Reporting an individual to the IRS

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Reporting an individual to the IRS
Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:55 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    ****UPDATE****

Consider her reported. He mailed off the form to the IRS yesterday.

Good. Roland seems to be the only with his head on his shoulders in this thread. You had to report her because it's your job. If you hadn't, and this came to light, you could kiss your career goodbye.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:57 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:I just dont see this ending well. Your brother was living with this lady as commonlaw spouses. He told her he wanted no dealings in her tax returns? Sounds fishy to me. He had to have known what was going on to say that. Sounds like he's just looking to get back at her for having to pay spousal support and it may come back to bite him in the ass. It didn't all of a sudden come to his knowledge what she was doing. He didn't just finally feel some moral obligation to do what's right. Sorry, but it sounds like just flat out revenge. Hopefully the IRS doesn't come down on him for turning a blind eye to the fraud and benefiting in some way (I don't believe he didn't at all).

I'm sure it wasn't new info to him but it was to me. Two different things going on. I'm sure his motive is revenge. No doubt in my mind about that. From my perspective, had I been the preparer to have found out about her lying I would have had no choice but to report her.
    You'd have to know the ex but the girl is a money hungry individual. She's had a me first attitude the whole relationship and even with the court proceedings and their daughter. It was more about how much she could get in spousal support (undeservingly) then putting their daughter first. She's shown her true chracter time and time again. Shes a piece of work let me tell you. I feel sorry for the next guy who shows interest in her. The ex worked but never helped to support the household. The tax refund was supposed to divided between her and the grandmother.
    There will be no reprecussions regarding him and the IRS. I've already discussed the scenario with my IRS agent regarding what he might do. Since he never appeared on the any tax return she's filed nor do they own any property together, it's like he doesn't exist. And the 3949-A allows an individual to report anonymously.

That's good to hear. Sounds like your typical ex nowadays. I've seen it too many times.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:
    ****UPDATE****

Good. Roland seems to be the only with his head on his shoulders in this thread. You had to report her because it's your job. If you hadn't, and this came to light, you could kiss your career goodbye.

Well it could've been had I been the one who had prepared her taxes and done nothing.

This is how stupid she is. My brother told her he was going to report her and her response was, "I paid extra to H&R Block and any mistake they make is on them."

Stupid bitch. LOL!
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 am
  • So she doesn't understand the difference between a mistake and an outright lie? Can't say I feel sympathy for her.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:Didn't your brother also benefit from the tax scam? They were living together as man and wife. Did they share the same bank accounts? See where I'm going?

And it's kinda hard to say you're not interested in revenge, when in your OP you talk about revenge...no?

They were never married legally until court two months ago. He never benefitted from it. He always told her he wanted no part of her tax dealings. No shared accounts, no major purchases together. The home was purchased by him. No paperwork binding them together.

I mention revenge in my OP but not for me. For him. I never cared for her during their relationship and I steered clear of getting involved in any disagreements they had.

****UPDATE****

Do they live in Washington State? If so, she could have a stake in the house. Your brother might have stepped into a bunch of shit. IIRC, it's called a meretricious relationship. If she had anything to do with the house...paying bills, cleaning, etc., she could very well have a claim on the property.

There is also a child from the union? Your brother's gonna pay something. If she's working, I doubt he's paying her support. Child support maybe, but not spousal support. Just my opinion.

You might try this site: www.hansenlaw.com/Meretricious-Relationships.html
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:43 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:Didn't your brother also benefit from the tax scam? They were living together as man and wife. Did they share the same bank accounts? See where I'm going?

And it's kinda hard to say you're not interested in revenge, when in your OP you talk about revenge...no?

They were never married legally until court two months ago. He never benefitted from it. He always told her he wanted no part of her tax dealings. No shared accounts, no major purchases together. The home was purchased by him. No paperwork binding them together.

I mention revenge in my OP but not for me. For him. I never cared for her during their relationship and I steered clear of getting involved in any disagreements they had.

****UPDATE****

Do they live in Washington State? If so, she could have a stake in the house. Your brother might have stepped into a bunch of shit. IIRC, it's called a meretricious relationship. If she had anything to do with the house...paying bills, cleaning, etc., she could very well have a claim on the property.

There is also a child from the union? Your brother's gonna pay something. If she's working, I doubt he's paying her support. Child support maybe, but not spousal support. Just my opinion.

You might try this site: http://www.hansenlaw.com/Meretricious-R ... ships.html

We're in Colorado and court order has already been decided. He's got child support (which he has no problem paying) and the spousal support which he's taking her back to court. She's got a full time job in a bank and sells supplements on the side (which also doesn't report). Her ends meet just fine. She's just angry he ended the relationship.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:43 pm
  • When they went to court, didn't anyone ask for her tax returns? Did no one notice she was claiming multiple children? No one questioned why she was only asking for support for one child? How could she ask for spousal support and not have to show how much she makes?

Sounds like sloppy work to me. Did your brother use an attorney? If so, sue the attorney!
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:09 pm
  • Tax returns are at the federal level. No county/family law judge has any say about anything on the federal level. That's where the IRS reporting form comes in. :)
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:I have information regarding a particular individual that they have fraudulently and repeatedly filed and claimed EIC and child tax credit for two kids who not only aren't hers but never lived with this person. For 6 years of claiming EIC and child tax credit the total they've received is around $37,000.

This female has wronged a family member of mine and I'm saying revenge is a dish best served up ice cold.

Would you or would you not report this individual? Why or why not?

She's stealing money from you and I. Report her NOW!

Some of these tax laws themselves already piss me off. Wanna buy a house? Here, have a tax break! But guys like me who have to rent a cheap apartment to make ends meet...nope no tax breaks for you...not til you're wealthy enough to buy a home.

Have you reported her yet?

Edit: Okay I see that you did. Good for you.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:59 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:Tax returns are at the federal level. No county/family law judge has any say about anything on the federal level. That's where the IRS reporting form comes in. :)

What???? What are you talking about? What does the judge, or jurisdiction, have to do with it? This is an item any competent attorney would ask to see. It's usually done through 'discovery.'

There's also a child involved, no? The judge is always going to want to know if someone can support the child, and if not, how much child support should be granted.

There would almost certainly be some sort of parenting plan that the Court has to sanction. Why didn't your brother bring up this 'tax evasion,' then? Didn't he want his child? He'd rather have the kid be raised by a criminal?
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:18 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Some of these tax laws themselves already piss me off. Wanna buy a house? Here, have a tax break! But guys like me who have to rent a cheap apartment to make ends meet...nope no tax breaks for you...not til you're wealthy enough to buy a home.

Really? What tax breaks? The only "tax break" I've ever received on my house was the federal credits for energy efficient upgrades and for interest & property taxes. The latter are not tax breaks. Why should I have to pay federal taxes on my state taxes?

Further, I want to know why I'm not seeing any of these tax breaks everyone says I should get. My federal income tax rate is currently 38% of my gross income. I pay a crippling amount of taxes, and have yet to discover any of these great tax breaks I keep hearing about from the Occupy protestors.

Uncle Sam has gotta love having all these angry Americans running around tattling on each other and demanding more taxes on "the other guy." Too bad the angry crowds never see behind the curtain. Perhaps they'd realize they're actually screwing themselves as well.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:48 am
  • This Karma thing Hans talks about is a very very funny thing. It does have a way of coming around. BUT, it usually involves it coming back to get you if YOU'VE done something wrong. Its my experience that if you keep your slate clean, always try to do the right thing, then theres not much to worry about if your conscience is clear. As for me, I would still have left this one alone. Though not as satisfying as "getting back" at her, your brother could still rest assured that what goes around comes around, and she'd get hers in some other way you just can't see right now. If the crime were more severe, like child abuse, then of course, like the rest of us, call the cops. But not this.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:44 am
  • Boy this takes me back.

Many years ago my sister who lives in Seattle sent me her oldest, who was 17 at the time to live with us as he couldn't get along with his stepfather. He came to us in March and lived with us the entire year until around Christmas.

So when we filed our taxes we claimed him as a dependent since he has been with us more than half the year.(that was the rule then, not sure what it is now) About 6 months into the following year when he was still with us part time we get this threatening letter from the IRS because it turned out my brother in law had claimed him too. It took a bit to get that worked out and a couple of trips to the IRS office and a letter from my sister taking our side.

So I'm really surprised the IRS hasn't gotten some hint of that problem.

Anyway the nephew is now 61 and we still talk about it now and then and laugh. But it wasn't funny at the time. So I can understand greenhill's problem.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:47 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:Tax returns are at the federal level. No county/family law judge has any say about anything on the federal level. That's where the IRS reporting form comes in. :)

What???? What are you talking about? What does the judge, or jurisdiction, have to do with it? This is an item any competent attorney would ask to see. It's usually done through 'discovery.'

There's also a child involved, no? The judge is always going to want to know if someone can support the child, and if not, how much child support should be granted.

There would almost certainly be some sort of parenting plan that the Court has to sanction. Why didn't your brother bring up this 'tax evasion,' then? Didn't he want his child? He'd rather have the kid be raised by a criminal?

The tax thing was brought up in court but like I said taxes are handled on the federal level. No county judge can do anything that's why it has to go to the federal level. My brother had a shit lawyer and had fired him. He represented himself and was awarded 50/50 custody. Since then, he's hired a new agressive lawyer who's well versed in family law. My brother is taking the thief back to court and a new case will be on the docket within a few weeks. :)
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:51 am
  • The Radish wrote:Boy this takes me back.

Many years ago my sister who lives in Seattle sent me her oldest, who was 17 at the time to live with us as he couldn't get along with his stepfather. He came to us in March and lived with us the entire year until around Christmas.

So when we filed our taxes we claimed him as a dependent since he has been with us more than half the year.(that was the rule then, not sure what it is now) About 6 months into the following year when he was still with us part time we get this threatening letter from the IRS because it turned out my brother in law had claimed him too. It took a bit to get that worked out and a couple of trips to the IRS office and a letter from my sister taking our side.

So I'm really surprised the IRS hasn't gotten some hint of that problem.

Anyway the nephew is now 61 and we still talk about it now and then and laugh. But it wasn't funny at the time. So I can understand greenhell's problem.

Tax law is still the same. The dependent must live/reside in the home for six months or longer. Things is, with my brothers ex, the nephews never once lived with them. The children have alwasy lived with their grand mother.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:48 pm
  • I've been involved in things similar to this, not taxes, but other things that pissed me off that someone was getting away with, but I never snitched. I guess I have 2 reasons for this.

1. If I'm sitting there getting away with something that was awesome (in a selfish way), I would wanna seriously hurt the person that stuck his/her nose in my bidness to ruin my grift, or worse, sent me to prison 'cause they thought it was "wrong". And this could be something that most people wouldn't have a problem with, but some individual thought it was wrong because their moral/religious compass was different than mine. Growing/selling a little pot might fit this category. Mind your own business a-hole!

2. I would always be worried that someone would snitch that I was the snitcher. And I wouldn't want to have to say to myself one day "Why oh why didn't I just mind my own business!?!?" as said person exacts his/her revenge upon myself. That's why I just look the other way most of the time. I figure they'll be caught eventually without my nosy intervention.

Moral of the story is: If someone's doing something, and it's not directly hurting anybody, let it be! Sheesh.

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:56 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:Tax returns are at the federal level. No county/family law judge has any say about anything on the federal level. That's where the IRS reporting form comes in. :)

The tax thing was brought up in court but like I said taxes are handled on the federal level. No county judge can do anything that's why it has to go to the federal level. My brother had a shit lawyer and had fired him. He represented himself and was awarded 50/50 custody. Since then, he's hired a new agressive lawyer who's well versed in family law. My brother is taking the thief back to court and a new case will be on the docket within a few weeks. :)

I'm not talking about the judge bringing charges on tax fraud; I'm talking about her tax return showing she illegally claims three dependents, two of whom do not live with her. It would show her to be a dishonest person.

How could the judge render a decision on spousal support if s/he doesn't know how much the wife earned? (BTW: If your brother truly brought up the tax thing why didn't he show the tax return(s) to the judge? You don't make those kind of claims in open court and not have to prove it.)

And now your brother has fired his shit lawyer, defended himself, and has hired a new aggressive attorney? LOL! Please..
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 pm
  • Yeah the story has a couple holes in it for sure
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 am
  • HansGruber wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Some of these tax laws themselves already piss me off. Wanna buy a house? Here, have a tax break! But guys like me who have to rent a cheap apartment to make ends meet...nope no tax breaks for you...not til you're wealthy enough to buy a home.

Really? What tax breaks? The only "tax break" I've ever received on my house was the federal credits for energy efficient upgrades and for interest & property taxes. The latter are not tax breaks. Why should I have to pay federal taxes on my state taxes?

Further, I want to know why I'm not seeing any of these tax breaks everyone says I should get. My federal income tax rate is currently 38% of my gross income. I pay a crippling amount of taxes, and have yet to discover any of these great tax breaks I keep hearing about from the Occupy protestors.

Uncle Sam has gotta love having all these angry Americans running around tattling on each other and demanding more taxes on "the other guy." Too bad the angry crowds never see behind the curtain. Perhaps they'd realize they're actually screwing themselves as well.

Did you or do you have a mortgage on your house?
    your interest on your mortgage is tex exempt income, the first 4 years at least, that is enough to put your exemptions high enough to use itemized deductions, and increase your tax return.
    Yes, it is rather indirect, as far as a tax break goes, but, if you are buying the house, you are buying the house, and the cost is consistent, so extra deductions for the interest count.

edit for clarity: the first 4 years was meant that the interest payment would be high enough at least that long, not that the deduction only lasts 4 or so years
    Dismas
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:49 am
  • LymonHawk wrote: I'm not talking about the judge bringing charges on tax fraud; I'm talking about her tax return showing she illegally claims three dependents, two of whom do not live with her. It would show her to be a dishonest person.
    How could the judge render a decision on spousal support if s/he doesn't know how much the wife earned? (BTW: If your brother truly brought up the tax thing why didn't he show the tax return(s) to the judge? You don't make those kind of claims in open court and not have to prove it.)
    And now your brother has fired his shit lawyer, defended himself, and has hired a new aggressive attorney? LOL! Please..

First off, kinda of a pain in the ass to try to give details on an ipad. Just too much info. Come to find out the initial lawyer is new to lawyering and didn't do his job yet pocketed $5000 for his BS services (my brother is looking to reclaim most of that money back, but that's another story). Hence, the dunce was fired. My brother repped himself in court in the more important part of the hearing which was the custody. She was wanting 5 days to 2. Only reason she wanted that is because child support is determined based on how many nights are spent with the mother. The more nights she has, the more $$$ it meant for her.

At the start of a dissolution of marriage both parties are required to have disclose the past 3 years of financials so that the court could see who earns what. My bro followed through and gave them 3 years worth. She only provided two years worth of returns and financials which, by the way, was brought up in court. Nothing was said about it by the judge. To me, that should have ended the proceedings and a new court date set up when she provided 3 years.

Secondly, his plan to was to show she's a shady chracter to the court. He not only brought up her falsely claiming the two boys on the returns but also stated the damn kids never lived with them. The judge had the tax/financial info right in front of her yet did nor said nothing about it! Instead, because my brother didn't have legal representation she left it up to her lawyer to determine figures on both spousal support and child support. All that leads us to where he is now.

What I'm finding out with Colroado law is that it always favors the woman in these cases which is BS! Besides my bro, I have a friend who went through a divorce a few years back and he lost his butt off. Considering the weirdness of my bros case he's done well in that he repped himself in court and won 50/50 custody which is unheard of I'm told.
    Last edited by Greenhell on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:49 am
  • HansGruber wrote:Yeah the story has a couple holes in it for sure

What holes might those be?
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:22 am
  • Why is everyone making themselves sound superior by trying to take the piss out of Greenhell, here? I don't get it, really.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:09 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Yeah the story has a couple holes in it for sure

What holes? Where to start?

Your brother never knew or profited from her making an extra 5-6 thousand a year?
    She never put any of 'her' money or labor towards the maintenance or upkeep of the house?
    They never had any joint accounts, etc.?
    He's not a co-conspirator? As long as they were man & wife, your brother does nothing about the tax evasion, but now he's a model citizen?

I could go on, but why?

Your story just doesn't make sense. I'm sure there is some reality in your post, but a lot of it you just made up along the way. IMHO. Maybe you should have stayed with just the "should I turn her in" question. Instead you had to keep spinning this story. Enough.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:18 am
  • Man, we sure do have ALOT of members here that must be perfect, based solely on the judgments they cast. A lot of armchair morality deities. And, a lot of others who worry about others more than themselves.

"I'm the crazy one" on most cases, but this thread makes me uncomfortable. Just gross. Greenhell's a good dude. Enough.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:35 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Yeah the story has a couple holes in it for sure

Your brother never knew or profited from her making an extra 5-6 thousand a year?
    She never put any of 'her' money or labor towards the maintenance or upkeep of the house?
    He's not a co-conspirator? As long as they were man & wife, your brother does nothing about the tax evasion, but now he's a model citizen?

I could go on, but why?

Your story just doesn't make sense. I'm sure there is some reality in your post, but a lot of it you just made up along the way. IMHO. Maybe you should have stayed with just the "should I turn her in" question. Instead you had to keep spinning this story. Enough.

Of course he knew she was doing it. I stated that earlier. And In what ways was he supposed to profit from it? No, she did nothing to improve the house. Why should she? The house wasn't in her name. She wasn't sharing any of the money from the refund other than with her mother. He wanted nothing to do with for the simple fact if she ever did get in trouble from it it wouldn't be on him. He told her evey year she shouldn't do it, yet she did anyway. He offered to file jointly but she refused because she knew he made to much money and wouldn't get the big refund. As matter do fact, they wouldn't have gotten anything more than their standard refund based on combined income. And where did I say he was a model citizen?

And once again, THEY WERE NEVER MARRIED the duration of their relationship until she took him to court demanding a marriage for the sole purpose to take him to the cleaners because he ended the relationship. This bitch was crazy and still is. She threatened suicide numerous times scaring the shit out him cus we wouldn't put it past her to have tried.

No, they never had a joint account. Why is that so hard to believe? Everything was kept separate. No cars or majors purchases in their names.Th house he bought on his own.The only thing that the judge found a basis to rule a common law marriage was the fact that they have a 3 year old daughter together.

And lastly, yeah I got nothing better to do than to spend my time fabricating a story on a football forum just to stir the pot and get a reaction. :th2thumbs:
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:37 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:

I could go on, but why?

Of course he knew she was doing it. I stated that earlier. And In what ways was he supposed to profit from it? No, she did nothing to improve the house. Why should she? The house wasn't in her name. She wasn't sharing any of the money from the refund other than with her mother. He wanted nothing to do with for the simple fact if she ever did get in trouble from it it wouldn't be on him. He told her evey year she shouldn't do it, yet she did anyway. He offered to file jointly but she refused because she knew he made to much money and wouldn't get the big refund. As matter do fact, they wouldn't have gotten anything more than their standard refund based on combined income. And where did I say he was a model citizen?

And once again, THEY WERE NEVER MARRIED the duration of their relationship until she took him to court demanding a marriage for the sole purpose to take him to the cleaners because he ended the relationship. This bitch was crazy and still is. She threatened suicide numerous times scaring the shit out him cus we wouldn't put it past her to have tried.

No, they never had a joint account. Why is that so hard to believe? Everything was kept separate. No cars or majors purchases in their names.Th house he bought on his own.The only thing that the judge found a basis to rule a common law marriage was the fact that they have a 3 year old daughter together.

And lastly, yeah I got nothing better to do than to spend my time fabricating a story on a football forum just to stir the pot and get a reaction. :th2thumbs:
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:38 am
  • pehawk wrote:Man, we sure do have ALOT of members here that must be perfect, based solely on the judgments they cast. A lot of armchair morality deities. And, a lot of others who worry about others more than themselves.

"I'm the crazy one" on most cases, but this thread makes me uncomfortable. Just gross. Greenhell's a good dude. Enough.

Thank you. :D
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information