The new Mac Pro

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: The new Mac Pro
Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:31 pm
  • In my home, between the kids, wife and I, we have 3 Apple computers, the oldest being a 2009 model and 6 devices running either Windows 7 or 8. I am a System Designer for a large Aerospace company that specializes in Integration with a variety of Operating Systems, from the server level to the desktop.

I can honestly say that the best computer I own is a Macbook running Windows 7. It doesn't have squat for input options though and is asked to very little. If I could take my custom built PC, which is far more powerful and capable of anything with me, I would, the Macbook is the nicest traveler though. Apple fan boys are worse than the average Niner fan, I have had more than one person tell me "nice computer" while using it, including my cousin. I asked him, what's so nice about it? His reply was "it looks cool and it's an Apple so it is better anyways right". I showed it to him, running x64 Win 7. He didn't even know that Apple made their own POS operating system.

No one, I mean NO ONE can justify the existence of Mac OSx. The fact that Apple even charges anything to use it makes me want to puke. Every Mac I own crashes with some frequency, full on, "you need to restart your computer" messages.

Since Win 7 came out, I have yet to crash any of the 6 Windows devices, ZERO crashes, no freezes, nothing. With kids ages 10-14 and a technically challenged wife, that I'd saying something. Especially with a custom built box.

I read all about Roland's dislike for Apple and I know folks like to get a rise out of him, but he is right. I go both ways on this crap, I will still buy Apple stuff, because I get tax credit for it and I need to know everything about all system types, I even use them regularly but if I had to choose only one device to survive on, it would be a PC based system. Some time ago, marketing folks and designers used to have an advantage using a Mac, but those days are long gone.

It has been years since I was working on a project, whether video or text, that I told myself "I should do this with the Mac."

Apple provides machines to kids in schools sometimes, but that is only to keep a population of fan boys around to spew off how great they are. With money as no object as it applies to computing, I choose the PC system. I certainly don't feel that a Mac is a wise financial option, because I really don't care if others think my computer is "cool" and I care more about function than I do the experience of opening the package.

My favorite fanboy line is "I just joined the Mac community yesterday and this is the most reliable computer I have ever owned"

After a whole day, the fanboy has awarded the reliability factor to a pretty box he opened. I swear, Apple must line the packaging with high grade cocaine, because even I get all excited about opening my Mac retail box. It wears off just as quick as cocaine too.

Put that in your Time Machine and smoke it Apple. :-)
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 pm
  • Loaf, that's a beautiful post.

"VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:Not sure one exists, to be honest.

Pioneer SPH-DA100

Interesting. I might have to consider that on my next car. At the time I bought the head unit (spring 2008), this deck wasn't on the market, nor was anything remotely close to it. I don't think I'd ever sign it up for 4g service, though, which would render most of its features relatively moot. Especially true if that 4g service comes via AT&T.

I just thought of another area in which the iPod is better for this application - capacity. Most Android phones have some built-in flash memory, and a micro SD slot to add a bit more, but the sub $250 iPod Classic holds 160 gigs. It's also something I prefer to just leave in the car, rather than plug in and tuck it away every time I get ready to go somewhere, making a $500+ smart phone a bit superfluous in my application. Still, it's a deck that is capable of interfacing with an Android device, though their list of compatible products is very, very short, relative to the sheer number of Android devices out there.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:17 am
  • People have gotten a variety of other Android devices working with that unit, taking a look at their forum for that model. No guarantees though, obviously.

It sounds like you're basically just using the iPod for storage. If that's the case, why not use a 128GB or 256GB USB flash drive?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:People have gotten a variety of other Android devices working with that unit, taking a look at their forum for that model. No guarantees though, obviously.

It sounds like you're basically just using the iPod for storage. If that's the case, why not use a 128GB or 256GB USB flash drive?

The iPod is also responsible for the actual music playback. My present deck supports USB flash drives, but it won't seamlessly transition from song to song when using them. Nitpicky, I know, but most of the music I enjoy has that sort of operatic flow from song to song.

Perhaps some day I'll go to a car audio shop and test the features on this head unit.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 am
  • That's what I did with the one I bought. I didn't care about having an overall awesome/top-end deck, but I needed (wanted) AVRCP over Bluetooth as well as the ability to scroll through songs using the volume knob. Any other method of scrolling through a large list of MP3s is incredibly cumbersome and annoying, and at the time (this was 3.5-4 years ago, approximately) almost no decks met this criteria at ANY price point. Amusingly, one that did was a Pioneer $159 (or so) deck which is what I bought.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:16 pm
  • When I see that tube all I see is crazy expensive custom replacement parts. No thank you.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 pm
  • sturg78 wrote:When I see that tube all I see is crazy expensive custom replacement parts. No thank you.

The problem with what you said is "replacement parts". What's replaceable, besides the RAM? :lol:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:34 am
  • Rocket wrote:Fess up... Who bought a Zune.

By the time the Zune came out there were generics on par with the iPod already.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:46 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Rocket wrote:Fess up... Who bought a Zune.

By the time the Zune came out there were generics on par with the iPod already.

Back then even Creative's ZEN did more than the ipod, with wider format support including xvid video.
    Apple is garbage.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:56 am
  • Not an Apple Fanboy at all, but I work on a 12 core Mac Pro running Windows 7 right now. My Home PC running a single quad core i7-3770 and Windows 7 is more than a match for it performance wise! I do a lot of Solidworks, Autocad/ draftsight on both of them. For me where the Apple excels is the design of their cases/housings. The case on my mac pro has a really nice rubber sealed bay for the Mobo etc. The Monitors have speakers, camera, Microphone and tons of USB ports on the back of them. just nice design work that I can appreciate. But that workstation with dual 27inch monitors cost around $8000 new. My home PC cost me ~$1000 including adding an Nvidia Quadro the Apple does not have. Apple folks seem to be willing to pay the premium for style that most are not. In a business environment can you really justify paying that much more just to impress? And that's where this new Mac Pro is targeted. Not dorm rooms or (most) home offices. They are targeting businesses or contractors who are willing to pay that premium. Pass!
    #NEXTMANUP
    #LEAVEMARSHAWNALONE
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:48 pm
  • If you want to pay a premium for a case, you can pay to have a custom one built, or get a premium one that has what you're looking for. There's literally no reason to buy a Mac unless you have a specific need to run software that exists only for OS X. (I shuddered typing that.)

Actually, now that I think about it, you can run OS X in Virtualbox and with the extra hardware you'd get for the same money, I'm sure it'd outperform a native Mac. However, running even a legitimate virtualized copy of OS X probably violates Apple's draconian terms of service, making it an improper solution for business. Just dump OS X-exclusive software, lol.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Previous

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information