Thinking about Finally visiting Vancouver

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Thinking about Finally visiting Vancouver
Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:07 pm
  • The nice one in B.C. :)

But I need to know before I ever go ahead with this plan if I'm even allowed in.

When I was a minor I was convicted of a violent crime, I won't go into detail but it was pretty bad, but I was a minor so I don't even know if it applies anymore, never even researched it, nor do I have my record sealed. I know I can get a passport if I need it, but would Canada let me in is the question I have.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• as long as it was not a felony, you should be fine. If it was, it might be an issue. Just go for it anyway, if they turn you back, just go kick it at Boundary Bay in B'ham. (or any other of the half dozen kick butt brew pubs north of Seattle). If you go, you should go up for the festival of light. should be going on pretty soon I think.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• Um, I'm not so sure man and here's why............I got popped for picking magic mushrooms in the early 80s, Criminal Trespass and it supposedly was removed from my record after I fulfilled my probationary period but in the early/mid-90s I tried to cross into B.C. at the US395 crossing north of Kettle Falls with my brother. He also had a bust that was supposedly removed from his record (posession of some sort of downer) after he fulfilled his probation but guess what, both of our arrests were available for Canadian authorities to see. We sat in their little shack stuck between the USA and Canada, literally in no man's land for like 2 hours while they went through the pickup truck I was driving with a fine tooth comb. They found nothing because by then I didn't even smoke pot anymore and he was (and sadly still is) "just an alcoholic". They FINALLY let us go but I wished I hadn't bothered. Haven't been back since though I really want to ride my motorcycle up to Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper soon. I am going to get one of those North American endorsements on my Drivers License (I have no need for a passport) and hopefully since I'm old now they won't dig into my past too much. It still angers me to know that something that was supposed to be removed from my record was not. However,

since you were a minor at the time you screwed up you have a far better chance of Canadian border authorities not having access to your past issues. But, I really don't know for sure and am skeptical that they won't find out. Just my 2 pennies.........and good luck.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• This is one of those instances in life when the digital age just sucks. You know, we all know, and even the border guard knows you aren't a threat, but if the guard looks past what he sees on the computer screen, his job status is put in jeopardy.

I remember when we were 19 and crossing at Blaine to hit the Bars. The dude would ask the usual questions and ask for ID, and that was it. When asked what we were going to do, we'd just point to the cabaret and say "get a buzz and watch boobs". The honesty always made them smile and wave as through.

Aahhhh, those were simpler times...
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:This is one of those instances in life when the digital age just sucks. You know, we all know, and even the border guard knows you aren't a threat, but if the guard looks past what he sees on the computer screen, his job status is put in jeopardy.

I remember when we were 19 and crossing at Blaine to hit the Bars. The dude would ask the usual questions and ask for ID, and that was it. When asked what we were going to do, we'd just point to the cabaret and say "get a buzz and watch boobs". The honesty always made them smile and wave as through.

Yeah Scott, concur.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I was just going to post a similar thread, but asking about the don't-miss sights in downtown Vancouver, BC, so I'll just do it here instead. Don't want to hijack the thread, but am curious as to what are the cool areas to visit in the city. Think nice areas to walk and enjoy cafes, restaurants, etc., and the more traditional tourist venues.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Gastown on the north side of downtown touristy and a little rundown. However, there's a little place called the Alibi Room which is awesome for beer geeks up there. Get some Driftwood Brewing beer. Good stuff. (And pick up some Phillips Longboat Chocolate Porter for the missus). I would stick to the south side near Granville island. Rent some bikes and ride along the Seawall. Make sure to hit up the Vancouver aquarium. If you desire to kill yourself through exercise, do the Grouse Grind. Also, the sea to sky highway (I think that's what it's called. CAN?) has some of the best vistas I've ever seen and is worth the drive up to Whistler.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:This is one of those instances in life when the digital age just sucks. You know, we all know, and even the border guard knows you aren't a threat, but if the guard looks past what he sees on the computer screen, his job status is put in jeopardy.

ahhh... the tudor inn. shame that place shut down many moons ago
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• I just wear my Canucks Jersey and they always wave me on through.

I think you will be ok though.
    "12's, they're bringing the trophy home." - Steve Raible
    seahawksfan28
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Gastown on the north side of downtown touristy and a little rundown. However, there's a little place called the Alibi Room which is awesome for beer geeks up there. Get some Driftwood Brewing beer. Good stuff. (And pick up some Phillips Longboat Chocolate Porter for the missus). I would stick to the south side near Granville island. Rent some bikes and ride along the Seawall. Make sure to hit up the Vancouver aquarium. If you desire to kill yourself through exercise, do the Grouse Grind. Also, the sea to sky highway (I think that's what it's called. CAN?) has some of the best vistas I've ever seen and is worth the drive up to Whistler.

Yup, sea to sky highway is the one. Hwy 99 officially. Nice drive. Much safer too since they redid it all for the Olympics.

Seawall is dope. I work a block away from it and walk that bitch a few times a week (lived here my whole life and never done the grind though...lol) Gastown's kinda cool. It was the original Townsite of vancouver and many of the old buildings are still intact. Cobblestone streets and all that crap, kinda like pioneer square I suppose. Just be careful though, you transition from quaint and historical to homeless and heroin addicted really fricking fast with no real warning. If checking out Gastown, Steamworks is a pretty cool brew pub.

Chinatown is just adjacent to Gastown, but you have to traverse bumtown to get to it. Worth the trip though, get yourself some dried sea monkies to make your pee pee hard. Granville island is cool, kinda like a mini pike Place, but it's a bloody tourist trap. Everything is hella expensive.

Hit me up if you're planning a trip. I'll show you where the good poutine is!
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• I don't know what exactly you're into, but I've checked out a few cool places while visiting over the years.

As others have said, Gastown is pretty cool, specifically Steamworks. I took the better half to Steamworks last year and we were both impressed.

The aquarium is very cool if you're into animals/aquariums/zoos.

Capilano Suspension Bridge and that area is very pretty and unique as well.

I know I'm missing some spots I can't remember the names of, but Vancouver is a good place to visit.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Go to bc place stadium and check out some cfl action. Its a nice stadium and a relatively cheap date... And... Y'know... Have some lolz about punting on third down.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• So you coming to my town or what pussy?
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Who me? You wanna kick box me Ms. Japan?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• i DJToy had issues going to Canada with a misdemeanor traffic ticket (it counted as a felony up there or some crap) and i dunno if i can go having a DUI from 07.
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information