Geek Question: Best Video Streaming Server S/W for hobbyist?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • I am playing around with the BroadCam Video Streaming Server s/w from RCH. I have the non-commercial version right now. It has this quirk that is starting to bug me in that no matter what quality the Pre-Recorded video I add to it, it wants to run it through a multi-hour conversion for HQ/LQ MP4.

This was even after the original recording was recorded as a HQ MP4. There doesn't seem to be a way around this so now I am considering other servers. I found the BroadCam one by doing a Google, so now I am going to try soliciting a Peer-group.

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent Video Streaming Server?

Right now I am running off my Windows 8 PC. Depends on what I decide to do, I may run this on a Windows Home Server 2011 (not doing much now for me, other than managing a video library and a backend network storage configuration).

It doesn't need to be free. I don't mind coughing up a few bucks if the quality is there.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I use Plex. It works pretty well, and has a nice-looking interface; though it handles a mouse cursor like a fumbling 14-year-old boy handles a bra clasp. Check it out. It plays like, anything, regardless of what codec or quality you have it in. It'll also let you stream to mobile devices using an app where you can choose a quality to re-encode it with on the fly. Your server will just re-encode it live and you can even specify a custom bit rate in the app to have it re-encode at. Obviously that'll hit your CPU pretty hard on the server itself when you use the live re-encode option, but it lets you have your full home library anywhere you go. You will need a decent processor for good live re-encoding, though.

Also, one downside is that it doesn't have a Linux server as of yet. Since I use an InfiniTV 4 for TV in my place, I have to use Windows Media Center, so it's not a big deal to me because I have to run Windows anyways, but I really hope Plex brings a Linux server app at some point. A couple of features I really like about it are things like being able to run in full-screen windowed mode (borderless full-screen) while being able to specify which monitor you want the app to start on, and you can also specify any audio device to run sound through regardless of what your default audio source is in Windows.

http://www.plexapp.com
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Thanks.

I think I looked at this at one time. I went with Play-On at the time, which has Android/IOS and Windows clients just like Plex

What I was looking for with BroadCam is the ability to view in a browser a video sitting on my server. It can support 5 simultaneous connections in the Free version and unlimited in the professional version. Sort of like a poor man's youtube. You have to port forward port 86, after that just pass along the URL to the video of interest. Which is a kludge but good enough for what I want.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Your entire library is just available through the mobile apps for it. I don't know if it supports playback through a web browser; I don't think it does, though. However, I see there is a Plex Chrome app, so it looks like it actually might. Interesting.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Check you PM in about 15 minutes. I need a favor. Thanks Roland!
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Diags, what'd I tell you? I don't do those kinds of favors anymore after my sexual reorientation therapy!
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• But this is geek stuff, so I know you cannot help it.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I use Plex as well.

App on the Roku works well, and the app on the iPad works good too(kid mostly uses this one)

Running off a pretty typical Win7 desktop.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information