Nerd-Off: Django vs Rails

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Nerd-Off: Django vs Rails
Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:00 am
  • I'm about a year off from finishing my programming degree (Yeah, yeah, I go back to school and reinvent a lot). The curriculum itself is a bit dated... well, a lot dated. I'm going through quite possibly the worst class I've EVER been through at the moment. My textbook, printed in 2013 and costing 90 bucks, actually spends a chapter rambling on about Firefox 2 vs Internet Explorer 7.

I'm looking at adding a language+framework, and I'm looking in particular at Python and Ruby. Now, from what I can tell it's almost a toss-up of varying pros and cons as to which is 'Better', and I'm not really interested in that debate. I'm just curious who prefers which and why without trying to get into The Fight.

Comparison job market might be worth talking about, too, though just talking about pure numbers PHP is going to blow both of 'em away, so it's not JUST about employability after graduation.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Nerd-Off: Django vs Rails
Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:18 am
  • A friend of mine that makes well into 6 figures as a Linux software developer would say Python.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:A friend of mine that makes well into 6 figures as a Linux software developer would say Python.

Rackspace is right down the street... they seem pretty Python friendly. (Though, weirdly, there's quite a few postings for Ruby developers with the caveat that they should be willing to learn Python, heh.)
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:43 am
  • Python is a must, and if you can build with JS, you're going to be set for a long time as so many things run client side now.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:51 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:Python is a must, and if you can build with JS, you're going to be set for a long time as so many things run client side now.

Been having waaaay too much fun with JQuery.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:53 pm
  • Django is the best web framework in existence, bar none. It has loads of moving parts and is a total bitch to properly tune, but it is capable of high concurrency due to the nature of Python's ability to pre-compile and cache opcodes natively. PHP is definitely worth knowing for its popularity and high functionality, but Python and Java are still the king for high concurrency back end work.

If you want to have marketability, go with PHP. If you want to be a systems engineering god, go with Python, Java, and Django as the framework/CME.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:13 pm
  • Well, PHP is a given with my program -- Next semester is loaded down with a ton of it.

Fall '13:
    Class 1: PHP/MySQL
    Class 2: Straight-up SQL
    Class 3: VB.NET (Meh.)
    Class 4: Linux+/LPIC

Semester after that, double down on PHP and .NET. Spent a semester with Java -- comparing to the C++ afterward... Initially liked C++ better for syntax, then it started to feel clunky when delving a bit more into OOP, while Java was definitely friendlier. Between Python and Ruby so far, I think I -prefer- Ruby's syntax (Those for loops are great, for example). VB.NET syntax I haaaaaate.

In conclusion, I think I -like- more truncated syntax and don't care how cryptic it ends up seeming. But syntax -really- isn't that that big of a deal. Interesting to hear about Django, as so far I've seem to hear more people going on about Rails, but the side-by-side comparison really doesn't seem to merit it.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 pm

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information