Are there words that you find offensive?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13

Do words offend you?

I'm offended by no words
38%
I'm offended by certain words, but only in certain context
52%
I'm offended by certain words no matter the context
10%

Total votes : 42

Are there words that you find offensive?
Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:47 pm
  • How do you feel?

I'm hoping to keep this PG.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Do you mean like "Apple", "Mac", "IPhone", "IPad" etc.?
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Its all about context. I have no problem with the word Harbaugh. But if you put the word Jim in front of it, it makes me want to choke a kitten
    Hawkfan509
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• @roland

Roger Goodell. :grin:
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Was a salesman to long to be bothered my many words tho there are some contexts some are used in that make me cringe.

If they are in jokes or story telling little bothers me.
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I don't get offended on behalf of people, but I recognize there are many words that are offensive to different groups of people.

I don't get offended really by any words. Actions and stupidity offend me far more than words.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Kidhawk, I love you.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I've served in the military, so I'm beyond being offended by cuss words even though I don't use them myself.

I do get offended by the slurs that high schoolers use to bully others with.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• The Radish wrote:
    If they are in jokes or story telling little bothers me.

Based upon the new scars that I put on my tongue every time you post one of those "jokes" in the Shack, I know that all too well!
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

• Depends on context, though I suppose that means the hateful intent is more what offends me.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Its pretty damn hard to offend me. I mind my own business and I pretty much allow others to mind their own business in actions, speech, etc, etc.

Even though it doesn't offend me I don't particularly enjoy being around people that curse a lot.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Seems like everyone says words that offend other people and then have their own selfish reasons for getting offended at other ones. I say none of us get offended by words and we'll all be better off. Words are just words.

This is an interesting topic. Take a word like "retard" for example. That offends some people. When I ask people why that's such an offensive word, they respond with "Because of the negativity in which its used". Okay...so we don't like the negativity...but what is wrong with the actual word itself? Because people can use other synonyms with just as much hatred...and they do...and now we are seeing some of the replacement words getting the same backlash as retard got. I guess the cycle will just continue...

When we take certain words and label them as "bad words", then we are basically saying "Yes, we are afraid of these words. Lets just pretend they don't exist." But then that just gives those words that much extra power for being bad, because nobody becomes accustomed to them except in negative situations, for example a child being punished for saying the f word. If we would all just embrace these words and accept them and use them, we would have less of a problem getting offended as a society.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Uvula. Corn rows. Bulbous. Mayonnaise.

That's about it.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Words suck.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• JSeahawks wrote:Its pretty damn hard to offend me. I mind my own business and I pretty much allow others to mind their own business in actions, speech, etc, etc.

Even though it doesn't offend me I don't particularly enjoy being around people that curse a lot.

Well what a %@#&##%#@#^^*++@%%$ lousy attitude that is.

:D
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Hawk Strap wrote:Uvula. Corn rows. Bulbous. Mayonnaise.

That's about it.

You can stand epiglottis...err, i mean e*******s? You're a braver man than I.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Someday man will evolve to just reading thoughts. Then taking offense will finally be legitimate.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Me?
    Words?
    Offended?

$$^*(@^$)*^$)#*@^)!*&^%%$($^%%)%^)%%#*^%$@&^^*@#@#$#%%
    {censored}
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Someday man will evolve to just reading thoughts. Then taking offense will finally be legitimate.

The world will become a better place, because everyone will be forced to learn how to actually handle criticism.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• You will likely find this corny.... but as somebody who has spent their adult life teaching young children, I was always amazed at the amount of teachers who would give the ol' "sticks and stones, sticks and stones". Then I was reading an Ann Landers at some point, and I cut it out and hung it up in my classroom. A 2nd grade teacher was going on and on and on about how "sticks and stones, sticks and stones" and a little girl spoke up and said, "Teacher... I have my own saying. Sticks and Stones can break your bones, but words can break your heart."

That has stuck with me for 20 years, and it is as powerful today as it was then. If I hear a word said that causes a child pain, then I get offended. I am offended that a kid was introduced to such a word and understands the connotation behind it. I am offended that another kid understands just how they are being insulted. Kids shouldn't be shut in and sheltered from reality, but it really is not cool when a 2nd grader is broken hearted over what somebody else says. Yes, logically they should realize it's a "word" and not harmful, but most kids I know say, "I wished they had just punched me, because at least then it goes away. That name follows me around."

And the cycle of bullying and awfulness starts and never really seems to let up. It's sad. So yes, I get offended that kids have to deal with such things. As an adult... do what you want, but let the kids live in peace. No 7 year old should have to feel like somebody is going to call them every name in the book because they heard it at home, in musice, on a movie, or their parents encouraged it because they thought it was "cute" or "funny" to hear a 7 year old dropping f-bombs. That's the part that offends me. People have no common sense it seems.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• The "sticks and stones" saying is asinine, because virtually every one of us has been hurt far more by something non-physical (break-up with a beloved g/f, parent dying in a bad way, etc.) than by something physical. I don't mean to diminish anyone's physical pain if they have some serious problems with their body or anything, but I think you know what I mean.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• The part I don't understand is why there's a need to shield people from being offended. Obviously, there's extreme words/scenarios with a clear intent of harm. But, in todays society, there's faux outrage over accidental or perceived offense. Its assinine.

There's also a double standard. I did a little stand up, and, in general, it was a "no-no" to use the "N" word as white AND unfunny. Okay, fine, but when/if I did use a slur it was part of an act. How is that any different than an actor saying it, or screenwriter writing it? Its not.

Brett Ratner lost the Oscar gig for saying "fag" on radio. If he had an actor say "fag" in Tower Heist, that's "okay".

My point? I'm dumb, so there's not a point. Other than most of the "offended" aren't really offended.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Ryan... not to diminish what you're saying and possibly offend you in some way (heh heh), but have you found your views on certain things (whether words or not.... but say violence, or just general jackassery) has changed since you became a father?

I know we can't protect our kids from it forever, and they live in a real world, where real awful crap happens, and people get hurt. But does your heart ache a little at certain situations and you just think, "Now's not the time for this"? I just am honestly wondering if I went through some magical transformation the day I became a fourth grade teacher, and it only deepened nine years ago when my son was born and then even to another level entirely four years ago when my daughter was born, or what the hell happened? I just seem to be a totally different person. I am not "offended" by much of anything. Try being a Mormon. We're nailed with a constant barrage of silliness (and that's how I take it, because I know people are just messing with me to get a rise). But the kid thing is something that has really changed for me. I don't do the mock "offense" and overly PC bologna. There are just some things that set me off. I find I've turned into that old man who yells at the teenagers speeding through the neighborhood and throws a rock at their car to get their attention. I don't know if that is offense really, but I get really agitated. I just can't stand it when a kid comes to me and tells me their parent called them every name in the book and they feel worthless. It makes me angry. I guess that's offense. I get offended for others then. It has been steadily building for about the last 15 or so years, and it is out of character for me, but I think the kid thing just changes the whole conversation.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• I haven't really changed my stance on things, YET. I'm sure it'll come soon. For now, I'm able to keep my douchey, self-important view. BUT, my daughter's still young and sheltered.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Maybe it'd be different if I had daughters.

Hell, half of the time if anyone is pressuring or offending my kids... It's me. Don't have time to write out the novel length rant version, but basically: I challenge them without malicious intent, knowing what they can usually handle and to what degree going beyond that will move toward making them better equipped with the real world version of Dealing with Morons and Jackasses.

I suppose I end up thrown over into Bad Parent territory, but I 'shelter' my kids minimally if at all. I'll let em deal, assuming nobody is about to literally get killed, then ask 'em about their thoughts, reasons, etc later. Why did you think he said that? What's it mean to you? Why?

Again, maybe it'd be different with a daughter, but I like to think I'd want a girl every bit as thoughtful/self-reliant/tough as any dude. Hell, more so.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Whenever Hawkstrap says something sucks.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Yes, "Jim Harbaugh".
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• "Offense is the collateral damage of free speech" - Ricky Gervais, yesterday, on Opie and Anthony.

Brilliant.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• "Please get out of the car." I hate hearing that expression!
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• LymonHawk wrote:"Please get out of the car." I hate hearing that expression!

I hate it more when it's "OUT OF THE CAR!! NOW!!!"

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information