The next new cellphone thread. Galaxy S4 on Verizon

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Well, my Galaxy Nexus took a 12-foot drop from the apartment balcony to the shop floor the other day. Needless to say, it is toast. So, off to Verizon I went and emerged with the new S4.

This phone ROCKS!

OK, so the coolest thing I've noticed is they eye recognition. It has its quirks, but in the right lighting it will know when to scroll the webpage for you. It's fun to mess with, but I turned it off since I wear glasses it gets false signals. Large memory, very fast, does all the latest stuff... I really like it. I'm told I need to actually read the manual to get everything out of it as it has so many cool features.

So far, not much to complain about with this thing, but pretty much just got it set up. Anybody else got one?
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• Not yet, but I'm eligible for an upgrade in about a month. If you could continue to update this thread with your thoughts as you continue to use the phone, I'd really appreciate that, since the S4 is on my list of potential upgrades.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Finally moved on from my Nexus One to the S4 on ATT. Love it, just disable the ATT bloat. Tried all the Samsung goodies (gestures, air view, etc.) but eventually turned it off, but I'm sure others might find it useful. People complain about the plastic body, but who doesn't put a good case on a good phone anyway? Get the S4 Otterbox defender case (solid).
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:Well, my Galaxy Nexus took a 12-foot drop from the apartment balcony to the shop floor the other day. Needless to say, it is toast. So, off to Verizon I went and emerged with the new S4.

This phone ROCKS!

OK, so the coolest thing I've noticed is they eye recognition. It has its quirks, but in the right lighting it will know when to scroll the webpage for you. It's fun to mess with, but I turned it off since I wear glasses it gets false signals. Large memory, very fast, does all the latest stuff... I really like it. I'm told I need to actually read the manual to get everything out of it as it has so many cool features.

So far, not much to complain about with this thing, but pretty much just got it set up. Anybody else got one?

I am posting from one right now. It is my second Samsung and I like it plenty. The facial recognition is very cool. We were able to fake it out with a pic on another phone, but then found the option to require a blink. Very cool indeed. Very powerful too. Have yet to slow it down.

The kids HTC One is pretty good too.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I have the Galaxy Note II, which is more or less the "phablet" version of the S4 with basically the same specs, but a larger battery and screen size. Samsung makes a hell of a good phone nowadays, and the only gripe I have is the plastic casing, as you mentioned. I am using a case to take care of that, though. I highly recommend the ROCK cases. (Most cases are soft/flexible, which I can't stand; the style on this link is very hard and firm, which I prefer.) Here's one for the S4, I have the Galaxy Note II version: http://www.amazon.com/Quicksand-Slim-Sa ... +galaxy+s4

Are you going to root your phone?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Rock cases are good but the otter defender series is a bit moreso. Hard casing (+ screen cover) surrounded by nice sealing and thick rubber outer shell. Great for these phones. Lifetime warranty too. They always promptly sent me replacements for my nexus one (thing is in like new condition because of it). Take a peek at them.
    Last edited by hawkfan1975 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• Otter is definitely more protective, it's also significantly more bulk on your phone. The hardshell ones like ROCK are very thin and don't add much in terms of bulk.

All comes down to preference.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Yeah, there's a bit more bulk (which I planned for as the S4 feels paper flimsy without a case) but not that much. But the Otter protects like a mother!
    Honestly, I almost went for the Optimus G Pro (phablet) but didn't feel Otter was going to make a defender for it. Saw it for the S4 and chose it instead. The case sort of decided my move from my old a** (but still working and worthy, believe it or not) Nexus One.

I'm sure you've seen but,
    Otter for the note 2: http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender ... box+note+2
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• Don't think I'm going to root it.

As far as the case, dude showed me options but because I need to un-holster and answer with one hand I went to the standard protection kit with the screen protectors and belt clip. The cases seem too bulky to me.

Hooked it up to the pc yesterday and moved some stuff back and forth to populate my pics gallery and so forth. So far so good. I have noticed that I'm getting some white page errors as I navigate back and forth on this site. Clears right up on a refresh.

A setting to allow a bit more load time maybe?

HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• Install Chrome Beta from the Play Store and use that as your browser. You can sign into it and it'll pull all your saved passwords, bookmarks, etc. from your desktop Chrome browser, as long as you're signed into both of them. (Assuming you use Chrome on a desktop.)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• All righty then, I'll give it a try. Always been an IE guy.

HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:All righty then, I'll give it a try. Always been an IE guy.

Yuck. Why?
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• CANHawk wrote:
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:All righty then, I'll give it a try. Always been an IE guy.

Yuck. Why?

Old dogs, new tricks, yada yada.

HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• Yeah chrome is good (but if you're wanting to play with the samsung stuff like the "jedi wave" to switch tabs, scroll, etc. you'll need to use the built in browser, which is also very good btw).
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:All righty then, I'll give it a try. Always been an IE guy.

Yuck. Why?

Old dogs, new tricks, yada yada.

When did you stop using Mosaic? 2003?
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Mosaic? I don't even know what that is...

It's a kind of ceramic tile, right?

HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• dont forget to mention how American carriers suck and dont want to get true 4G LTE so we got stuck with the QUad-core while the rest of the planet got the Exynos octo-core S4
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Axx, I think you mixed up your reasoning. The international variant of the Galaxy S has had a better SoC than the U.S. version on a couple of releases because the U.S. has LTE and most of the world does not. We're penalized for being ahead of the game with our LTE. (Despite behind the times on cost of service.)

Besides, it's not really an octo-core SoC. I mean, it is, but you can only ever use four at once; the high-performance set or the power-saving set. It's nowhere near the difference the Galaxy S3 release was. (Quad-core international, dual-core U.S.)

I wouldn't sweat it. There's a good chance the Galaxy S5 will have a matching international/U.S. SoC with the rise of LTE around the world that is happening.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information