Ray Donovan

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Ray Donovan
Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:57 pm
  • This show is getting VERY close to being epic. It can't quite make up its mind on whether wants bo legendary or just great. But, for sure worth a watch.

And, James Woods just joined the cast. Yeah, James Woods.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Re: Ray Donovan
Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 pm
  • It's entertaining but I haven't been really drawn into it completely yet. Actually saw one of the actors in, can't remember his name, but he opened up at the Parlor Live in Bellevue for Tommy Davidson.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:05 pm
  • I absolutely love Liev Schreiber, and will be shotgunning this as soon as the season is over.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm
  • Thanks for the heads up. I'm putting it on my Netflix watch list. Hopefuly you're not overhyping this like Chris Polk.

I've been watching Boardwalk Empire on your recommendation (at least I think it was you that said it was pretty good?) and have been enjoying that show.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 pm
  • Boardwalk, much like Soprano's will always have moody episodes and seasons. Season two is great.

Donovan's gotta great cast going for it.

It's still Showtime, so the quality is not quite HBO and/or film, but damn near. The first few episodes force things so you understand he's a father and a gangster (yeah, original, huh?). But, it's like if Affleck directed and wrote the Soprano's. It's more thuggish white trash than rich gangster tradition.

Or, in my family, a tad more realistic.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 pm
  • I love it...
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:40 pm
  • People...watch this.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm
  • I tuned in for about 3 seconds and it was 100 year old flappy slappy Jon Voight plowing somebody that could be his grandkid. I almost vomited and immediately went back to the Cartoon Network. Promise me it gets better, and maybe I'll watch it. That guy shirtless=no sale. Yuck. It was almost as bad as Kathy Bates in the buff. I almost carved my eyes out.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:17 pm
  • Ha! Voight plays a pretty good old pervy/creep scumbag. Give it 3 full episodes.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 pm
  • 3 episodes? Man... that 3 seconds may have scarred me for life. I tuned in to watch it, but it started early because boxing ended early I think. I was like "EEEEEK!!!" like a little girl running from a mouse. Nasty. This is the kind of thing that would happen when I was a kid. I'd be watching TV and nothing wrong would be going on. I'd be flipping channels and I'd hit something right as my mom or dad entered the room and they'd ground me or just make me go on a five mile bike ride. We'd never speak of it again. We're good at bottling things up and hiding them like that.

Now it just happens that I AM my parents. Life sucks.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 pm
  • It's Soprano's and The Town/Gone Baby Gone...with a modernized West Coast feel. Unlike Soprano's, it stays true to its genre and goes full gangster at least once an episode.

And, how can I saw this without offending people. Shark, being from "Utah" you may appreciate the religious angle/target of the show. What person from "Utah" doesn't like to poke fun at Catholics? Catholicism's an easy target, yeah, but it works.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:42 pm
  • Utah is full of Catholics. That's the predominant religion here. In fact... we only say that we're Mormons to throw everybody off. If they knew we were full of Catholics and as awesome as we are, then everybody would move here. It's sort of like Washington and the lies about all of the rain. It has worked so far, so keep our secret safe please.

And please... I'm not FROM Utah, I just got roped into living here when my parents made a break from Washington and forced me to come along. Then they did the classic "Catholic" trick of guilting me into staying until they passed away. Now my wife is only 9 years from her pension, so we're stuck... grrr....

It sounds like they are following the path of that HBO show about the "Mormons" and all them being polygamists. I've heard it's true! Mormons... what an easy target. Losers. I almost typed lobsters for some reason.

But on a serious note... my brother was doing some genealogy the other day, and found out for the first time that my grandma's great grandfather was a polygamist, and quite a notorious one at that. Up until last week we had never had any connection to polygamy at all that we knew of. My brother found a bunch of marriage certificates though. Haha. I always said my family was smart enough to realize that we aren't even good at having one wife, let alone 2 or more. At least that's the case on the side that has my last name. One wife per customer (at a time at least).
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 pm
  • How are people not digging this?

I didn't know Voight could act this well (at least since 70's). Plus, Woods is right out of the Departed.

Oh, and it has my PERFECT woman. Mix of white-trash AND Irish, just like me....

pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:31 pm
  • pehawk wrote:How are people not digging this?

I didn't know Voight could act this well (at least since 70's). Plus, Woods is right out of the Departed.

Oh, and it has my PERFECT woman. Mix of white-trash AND Irish, just like me....

She's a prettier version of Skyler for me. I'd anger-bang the hell out of them because they're both annoying as hell and gingers.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm
  • I started watching the first two and couldn't get into it. Then after seeing this thread I stsrted again. Its okay but I'm only halfway through. Better than I thought but not in Pe's stratosphere for me yet.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:59 pm
  • Yea,h, it starts slow. They force a lot of the family dynamics into the initial four or five episodes. They set up his dichotomy; a sociopath AND family man. And, the acting gets better as the show goes on. Voight especially.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:16 pm
  • Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! Just finished watching it. Love this show. Liev Schreiber does a great job, and Voight does too, but as Pe said, it takes a while. The show itself takes a while to get going, too; 6-7 episodes in, IMO.

I've been waiting a long time for this show to come out. Saw a preview in theaters like a year ago, and have wanted to see it since because I love Liev Schreiber.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:39 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! Just finished watching it. Love this show. Liev Schreiber does a great job, and Voight does too, but as Pe said, it takes a while. The show itself takes a while to get going, too; 6-7 episodes in, IMO.

I've been waiting a long time for this show to come out. Saw a preview in theaters like a year ago, and have wanted to see it since because I love Liev Schreiber.

I know!

Not only does it start a tad slow to set things up, there's some episodes that are a little "blah". But, when it does work, it reaches rarified air. There's a lot of cool sub-plots and twists going on.

Voight plays is so well, eventually. He really nails that "small time thug" that acts like a mafia don, gimmick.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:58 am
  • Plus the show allowed me to add "Pipe me, b!tch!" to my vernacular. And, as Roland will tell ya, I need a lot of assistance in vocab and English.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:05 am
  • You know who else I was impressed with? The actor that plays Bunchy. He gives off that impression of a ruined life from what happened to him as a kid BEAUTIFULLY. You really feel sorry for him. At least, I did.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:00 am
  • I must say...in the beginning I just watched it just to watch it. Halfway in, it really drew me in. At the end, you see why Ray is the way he is, especially towards his father. Very good performances by all the actors
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information