting with you today. Quite educational.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:11 pm
  • Enjoyed the discussion as well. Fun stuff to talk about. :)
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:34 pm
  • I've definitely gotten some good info from this thread, M0ng0. Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I've got some decisions to make and additional research to do. :) (I'm not in any big rush to make my purchase, for the record.)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:38 am
  • I've played Mexi-strats and telecasters that have played just as nice if not nicer than American made ones, although it is the exception more than the rule. Buying a guitar depends on which style/sound you want and what your budget is, Epiphone, MIM Fenders or even something like a Gretsch Pro Jet would make for good starters guitars without breaking the bank.

On a side note, I learned to play on an acoustic and when I made the transition over to electric it was much easier. Just as much research, if not more, needs to go into buying an amplifier for an electric guitar. I would just peruse all of your options.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:04 am
  • +1 for Ibanez and Epiphone for a lower price range.

Fender makes good guitars but you generally have to pay close to the $1,000+ range to get something good. Their mexican guitars are not very good IMO (come out of tune a lot, etc).
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 am
  • One last point I wanted to explore.

(I do recognize this analogy runs the risk of taking things off-topic, and I'm depending on people's better nature's with this) From a strictly financial perspective I think guitars are a lot like guns. This is how I see an entry level purchase.

Budget shopper: If you're on a tight budget you can get something that's reliable and reasonably accurate at a budget price, understanding that the fit finish and build quality aren't going to be all that. Because of variations and lesser quality control you really have to do your homework and evaluate the item on an individual basis to make sure you're getting a good one. If you have more time than money and aren't a collector type personality this a good strategy. I'm thinking tarus or ruger

Value shopper: A value shopper has less of a hard financial constraint, but because they're not an expert user, quality and ease of use at a fair price point is the strategy. Something that comes to mind would be a smith and Wesson revolver. If you're looking at glass case display, those revolvers are going to have a bigger price tag than most of the surrounding products. But the build quality/fit and finish is to a good spec so you know what you're getting, and if you look at the resale value, it's usually not much off the retail cost and because it's a desirable item it's easy to find a buyer if you want to sell it later.

I do think once you get past that value level you're in enthusiast territory and there's sharply diminishing returns. A PRS custom costs several times what an american standard strat costs and the differences would not be meaningful to a beginner. The cost difference between epiphone/squire level instruments and fender usa instrument is not huge, but the difference in quality is apparent even to a novice. But if you don't have the money you don't have the money and you can be patient and find yourself a good bargain without ending up with a piece of crap that you wish you hadn't tried to save a few bucks by buying.

Ok, that's all I got.

ha! :)

-s
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 am
  • Pick up multiple guitars while shopping and play what you can, and buy the one that feels most comfortable playing. This tip will save you a lot of time. The neck feel is very important.

Then remember, you GET what you pay for.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Pick up multiple guitars while shopping and play what you can, and buy the one that feels most comfortable playing. This tip will save you a lot of time. The neck feel is very important.

Then remember, you GET what you pay for.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. Each guitar's going to feel different depending on the size of your hand and your fingers. For me, Fender was the most comfortable, so I ended up going with a Telecaster.

I also chose the Telecaster instead of the Stratocaster because I play more chords than soloing and the Tele's a bit wider for that purpose. So, you'll want to know what kind of music you're planning on playing, as well, because that'll influence your choice.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:07 am
  • I appreciate all the tips. It sounds like I'm going to be spending $600-$700 or perhaps more. I didn't realize there was no such thing as a good entry-level guitar, lol. Part of why I made the thread - I am a TOTAL noob to this.

Another noob question. Do I even need an amp for anything right now? I am going to start learning using Rocksmith. I have a decent pair of headphones (http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gamer-heads ... one-pc-360) I can use. I certainly don't have any interest in anyone hearing me play until I become good at it, haha.

Also, can I expect reasonably good advice in terms of finding the right fit (regardless of where I buy from) if I go to a Guitar Center store? There's one right near me in Kirkland, and I don't know if that's like going to Best Buy to ask about electronics which is a bad idea because their sales associates don't know crap, or if I can expect the employees at Guitar Center to actually have some knowledge.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 am
  • 600 - 700 dollars will get you a pretty solid guitar. I've heard that guitar center doesn't keep their products well stored, but you could almost make that argument for any store I suppose. Their staff is probably going to be more knowledgeable than Best Buy, but really it's going to come down to what you want anyway and how it feels. If you are worried about how the guitar will sound in various amps as well as it's long-term durability and things like staying in tune, I would check out Harmony Central's review database. There are lots of reviews for almost every single electric guitar you can buy. There is really not "fit" for somebody as pretty much all guitars are the same size with slight variations in the neck width and depth. If it's your first guitar, probably all of them are going to seem a bit uncomfortable as you get used to it.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electr ... -p/rr-1601

As for an amp...yes you will need an amp, unless Rocksmith comes with one (i'm not familiar with the product). I have an audio interface plugged into my computer that has 1/4" inputs that I can plug an electric guitar into and use PC software for an amplifier, although IMO it's not as good as a nice amp.

I know you didn't ask about practicing/playing, but IMO if you want to get good as fast as possible, make sure you are really pushing your fingers to the point where they hurt.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:38 pm
  • I'm not in any rush to become good as fast as possible; and I certainly don't want to overdo it and burn out. Rocksmith doesn't need an amp, it comes with a 1/4" to USB cable you plug in to your computer and the sound goes through there. Even if you have poor speakers or headphones, (which I don't) the software will recognize exactly what you're really playing even if you can't hear the proper nuances.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:46 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not in any rush to become good as fast as possible; and I certainly don't want to overdo it and burn out. Rocksmith doesn't need an amp, it comes with a 1/4" to USB cable you plug in to your computer and the sound goes through there. Even if you have poor speakers or headphones, (which I don't) the software will recognize exactly what you're really playing even if you can't hear the proper nuances.

Did you look at the JS10 youtube thing I posted? Unless you're hitting the stage, amps are now obsolete. As are pedals. You should also look at the traveler guitar I posted. . Right in your price range and a (full scale) neck you will play more frequently than a full size guitar. ..and you don't need an amp. As stated, I have a sizable collection, I now play it more than any other. Just so convenient and fits in an overhead, too.

Another thing, Roland...why not buy an acoustic for now? A few hundred bucks will get you a damn good, used acoustic and you don't need to purchase anything else. Should you stay playing, you're ultimately going to end up getting one anyway.

To all you guitar whizzes...I would really encourage you too to demo both the Traveler and JS10. The Traveler needs new tuners, bridge and pick-up, but you have a tiny, hot rod (with full scale neck) when you're done. Love this thing.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:50 pm
  • sadhappy wrote:One last point I wanted to explore.

(I do recognize this analogy runs the risk of taking things off-topic, and I'm depending on people's better nature's with this) From a strictly financial perspective I think guitars are a lot like guns. This is how I see an entry level purchase.

Budget shopper: If you're on a tight budget you can get something that's reliable and reasonably accurate at a budget price, understanding that the fit finish and build quality aren't going to be all that. Because of variations and lesser quality control you really have to do your homework and evaluate the item on an individual basis to make sure you're getting a good one. If you have more time than money and aren't a collector type personality this a good strategy. I'm thinking tarus or ruger

Value shopper: A value shopper has less of a hard financial constraint, but because they're not an expert user, quality and ease of use at a fair price point is the strategy. Something that comes to mind would be a smith and Wesson revolver. If you're looking at glass case display, those revolvers are going to have a bigger price tag than most of the surrounding products. But the build quality/fit and finish is to a good spec so you know what you're getting, and if you look at the resale value, it's usually not much off the retail cost and because it's a desirable item it's easy to find a buyer if you want to sell it later.

I do think once you get past that value level you're in enthusiast territory and there's sharply diminishing returns. A PRS custom costs several times what an american standard strat costs and the differences would not be meaningful to a beginner. The cost difference between epiphone/squire level instruments and fender usa instrument is not huge, but the difference in quality is apparent even to a novice. But if you don't have the money you don't have the money and you can be patient and find yourself a good bargain without ending up with a piece of crap that you wish you hadn't tried to save a few bucks by buying.

Ok, that's all I got.

ha! :)

-s

That's the guitar shoppers bible right there. Great insight / contribution. (again I thank you, SH, for the sage advice yesterday...I'm formulating a new, plateau conquering approach right now). Aloha.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:50 am
  • The rocksmith should work fine roland.

As far as getting 3d help in instrument selection, the attendant at a chain store is probably going to steer you to whatever's most beneficial to him unfortunately. My suggestion would be to find out where the local pros take their guitars for work, it'll typically be a small shop run by some old rocker. I think you would enjoy that a lot, they always have lots of war stories to tell from their glory days and they love to share knowledge.

Hawkwow: aloha to you too. I might be a mainlander, but I am not without breath. ;)
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 am
  • First, I agree that a guitar is $600+ or not at all.

Second, some local stores will actually rent musical instruments for a term of months. This might be a good way to go as you learn and figure out what you like. It's how I got my start.

Finally, although this topic is about electric, you should know that it's no problem to go from acoustic to electric, but the reverse is not true. I think the more holistic approach is generally to learn acoustic first.
    m parallel
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 am
  • I need another copy of Rocksmith, was pretty fun actually. I found that is got my fingers moving, you learn to flow with the song, very cool and fun!

But it along with my old xbox got stolen!! :?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:53 pm
  • Loving this thread as well. I too, want to pick up an axe again. I was self taught and messed around with a guitar for several years. I never really advanced my playing but I had fun trying to learn songs from Guitar World's tabs. Now with this new found Rock Smith I'm wanting to give it another shot. Had a pawn shop hollow body electric with a radio shack amp and a Samick acoustic that was given as a gift. I love guitars. The look, the shape etc. Each and everyone is like its own piece of art.

None the less, I was looking at an Epiphone Dot Studio. From the reviews I've read from various sites, it seems to be a good start up semi hollow body. Blues has been a genre I've always wanted to learn to play.

Insight/opinions from the guitar heads here about the Epiphone Dot Studio?
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 am
  • Don't know much about this Epi-Dot...but the original, the Gibson ES-335 Dot-neck, is as fine a guitar as one could ask for. Especially for blues, rockabilly etc. It's a rather large bodied guitar but plays comfortably, standing or seated.

You would likely want to tear everything off, and out, then start over using quality components. The tuners for sure. ...100% certain they will be crap. You will hate life if you don't replace them instantly.

These are assembly line guitars but I imagine some are better than others. The inspector, likely some disgruntled fat chick known at the factory as Norma #116. And just like with Norma...anything can happen. If you find one you like...that's all that matters. Good luck and have fun.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 am
  • HawkWow wrote:Don't know much about this Epi-Dot...but the original, the Gibson ES-335 Dot-neck, is as fine a guitar as one could ask for. Especially for blues, rockabilly etc. It's a rather large bodied guitar but plays comfortably, standing or seated.

You would likely want to tear everything off, and out, then start over using quality components. The tuners for sure. ...100% certain they will be crap. You will hate life if you don't replace them instantly.

These are assembly line guitars but I imagine some are better than others. The inspector, likely some disgruntled fat chick known at the factory as Norma #116. And just like with Norma...anything can happen. If you find one you like...that's all that matters. Good luck and have fun.

Funny, you are correct about the tuners. Some of the reviews I read said the same thing about replacing them. Also, talks about replacing the pick-ups was discussed. Some seem to be happy with the pick-ups it comes with while others say to switch them out. For what I want it for, I believe the standard set-up would suffice for now.
    Believe me, I'm a research fiend when it comes to spending my money on a product. I want to know as much about an item before I even get it.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/News/2005/Guitar-Player-Magazine-Reviews-The-Epiphone-Dot-St.aspx

Here's a review video if you wanna take a look.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:27 pm
  • I am astonished by the low quality tuners some companies to continue to install on their guitars, GH. Frustrating for beginners, infuriating for the more experienced. I prefer the Schaller M6 (locking) tuners, under $100, but some may prefer the Grovers, etc. I don't consider myself an expert on such things, but we do have experts in this thread. I'd put their opinions above mine (just tryin' to help).

The pick-ups? You know, you may be fine with the stock ones. As a beginner, as long as they don't buzz and stuff, you may not feel compelled to upgrade. I'm a guy that has his head up his ass about stereo equipment, guitars etc. I probably don't even actually hear the subtle differences someone like Sad Happy (etc) would hear, but I always feel like I have to have everything as close to perfect as possible. I don't wish this on anyone.

IMO...grab the guitar and if you like the action, enjoy playing it and the pick-ups are putting out acceptable sound, I'd buy it and replace the tuners. A great thing about this guitar is you will get enough sound out of it's F-holes to not always have to plug it in to play it.

I'm sure someone here has something to add (or subtract from) to what I'm saying, so I will shut up and hope they do so. Aloha.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm
  • You don't need to spend $600+ on an entry level guitar, however if you want to shell out that kind of dough I'd shoot for a Gibson melody maker or a LP pro. I'd avoid guitarcenter and their pocked faced pretentious guitar-wizards and look for some of the more reputable mom&pop shops (Northwest Guitars in bellevue is pretty decent). Craigslist is also very good (especially in this area) if you're looking for gear.

As for an amp I'd recommend getting a modeling practice amp, something like Vox or Line6 that offers a variety of tones and effects for a reasonable price. The most important thing is that you try a bunch of different guitars and pinpoint what you do/don't like and find something comfortable.

My first axe was an early 90's Jackson-RR (neck-thru) made in Japan for 250$, it had some character but it played like a dream.
    TwoDayBooze
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:I am astonished by the low quality tuners some companies to continue to install on their guitars, GH. Frustrating for beginners, infuriating for the more experienced. I prefer the Schaller M6 (locking) tuners, under $100, but some may prefer the Grovers, etc. I don't consider myself an expert on such things, but we do have experts in this thread. I'd put their opinions above mine (just tryin' to help).

The pick-ups? You know, you may be fine with the stock ones. As a beginner, as long as they don't buzz and stuff, you may not feel compelled to upgrade. I'm a guy that has his head up his ass about stereo equipment, guitars etc. I probably don't even actually hear the subtle differences someone like Sad Happy (etc) would hear, but I always feel like I have to have everything as close to perfect as possible. I don't wish this on anyone.

IMO...grab the guitar and if you like the action, enjoy playing it and the pick-ups are putting out acceptable sound, I'd buy it and replace the tuners. A great thing about this guitar is you will get enough sound out of it's F-holes to not always have to plug it in to play it.

I'm sure someone here has something to add (or subtract from) to what I'm saying, so I will shut up and hope they do so. Aloha.

Appreciate the insight HW. I see it like this. Upgrading parts and equipment on a guitar is like what I'd do to a car or motorcycle. It's great stock, for the most part, but we'll always wanna make it custom to our likes and style.

Did you watch the video? Read the review? If so, curious what your opinion is on this guitar? Tone? Sound? I always like to hear opinions of others especially a much more experienced player.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 am
  • weird from what I have read it comes with grover tuners, http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Dot.aspx unless this is the wrong guitar?

I liked this quote also: along with that of finely honed budget models from other manufacturers---should have high end instruments watching their backsides. After all, if you can grab a damn fine guitar for little more than two hundred big ones, those expensive babies had better be absolutely fabulous and completely glitch free.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:45 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:weird from what I have read it comes with grover tuners, http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Dot.aspx unless this is the wrong guitar?

I liked this quote also: along with that of finely honed budget models from other manufacturers---should have high end instruments watching their backsides. After all, if you can grab a damn fine guitar for little more than two hundred big ones, those expensive babies had better be absolutely fabulous and completely glitch free.

You are correct. An oversight on my part.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:05 pm
  • well with the combination of a tune-o-matic bridge and grovers you should be golden where tuning is concerned. Thats a nice guitar imo.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:29 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:well with the combination of a tune-o-matic bridge and grovers you should be golden where tuning is concerned. Thats a nice guitar imo.

:th2thumbs:
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:06 pm
  • @Happy: I'm definitely a value shopper, not a budget shopper. After reading more stuff online and the knowledge I've gained in this thread, I'm definitely spending north of $600, but I'd really like to keep it in the triple-digit price range, including tax. (So $900 max price, preferably.) Selling what I buy now and upgrading to something that costs $2,000 a couple of years from now or whatever, I've got no problem with.

I have another question. I have shorter-than-average fingers. (Not by a significant amount, but around half of an inch shorter than the average male my height.) Should I be trying to find a guitar with a thinner neck, or something? If there's anything I should be looking for because of this, I obviously want to know before I buy. I'm not sure if it's even relevant or makes a difference, it's just something that occurred to me as a possibility, is all.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:54 pm
  • A thinner neck and slightly narrower fretboard might do you better, also the actual fretboard wood makes a difference with sound and playability. I like a slick maple, others prefer rosewood or ebony

I have an Ibanez that has a real thin neck and from what I have read most are that way, also all the Strats or copies I have or have played are nice and thin. I like it because I can mute the top strings with my thumb if I so chose.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 am
  • Roland, once you actually get one, can you give us your thoughts on Rocksmith?
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 am
  • I certainly will, London. I'll make a new thread when the time comes. Of course, they'll be thoughts from a total noob perspective, though. However, the game itself looks amazing. Read the answers to their frequently asked questions here to see what I mean: http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/faq/
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 pm
  • Happy wrote:Fender american standard stratocaster gets my vote. Versatile, easy to play/learn on, will hold it's value if taken care of (no belt buckle scratches etc).

This gets my vote as well. I recently bought a Les Paul, and it's my favorite guitar that I own hands down, but it's not something I would recommend learning on. I first learned on an Epiphone and later on bought a Strat when I could still be considered a beginner. Fenders are easier to play for beginners, in my experience. You couldn't go wrong with a Strat or a Tele.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm
  • I just put Rocksmith on my Christmas list :)

I'll weigh in too, but I'm a total amateur. I got a cheapo Epiphone, for like $150, but knew a guy who works on guitars when I was working down in Tacoma. He did a complete setup on it, replaced tuners, new output jack, new strings, and really set it up so the action was great, stays in tune. Think it was another $100?

I think it was a good value, plays pretty nice from what I've been told from some experienced guitarist for $250 total. :Dunno:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 pm
  • Yep, if you can't do it yourself a setup from someone who knows what they are doing makes a world of difference!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 pm
  • I just checked out the Rocksmith site. I totally thought it was instructional software (which it is) but it's also a video game? Kinda cool. As soon as I look into getting an axe I'll be getting Rocksmith. Excited about it.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:14 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:Yep, if you can't do it yourself a setup from someone who knows what they are doing makes a world of difference!

^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And buy a "440 A" tuning fork. One of the toughest thangs, for beginners, is to keep the damn thing in tune. You could buy an electronic tuner BUT, the tuning fork will help train your ear. Eventually, you will know immediately when something's not quite right.
    Have fun, man.

Go Hawks,
    BillA
    Never use a quiet tool, when a loud one will do
    Bill Assumpcao
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information