Sciency stuff-Earliest known primate fossil found in China

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Tiny Chinese Archicebus fossil is oldest primate yet found
    By Jonathan Amos
    Science correspondent, BBC News

A mouse-sized fossil from China has provided remarkable new insights into the origin of primates.

At 55 million years old, it represents the earliest known member of this broad group of animals that includes humans.

Scientists have called the diminutive creature Archicebus, which roughly translates as "ancient monkey".

They tell Nature magazine that its skeleton helps explain the branching that occurred at the very base of the primate evolutionary tree.

Apparently, he's a distant nth cousin, not an nth grandparent....

The team puts Archicebus on the line leading to tarsiers, a collection of small arboreal animals now found exclusively in south-east Asia.

But its great age and primitive features mean it sits right at the base of this lineage, and so Archicebus therefore has much to say also about the emergence of the tarsiers' sister grouping - the anthropoids, the primates that include monkeys, apes and us.

And it would suggest the first of these anthropoids were, likewise, petite creatures scurrying through the tropical canopies that grew to cover the Earth shortly after the dinosaurs' extinction.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Fascinating!!

Thanks for sharing!!
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information