The Worlds End

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
The Worlds End
Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 am

Re: The Worlds End
Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 am
  • Saw it last weekend. I absolutely love Shaun and Hot Fuzz, and I think Worlds End is the 3rd best. But, I want to see it again. There was A LOT to pay attention to. It wasn't as consistent as the others but definitely had some great laughs. Really snappy dialogue with a lot of "funny but not laughing out loud" moments that you'll still appreciate.

A good, funny movie, but I had very high expectations and kind of over-sold myself since I've been waiting for it for several years. When it moves to the cheap theater, I'll go see it again because I know I missed some stuff.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am
  • Going to see it tonight. Very much looking forward to it.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:39 am
  • This is one I've had my eye on. I'll be very interested to hear what you guy have to say about it. Love the work that they've done previously, and this one does look good, so I'm optimistic. And those "funny but not laughing out loud" parts can be some of the best parts of a movie. Love that sort of thing, the wry, understated humor.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:58 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Going to see it tonight. Very much looking forward to it.

Heathen. Shouldnt you be watching something else tonight...

On topic, Im excited to see this movie when it finally arrives to rent. Hard to catch movies in a theatre anymore with a 15 month old.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Going to see it tonight. Very much looking forward to it.

Heathen. Shouldnt you be watching something else tonight...

On topic, Im excited to see this movie when it finally arrives to rent. Hard to catch movies in a theatre anymore with a 15 month old.

Yeah, well, when it comes to drinking beer (Cinetopia has a 21+ theater that is AWESOME) with my wife and friends and not being at home with my 1 year old or watching scrubs play (when I can catch the game again on NFLN), my priorities are massively out of whack.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 pm
  • It was really good, though more subtle and nuanced than SOTD or HF. It's the first movie I've given an A in a long time.
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm
  • Do I need to re-watch SOTD or Hot Fuzz before I see this? It's been a few years since I've seen them.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:41 pm
  • TriCHawk wrote:Do I need to re-watch SOTD or Hot Fuzz before I see this? It's been a few years since I've seen them.

They are not related, none of them. Just similar humor because of the actors/writers/director.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:Do I need to re-watch SOTD or Hot Fuzz before I see this? It's been a few years since I've seen them.

They are not related, none of them. Just similar humor because of the actors/writers/director.

Not necessarily true. Edgar Wright calls it the Cornetto Trilogy. So there are themes and concepts in common as well as directorial decisions. That's not to say you have to 'catch up' because it's self contained movie but there are some deeper elements.

On that note, I absolutely loved The World's End. Some of the best action scenes I've seen in a long time, and the whole theater was enjoying the jokes. (The number of beer pitchers probably helped, and I would daresay this is a movie that you should spend a few extra bucks on if you can see it in a theater that serves alcohol.) There are so many things I want to say about the film, but most of them are spoilers. However, my favorite thing is that the finale felt like the punchline to one long setup, and the attention to detail with regards to foreshadowing and clues. It's an absolute shame that this kind of thing gets overshadowed by your typical blockbuster crap.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information