Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: The Worlds End
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

Thinking about checking this out, looks funny.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_worlds_end/

Post subject: Re: The Worlds End
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

Saw it last weekend. I absolutely love Shaun and Hot Fuzz, and I think Worlds End is the 3rd best. But, I want to see it again. There was A LOT to pay attention to. It wasn't as consistent as the others but definitely had some great laughs. Really snappy dialogue with a lot of "funny but not laughing out loud" moments that you'll still appreciate.

A good, funny movie, but I had very high expectations and kind of over-sold myself since I've been waiting for it for several years. When it moves to the cheap theater, I'll go see it again because I know I missed some stuff.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am 
* NET Philistine *

Going to see it tonight. Very much looking forward to it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:39 am 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

This is one I've had my eye on. I'll be very interested to hear what you guy have to say about it. Love the work that they've done previously, and this one does look good, so I'm optimistic. And those "funny but not laughing out loud" parts can be some of the best parts of a movie. Love that sort of thing, the wry, understated humor.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:58 am 
NET Veteran

Sarlacc83 wrote:

Heathen. Shouldnt you be watching something else tonight...

On topic, Im excited to see this movie when it finally arrives to rent. Hard to catch movies in a theatre anymore with a 15 month old.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm 
* NET Philistine *

Cartire wrote:
Sarlacc83 wrote:

Heathen. Shouldnt you be watching something else tonight...

On topic, Im excited to see this movie when it finally arrives to rent. Hard to catch movies in a theatre anymore with a 15 month old.

Yeah, well, when it comes to drinking beer (Cinetopia has a 21+ theater that is AWESOME) with my wife and friends and not being at home with my 1 year old or watching scrubs play (when I can catch the game again on NFLN), my priorities are massively out of whack.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

It was really good, though more subtle and nuanced than SOTD or HF. It's the first movie I've given an A in a long time.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm 
NET Veteran

Do I need to re-watch SOTD or Hot Fuzz before I see this? It's been a few years since I've seen them.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:41 pm 
NET Veteran

TriCHawk wrote:
Do I need to re-watch SOTD or Hot Fuzz before I see this? It's been a few years since I've seen them.

They are not related, none of them. Just similar humor because of the actors/writers/director.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 am 
* NET Philistine *

Cartire wrote:
TriCHawk wrote:

They are not related, none of them. Just similar humor because of the actors/writers/director.

Not necessarily true. Edgar Wright calls it the Cornetto Trilogy. So there are themes and concepts in common as well as directorial decisions. That's not to say you have to 'catch up' because it's self contained movie but there are some deeper elements.

On that note, I absolutely loved The World's End. Some of the best action scenes I've seen in a long time, and the whole theater was enjoying the jokes. (The number of beer pitchers probably helped, and I would daresay this is a movie that you should spend a few extra bucks on if you can see it in a theater that serves alcohol.) There are so many things I want to say about the film, but most of them are spoilers. However, my favorite thing is that the finale felt like the punchline to one long setup, and the attention to detail with regards to foreshadowing and clues. It's an absolute shame that this kind of thing gets overshadowed by your typical blockbuster crap.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]