Guitarists that shred, but didn't / don't get much notariety

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • I'm gonna say George Lynch.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• So weird to see George Lynch look like an investment broker. Especially after looking at how frizzed/teased out his hair was back then!

My vote is for Jake E. Lee--people forgot who he was after he left Ozzy, but he had some great albums when he was with Badlands.

You could say Michael Angelo from Nitro as well. He had chops, but that band's music was so pathetic that at times he sounded more like a computer's random tone generator than a guitarist (I think I stole that line from a Rip Magazine review of their 2nd album in fact!).

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Paul Leary, Greg Ginn and Larry LaLonde are three guys that were overshadowed by their bandmates or the bands themselves.

Chris Poland and Ed Wynne are a couple of others that are amazing players!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Craig Chaquico, Jefferson Starship late 80s.....

Gary Richrath, REO (before Cronin bubble gummed the band completely)
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Trenchbroom wrote:So weird to see George Lynch look like an investment broker. Especially after looking at how frizzed/teased out his hair was back then!

My vote is for Jake E. Lee--people forgot who he was after he left Ozzy, but he had some great albums when he was with Badlands.

You could say Michael Angelo from Nitro as well. He had chops, but that band's music was so pathetic that at times he sounded more like a computer's random tone generator than a guitarist (I think I stole that line from a Rip Magazine review of their 2nd album in fact!).

Come on. Nitro was, uh, yeah...

Anguish
    * NET Developer *

• Shawn Lane, RIP. Ever see anyone faster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Skk9Q0Qd_k

Guys like Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson, Eddie VH, and Vernon Reid would come to see him play.
    Lieutenant Dan
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Matthias Jabs.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Matthias Jabs.

:th2thumbs:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• In terms of a guy who's contributions far exceeded his public profile I'd have to go with Mick Ronson. That man made David Bowie a lot of money. He also Helped John Mellencamp make a lot of money too (jack and diane). He was the master of the catchy hook.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

• Mick Ronson was a great guitarist.

Reminds me that both Robin Trower and Peter Frampton were also seriously overlooked by my (younger) generation when metal was at it's zenith in the 80s.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• How about Mick Taylor. When he joined the Stones, they totally transformed and penned a grip of great songs.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:How about Mick Taylor. When he joined the Stones, they totally transformed and penned a grip of great songs.

Yea the 'stones were really good at tapping talent like that. They picked Graham Parsons brains and got a few hit songs out of the deal, all he got was a chance to live in the band house and do junk with Keith. Pretty good bargain for the band, not so much for graham.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

• Mike Keneally.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Ronnie LeTekro from my favorite all-time 80's metal band, TNT.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Steve Clark?

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

• I found a clip of Paul Leary, dude its about as anti guitar as it gets, but he plays some of the oddest, quirkiest, uncomfortable sounding leads I have ever heard but damn if they dont work, you can tell in parts dude can shred.

m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I've seen a lot of the names I was going to mention, except for Vito Bratta and Paul Gilbert. Paul got a lot of money on that stupid "To Be With You" Mr. Big song, but he was a guitar god in the making long before that.

Nuno Bettencourt is right up there. For anybody who was into Extreme before "More Than Words" hit, then you know Nuno was the man. He was vastly underrated. His first solo album was all around excellent. He is awesome. I saw him live on one of my first dates with my wife, and he beat the shiz out of a guitar. I thought his hands would catch on fire. Very very excellent player.

But I'm going to throw out two names, and don't laugh... because I'm dead serious. Roy Clark and Wayne Newton. They both were amazing when I saw them at some random family 4th of July show. Roy Clark was seriously fast and an excellent technical player. Wayne Newton blew me away. I didn't even know he played the guitar, and he was flying man. I was like "Danke Schon Wayne... what the hell?"

I also want to add Danny Gatton. He was a master, and his demons took him much too soon.

I'm glad somebody put up that REO Speedwagon dude. I was thinking of him before I even opened this. He was dang good.

There are a few more random guys that nobody has ever heard of that are excellent. Of course everybody knows guys like Yngwie and the like from the "hair days". But they never quite made it with any mainstream success because they were technically good, but just didn't create music people liked. Eric Johnson was a real exception, and he is amazing. Cliffs of Dover is still one of my favorite guitar sounds and songs ever.

And I agree fully on George Lynch. Saw him live in his heyday due to my brothers being big fans of his. One had a George Lynch guitar (it might have been a Charvel, but it looked like a Jackson? Crackly lightning kind of neon finish with black). That was a kickass guitar. I LOVED playing it. Sooooo smooth, and the action was perfect. I have a strat and a les paul, and they are great guitars no doubt, but that Lynch model was my favorite guitar I've ever played. Seeing him live was a real revelation. A super super talented guy and seemed like a genuine musician and not some bozo that was stoned out of his mind and just doing the tongue wiggle at girls lifting up their tops in the crowd. He was very cool and put on a great show. I think there must have been 10,000+ there and he blew the doors off of the place. They were opening for somebody (Lynch Mob). I can't even remember who... maybe Kiss? I saw them though and liked it. The guy who played for Slaughter was surprisingly talented as well. Really a good musician. When the singer went off stage (Mark Slaughter?) the guitar player took over and pointed at everybody and then jumped up and when he landed the whole band had busted in "Back in Black". It was actually awesome, because I thought they were just posers, and they ripped it up on an instrumental version of it. The singer runs back out, and they just keep going with it... so he kind of dances around... and then looks at the guys like he wants them to stop and rip into another tune, and they just kept on going, so he left again. It was quite comical. I don't know if they planned it, or if they were just sick of his whiny singing and decided they were going to play some actual rock and roll that night.

Good memories.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• If you don't know who Mike Keneally is:

Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Rory Gallagher.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• Frank Aresti and Jim Matheos of Fates Warning:

Harbaugh is a lunatic and he'll either die on the sideline while trying to challenge the coin toss, or get into a filthy divorce from the 49ers that will end up with him getting $27 million a year from Michigan to fist fight the entire state of Ohio.

-- Some Random 49er Fan
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

• LymonHawk wrote:Rory Gallagher.

Damned good call. Great guitarist and he gets/got the notariaty he deserves(d) accross the pond but never did over here.

Shark: great call on Roy Clark. Awesome player. Hated country back then but not his playing.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Mark Tremonti of AlterBridge
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:Mark Tremonti of AlterBridge/Creed

Fixed it for you. The added part is what makes that addition surprising and accurate all at the same time. Dude is VERY good.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

• How about Doug Aldrich?

Of Dio and Whitesnake, he absolutely shreds....go to the 39:50 mark just to see his solo, Also the monster Tommy Aldridge on drums. Come to think of it, if you watch the video, Reb Beach is the other player and he ain't no slouch. Go to 34:00 to listen to Judgement Day,,awesome.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I have been around musicians much of my life the best guitarist I have seen that was truly amazing was Prince. I saw him the first time in the late '70s. He is incredible and does not get nearly the credit he deserves. On his first album he played all the instruments and vocals.

http://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Another that fails to get a lot of credit is Leslie West of Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMtKYB_7AAM
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• peachesenregalia wrote:If you don't know who Mike Keneally is:

don't know how you did it, but you just found the evolution of my screen name here. I must have caught him on his next stop or two. That was a Taylor guitar thingie. I saw him at Mojo Music in Bellingham doing the same stuff. I had just purchased my Taylor maybe six months before and was hanging around the store quite a bit when he came to town. I went to check him out with my roommate and halfway through the performance my bro who had been playing for decades, turned to me and said...." F*%K I have no chops."

As for the OP....I have to go hometown and say Degarmo/Wilton. KK/Tipton. Murray/Smith. The ryche's dual attack was mighty and should go down one of the best ever.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• Ryan Newell.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Happypuppy wrote:I have been around musicians much of my life the best guitarist I have seen that was truly amazing was Prince. I saw him the first time in the late '70s. He is incredible and does not get nearly the credit he deserves. On his first album he played all the instruments and vocals.

Great call.

As a guitarist, Prince is not necessarily better than the top tier guys, but below that, he's better than most.

Let alone how good of a bassist, singer, keyboardist, and drummer he is.
    Lieutenant Dan
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• John Mayer
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Oscar Mayer.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• In fact....This vehicle shreads and gets NOTHING in return.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information