Whiskey Elements

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Whiskey Elements
Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:57 am
  • I'd like to know what you guys think if this. A buddy of mine is invested in this product and I'll admit, I'm intrigued. You think something like this will actually work the way they say it does?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/26 ... in-24-hour

Side note: when he first told me about them he was calling them whiskey sticks which I think is totally a better name. Way less douchey IMO.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Re: Whiskey Elements
Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 am
  • I like Elements better because it sells to the snobby, dickish market that will buy these.

On the other hand, as someone who enjoys whiskey, I am definitely going to back this very cool idea. The Acetaldehyde in well-whiskeys or even Jameson (what I of course purchase when mixing) is a significant issue. Love the idea of being able to limit that as much as possible while creating your own unique tastes from your favorite cheap whiskeys!
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:44 am
  • What I would wonder is if it applies to the Glen Levitt or Johnny Walker level of liquors. That would make things a bit more intriguing.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:46 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:What I would wonder is if it applies to the Glen Levitt or Johnny Walker level of liquors. That would make things a bit more intriguing.

Why wouldn't it apply?
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:54 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:What I would wonder is if it applies to the Glen Levitt or Johnny Walker level of liquors. That would make things a bit more intriguing.

Why wouldn't it apply?

Was it a part of the experimentation? I only see where they did the experiment on the one bottle. My caveat here is that I did not watch the video. If they only used, say, a set of rye whiskeys for the test...then the different series of whiskeys may not apply. I dont know. Also, would the flavor change if you left the twig in for 48 hours to a smoother variety? Do you have to change out the twig for a better flavor after 24 hours? Have they tried to go to Shark Tank and see what happens there? Just a few questions on my mind. Causing me a headache too...maybe I need a liquid beverage. LOL
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 pm
  • I'm not a huge whiskey fan, mainly because I can't afford to drink the whiskey I like. I'm not a snob, but I just far prefer to drink a decent tequila rather than a cheap or decent whiskey.

I think I'm going to pledge it. In regards to Seahawkfan80, Shark Tank is a last resort, yet awesome show. They always want a gigantic cut of your company, lol. If you can fund through Kickstarter, it's literally a million times better of an option.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 pm
  • Hey, thats different. I can't stand the taste of whiskey, but maybe this makes it pallatable for me?....Not sure and probably not curious enough to try.

BTW, whiskey wood is a better name. Although "whiskeydick" is not associated with wood.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:27 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not a huge whiskey fan, mainly because I can't afford to drink the whiskey I like. I'm not a snob, but I just far prefer to drink a decent tequila rather than a cheap or decent whiskey.

I think I'm going to pledge it. In regards to Seahawkfan80, Shark Tank is a last resort, yet awesome show. They always want a gigantic cut of your company, lol. If you can fund through Kickstarter, it's literally a million times better of an option.

It's weird to think that I hated tequila as a youngin' but now I love it. Probably because I stopped drinking Sauza and Ceurvo.

My current tequila of choice is Espolon Silver. Cheap, 100% aguave, never has given me a hangover. Best cheap tequila besides Tapatio Blanco.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 pm
  • Sonic, have you tried Costco's Kirkland Signature brand of Anejo tequila? I recently did, and was very impressed. I highly recommend picking up a bottle; check it out. The Kirkland Signature Silver tequila was only decent, IMO, but their Anejo blew me away for the price point.

(Sorry about the hijack, guys.)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:41 pm
  • I've never had it straight, but a friend made margaritas with it, which is not a normal thing for anejo's and it wasn't bad, very smooth.

It doesn't taste like a good Anejo, but I can hardly complain at that price. Not much of an aftertaste.

Funny enough after Googling who makes the Costo Anejo, it's the same place that bottles the Agave 99, which is a very decent Anejo.

I may have to give it another shot, straight.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:58 pm
  • I'm pretty excited to see what this thing'll do to a bottle of R&R.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:02 pm
  • I'm going to put it in a can of Bud Light Lime and see what happens.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:I'm going to put it in a can of Bud Light Lime and see what happens.

I do not think that product will do what you think it will do.

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 pm
  • Curious to know what BLL even tastes like. I can only imagine. Water with, a crappy watered down lager with an even crappier idea of putting lime into it. And people actually pay for it. Brilliant.

DTex probably lives on it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:I'm going to put it in a can of Bud Light Lime and see what happens.

That's good thinkin.

This thing is gonna meet and exceed it's goal in a matter of days. Maybe hours. Hopefully this guy's not a con artist.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:I'm going to put it in a can of Bud Light Lime and see what happens.

That's good thinkin.

This thing is gonna meet and exceed it's goal in a matter of days. Maybe hours. Hopefully this guy's not a con artist.

Contact him and say you want to meet him face-to-face, you're both in Portland. Do some leg work for us, Zeb! :)

...Also, no, trying this on a friggin' Bud Light is HORRIBLE thinking. :|
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:52 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Curious to know what BLL even tastes like. I can only imagine. Water with, a crappy watered down lager with an even crappier idea of putting lime into it. And people actually pay for it. Brilliant.

DTex probably lives on it.

I've had one. Once. I think the chemical they use for the "lime" flavoring is a rearranged acetone molecule.

Nasty stuff. I cannot believe that they still sell that crap.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:00 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:I'm going to put it in a can of Bud Light Lime and see what happens.

That's good thinkin.

Contact him and say you want to meet him face-to-face, you're both in Portland. Do some leg work for us, Zeb! :)

...Also, no, trying this on a friggin' Bud Light is HORRIBLE thinking. :|

Well my buddy who told me about it who's somehow invested in the product already is a con artist haha. I'll see what I can find out.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:02 pm
  • I can see it coming now. Some guy in Darrington is going to burn down his trailer, sawing up an old whiskey barrel and throwing the chunks in an oven tonight trying to recreate these damn things!
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:12 pm
  • The guy who's Kickstar account started it (and I'm assuming his sister is involved), this is his sister

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kari_Ann_Peniche

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:15 pm
  • bewbs
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 pm
  • btw my buddy's not really a con artist. he's more of an opportunist.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 pm
  • almost $16k right now. this one's a done deal.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 am
  • Lump in my drawers!

Front and back.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:49 pm
  • It's done. I pledged. Who's with me?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Whiskey Elements
Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:58 pm
  • Has anybody considered getting one of these in your hands to see if it works?

Was my first thought.
    I'd want to know, before I gave a dime.
    "Look, now they got a bicycle"
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:05 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Has anybody considered getting one of these in your hands to see if it works?

Was my first thought.

I don't think you realize how Kickstarter works. :) If you want a free sample of something, go to a grocery store. Kickstarter is for brave pioneers unafraid to dip their feet in from the beginning...Or something like that; but seriously, free samples are an "existing proven business trying something new" kind of a thing, and that's definitely not a Kickstarter campaign.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:13 pm
  • Kickstarter is for crappy ideas and like 3 or 4 great ones created by people who have no experience in being successful.

Basically it's a waste of money. But of course, I'm backing this crap.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Whiskey Elements
Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Has anybody considered getting one of these in your hands to see if it works?

Was my first thought.

I don't think you realize how Kickstarter works. :) If you want a free sample of something, go to a grocery store. Kickstarter is for brave pioneers unafraid to dip their feet in from the beginning...Or something like that; but seriously, free samples are a "existing proven business trying something new" kind of a thing, and that's definitely not a Kickstarter campaign.

So you can't contact the guy, and say hey I like your idea, I've got 2k I'd like to give you but I want to see if the stuff works like you say it will?

Not talking about a free sample. Talking about knowing the stuff is worth investing in.

But yea, I have no clue how kickstater works.
    "Look, now they got a bicycle"
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:19 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:Kickstarter is for crappy ideas and like 3 or 4 great ones created by people who have no experience in being successful.

Basically it's a waste of money. But of course, I'm backing this crap.

True for many, but let's be realistic here, too. It's a fantastic platform for someone who wants money without giving up any control of a new company. If you have a legitimately good idea, it can be a fantastic platform where you don't get screwed out of ownership of your company by a billionaire entrepreneurs.

Plus...Chris Roberts used Kickstarter to start Star Citizen.

pmedic920 wrote:So you can't contact the guy, and say hey I like your idea, I've got 2k I'd like to give you but I want to see if the stuff works like you say it will?

Not really, no. Most Kickstarter projects don't have the item "made" yet to even demonstrate. Many are concept ideas and a lot of the funds go toward manufacturing/producing said item.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:07 pm
  • Goin in bros. And they accidentally sent me double my order so now I don't have to buy my brother a Xmas gift. Whoop whoop!

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:52 pm
  • I hate you! I haven't received mine yet; and I'm guessing it won't be a double order. :(

Give us an update once you've sampled, and try to do a comparison/taste test against the same thing but untouched, be honest with your feedback, don't let confirmation bias play into it. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:07 pm
  • I'll be honest. I don't really expect to taste a difference so if I do I'll be impressed.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:09 pm
  • I'm anxiously awaiting your findings.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:13 pm
  • And I purposely used a shit whiskey so it should be pretty obvious if it improves it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:27 pm
  • Yeah, the bottle in your pic didn't escape me. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:31 pm
  • There's already black flakes floating around in the bottle. Is that bad? Wait, is that racist?!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:42 pm
  • At least use a shitty scotch!

I use Oak in making beer, you can definitely tell the effect.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:01 pm
  • Anybody have any recommends for what bottle to use when I get mine delivered, hopefully later this week? I'm really not much of a whiskey drinker.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:05 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Anybody have any recommends for what bottle to use when I get mine delivered, hopefully later this week? I'm really not much of a whiskey drinker.

Canadian Mist is my favorite dirt cheap mixing whiskey.

If you can taste a difference using that, then we'll know it's legit.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:08 pm
  • Assuming I get mine in time to do a bottle with it prior to the start of my poker game this Saturday, I plan to do a bit of blind taste testing with some people. I will post results. I'll probably empty about a quarter of the bottle to use as the base/stock comparison and "stick" the rest.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:18 pm
  • Looking forward to the results!

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:36 pm
  • R&R/Canadian Mist/Canadian Club are all really about the same price/flavor/quality. If this shit can turn any of those into a real, drinkable whiskey I'll be super impressed.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm
  • After about 29 hours the whiskey is noticeably smoother. I feel like the flavor profile has changed subtly as well but I'm not doing an A/B test so I won't say anything definitely yet. R&R tends to taste a little fruity to me, that's mellowed out and I feel like I'm getting notes of vanilla and maple, as advertised. I'm no whiskey connoisseur though.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:After about 29 hours the whiskey is noticeably smoother. I feel like the flavor profile has changed subtly as well but I'm not doing an A/B test so I won't say anything definitely yet. R&R tends to taste a little fruity to me, that's mellowed out and I feel like I'm getting notes of vanilla and maple, as advertised. I'm no whiskey connoisseur though.

'Notes' -- do you mean significant flavoring or light hints?

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:01 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:After about 29 hours the whiskey is noticeably smoother. I feel like the flavor profile has changed subtly as well but I'm not doing an A/B test so I won't say anything definitely yet. R&R tends to taste a little fruity to me, that's mellowed out and I feel like I'm getting notes of vanilla and maple, as advertised. I'm no whiskey connoisseur though.

'Notes' -- do you mean significant flavoring or light hints?

I'm sure it's not significant.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:14 pm
  • Another 24 hours and the whiskey has taken on a significant smokey flavor, almost like the flavor of slightly overcooked caramel popcorn, or maybe the flavor of slightly over-roasted marshmallow. Whereas yesterday I was uncertain as to the degree of difference in flavor, tonight there is no question. IMO it has improved the drinkability, at least moderately.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:40 am
  • This is fantastic. I want to buy some.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOW with Modership

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:49 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Another 24 hours and the whiskey has taken on a significant smokey flavor, almost like the flavor of slightly overcooked caramel popcorn, or maybe the flavor of slightly over-roasted marshmallow. Whereas yesterday I was uncertain as to the degree of difference in flavor, tonight there is no question. IMO it has improved the drinkability, at least moderately.

You're doing the lord's work Zeb.
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:19 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:You're doing the lord's work Zeb.

You're forgetting to capitalize "Lord's", Okie. It's more mocking to the religious people that way.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Next

It is currently Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information