My Potential Seattle visit

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: My Potential Seattle visit
Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Also, it's a myth that it rains a lot in Seattle...it barely does compared to Scotland.

Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:52 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)

The wife and I were up in Seattle a few years back and the so called rain was really weird to us coming from Colorado. One block it would be raining pretty good and on the next block a light mist but go over a few blocks and there would be sunshine. But you're right, there was always some sort of mist/drizzle falling. Loved it.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:07 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

The wife and I were up in Seattle a few years back and the so called rain was really weird to us coming from Colorado. One block it would be raining pretty good and on the next block a light mist but go over a few blocks and there would be sunshine. But you're right, there was always some sort of mist/drizzle falling. Loved it.

That's why Seattleites dress in layers at all times. T-shirt, flannel, sweatshirt, rain shell with a hood, etc. I'm ready for a monsoon at any second, or the sun! :lol:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Also, it's a myth that it rains a lot in Seattle...it barely does compared to Scotland.

Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

I did say compared to Scotland to be fair. It pretty much does rain all the time there along with the grey skies. I do agree with you but you don't really notice the rain most of the time in Seattle due to how light it is, definitely not enough for the city to have a reputation as always raining.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:34 am
  • Woah, never knew that the Jimi Hendrix memorial was in Renton, might have to go visit that sometime.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:definitely not enough for the city to have a reputation as always raining.

Yeah, a far more accurate depiction would be "always overcast and wet". The ground doesn't get dry for half a year, but you virtually never get soaked being outside.

Blame Hollywood. They portray Seattle as practically being underwater. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information