The new Mac Pro

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
The new Mac Pro
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 pm
  • http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Drool. Want so bad. :stirthepot:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Re: The new Mac Pro
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:29 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Drool. Want so bad. :stirthepot:

Why? You can get a PC with the same capabilities for half as much. All you miss out on is a pretty case in which to enclose it. If you're dead set on getting a Mac, you can build a so-called "Hackintosh" that runs both Windows and MacOS.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:33 pm
  • I'm willing to pay more for a superior product. This is art.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:I'm willing to pay more for a superior product. This is art.

Exactly my point. Why pay that kind of money for something that uses the same crappy OEM components as every other computer manufacturer? The only way you can get a superior product in a new PC is by using superior quality components. OEMs like Apple use the cheapest possible components in order to maximize the profit from their crappy hardware. Other than a matter of subjective aesthetics, there is nothing superior about this tube-shaped computer case.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:54 pm
  • Dude, this is the future. I want an Apple!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:55 pm
  • He's just trolling you, Smokin'. Looking for rises out of me, you, and a couple others. When a friend linked me to it earlier, I thought it was seriously a joke.

"VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 pm
  • :snack:
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:58 pm
  • :lol:

Sorry, I was bored!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:01 pm
  • In addition to being art from an aesthetic perspective, it would appear it's thermal art to boot. Depending of course on where the power supply lives.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:41 pm
  • Thermal art would be the new gaming ultrabook from Asus. Good GPU power in an ultrabook form factor is incredibly impressive from a "cooling the GPU" standpoint.

You can certainly call this new Mac Pro art, but I hardly think "thermal art" applies.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:32 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Thermal art would be the new gaming ultrabook from Asus. Good GPU power in an ultrabook form factor is incredibly impressive from a "cooling the GPU" standpoint.

You can certainly call this new Mac Pro art, but I hardly think "thermal art" applies.

Seen the specs for the new Asus G750? They're coming on strong with that laptop.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:56 pm
  • You done baited yourself a rube, Twisted. Nicely done.

I hate you all (not really), but at least I'll sleep just a little better tonight knowing there will be one fewer Mac Pro sold.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm
  • @Taz: Yes, I have; and yes, they are. They're really starting to grow in public perception for "regular" laptops, too. I say full speed ahead.

To: Smokin', with love.

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 pm
  • A dubious honor I will wear with shame.

Upon actually reading the info, it would seem that this thing is little more than a previous generation Intel workstation/server class mainboard and CPU combination, housed in a case that resembles the bastard lovechild of a cheap subwoofer tube and a toilet bowl.

Apple is clearly grasping at straws. They are actually hailing a redesigned fan as a triumph of engineering and ingenuity. A fan, err, in Apple fanboy speak, a high efficiency convective apparatus, is the one piece of engineering for which they are responsible.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm
  • I can already taste the tears of Mac fanboys that buy this to try and play games on when they realize it has 2D workstation GPUs in it, which you can't replace. The only thing you can replace/upgrade is the RAM, haha.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I can already taste the tears of Mac fanboys that buy this to try and play games on when they realize it has 2D workstation GPUs in it, which you can't replace. The only thing you can replace/upgrade is the RAM, haha.

But it has 40 jiggabits of 3rd generation PCI express!

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 pm
  • AND 1.21 JIGAWATTS OF ELECTRICITY IN THE POWER SUPPLY
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:03 am
  • Gotta give the Devil his due though; that Apple marketing machine is really something else. Reading that page you'd come away thinking that thing could cure cancer AND give you a BJ!
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 am
  • Apple's best product has always been its advertising. I've been saying that for a lot of years. It trumps any actual physical product they have ever made.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Apple's best product has always been its advertising. I've been saying that for a lot of years. It trumps any actual physical product they have ever made.

You know, for kids!

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 am
  • The iPod was it's best product. But it only took other companies a year or two to really match the size, intuitive nature and durability of that product.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 am
  • Creative Labs already had a robustly built MP3 player with similar storage sizes before the iPod. What they didn't have was a user interface worth mentioning. A good, simplistic UI is what made the iPod a game-changer, along with Apple's marketing.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Apple's best product has always been its advertising. I've been saying that for a lot of years. It trumps any actual physical product they have ever made.

You know, for kids!

lol. YES!
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:09 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Creative Labs already had a robustly built MP3 player with similar storage sizes before the iPod. What they didn't have was a user interface worth mentioning. A good, simplistic UI is what made the iPod a game-changer, along with Apple's marketing.

I bet you had a Zune.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:14 am
  • CANHawk wrote:I bet you had a Zune.

You lose the bet. What do I receive? I've never owned a Zune. In fact, I haven't owned a dedicated MP3 player since my Creative Labs 40GB one that I bought like...8 years ago?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 am
  • Who needs a dedicated music device anymore? What is this, 2008?
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 am
  • Apparently, Zeb. My music's in the cloud, where it should be.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:31 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Apparently, Zeb. My music's in the cloud, where it should be.

That's very possessive of you.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:That's very possessive of you.

Congratulations on understanding the fact that I own my music. Well, most of it. I am in the multi-year process of replacing my pirated stuff with legitimate stuff (probably 75% of the way there) ever since I've been able to buy DRM-free music easily.

Congratulations again on understanding that the word "my" implies ownership. My, you done all growed up!
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 pm
  • Who needs pirating when you have Spotify.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm
  • The iPod does something which I've yet to find on any other music playback device. This almost sounds nitpicky, but it's not for me, due to the way I like to listen to music. When I put on a track, I usually put on the entire album and listen to it from start to finish. The iPod products are able to seamlessly transition from one song to the next without stopping, popping, clicking, etc, and that is an important feature for those of us who enjoy listening to albums that transition seamlessly from song to song (think Pink Floyd: The Wall).

So far, I have yet to find another product which will seamlessly transition from song to song while also integrating with my car stereo (the other most important feature).

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:The iPod does something which I've yet to find on any other music playback device. This almost sounds nitpicky, but it's not for me, due to the way I like to listen to music. When I put on a track, I usually put on the entire album and listen to it from start to finish. The iPod products are able to seamlessly transition from one song to the next without stopping, popping, clicking, etc, and that is an important feature for those of us who enjoy listening to albums that transition seamlessly from song to song (think Pink Floyd: The Wall).

So far, I have yet to find another product which will seamlessly transition from song to song while also integrating with my car stereo (the other most important feature).

Power amp for android does
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:52 am
  • Poweramp is a pretty sick music app, if you play music on your device. I wish Google's Play Music service offered an API that Poweramp could use. The customization is pretty awesome in that app.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:That's very possessive of you.

Congratulations on understanding the fact that I own my music. Well, most of it. I am in the multi-year process of replacing my pirated stuff with legitimate stuff (probably 75% of the way there) ever since I've been able to buy DRM-free music easily.

Congratulations again on understanding that the word "my" implies ownership. My, you done all growed up!

Man you crack me up! :lol:
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:36 am
  • Who wants to wager that the new Mac pro is going to exceed the $6000 mark?
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Smoke wrote:Who wants to wager that the new Mac pro is going to exceed the $6000 mark?

Worth it!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Smoke wrote:Who wants to wager that the new Mac pro is going to exceed the $6000 mark?

Worth it!

Apple offers a payment plan. No biggie!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:31 pm
  • Smoke wrote:Who wants to wager that the new Mac pro is going to exceed the $6000 mark?

If you get it with all the bells and whistles, it'll go for over $10k, just like the last Mac Pro.

The barebones version is all you need for music production (and actually, it's overkill), but for video production, you'd want the real deal. The problem is, you're then stuck with it, you can't even upgrade the video card, unless you use a Thunderbolt based GPU, which don't even exist for the public yet.

Since I work in video production, I purchase a new laptop every two years. Normally spend around $1600 or so, and always stick with the Asus G-series. Hell, my G55 runs circles around my co-workers' Mac Books, and it cost nearly half the price. And when I upgrade again in a year and half, I'll get the newest tech, but they'll still be stuck with their MBPs for another 2 years after that. I honestly don't get their way of thinking sometimes.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:41 pm
  • taz291819 wrote:I honestly don't get their way of thinking sometimes.

But but but

It's a Mac Pro. I see them in TV shows and movies and stuff, they must be the best!
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:04 pm
  • Fess up... Who bought a Zune.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:52 pm
  • sturg78 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:The iPod does something which I've yet to find on any other music playback device. This almost sounds nitpicky, but it's not for me, due to the way I like to listen to music. When I put on a track, I usually put on the entire album and listen to it from start to finish. The iPod products are able to seamlessly transition from one song to the next without stopping, popping, clicking, etc, and that is an important feature for those of us who enjoy listening to albums that transition seamlessly from song to song (think Pink Floyd: The Wall).

Power amp for android does

Still won't give me on-deck control like the iPod does. Nothing else will with my Clarion deck.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:29 pm
  • Get a deck that does support Android devices? :)

Honestly, I prefer controlling my music from my phone rather than the head unit, personally. :229031_shrug:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 pm
  • The thermal thing is funny, my comp definitely has some heat coming out the back when I do some heavy lifting or haven't cleaned the fins in a while...That said, Macpros are pretty serious computers. You could build your own, for cheaper, for sure, probably. I personally run a 2004 G5 tower(dual 2.7) on OSX.4 still(and serve media to everywhere else in the house). It's iffy on flash sometimes; but hasn't caused an issue yet. Once a year I clean out the dust and it's boss. I don't run any pro programs btw. I'm sure if I maxed out the RAM and got the right versions I could though. I just got a 2nd gen macmini though so I'll probably bootcamp it and install myth or something. Free HW, woo!

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Get a deck that does support Android devices? :)

Honestly, I prefer controlling my music from my phone rather than the head unit, personally. :229031_shrug:

Not sure one exists, to be honest. There were some made with Zune support, but we all know what happened with the Zune. My issue is that I like a clean integration. With my existing setup, I plug in an iPod to the USB dongle that's discretely hidden in my glovebox. No exposed wires, no crappy Bluetooth audio streaming, nada, just a very clean install that looks nearly factory. Controlling the system on an Android device implies that it's physically wired to the head unit, which looks janky, and can cause popping/clicking to occur as the mini TRS plug is jockeyed around in the socket.

This is the sole application where an Apple i-device is superior.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 am
  • SmokeyHawk wrote:The thermal thing is funny, my comp definitely has some heat coming out the back when I do some heavy lifting or haven't cleaned the fins in a while...That said, Macpros are pretty serious computers. You could build your own, for cheaper, for sure, probably. I personally run a 2004 G5 tower(dual 2.7) on OSX.4 still(and serve media to everywhere else in the house). It's iffy on flash sometimes; but hasn't caused an issue yet. Once a year I clean out the dust and it's boss. I don't run any pro programs btw. I'm sure if I maxed out the RAM and got the right versions I could though. I just got a 2nd gen macmini though so I'll probably bootcamp it and install myth or something. Free HW, woo!

-SH

We have a 2004 Dual-G5 also, and while it worked fine for SD video, it couldn't handle HD at all (way too long to render). Plus, the coolant leaked not once, but twice, and each time it took a week for the Mac store folks to fix it. (This was a known issue with the 2004 models). It now sits in a closet collecting dust.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:32 pm
  • taz291819 wrote:
    SmokeyHawk wrote:The thermal thing is funny, my comp definitely has some heat coming out the back when I do some heavy lifting or haven't cleaned the fins in a while...That said, Macpros are pretty serious computers. You could build your own, for cheaper, for sure, probably. I personally run a 2004 G5 tower(dual 2.7) on OSX.4 still(and serve media to everywhere else in the house). It's iffy on flash sometimes; but hasn't caused an issue yet. Once a year I clean out the dust and it's boss. I don't run any pro programs btw. I'm sure if I maxed out the RAM and got the right versions I could though. I just got a 2nd gen macmini though so I'll probably bootcamp it and install myth or something. Free HW, woo!

-SH

We have a 2004 Dual-G5 also, and while it worked fine for SD video, it couldn't handle HD at all (way too long to render). Plus, the coolant leaked not once, but twice, and each time it took a week for the Mac store folks to fix it. (This was a known issue with the 2004 models). It now sits in a closet collecting dust.

HD video work pretty much requires a dedicated ASIC, which is likely why it slows to a crawl on any of the old RISC based Crapintoshes.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:04 pm
  • And FWIW, I dated a chick that had a Zune. Honestly, it wasn't that bad.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:42 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Not sure one exists, to be honest.

Pioneer SPH-DA100
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm
  • Yeah, the coolant leak thing I've been lucky with(I think it helps that I've literally moved it 3 times in 10 years?). It either happens or doesn't..If this comp ever breaks I def. wouldn't fix it or anything; but it's been good for me. Lol, I remember trying to watch a HD movie -once-...haha, it'll serve 'em fine tho' heh(but my less Wh dual 533 G4 would too, hehe)

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information