Best burger you've ever had

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Best burger you've ever had
Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:16 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:I'm gonna second the nomination for Fat Smitty's up in Port Townsend area.

It's not just greasy fat-laden crap that could give a healthy man a heart attack. I'm not a fan of the fatty burgers with tons of bacon and sauce.

Fat Smittys use quality local beef, it's fresh and lean, all fresh ingredients including the buns, and its about the best goddam thing in the universe after a 5-day hike through the Olympics. Many a hike through the Hoh or Queets, I find myself daydreaming about a smitty burger and it keeps me slogging through the mud. They even have normal sized burgers for those of us who try to avoid obesity.

According to the internet, this is a Fat Smitty burger. No, no bacon or fat in that! Looks good though.

Yeah that's their specialty burger. Like I said though, they've got a regular quarter pounder that is quite delicious, especially after a long grueling hike through the rain forest.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Me too, I swear it says cheese turds.

:pukeface:

Nope. Curds. Quite different from poop.

Not always, some cheese curds truly smell and taste terrible.

:les:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 am
  • By the way, I meant haunted in a good way. I can't get it out of my mind! I. Want.

Mmmmmm, cheese curds, and gravy and fries, and burger. Damn you crazy Canadians!
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 am
  • The Radish wrote:Not always, some cheese curds truly smell and taste terrible.

smegma
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:20 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:By the way, I meant haunted in a good way. I can't get it out of my mind! I. Want.

Mmmmmm, cheese curds, and gravy and fries, and burger. Damn you crazy Canadians!

You know you love us...
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 pm
  • I would like to add the caveat that any burger with a fried egg immediately gains 2 points on the 1 - 10 scale.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:20 pm
  • The Radish wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Me too, I swear it says cheese turds.

Yeah but we're talking about poutine, which is made with the delicious kind.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:42 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    The Radish wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:[quote="The Radish"]Me too, I swear it says cheese turds.

Yeah but we're talking about poutine, which is made with the delicious kind.[/quote]

This is a burger thread. Get that Canadian heroin talk out of here.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:41 pm
  • Big Kahuna Burger.

It's an Hawaiian burger joint. They got some tasty burgers. Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Vincent, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:55 pm
  • That reminds of me of Burger Bar in Tacoma. Little hole in the wall place that has awesome burgers and teriyaki. They have an off-menu item called the big samoan which has like 3 patties, egg, bacon and just about everything else that is amazing.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:That reminds of me of Burger Bar in Tacoma. Little hole in the wall place that has awesome burgers and teriyaki. They have an off-menu item called the big samoan which has like 3 patties, egg, bacon and just about everything else that is amazing.

Where in Tacoma is that? Might need to hit that up one day.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:54 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Big Kahuna Burger.

It's an Hawaiian burger joint. They got some tasty burgers. Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Vincent, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger?

I know you... you used to work at All-American Burger...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:33 am
  • This thread is like a 'to do list'!

Danny's Palm Bar in Coronado, CA is the best I have ever had.

Two local-ish places that everyone should add to their to-do list is:

Burger Express in Federal Way (near home for me - yea!)
    Crazy Eric's in Bremerton
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 am
  • CANHawk wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Big Kahuna Burger.

I know you... you used to work at All-American Burger...

In real life it closed. Its now a coffee shop. Burgers weren't that great or they'd still be open, obviously.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am
  • If you guys want to try something next time you cook up your own...Cook the bacon, cook the onions in some of the bacon grease, melt and mix some peanut butter with the w/ onion & chopped bacon, spread on burger with some cheese like Havarti or swiss. Sounds weird, but is absolute goodness.

And like CAN said, a fried egg is always a good thing.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:13 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:If you guys want to try something next time you cook up your own...

Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:13 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:If you guys want to try something next time you cook up your own...Cook the bacon, cook the onions in some of the bacon grease, melt and mix some peanut butter with the w/ onion & chopped bacon, spread on burger with some cheese like Havarti or swiss. Sounds weird, but is absolute goodness.

And like CAN said, a fried egg is always a good thing.

There is a bar in West Seattle called The Bridge that has something like this. Its called the Elvis something. Pretty good.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:58 pm
  • Hard to beat a good burger down on the Columbia on a sunny day watching all the action on the water at McMenamins on the WA side.

I'm a fan of some of the older places in Clark County. I used to go to Igloo and that place never let me down. I also used to go to Obrady's in Dollars Corner and get the Fat Clancy. That place is being demolished for a road and it's a damn shame. The old Dairy Queen on Main and 4th plain has been mentioned by some in here and it is by far the most unique and best DQ on the planet.

I will confess though, that I eat at Burgerville once too often and I'm a little miffed they tore down the original one on Mill Plain. Still, the Burgerville ingredients are so top quality (and local) that even pregnant women eat it because it's safe and I'll often eat it when sick or hung over. Extremely tasty burgers for fast food. Best there is, IMO, and they got a "Best Better Burger" award from food network. There is no fast food buger joint that is better and the owner has done a lot for downtown renovation in Vancouver. One of the big investors in the Esther Short area where you'll always find people nowadays vs the 90s where it was just crackheads and transients.

BTW, Walla Walla onion rings are back at BV. Better than the ones at The Onion in Spokane, which was my previous favorite Onion Ring, which I don't eat a lot of. Must buy in both cases none the less.
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 pm
  • To answer the question, the best burger I've ever had is always made myself.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:25 pm
  • Fun thread to read. Thanks for all the posts.

I somehow get the idea that 5 guys out west (and perhaps there is simply variation from location to location) isn't the same quality as some of the locations on the East Coast. Not sure how that could be, but perhaps there are different meat suppliers cause such variation? In any case, my family absolutely loves 5 guys. I wondered why some out west said they didn't particularly care for 5 guys... until I noticed when visiting a 5 guys location in another Florida city that the meat wasn't quite the same. The few locations we typically visit in Orlando are great.

My oldest son is the burger connoisseur. He really enjoyed a Buffalo burger he had at a place out on Anna Maria Island. I think Buffalo meat may be a better overall choice. But, still, his favorite is 5 guys which, to me, says a lot about how good 5 guys really is. Too, we must not be in the minority with that since their burgers are continually voted the best in many locations (at least on the east coast.)

From what I remember of In N Out... I think I liked it better than 5 guys. But, we don't have it here.

Just to add something to the conversation in listing non-chain places, there is a place in Ft. Collins that serves up a tasty burger that had a topping we hadn't heard of before (though, I don't know I'd call it the best.): Cooper‘s Burger @ Coopersmith's Pub & Brewing (topped with a scoop of their "world famous" Artichoke Dip.) Give that a try next time you BBQ at home!
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:47 am

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:13 pm
  • Sorry I'm on an Almost Live kick.

The Last Northwestener.... what's one of the things he has to save from the Californians?

A Dick's Deluxe. A Seattle treasure.

1:29 and 2:21
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 am
  • There was a place called Barnacle's in Des Moines that's in this spot that basically is a revolving door at attempts to run a local joint next to Jack in the Box and Red Robin, so it didn't last. So maybe I remember this burger as better than it was just because it was a one-time, short lived thing, but they had their Barnacle burger that had smoked salmon and cream cheese on it...and it changed my life.

Smokey's in Burien on 1st and 128th might be my favorite old fashioned mom and pop type place to get a burger, ate there quite a bit when I was fixing up my grandfather's house when he moved into assisted living before he passed away. Cougar Country in Pullman is also amazing for a hungover day (everyday in Pullman). Also gotta give a shout out to Han's Burgers in Federal Way, but I haven't been there in years, so I'm not sure how much I trust my own endorsement at this point.

I do love me some Dick's, too, probably my favorite place for the typical fast food order an absurd number of sandwiches type of binge place.

I haven't really discovered anything special lately since I've moved into the Greenwood area. Burgermaster was disappointing, and I've mostly just found amazing turkey sandwiches and gyros since then. Somebody start those threads.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:47 am
  • pinksheets wrote:There was a place called Barnacle's in Des Moines that's in this spot that basically is a revolving door at attempts to run a local joint next to Jack in the Box and Red Robin, so it didn't last. So maybe I remember this burger as better than it was just because it was a one-time, short lived thing, but they had their Barnacle burger that had smoked salmon and cream cheese on it...and it changed my life.

Smokey's in Burien on 1st and 128th might be my favorite old fashioned mom and pop type place to get a burger, ate there quite a bit when I was fixing up my grandfather's house when he moved into assisted living before he passed away. Cougar Country in Pullman is also amazing for a hungover day (everyday in Pullman). Also gotta give a shout out to Han's Burgers in Federal Way, but I haven't been there in years, so I'm not sure how much I trust my own endorsement at this point.

I do love me some Dick's, too, probably my favorite place for the typical fast food order an absurd number of sandwiches type of binge place.

I haven't really discovered anything special lately since I've moved into the Greenwood area. Burgermaster was disappointing, and I've mostly just found amazing turkey sandwiches and gyros since then. Somebody start those threads.

If you're in the Greenwood area why haven't you been to 74th Ave Ale House? Sandwiches are great there.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:20 am
  • pinksheets wrote:There was a place called Barnacle's in Des Moines that's in this spot that basically is a revolving door at attempts to run a local joint next to Jack in the Box and Red Robin, so it didn't last. So maybe I remember this burger as better than it was just because it was a one-time, short lived thing, but they had their Barnacle burger that had smoked salmon and cream cheese on it...and it changed my life.

I know that Barnacle place! We always comment on it as we drive by, wondering what the deal is. Looks like an interesting building/space. But have never seen it open.

And I agree about Burgermaster, I've been going to the one in Kirkland since high school. Burgers are disappointing, but the shakes and fries are good.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:22 pm
  • The Radish wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:There was a place called Barnacle's in Des Moines that's in this spot that basically is a revolving door at attempts to run a local joint next to Jack in the Box and Red Robin, so it didn't last. So maybe I remember this burger as better than it was just because it was a one-time, short lived thing, but they had their Barnacle burger that had smoked salmon and cream cheese on it...and it changed my life.

If you're in the Greenwood area why haven't you been to 74th Ave Ale House? Sandwiches are great there.

I've actually been meaning to. I live on 95th, so I'm not usually up that far, but whenever I pass by it on the bus I think about how I've got to go there. I'll be going soon.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:25 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:There was a place called Barnacle's in Des Moines that's in this spot that basically is a revolving door at attempts to run a local joint next to Jack in the Box and Red Robin, so it didn't last. So maybe I remember this burger as better than it was just because it was a one-time, short lived thing, but they had their Barnacle burger that had smoked salmon and cream cheese on it...and it changed my life.

I know that Barnacle place! We always comment on it as we drive by, wondering what the deal is. Looks like an interesting building/space. But have never seen it open.

And I agree about Burgermaster, I've been going to the one in Kirkland since high school. Burgers are disappointing, but the shakes and fries are good.

It's closed now. It used to be Boston Pizza, which was there for years, but since they closed, it seems nobody has been able to find success in that spot. I think a new business has already moved in, but I might be wrong.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 pm
  • Burgermaster gets the whole concept of the burger wrong. They make a sick grilled cheese and the fries and shakes are good. But if I'm eating in my car, which is the whole experience, then i don't want a messy burger.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:56 pm
  • I was always enjoyed Rons in the Spokane Valley when I lived there. Herfys @ Lea Hill in Auburn is my place now.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:12 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:You guys ever hit up the Burger Stop just off the I-5 north of Marysville? The one attached to the Shell station? I try to hit that sucka up every time I come down for a Hawks game or the outlet mall in Tulalip. Only problem though is I don't ever remember what exit it is, then I get distracted and forget to look for it. Then I zoom past it. Then I say "SHIT!" Then I realize there isn't a place to turn around for like 3 miles. Then I make this face: :( Then I buy an underwhelming $15 burger at the stadium...

That Burger Stop burger is a tasty little meat bomb for sure!

I know exactly what you're talking about. Had to make a pitstop there while working in the area. The burger was just okay tho.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm
  • I just ate at Gordon Ramsay's Burgr (spelled that way) in the Planet Hollywood casino in Vegas last week. It was amazing, and I'd bet Radish's life it's better than any burger listed in this thread thus far. Ate there with three friends, and we were all blown away. It was amazing.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 am
  • I'm gunna brag. I grill mine over mesquite. Patty made of hand picked prime sirloin. I mix a 50/50 blend of chopped smoked brisket (Texas style BBQ) and the sirloin. Dress it however you like. I do Blue cheese crumbles and avocado. I've eaten many even gourmet burgers, but this is My Fav. My favorite fast food burger is FIVE GUYS. Started by Mark Mosley (of Redskins fame) and 4 of his buds.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:32 am
  • Anyone remember Flakey Jakes?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:46 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Anyone remember Flakey Jakes?

Yup that place is old school. It was on Sepulveda I believe. Were they in PNW too? Not all that.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I just ate at Gordon Ramsay's Burgr (spelled that way) in the Planet Hollywood casino in Vegas last week. It was amazing, and I'd bet Radish's life it's better than any burger listed in this thread thus far. Ate there with three friends, and we were all blown away. It was amazing.

Planet Hollywood, didn't that used to be the Aladin? That's where my wife and I always stayed, when her grandma lived down there. Was a cool place, we liked it, never understood why they had issues and had to sell out or change.

But I can see ol' Ramsay making a damn good burger, want to try that!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:50 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I just ate at Gordon Ramsay's Burgr (spelled that way) in the Planet Hollywood casino in Vegas last week. It was amazing, and I'd bet Radish's life it's better than any burger listed in this thread thus far. Ate there with three friends, and we were all blown away. It was amazing.

Yup I had the lamb burger at his Caesars pub, it was out of this world!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:29 pm
  • Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill and Gordon Ramsay Steak are both on my list for the next Vegas trip.

@Twisted, IDK if that was the Aladdin or not, Planet Hollywood has been there since I've been going to Vegas, (6-7 years now) and I really like it. However, the MGM Grand is the best place on the strip for anyone who likes to play roulette.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:52 pm
  • You should try the Reuben at the Desert Inn
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:28 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill and Gordon Ramsay Steak are both on my list for the next Vegas trip.

@Twisted, IDK if that was the Aladdin or not, Planet Hollywood has been there since I've been going to Vegas, (6-7 years now) and I really like it. However, the MGM Grand is the best place on the strip for anyone who likes to play roulette.

Gordon Ramsay Steak was phenomenal when I tried it out earlier this year. Make sure to try the Sticky Toffee Pudding, it's probably the best dessert I've ever had. I'm definitely wanting to try Burgr on my next trip, I've heard some pretty good things from a few friends.
    mbtitleist
    NET Rookie

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:54 pm
  • My favorite drive thru burger is a from Culvers. The butter burger w cheese curds yumm
    TLD0550
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:17 pm
  • The Onion here in Spokane offers a wonderful line of burgers.

But one place I've never had one from and would love to is In and Out. I wish they were closer because I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Of course they aren't a gourmet place like many talked about here.

We have tried Fat Burgers and Five Guys all because of members here mentioning them. We were underwhelmed with both. They have lots of wonderful condiments but burger wise I wasn't to impressed.

Of course my wife eats burgers and steaks for the condiments where I eat them for the taste of the sandwich or steak. lol We make good burgers here at home but she has to have pickles, onions, lettuce, miracle whip or Mayo, and anything else handy.

Me I like plain old burgers with perhaps a bit of onion and some mustard.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:15 pm
  • The Radish wrote:The Onion here in Spokane offers a wonderful line of burgers.

But one place I've never had one from and would love to is In and Out. I wish they were closer because I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Of course they aren't a gourmet place like many talked about here.

We have tried Fat Burgers and Five Guys all because of members here mentioning them. We were underwhelmed with both. They have lots of wonderful condiments but burger wise I wasn't to impressed.

Of course my wife eats burgers and steaks for the condiments where I eat them for the taste of the sandwich or steak. lol We make good burgers here at home but she has to have pickles, onions, lettuce, miracle whip or Mayo, and anything else handy.

Me I like plain old burgers with perhaps a bit of onion and some mustard.

The Onion sucks.

Yes for a fast food burger In & Out is great. You won't be disappointed.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:44 pm
  • Okay, I find myself having to make the drive from Sammamish to Mount Vernon every weekend to support my recently acquired paintball addiction.

What's the best burger joint between Everett and Mount Vernon? Relying on some of you northern natives to help me out here.

Had a good one at the Pilchuck Drive In but I'd like something that's not quite so far off of I-5.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pilchuck-drive-in-snohomish

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:53 pm
  • Best burger, man that's like asking which kid is your favorite. At the top of my list would be "the ranch drive in" in downtown Bothell. Get their early and expect to wait 20 minutes but they are really burgers, great fries and I hear the shakes are even better.

For fast burgers, it's hard to beat the western bacon cheese burger from Carl's Junior. It's not as good as what I remembered from my HS days, but it's still tasty. McD's burgers suck, the whopper is a solid last minute choice.
    My experience with 5 guys in Bothell was good except that it took 20 minutes to receive my to go order and the small order of fry's was huge. An hour after eating this grease laden meal it felt like I ate a brick.

Dick's burgers are better than Everett Herfies ( but Herfies had the cars and like mentioned, street racing on the Boeing freeway afterwards) and Joey in Bellevue has solid burgers and fantastic scenery. Just don't make the mistake of taking your wife to Joey. It's like a classy Hooters.
    irocdave
    NET Starter

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:00 am
  • irocdave wrote: Just don't make the mistake of taking your wife to Joey. It's like a classy Hooters.

And when he says "classy" he means hot waitresses and decent food.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:07 pm
  • Shake Shack in NYC is easily one of the best I have ever had.

And if you are in Spokane be sure to check out Waddell's. Awesome burgers with lots of different topping choices. If you prefer fast food burgers Thrifty Scotsman is a winner.
    drcool
    NET Rookie

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:25 pm
  • Mooyah is the best I've had so far. They're always made to order and they taste fantastic. Very comparable to five guys, but we don't have those here in Billings. I see Mooyahs are starting to show up in WA, so maybe somebody else here has tried them. They're cheap too...I never pay more than $8 for a double bacon cheeseburger that has everything on it including fried onion strings.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information