Sucky Guitarists that made it big

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Sucky Guitarists that made it big
Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:06 pm
  • Let me correct that... on their first BIG tour. I know they were an underground band, and hit it big in 83 or 84. So it was in that era. They obviously played a lot of shows in the buildup to the "hair band Ratt".
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:28 pm
  • I can dig it..I have no idea how old the guy was or how long he had played back in 83, but he was pretty dang solid a year or two after. Rough start maybe, but by no means a sucky guitarist.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:31 pm
  • No, I was going off of the sucking and then making it big aspect. He couldn't play his own solos, but then did, so he made it big and was ultimately a great guitarist. Apparently I misread it. They were going for guys that suck and are famous. Sorry. My bad on misreading the intent.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 am
  • I thought Zakk Wylde hit the ground running on the song "No More Tears". One of the most awesome riffs ever, played with slide, and conventional.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:41 am
  • Zakk did. Like I said... better than basically everybody who ever lived, but has still improved. He says in his book that he just stole Leslie West's pinch harmonics and entire playing style early while he got his feet under him basically. Think about "No More Tears" and "Mississippi Queen". I had never made a connection until I heard Zakk say it himself. Kind of funny that there are similarities between that Ozzy metal and some southern fried rock.

Zakk is even better today. He never stopped practicing. I think that's all he does (except lift weights) now that he stopped drinking. He is also a virtuoso on the piano. His album "Pride and Glory" (prior to the forming of Black Label Society) was supposedly all him. He played every instrument and then put together a group of guys to play the songs with him in live shows. Quite impressive, especially considering how young he was and how diverse and cool that entire album is.

The guy is a musical genius and studies and learns amazing amounts of information. It must be nice to have a photographic memory, perfect pitch, and an ability to recreate anything you hear instantaneously.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:09 pm
  • Glad to hear Zakk quit drinking. He needed to.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:19 pm
  • Gonna Hi-jack my thread and say I am gacked to see Satriani in a small theatre in L.A. on the 31st. :179417:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:17 pm
  • Nickel Back is pretty god damn awful.

Radiohead doesn't shred but they are still pretty big. They have a really unique sound though.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:28 pm
  • Peter Buck and "The Edge" are two d00dz who get WAY too much credit as guitar players in my book.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:20 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:Peter Buck and "The Edge" are two d00dz who get WAY too much credit as guitar players in my book.

Concur... the "Edge" made a living off of a nice reverb setup. I once had a "friend" tell me that Edge was a far superior player to Joe Satriani. Not making this up. His reasoning was that it was obvious, because Edge had sold millions of albums and wrote music that people liked. I asked him this simple question... "Do you think Satriani could step in and play Edge's parts for a section of a U2 tour if say Edge broke his hand or got sick?" He said, "Sure... he could." I said, "Could Edge play "Surfing With the Alien" all the way through?" He said "No way." I said, "Then there is your answer." He said, "F--- you." Ha.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 am
  • Axx wrote:Nickel Back is pretty god damn awful.

Radiohead doesn't shred but they are still pretty big. They have a really unique sound though.

Don't sleep on Jonny Greenwood. He's got plenty of his own chops, but that style of music doesn't call for tech demos on guitar. Greenwood is very talented.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:24 am
  • Keith Richards.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 am
  • I am biased when it comers to U2, because I think they are fantastic, so I don't agree with the Edge being a terrible guitar player. That said, the bit about Satriani stepping in to take the Edge's place, he could certainly do the guitar work, but little else. The Edge is a pretty damned good musician. Dude plays a keyboard with his feet and sings backup. It's not like U2 gets by with poppy crap like Beiber or Britney Spears. They have some really great music. Hell, their Joshua Tree album is a masterpiece.
    Last time I checked, not being as good as Joe Satriani doesn't mean you suck.
    LargentFan
    NET Starter

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:42 am
  • I would WHOLLY disagree with Warren DeMartini being anywhere on this "list".

I would, however, add Mick Mars to it.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:54 am
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:Keith Richards.

Eeven with those riffs? I mean I get he's not the killer lead guy and all, but he's written some of the most memorable riffs of the era. BTW, not a fav of mine by any stretch. Just a point of discussion.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:20 am
  • Richards playing is over-simplified on purpose so he can sound good live while being blasted out of his mind. He doesn't even do a good job of concealing it. I mean, a solo just playing one note? Come on.

Had a friend back in WA that is a really good guitarist. Similar to that recording somebody made and sent to Lars called "In Justice for All, WITH bass", this guy made a compilation of Stones tunes remastered with more creative leads and riffs. He gave me a copy but I cant find it to save my life.

His contention is that the Stones music was too basic and boring so he went into the studio to rewrite it for fun. I remember it sounded freakin awesome. Wish I could find it.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:52 am
  • LargentFan wrote:I am biased when it comers to U2, because I think they are fantastic, so I don't agree with the Edge being a terrible guitar player. That said, the bit about Satriani stepping in to take the Edge's place, he could certainly do the guitar work, but little else. The Edge is a pretty damned good musician. Dude plays a keyboard with his feet and sings backup. It's not like U2 gets by with poppy crap like Beiber or Britney Spears. They have some really great music. Hell, their Joshua Tree album is a masterpiece.
    Last time I checked, not being as good as Joe Satriani doesn't mean you suck.

The Edge is pretty sucky, dude. I don't mind U2 necessarily, but the Edge is and always has bene a one-trick pony. He's on par with Noel Gallagher. Not BAD musicians, per se, just not great guitar players.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:16 am
  • All the Edge does is hold a chord and pick the notes out of it.

And like a Twister he does it well, and he fits nicely into the "suck zone".

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information