Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Sleep Paralysis..
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 am 
NET Starter

First off, For all you who don't know what it is just look it up. I've been dealing with this for a long time now. I get it about 10 times a year. I had another episode tonight so I thought I would share with you guys. Well tonight I dreamed about The Seahawks Vs. Chargers Pre Season game. We were at the 5 yard line and Lynch ran in the touchdown. I was on the side line and had a perfect view of the score, It was in slow motion also. Then suddenly the dream changes. I was sitting at a table at a park next to my old High school. I was talking to my friends older brother who I've never met before. And for some reason I had a weird feeling in my stomach so tried to wake myself up because I knew I was dreaming. I finally woke myself up. When I did wake myself up. I couldn't move, talk, open my eyes. All I could do is hear and feel. I felt someone or something sitting on my chest. The pressure was so great I thought I was suffocating. While that was going on I heard someone or something walking at my bed side. But not only walking but running and smashing into the walls. I couldn't see what it was because my eyes were closed. And I'm happy they were. It gives me the chills just thinking about it.

So I was wondering if anybody else here has was I'm experiencing. Or if people already know they have it. Any tips would help also. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. You don't know what fear is really like till you get it.

Have a good one, And feel free to move to a different forum.

Post subject: Re: Sleep Paralysis..
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:05 am 
NET Veteran

Yeah, I've had this a good few times, though not as frequently as you've described.

Nothing like feeling an invisible force pinning you down and breathing heavily on you to scare you senseless. Takes me a long time to calm down after too. It's not like nightmares, even at their worst.

Shamefully, I've forgotten all the reading up I did about it, which was about 15 years ago. I was looking at the links between that and astral projection (Don't judge me, I was young). Oddly, the more I researched in books on my own, the more people would randomly start conversations about it in public. One guy I knew that hated talking about it, as every time he was reminded, then that night it would happen to him. He was a bit of a wreck as a result.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:29 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

I'm pretty prone to SP and various other parasomnias.

I had a REAL long stretch where I could've contributed heavily to succubus lore. Picture years of ongoing sleep paralysis featuring a clawed bitey invisible rape demon that had a damned good memory for mental conversations and conflicts we'd had over said years. A sort of truce was eventually formed and to be honest, I got to kind of like my freaky weird demon dreams... but seriously was like having a pet dream tiger -- thing could turn into some genuinely PAINFUL dreams because, y'know, clawed rape demon.

Edit to Add: Just did a brief bit of research when I noticed someone saying ten times per year seemed 'frequent'. Apparently mine would classify as 'severe' -- "Weekly sleep paralysis episodes over a period of more than six months"

I was working nights, mostly, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 am 
NET Veteran

Happened to me a couple times in college, was really creepy. My roommates and I built up this whole 'our house is haunted' lore to go with it.

Because honestly it felt like that, not being able to move, felt like an invisible force(the ghost) was holding me down and looking at me, bizarre.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:39 am 
* NET Baller *

Happens all the time to me, I notice I'm more prone to it when I sleep on my back or stomach, or when it's dead quiet, mostly when I fall asleep on my back. So I make sure I sleep on my side now, which has always been more comfortable for me anyway. It's gotten to the point where sometimes I don't panic, just focus on something to make it move.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Throwdown wrote:
Happens all the time to me, I notice I'm more prone to it when I sleep on my back or stomach, or when it's dead quiet, mostly when I fall asleep on my back. So I make sure I sleep on my side now, which has always been more comfortable for me anyway. It's gotten to the point where sometimes I don't panic, just focus on something to make it move.

Yeah, this. Sleeping on my back during the day is almost a guaranteed weird SP/hallucinogenic trip. It's probably been indicated before that I'm extraordinarily weird, so I -try- to induce it. (Sleep Paralysis and hypnagogic hallucination-type experiences transition well into lucid dreaming.) I'm almost entirely nightmare-proof for whatever reason... I just have 'Horror-themed Dreams'. Hard to call it a nightmare when you think it's fun, eh?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 am 
* NET Starfish *

Yeah, i had this through my teenage years. It's freaky to be awake but not be able to move your body. Like my boy Throw, I'd just focus on a particular limb or muscle until I got it to move. Then my body would slowly just wake up by itself. Still, freaky as hell.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 am 
* NET Baller *

What's weird is I fall right back asleep afterwards, I'm kind of dreading next Friday when I get my wisdoms pulled, I'll be on my back that entire time but there will be people around so I should be good and it's also going to be chemically induced sleep.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:49 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

What y'all experienced was the grey extraterrestrials performing experiments on you.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:51 am 
*Host of .NET Awards*

You were still dreaming

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 am 
* NET Baller *

HoustonHawk82 wrote:
What y'all experienced was the grey extraterrestrials performing experiments on you.

o rly? then why don't I have special powers n stuff?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 am 
NET Veteran

HoustonHawk82 wrote:

Or the reptilians! :16:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 am 
* NET Baller *

Are you implying that I'm part of the illuminati or something? cuz I just turned in my application a week ago.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:47 am 
NET Veteran

Sandpoint Hawk wrote:
First off, For all you who don't know what it is just look it up. I've been dealing with this for a long time now. I get it about 10 times a year. I had another episode tonight so I thought I would share with you guys. Well tonight I dreamed about The Seahawks Vs. Chargers Pre Season game. We were at the 5 yard line and Lynch ran in the touchdown. I was on the side line and had a perfect view of the score, It was in slow motion also. Then suddenly the dream changes. I was sitting at a table at a park next to my old High school. I was talking to my friends older brother who I've never met before. And for some reason I had a weird feeling in my stomach so tried to wake myself up because I knew I was dreaming. I finally woke myself up. When I did wake myself up. I couldn't move, talk, open my eyes. All I could do is hear and feel. I felt someone or something sitting on my chest. The pressure was so great I thought I was suffocating. While that was going on I heard someone or something walking at my bed side. But not only walking but running and smashing into the walls. I couldn't see what it was because my eyes were closed. And I'm happy they were. It gives me the chills just thinking about it.

So I was wondering if anybody else here has was I'm experiencing. Or if people already know they have it. Any tips would help also. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. You don't know what fear is really like till you get it.

Have a good one, And feel free to move to a different forum.

Arrr.... the Ol' Hag

I get this maybe once or twice a year. Not fun.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:49 am 
* NET Baller *

I've never felt the pressure on my chest, I've felt the hard time breathing though.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:07 pm 
NET Starter

I got it 6 times in a row one night before. I couldn't sleep for days.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 pm 
* NET Baller *

Them aliens must've been doing WORK on you.

Most times its ever happened to me is twice in one night, that was the night I realized I was falling asleep on my back (I don't normally do that, it isn't as comfortable in the first place). What I found that helps is playing music while you sleep, its something I've been doing since I was a kid, habit I picked up from my dad. I don't know if you have a significant other that you share the bed with, but if you don't load some music on your phone and play it while you sleep.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:19 pm 
NET Veteran

I get it from sleeping on my back, paranoia about having it seems to work too. Although, one time I induced it by closing my eyes and focus at a red dot that appears that is eye-shaped (minds-eye?) and kept focusing for like 5 minutes and boom! I was paralyzed. The closest explanation to it that I can figure is it basically feels like you've left this world and entered into hell. At least that's my experience.

Every time but one, I was encountered with a shadowy figure that as soon as I saw him in my head/room, he would sprint to me in about .05 seconds, basically swooping, and start strangling me. I would try to move and make whimpering noises to wake up. However, one time there was a pleasant shadowy figure and I basically had some sort of very weird/euphoric sexual experience.

All of it is insane and beyond my understanding.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:58 pm 
NET Veteran

Interesting. Found this:

•During sleep, you cycle through several different stages. During the Rapid Eye Movement (REM) stages you tend to dream more, and the brain ‘switches off’ your muscles. One reason is that this prevents you from acting out your dreams in bed. Sometimes you might wake up mentally from REM sleep, but the body may take a while to catch up and remain ‘frozen’. In that way you will be mentally waking up while still physically paralyzed.

http://www.nosleeplessnights.com/sleep-paralysis-stories-intruder-demon-or-delusion/

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:04 pm 
NET Veteran

I've only had one episode that has stuck in my mind. I was a teenager and passed out on the couch. Woke up in the middle of the night to a bright light hovering over me. I tried to get up and scream, but I couldn't move and nothing came out. Seemed like it lasted a minute or 2. Freaky stuff.

In my culture it's referred to as a ghost sitting or standing on you.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

TravTex wrote:
Throwdown wrote:

Yeah, this. Sleeping on my back during the day is almost a guaranteed weird SP/hallucinogenic trip. It's probably been indicated before that I'm extraordinarily weird, so I -try- to induce it. (Sleep Paralysis and hypnagogic hallucination-type experiences transition well into lucid dreaming.) I'm almost entirely nightmare-proof for whatever reason... I just have 'Horror-themed Dreams'. Hard to call it a nightmare when you think it's fun, eh?

The only time I don't like it is when I realize I am supposed to get up because otherwise I'll be late for something. Then it's a bit of a panic, but only because I know I need to be up and am not. My body plays this little "GET UP NOW!" - "naw, man, later!" game with my mind that's less than stellar feeling.

Otherwise, I'm with Trav on this one. I try to induce it too, and works well just as described. I find all kinds of cool story material if I can slip into a semi-conscious, lucid dream state. I can pretty much control my dreams at that point and really open up to a lot of things I'd otherwise simply be along for the ride with.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm 
NET Starter

Throwdown wrote:
Them aliens must've been doing WORK on you.

Most times its ever happened to me is twice in one night, that was the night I realized I was falling asleep on my back (I don't normally do that, it isn't as comfortable in the first place). What I found that helps is playing music while you sleep, its something I've been doing since I was a kid, habit I picked up from my dad. I don't know if you have a significant other that you share the bed with, but if you don't load some music on your phone and play it while you sleep.

Thanks for the info, I'll try that.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:27 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1376004465481.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1376004465481.jpg [ 18.26 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:12 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

I've read a lot about SP and I feel sorry for those of you who have to endure it. I've only had it once but I felt pretty powerless and like I was sinking into myself...Like my consciousness was being reduced to the size of an atom within my body. I couldn't move and I thought I was dying. Horrible.

Now Astral Projection/OBEs? I've had hundreds throughout my life. Different than lucid dreams too. MUCH more fun and enlightening.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm 
* NET Baller *

I heard about those, want to experience one oh so badly, seriously. That and I want to truly see a UFO.

My friends swear up and down they seen one of them triangle UFO's a few years back, I was at work and they were blowing my phone up texting me 100x about it.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:05 am 
NET Veteran

Aros wrote:
I've read a lot about SP and I feel sorry for those of you who have to endure it. I've only had it once but I felt pretty powerless and like I was sinking into myself...Like my consciousness was being reduced to the size of an atom within my body. I couldn't move and I thought I was dying. Horrible.

That's a spot on description of how it feels to me.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:13 am 
* NET Baller *

I always feel like I'm gonna die, try and whimper as loud as I can, I don't know if anyone else can hear it but I try my damnedest.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:39 am 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Throwdown wrote:
I heard about those, want to experience one oh so badly, seriously. That and I want to truly see a UFO.

My friends swear up and down they seen one of them triangle UFO's a few years back, I was at work and they were blowing my phone up texting me 100x about it.

Yeah those are pretty fun and enlightening too. :)

Keep your eyes to the skies. You might be surprised how much we miss because we don't spend much time looking up.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:05 am 
* 17Power Blogger *

Throwdown wrote:
HoustonHawk82 wrote:

Because that's not what the aliens are up to. They're just trying to create special hybrid children, so they can reproduce and eventually breed us off the planet to save their race.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 am 
* NET Philistine *

MontanaHawk05 wrote:
Throwdown wrote:
HoustonHawk82 wrote:

Because that's not what the aliens are up to. They're just trying to create special hybrid children, so they can reproduce and eventually breed us off the planet to save their race.

I swear the Doctor took care of that issue already.

I mean, spoilers...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:00 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

TriCHawk wrote:
Aros wrote:

Can I have some of whatever drugs you guys are taking?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:39 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

SacHawk2.0 wrote:
TriCHawk wrote:
Aros wrote:

Can I have some of whatever drugs you guys are taking?

Organic food.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Organic food.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:10 pm 
NET Veteran

To the OP, a tip for help, Trav and Sailor seemed to have mastered it, but the key is to remain calm. Since I don't like demons groping my body, I have to mentally battle it off, sometimes trying to actually utter the word "no" and just wait for about 30 seconds. Over time you can feel the paralysis coming, most times I can wake up before I'm paralyzed, but in the rare times I don't I just remain calm and wait until I gain control of my body.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:43 pm 
NET Veteran

I get sleep paralysis too. I'm a very anti-authoritative guy and not being able to move straight up pisses me off, even though somehow I always know that everything is fine because it's just a dream.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:34 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

I'm a very light sleeper so nothing like this has ever really happened too me before. I have had some scary dreams that freaked me out severely, but no paralysis.

I remember one dream I had when I was about 5 years old where Jesus appeared in my room asking me to not wet the bed anymore. That one was trippy. I usually can't remember my dreams but that one was so vivid and life alteringly real it has stayed with me for 45 years. It was like I was awakened by a presence and there he was standing next to my bed. So real, so freaky, so much different than any other dream, I can almost say it was real.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:27 am 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Ive never had it..its an interesting cultural study subject though.. its a human trait but until recently some cultures didnt recognize it much and for others it has been a big deal for centuries.

Hope to NEVER experience it..

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:42 am 
NET Starter

cmike had it a few days ago and tweeted about it:

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 6 Aug
Devil get off me

whenever it happens to me i'm always alone in bed, so it probably IS ghosts, aliens or satan.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 am 
* NET Baller *

Happened to me JUST this morning, again.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:49 am 
NET Veteran

Dang, I feel sorry for you guys affected by sleep paralysis - it sounds terrible.

You guys have got me thinking about this stuff before I go to sleep now haha it better not happen to me!

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]