Laptop water damage question

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Laptop water damage question
Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:15 pm
  • My folks gave me my dads laptop to work on a bit and see if I can fix. Mom spilled a bit of water on the keyboard, now the screen is black when turned on. I tried taking the battery out and the covers off and hit it with a cool blow dryer before letting them rest all day.

When it turns on, I see a cursor in the top left for a few seconds, and then nothing. The screen is lit but there is no display, and the laptop sounds like it is functioning normally. I plugged in my monitor and got the same result. Obviously water and electronics don't mix, but I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion? Thanks!
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Re: Laptop water damage question
Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:34 pm
  • Probably shorted something. Most likely, you're hosed. If a laptop is off when the water is spilled on it, you can nearly drench a laptop and it'll still be fine if turned back on AFTER it's 100% dry again, but black capacitors and the like aren't really fixable without spending more than it's worth. You can take it to a computer repair shop and they can find out what needs to be replaced for sure, but it'll likely cost hundreds just to find out; and then what needs to be replaced might be hundreds more yet.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 am
  • I bought a new laptop last fall. The friggin thing was working great, then the next time I turned it on, no screen, I could hear it booting up, but black as the ace of spades, no water spilled on it.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 am
  • Option 1) Sell it on E-bay for parts...maybe the screen is still good.

Option 2) Maybe you could find a used laptop that is the same model and swap hard drives.

Option 3) Get it fixed. Some places charge $600 to fix lap tops, I got my laptop fixed for $200, not sure if it was worth it.
    mikehawks
    NET Rookie

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:15 am
  • Largent80 wrote:I bought a new laptop last fall. The friggin thing was working great, then the next time I turned it on, no screen, I could hear it booting up, but black as the ace of spades, no water spilled on it.

Have you tried plugging in an external monitor?
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:21 am
  • taz291819 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I bought a new laptop last fall. The friggin thing was working great, then the next time I turned it on, no screen, I could hear it booting up, but black as the ace of spades, no water spilled on it.

Have you tried plugging in an external monitor?

Not yet, I was pissed and its been sitting there since I discovered it was toast, but I will try it.

** EDIT** I just plugged it into another monitor and the screen is up, so at least the comp. is ok, now how to fix it?

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:11 am
  • The ribbon cable connecting the LCD display to the motherboard may have come loose, happened to my sisters laptop just from opening and closing the lid over time. Took it apart, re-seated the ribbon cable, and it worked like a charm after that.

Search for your laptop model on Youtube, I'm sure there are videos showing exactly how to do it.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:50 am
  • Thanks Taz

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:41 pm
  • Don't mess with it, wrap it in a blanket and throw it in your closet for about 2-3 weeks then try turning it on again.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:38 pm
  • The cursor thing leads me to believe no amount of dry out time will help, unless of course it's still wet? Depends on the type of water too....DI, no problem, tap hmmm...., gatorade? you're effed. Cursor and blank leads me to the mobo. If it's still wet internally then maybe it'll work when it dries (Trying to power it up could be bad for it's long term survival..) If it's totally dry then you're probably screwed(HD is prob. ok tho) stick it in some tupperware with some desiccant to be sure.

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:19 am
  • Thanks guys, I figured it was toast since they tried to boot it up not long after the water was spilled. Worth a shot though. Going to let it sit a while in a dry environment and give it another shot at the end of the month, but I think Pops is just going to buy a new one anyway.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:26 am
  • Put it in a garbage bag with a couple pounds of rice. (Seriously, uncooked rice pulls moisture like crazy.)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:18 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Put it in a garbage bag with a couple pounds of rice. (Seriously, uncooked rice pulls moisture like crazy.)

Indeed it does. Rice is quite an effective dessicant. If there are any silica gel packets lying around (those packs of little beads with the Mr. Yuk sticker on them), those are also very effective at drying out things which have been dropped into the drink.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:19 am
  • Axx wrote:Don't mess with it, wrap it in a blanket and throw it in your closet for about 2-3 weeks then try turning it on again.

Electronics love static electricity, make sure it's a nice thick wool blanket and rub it around a lot.

Uncooked rice is the water-sucker of choice for electronics.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 am
  • Go here Matt, they sell rice in 50 & 100lb bags. lol

Probably way to late for that.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information