My Potential Seattle visit

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
My Potential Seattle visit
Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 am
  • Ok so im considering going to Seattle next year

Its going to cost me a frickin fortune

I was wondering apart from downtown seattle are any of these other places good for transport wise and things to do to get to downtown ...let me know what ones i should score off

Seattle (and vicinity) /Downtown Seattle /Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) /Bellevue Seattle Center /South Lake Union University District Lynnwood North Seattle Pioneer Square Capitol Hill Snoqualmie Redmond Bothell Woodinville.

I just copy pasted it from expedia so excuse the half assed effort
    Last edited by dino26 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Image GO HAWKS !

Follow me on Twitter: @NFL_Hawk
    dino26
    NET Veteran

Re: Seattle locations
Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 am
  • I'm working on a string talking about hotels, motels, places to eat etc.

But its in the formative stages. Lots of experts here tho.
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 am
  • Consider flying Air Canada, I have found them to be cheaper getting to the UK and back.

"You hear a little girl Frankie?"
    KINGGRUMPY
    ** SSGT GRUMPY ** USAF BadAss

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 am
  • Ahh nice one radish ..how is the transport system in Seattle
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:37 am
  • KINGGRUMPY wrote:Consider flying Air Canada, I have found them to be cheaper getting to the UK and back.

Ill just go with whatever the cheapest flight is on Expedia when doing the search ha ...usually is US Airways going from Glasgow to Philly then to Seattle.
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Re: My Potential Seattle visit
Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:05 am
  • How far is the Huskies stadium from the main downtown seattle core ?
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:42 am
  • the clink and husky stadiums are about 5 miles apart. so it just depends on where you start from. If you put a dot in the middle of downtown, Im gonna guess 6.75km.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:18 am
  • Scottish_Hawk wrote:Ok so im considering going to Seattle next year

I was wondering apart from downtown seattle are any of these other places good for transport wise and things to do to get to downtown ...let me know what ones i should score off

Seattle (and vicinity) /Downtown Seattle /Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) /Bellevue Seattle Center /South Lake Union University District Lynnwood North Seattle Pioneer Square Capitol Hill Snoqualmie Redmond Bothell Woodinville.

Downtown Seattle has FREE bus rides so no real need to rent a car if you're sight seeing downtown.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:31 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    Scottish_Hawk wrote:Ok so im considering going to Seattle next year

Downtown Seattle has FREE bus rides so no real need to rent a car if you're sight seeing downtown.

When I visited in '08, I actually spent most of my time downtown walking around. I did use the bus lines to head to the zoo and to take my 4-year old daughter to the troll under the Fremont bridge.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:00 am
  • Greenhell wrote:

:? Im scottish so anything that is free is music to my ears .... wow cant believe it is free does it not get used up so much by hawks and mariners fans ?
    :shock:
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 am
  • Scottish_Hawk wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:

:? Im scottish so anything that is free is music to my ears .... wow cant believe it is free does it not get used up so much by hawks and mariners fans ?
    :shock:

Crap! Disregard my info. I was gonna post the free ride route downtown but this popped up. http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/ride-free-area/index.html

Even if it's no longer free, the best way to take in the city is by foot. It's been two years since we've been up in Seattle but in two consecutive years we walked and did cabs when the feet wouldn't go anymore. We walked from the Space Needle all the way to the Stadium a few times during our stay. I'd rent a car if we were headed outside of downtown Seattle. My next trip I want wo head to Renton to Jimi Hendrix's gravesite as well as Bruce Les's.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:06 am
  • Yea, they got rid of the free zone awhile back.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69790
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69382

Good info in those two threads, from what I wrote before:

Pike Place and the gum wall
    Underground Tour
    Ride the Duck
    Monorail
    Space Needle
    EMP
    Take a ferry ride
    Fremont troll

There's also some beautiful parks, bring a picnic and enjoy the views,
    Lincoln Park and Alki Beach in West Seattle
    Discovery Park in Magnolia
    Golden Gardens in Ballard
    Carkeek Park

Also if you're a Bruce Lee fan, you can visit his and Brandons grave
    Jimi Hendrix's grave
    Check out Kurt Cobains old house and the bench
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:40 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Yea, they got rid of the free zone awhile back.

Jimi Hendrix's grave

Kudos dude

Nirvana tour and shiznik is definitely on my list !
    dino26
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:04 pm
  • Scottish_Hawk wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:Yea, they got rid of the free zone awhile back.

Jimi Hendrix's grave

Kudos dude

Park here: 47.6201,-122.280591 (plug that into google maps) Denny Blaine Park, then walk up the hill to Viretta Park to see Kurt's old house and the memorial bench. It's a cool thing to see, but I'm a huge Nirvana fan.

As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:49 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Scottish_Hawk wrote:

Jimi Hendrix's grave

Kudos dude

Park here: 47.6201,-122.280591 (plug that into google maps) Denny Blaine Park, then walk up the hill to Viretta Park to see Kurt's old house and the memorial bench. It's a cool thing to see, but I'm a huge Nirvana fan.

That would be a cool to check out. Errie how you see the balcony just peaking out from the trees.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Scottish_Hawk wrote:

Jimi Hendrix's grave

Kudos dude

That is most definitely on my list ...dude I was on here before I made this scottish_hawk account I remember talking about Nirvana with you many years ago haha
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Scottish_Hawk wrote:

Jimi Hendrix's grave

Kudos dude

That would be a cool to check out. Errie how you see the balcony just peaking out from the trees.

I was thinking the same ...I will probably see a shadow or something be such a trip !
    Image GO HAWKS !

dino26
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 am
  • Try Icelandair dude! Goes straight from Glasgow to Seattle via Iceland. Generally the cheapest if you book it a bit in advance. EMP, Underground tour, aquarium and flight museum are pretty good. I'd avoid the Space needle- overpriced and not that great a view. The Columbia tower is far cheaper and now has a 360 view. Lots of good restaurants and beer too.

Depending on the time of year you go, go to a 'hawks game definitely but if it is not football season try a Sounders game- the Clink is some stadium. Safeco is a really cool stadium to visit but the product in the field isn't the best.

Depending on how long you are here, you should maybe check out Portland or Vancouver as well- you can get Boltbus to Portland for about $10, sometimes cheaper.

Seattle reminds me a lot of Scotland, scenery wise but the people couldn't be any more different.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 am
  • Score off Bellevue, Redmond, Lynwood and Bothell. They are just the suburbs mostly. U district and Capitol Hill are cool. Any time i've had family or friends visit they generally hang out in Capitol Hill (when not downtown).
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:51 am
  • Also, it's a myth that it rains a lot in Seattle...it barely does compared to Scotland. Grey skies outside of winter, yes but no really rainy. If you come during the summer, Seattle is a spectacular place, the beaches and parks are definitely worth seeing during the summer.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Also, it's a myth that it rains a lot in Seattle...it barely does compared to Scotland.

Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:52 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

If you measure climate/weather in Seattle based on number of hours each year where something wet is falling, no matter how lightly, Seattle can compete with approximately any spot on Earth. Our inches of rain per year number is very misleading in terms of trying to figure out what it's really like in the winter around here. From October through May, 6 out of every 7 days in Seattle are overcast and have some sort of precipitation. Our summers are absolutely beautiful, but summer/winter are wildly different as far as sunshine goes, or how "nice" it is outside.

On the other hand, if you're only talking about how many raw inches of rain we get compared to Scotland, you're completely right. :)

The wife and I were up in Seattle a few years back and the so called rain was really weird to us coming from Colorado. One block it would be raining pretty good and on the next block a light mist but go over a few blocks and there would be sunshine. But you're right, there was always some sort of mist/drizzle falling. Loved it.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:07 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

The wife and I were up in Seattle a few years back and the so called rain was really weird to us coming from Colorado. One block it would be raining pretty good and on the next block a light mist but go over a few blocks and there would be sunshine. But you're right, there was always some sort of mist/drizzle falling. Loved it.

That's why Seattleites dress in layers at all times. T-shirt, flannel, sweatshirt, rain shell with a hood, etc. I'm ready for a monsoon at any second, or the sun! :lol:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Also, it's a myth that it rains a lot in Seattle...it barely does compared to Scotland.

Not exactly true. It's deceptive. It almost never rains here, it sprinkles. Almost every day for 8 months straight you can walk outside in the morning to go to your car to drive to work and something wet is falling from the sky, it's just very light rain that is coming down like all the time.

I did say compared to Scotland to be fair. It pretty much does rain all the time there along with the grey skies. I do agree with you but you don't really notice the rain most of the time in Seattle due to how light it is, definitely not enough for the city to have a reputation as always raining.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:34 am
  • Woah, never knew that the Jimi Hendrix memorial was in Renton, might have to go visit that sometime.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:definitely not enough for the city to have a reputation as always raining.

Yeah, a far more accurate depiction would be "always overcast and wet". The ground doesn't get dry for half a year, but you virtually never get soaked being outside.

Blame Hollywood. They portray Seattle as practically being underwater. :)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information