Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Re: Hot sauce ??
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:29 pm 
* NET E-Knight *

Desensitization =/= Burning out your taste buds. What else do you have?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:30 pm 
*Net Enemy Forum Guy*

I actually enjoy the pain... I really do. I don't know why, I just do. And no, I'm not into things with my wife that require a "Safety Word". I'm talking strictly mouth-pain. When eating bbq pork at the Chinese restaurant, I like to put so much of that hot mustard on that my eyes water and I wince as my sinuses clear out. Then I do it again. And again. Same with horseradish. Same with peppers and hot sauces. Have I ruined something by making it too hot? Yup. I've over-done the cayenne pepper and/or death sauce (usually when drunk) in a pan of chili and wound up throwing it away, so I do have my limits. Thing is, with sauces that hot a little goes a long way. I don't just blop it all over, I do just the "right" amount to suit my tolerance. And also, there is the endorphin thing. Gives you little body rushes, which are neato! :D I would never, ever take down a tablespoon of those super-hot sauces like in those videos. That's just crazy right there!

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:14 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

That's perfectly fine, Blue. I'm just guffawing at HawksFTW saying billions of people like all their food that hot because his family has cooked with million-Scoville peppers for thousands of years. Many of which didn't even exist a hundred years ago because they're man-made blends created to be that hot. Not to mention, it looks like hot peppers weren't even seen in Asia until around the 17th century: http://zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/korean ... new-world/

The trade routes established through Christopher Columbus & company with Central America are what brought hot peppers to Europe, and from there to Asia over the course of the following century and more of time, if you care to do some research.

Even though, you know, HawksFTW's Asian family has been cooking with 'em for thousands of years. Somebody call the historians, they've got their facts wrong.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Despite this silly argument I can say with a good bit of certainty that spicy food doesn't harm or ruin taste buds.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:49 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Zebulon Dak wrote:
Despite this silly argument I can say with a good bit of certainty that spicy food doesn't harm or ruin taste buds.

You don't have to have a good bit of certainty; you can be 100% certain. http://www.livescience.com/34213-spicy- ... -myth.html

Good Lord, look at that, I did some research and found out the truth. Repeated/prolonged exposure does desensitize you over time to capsaicin, which is what creates the burning, though; but there's no harm in it, except that you'll need to slowly make your food hotter over time to maintain the same level of hotness you prefer.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:59 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Yeah. I've read that article and others like it before. But thanks for doing that "research" aka reading the first article that comes up when you search "does spicy food ruin your taste buds". ;)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:03 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I read 5 or 6 articles, including part of a Hungarian medical university research paper. That's just the one I linked. I never read just one source when checking into anything.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 pm 
* NET E-Knight *

RolandDeschain wrote:
That's perfectly fine, Blue. I'm just guffawing at HawksFTW saying billions of people like all their food that hot because his family has cooked with million-Scoville peppers for thousands of years. Many of which didn't even exist a hundred years ago because they're man-made blends created to be that hot. Not to mention, it looks like hot peppers weren't even seen in Asia until around the 17th century: http://zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/korean ... new-world/

The trade routes established through Christopher Columbus & company with Central America are what brought hot peppers to Europe, and from there to Asia over the course of the following century and more of time, if you care to do some research.

Even though, you know, HawksFTW's Asian family has been cooking with 'em for thousands of years. Somebody call the historians, they've got their facts wrong.

Never said MY family has enjoyed them for thousands of years, I just said the sauces were based off of thousands of years of people using peppers in food . Believe me, I am an avid pepper eater, I know the history. Yes many of the hotter peppers are newer, but I never said different. So basically, you just did enough research to own yourself. Spicy/hot food doesn't ruin your taste buds, I am glad you can finally come around to the right answer.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 pm 
NET Veteran

I like sriracha

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

m0ng0 wrote:
I like sriracha

Ahh, but would you like a foot long with creamy cock sauce? Only five dollars...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 am 
* NET Starfish *

SacHawk2.0 wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:
I like sriracha

Ahh, but would you like a foot long with creamy cock sauce? Only five dollars...

How did you make the leap from sriracha to that?

I don't even....

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:46 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

peachesenregalia wrote:
SacHawk2.0 wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:
I like sriracha

How did you make the leap from sriracha to that?

I don't even....

You're seriously asking how Sac went from joking about sriracha to dreaming about man meat in his mouth?

It's Sac we're talking about, here. Come on, Peaches.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:01 am 
*Host of .NET Awards*

You mean because subway has a new sauce that is literally called "creamy sriracha sauce" and the common nickname for sriracha is "cock sauce" because of the rooster on the bottle and because you can get a footlong for $5?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 am 
* NET Starfish *

SacHawk2.0 wrote:
You mean because subway has a new sauce that is literally called "creamy sriracha sauce" and the common nickname for sriracha is "cock sauce" because of the rooster on the bottle and because you can get a footlong for $5?

I...yeah. Okay. I see it now.

thank you.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:40 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

You're stretching. Try yoga.

Who the hell goes to Subway willingly, anyways? #JimmyJohn's4Life

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
*Net Enemy Forum Guy*

SacHawk2.0 wrote:

Is Creamy Sriracha sauce similar to Cream of Sumyungman?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

"The Man" at Dixie's BBQ is without a doubt the hottest I have tried. It was the hot sauce equivalent to a mugging. I'm sure something hotter exists but part of me just wonders "why?" when it comes to stuff like that.

Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:13 pm 
* Fat Stoner Nerd *

Did they used to have Dixie BBQ at UW when the Hawks were playing there? I think I remember something called "The man" sauce that they would dip a toothpick into, so you can have a taste before you put it on. That stuff was pretty good.

I eat spicy food especially when I am sick, because it makes me feel better. The worse the cold, the spicier the food.

RolandDeschain - noted Dorito eater wrote:
If you want to come prove your smack talking capabilities in person, stop by Gold's Gym in Kirkland any night around 5-6pm and say hi.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:03 pm 
*Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Dtowers wrote:
I eat spicy food especially when I am sick, because it makes me feel better. The worse the cold, the spicier the food.

That's interesting... Seems like it would clear out the snot though, especially something like horseradish that seems to open up the sinuses. Would kinda be like Draino for your head. :lol: Might have to try that next time I catch a cold... Which I hope is NEVER! :evil:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

BlueThunder wrote:
Dtowers wrote:

That's interesting... Seems like it would clear out the snot though, especially something like horseradish that seems to open up the sinuses. Would kinda be like Draino for your head. :lol: Might have to try that next time I catch a cold... Which I hope is NEVER! :evil:

Yep, I do it too. Big bowl of pho as spicy as I can get it and I can almost forget about the cold for at least an hour or 2.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 pm 
* Fat Stoner Nerd *

Zebulon Dak wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:
Dtowers wrote:

Yep, I do it too. Big bowl of pho as spicy as I can get it and I can almost forget about the cold for at least an hour or 2.

EXACTLY! Pho is my go to, but I also like Thai as well.

RolandDeschain - noted Dorito eater wrote:
If you want to come prove your smack talking capabilities in person, stop by Gold's Gym in Kirkland any night around 5-6pm and say hi.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Dtowers is spot-on about the sick thing. I make a drink with tomato juice, celery salt, a bunch of Tabasco, and some other stuff I can't remember that I have written down somewhere that just opens my sinuses right the frig up when I drink it.

It makes you feel a lot better mainly from a mental perspective, because you're nowhere near as clogged up, and clogged sinuses are annoying as hell.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:25 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Even Top Ramen will do in a pinch. I make it with extra broth and throw about a half a bottle of Franks in there and I'm good. Couple teaspoons of cayenne too if it's handy.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:44 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Dave's insanity has a ghost chili sauce with added capsaicin oil. I think it tastes awful, but it is painful.

My favorite? The green Yucateca Habenero sauce. It isn't evil hot, but it has a citrusy flavor I just love.

Years back I had food at a great thai place. When asked how hot I wanted my food, I answered with a smart ass "how hot can you make it?"
One of only two times I have not been able to finish a dish.

Years later, I did the same at a great Indian food place. Only time in my life hot food has left me so light headed I could not drive. The cook came out as I finished my meal and told me I was an idiot. I disagreed, people pay good money to get that euphoric.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:35 pm 
*Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Scottemojo wrote:
Dave's insanity has a ghost chili sauce with added capsaicin oil. I think it tastes awful, but it is painful.

I draw the line at a hot sauce that is hotter than hell but adds nothing to the flavor. I bought a half-pint bottle of stuff called "100% PAIN". It was chucked into the garbage after trying it out on 3 or 4 things. It was hot as hell, but with no good flavor imparted into the food. It sucked! Garbage! Never buy it! Now, if you want a magma-hot sauce that adds a wonderful flavor, I can't recommend anything better than Blair's Mega-Death sauce. Just use it very sparingly, and if you like spicy, you'll love the flavor of this stuff. I personally guarantee it. In fact, if you shell out the 10 bucks for a 5 oz bottle of this stuff, and if you don't like it, you will receive 1 (one) hearty "I'm so sorry" from me, personally. That's just the kind of guy I am...

If you wanna jump in and try it, go here: http://extremefood.com/Mega-Deat-Sauce/ Plus you get a cool skull keychain that's wrapped around the cap!

If one of you does actually order it, I wanna hear your review! Please post after you try it. Just remember to go easy and don't try to be a man and swallow a teaspoon of it or something stupid like that.

And for gods sake, it shouldn't even need to be said, but you younger guys (looking back I could see my old dumb ass doing this)... Don't think it's some joke to spike one of your soon-to-be-former friends foods with this stuff. It's not funny. This stuff is not tabasco sauce. It is several hundred times hotter, and if you got beat up over it, you'd deserve it. Take a teaspoon yourself and you'll know what I mean... Ok, dad's done lecturing you...

And here's their home page: http://extremefood.com/explore/mid/home/

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Scottemojo wrote:
Dave's insanity has a ghost chili sauce with added capsaicin oil. I think it tastes awful, but it is painful..

That's the one I was thinking of.

I'm a pussy so I like Cholula anything. Their chipotle on scrabled eggs with shredded cheese and linguica is awesome. The lime on fish tacos. The original on anything. Mmmmm.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am 
* NET Philistine *

Confession time: I love hot sauce but I think habaneros taste like burnt fruit rollups.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:01 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

Susies Calypso Sauce from Antigua: Great flavor (not overly vinagary) and just the right amount of heat (hot but wont give you ring of fire the next day). Hard to get but well worth it!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:03 pm 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
Using hot sauces to that kind of scale seems akin to trying to figure out how many rusty needles you can jam in your junk. What's the point? Lol. Use something a lot milder and use it like ketchup or regular BBQ sauce...

Some of you guys are nuts. :)

This is what I was thinking...do people actually get any value out of this ridiculously hot sauce other than bragging rights? I suppose if you're making a stew or something you can just pour a couple drops in and call it good since it will get spread around...but otherwise I don't see the point. Somebody help me :)

And believe me, I love hot stuff...jalapeno-eating champ at the pizza place I worked for several years ago!

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]