Apple Maps directed vehicle to cross airport runway

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13

• To be honest, why the hell doesn't Alaska have those gated off and protected to these genius people get onto the runway? And wouldn't common sense tell you "hey that's a runway". Alaskans suck!

They are officially the dumbest state in the union, just based off this story alone, we should sell em to Russia.
    Last edited by Throwdown on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Apple....getting you to your flight on time.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Throwdown wrote:To be honest, why the hell doesn't Alaska have those gated off and protected to these genius people get onto the runway? And wouldn't common sense tell you "hey that's a runway". Alaskans suck!

They are officially the dumbest state in the union, just based off this story alone, we should sell em to Russia.

They weren't Alaskans, they were tourists. Alaskans wouldn't need an Iphone to navigate Fairbanks :lol:

If tourists spent as much time reading the mile or so of street signs warning them they weren't supposed to be there, as they do their IPhone these things wouldn't happen.....but they do bring in some nice KaChing, so we gotta keep up the facade of loving tourists
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• This is one of my all-time favorite xkcd comics.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• As stated already, I find the more worrying thing is people's increased dependence and utter faith in technology.

We hired a car with a GPS for our stay in Seattle recently. Typed in directions to Mt. Rainier. It gave us directions to Mount Rainier, Maryland. 2,307 miles away.

Luckily my school days geography skills raised a minor alarm.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• Fairbanks is one of the simplest airports to find and navigate especially if you read the signs, the parking lot is directly across the street from the terminal, it takes 3 minutes to find your rental car unless they are buried in snow, then you just push the remote and see which one lights up :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• saw this on my facebook feed as a bash on iphones but really, its a bash on the ignorance of people. they had these problems with standalone GPS units, not just iphones.
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

• The airport in Anchorage has a couple nearby streets which intersect a small aircraft runway. As I recall, they just use a blinking yellow light to caution drivers of possible aircraft crossing.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• SmokinHawk wrote:The airport in Anchorage has a couple nearby streets which intersect a small aircraft runway. As I recall, they just use a blinking yellow light to caution drivers of possible aircraft crossing.

Yes, that is a taxiway crossing the road though, where in Fairbanks, the app was actually diverting people off the road and into a restricted area with tons of signage that people should have been reading and not going past, but there are some very poor drivers out there who make some really poor choices. I don't blame Apple as much as I do the drivers. Apple obviously should fix the situation since they've been notified by the state of the issue, but people really need to be aware of their surroundings when driving. What your eyes see is more important than what any gps or phone app can tell you.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• And here I thought GPS was so I could drive to my destinations while watching The Sopranos. Damnit!
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:And here I thought GPS was so I could drive to my destinations while watching The Sopranos. Damnit!

Go for it. You might just end up sleeping with the fishes :lol:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• kidhawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:And here I thought GPS was so I could drive to my destinations while watching The Sopranos. Damnit!

Go for it. You might just end up sleeping with the fishes :lol:

In all seriousness, I hope the government starts requiring self-driving cars in the future once they're widely available. No traffic anywhere would be sweet.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information