Who is your favorite ELECTRIC guitarist of all time?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Neal Schon
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Skwisgaar Skwigelf
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• David Gilmour

Brian May

Junior Brown
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:Jerry cantrell

Truth. Nobody can pull of that drudging, forboding, go to hell sound like Cantrell, then he switches it up with some awesome acoustic stuff.

The Mars Volta dude is pretty legit. Their music as a whole has kind of gone off the deep end of listenability to me. I respect the out there experimentation, but that doesn't mean I have to like listening to it.

Eric Clapton, well, he's just awesome.

I used to listen to SRV in college while drunk on whiskey and playing Madden. So, he has a soft spot in my heart.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• seahawk2k wrote:
    Axx wrote:Jerry cantrell

Truth. Nobody can pull of that drudging, forboding, go to hell sound like Cantrell, then he switches it up with some awesome acoustic stuff.....

Tony Iommi can and does and has for 45 years. He basically invented the "drudging, forboding, go to hell sound". Black Sabbath guitarist in case you don't know who Iommi is. And if you aren't aware of what he can do acoustically, find the song "Laguna Sunrise" on youtube (from the Sabbath album Vol. 4).
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Really? We are on a favorite guitarist thread and you act like I don't know Iommi because I extoll the guitar sound of Cantrell? I am utterly positive Cantrell would list Iommi as a main influence. My description does fit Iommi as well. I'd venture to say he has a bit more pep than Cantrell though. Give Cantrell's Degradation Trip album a listen sometime.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Favorite: Kurt Cobain

technician: John Frusciante

honorable mention: Bradley Nowell
    mikehawks
    NET Rookie

• seahawk2k wrote:Really? We are on a favorite guitarist thread and you act like I don't know Iommi because I extoll the guitar sound of Cantrell? I am utterly positive Cantrell would list Iommi as a main influence. My description does fit Iommi as well. I'd venture to say he has a bit more pep than Cantrell though. Give Cantrell's Degradation Trip album a listen sometime.

I responded the way I did because when you said "Nobody can pull of that drudging, forboding, go to hell sound like Cantrell" I thought perhapos you didn't know Iommi because I have no idea your age. Thought I would point out where Jerry VERY likely got that approach which you acknowledged and agreed with in the post I'm quoting here.

Oh, and Btw I have Degradation Trip (very good album) and saw that tour at Bumbershoot in what, '02 or was it '03?. First time he had William as his singer I believe. Figured right then and there he'd reform AIC with William in place of Layne. And I think William does a pretty damned good job considering the circumstances.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• EDWARD.
    Green13
    NET Practice Squad

• seahawk2k wrote:
    Axx wrote:Jerry cantrell

Truth. Nobody can pull of that drudging, forboding, go to hell sound like Cantrell, then he switches it up with some awesome acoustic stuff.

The Mars Volta dude is pretty legit. Their music as a whole has kind of gone off the deep end of listenability to me. I respect the out there experimentation, but that doesn't mean I have to like listening to it.

Eric Clapton, well, he's just awesome.

I used to listen to SRV in college while drunk on whiskey and playing Madden. So, he has a soft spot in my heart.

Check out Omar Rodriguez Lopez's (the lead guitarist) solo stuff if you want TMV minus the spastic caterwauling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14gtauBh9FQ
    TwoDayBooze
    NET Bench Warmer

• "spastic caterwauling" might be the greatest description I've ever heard. My compliments.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:Most will find this boring, but to me its pure class

I don't think Ritchie has ever bored me. Nice! :th2thumbs:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Guthrie Govan rules the universe these days.
    TDBinOLY
    NET Bench Warmer

• David Gilmour
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

• TDBinOLY wrote:Guthrie GODvan rules the universe these days.

FTFY
    TwoDayBooze
    NET Bench Warmer

Previous

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information