Comcast/Xfinity - how terrible are they?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Comcast/Xfinity - how terrible are they?
Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:30 pm
  • I've been with Qwest/CenturyLink and their slow speeds are killing me. I can't get FiOS or Wave Broadband (Dreaming for Gigabit Seattle to extend to my area).

Knowing that they overcharge after their initial period and now require contracts... How terrible are they? I know they have a data cap of 250gb per month and say they won't charge and all that... I know that anyone who has had a problem with them have really hated them. Their customer service is a joke... But they are offering $39.99 (plus $7 for their modem) for 25mb down/ 3mb up for the 1st year... Do I bite? This includes their phone service which I do need.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• We have had Comcast/Xfinity for several years and have no problems. We bought our own modem so we don't have to pay the modem fee. We have a bridge router so we can stream Netflix etc to our tv. We pay 74.95 per month but between the computer, cell phone and Netflix etc we use it almost constantly. We aren't capped at all but it might be because we have had them for years. We have internet only, no tv or phone.
    dbmack
    NET Starter

• We've had Comcast/Infinity for several years. We switched to Dish for TV 2 years ago and are not sorry because with them and a Hopper we have HD on all channels.

But our computer and phone have been very trouble free for all the years we've had them.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I've had comcast for four years now, customer service is horribly inconsistent but improving, internet speed and cable has improved over the years.

I pay 150 for HDTV with the sports packages and high speed internet, they've been desperate to get people to sign up for the landline phone and offered big discounts for people to bundle it with their phone, thereby showing their margin and kind of making them look like dicks. But, took the modem for the phone line, i'll activate it and never plug it in, supposed to knock my bill down by 30 a month, i'll take it.

I had DirectTv but I live kind of tucked into the woods and couldn't get a signal. Didn't have great experiences with them but they were alright.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• I had Comast/Xfinity internet and cable for 7 years before I moved last year.

Their customer service is so-so, I had too many calls answered by people whose first language wasn't english. Most of them weren't technical issues, most of them were to order sports packages.

The internet was awesome - never had one problem with it, and it was really fast. Cable was decent, too.

Only drawback was that it was kinda expensive, but then again you get what you pay for.

I'm currently with Charter (Comcast wasn't an option where I moved to), and their internet is pretty comparable to Comcast. Great customer service.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Starter

• it destroys centurylink.... worth the coin
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

• Comcast sucks donkey testicles backwards. Everything about it blows.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I have their internet only, 100Mbps/20Mbps connection, and it's rock solid. I go over the cap every month, but they never say anything about it.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Comcast service sucks but their data quality is pretty much golden. I have business class data, $20 more a month, call center is in the USA.
    For the one in-house outage we had, I called Saturday PM late, there was a dude at the door Sunday before noon. Pretty awesome.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• Comcast = No credit check, no contract, can go two months past due before they disconnect you and excellent coverage and data speeds.

A little on the over priced side but not too bad.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Anyone who thinks Comcast/Xfinity sucks needs to spend just one month on Charter's abysmal service in order to fully appreciate the service they presently have.

Charter's service is the crappiest in the history of crap. In a given 30 day service window, I have maybe 20 days of good quality service, 7 days of service so slow it's barely worth using, and three days with no service at all, or service so crippled it's unusable. There is no hope in sight for them.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:Comcast = No credit check, no contract, can go two months past due before they disconnect you and excellent coverage and data speeds.

A little on the over priced side but not too bad.

Yeah, I don't really have much trouble with Comcast/Xfinity. I like that I can now change my plan online without having to worry about talking to some salesperson or threatening to leave Comcast if they don't give me a better rate. I mean, it is sad that they're basically an oligarchy with the satellite providers (their rates are strangely similar, no/) and we don't have any real choice about what to choose so prices won't go down and we have to accept crappy service, but Comcast is not as crappy as they could be, I guess.

I am depressed now.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Got them setup today. Nice to see that I can run multiple streams at once without it bogging down the other one.

So far speeds are consistent and I've run a couple of stress tests I figure to encounter.

Also, they said there's an error where I'm getting my price for 2 years instead of the one year that's advertised. We'll see it that's true.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Having intermittent connection issues... Not sure if its my router or the internet.

Maybe it's time yo buy a new router... Any suggestions?

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• sammyc521 wrote:Having intermittent connection issues... Not sure if its my router or the internet.

My son is a network guy. Is was having the same issues as you were. He checked it out and said my router was fine and all the error codes were on the network.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Happypuppy wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:Having intermittent connection issues... Not sure if its my router or the internet.

My son is a network guy. Is was having the same issues as you were. He checked it out and said my router was fine and all the error codes were on the network.

Sammy, I just recently got a letter telling me their cable modem that I pay rent for is now substandard and needs to be upgraded to work with their "new" network. Send it to me free if I file for it online, they will send a kit I install myself which is ok with me. I've been having fits and starts with the system sometimes shutting things off. I know this is happening because I will have to re-sign into this forum.

So I ordered it. Must be really important because they say 4-6 weeks. lol
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Quick-fix so far is just doing a factory reset on my wifi router. Seems to be working so far.

It better not be my modem... i just got this sucker yesterday.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• The problem is that AMERICA'S internet infrastructure sucks, and Comcast is a member of the group running our incredibly piss poor network. TelCo's had no reason to even try until a couple of years ago, and Google's attempts to buy the old TV spectrum for nationwide wi-fi got screwed up (like it or not, it would have at least improved the chances of fixing things nationwide, especially in rural areas).

Comcast is a behemoth. They don't know what one thumb is doing on the same hand, let alone what their other arm is doing. I've had Comcast for 12 years. I've been able to get promos for 11 and a half of those. Six months they just wouldn't do it. Now I'm under a promo for $39 a month for internet. It's good service. The service is about as good as you're going to get if you don't live in a Google fiber town or something comparable. But it's the billing that is a mess. Flat rate it at $29 a month and everybody would sign up. Instead they try to nickel and dime you to death and the rates jump one month and they hope you don't notice. My mom's bill climbed from $60, to $90 to $139 since December. I've fought with them numerous times about her bill and get promised credits and then she melts down. I tell her to cancel it, and she panics. It's really silly stuff. But they seem to enjoy just trying to scam people.

If you don't mind dedicating a weekend a month to dealing with your bill after your initial promo and fighting for a rate decrease and threatening to leave (and even leaving for periods of time) then enjoy. It's a good service with terrible service if that makes sense. I bought my modem off of Amazon for like $49, so no monthly rental. The installer just activated it in my new home by typing the MAC address into his little device he had hooked up to my cable while getting it going. Just make sure it is compatible with Comcast. They will get it going and off they go... to scam another.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• The Radish wrote:
    Happypuppy wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:Having intermittent connection issues... Not sure if its my router or the internet.

Sammy, I just recently got a letter telling me their cable modem that I pay rent for is now substandard and needs to be upgraded to work with their "new" network. Send it to me free if I file for it online, they will send a kit I install myself which is ok with me. I've been having fits and starts with the system sometimes shutting things off. I know this is happening because I will have to re-sign into this forum.

So I ordered it. Must be really important because they say 4-6 weeks. lol

Les, we got that same thing. It didn't take that long to get. But I actually got it hours before I was to catch a plane to Ak where I work. I'll tell ya what, it didn't look easy at all to set up. And guess what? It took 3 visits from 3 different techs to get it done. My wife was ready to pull her hair out. Maybe we got some flunkies on the first 2 visits but the 3rd got it right I guess. The speed was suppose to be faster but I haven't noticed it.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• Comcast has had fairly decent quality service in the northwest. I've got two friends in two different states that have horrible problems regularly with Comcast cable, though. FIOS smokes all if you can get it, other than the obvious gigabit providers. DSL sucks for most people, though; largely depends on how far you are from your telephone company central office. Past 10-12k feet of wiring, and DSL degrades RAPIDLY in quality and potential speed.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I used to have xfinity/comcast forever. Then i moved here and was stuck with MediaCom. The worst service ever. Its improved dramatically in the last year, but its best days are comcast's worst days.

Yes its expensive. But thats the price of no contracts and strong data service. I never had a problem with their customer support. Im sure some people have though.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information