Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: My Potential Seattle visit
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:37 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22746
Location: Kirkland, WA
Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
Also, it's a myth that it rains a lot in Seattle...it barely does compared to Scotland.


Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Potential Seattle visit
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:52 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am
Posts: 2644
RolandDeschain wrote:
Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)


The wife and I were up in Seattle a few years back and the so called rain was really weird to us coming from Colorado. One block it would be raining pretty good and on the next block a light mist but go over a few blocks and there would be sunshine. But you're right, there was always some sort of mist/drizzle falling. Loved it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Potential Seattle visit
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:07 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 5083
Location: South End
Greenhell wrote:
RolandDeschain wrote:
Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)


The wife and I were up in Seattle a few years back and the so called rain was really weird to us coming from Colorado. One block it would be raining pretty good and on the next block a light mist but go over a few blocks and there would be sunshine. But you're right, there was always some sort of mist/drizzle falling. Loved it.


That's why Seattleites dress in layers at all times. T-shirt, flannel, sweatshirt, rain shell with a hood, etc. I'm ready for a monsoon at any second, or the sun! :lol:

_________________
"We ran into a buzz saw," - John Fox, Super Bowl XLVIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Potential Seattle visit
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm
Posts: 176
RolandDeschain wrote:
Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
Also, it's a myth that it rains a lot in Seattle...it barely does compared to Scotland.


Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)


I did say compared to Scotland to be fair. It pretty much does rain all the time there along with the grey skies. I do agree with you but you don't really notice the rain most of the time in Seattle due to how light it is, definitely not enough for the city to have a reputation as always raining.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Potential Seattle visit
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:34 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 pm
Posts: 1901
Woah, never knew that the Jimi Hendrix memorial was in Renton, might have to go visit that sometime.

_________________
20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20

Want to save money? Get cash back from online purchases through Ebates! Referral link here!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Potential Seattle visit
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22746
Location: Kirkland, WA
Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
definitely not enough for the city to have a reputation as always raining.

Yeah, a far more accurate depiction would be "always overcast and wet". The ground doesn't get dry for half a year, but you virtually never get soaked being outside.

Blame Hollywood. They portray Seattle as practically being underwater. :)

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.