My Rock Cover Band Set List

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
My Rock Cover Band Set List
Sat May 25, 2013 9:15 pm
  • I've been in this rock cover band for over a year. We had a few lineup changes and still looking for a great lead guitarist (Craig's List ad here: http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/muc/3828810282.html) but the core we have is really coming together. We're rebuilding and refining our set list. I was hoping some of you rock aficionados wouldn't mind taking a look at this list and let me know if you have any ideas for some cool tunes that would fit this general genre or just any constructive comments. Or if you are a lead guitarist living in South King County with mad skills looking for a fun rock cover band, give me a shout! Much appreciated!

Songs we play now:

STP - Plush
    STP - Interstate Love Song
    Green Day - Holiday
    Weezer - Hashpipe
    Soundgarden - Fell On Black Days
    Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly
    Fuel - Hemorrhage
    AIC - Man In The Box
    AIC - Would?
    ACDC - TNT
    ACDC - Hells Bells
    Collective Soul - Shine
    Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive

Songs We're adding:

ACDC - Shoot to Thrill
    Van Halen - Dance The Night Away
    RHCP - Dani California
    STP - Sex Type Thing
    Foo's - Rope
    AIC - Your Decision
    AIC - Check Your Brain
    Incubus - Drive
    Metallica - Sandman
    Metallica - Turn the Page

Songs we are considering:

Chloe Dancer – Mother Love Bone
    Rain When I Die – AIC
    Wish You Were Here – Incubus
    Aerials – System of a Down
    Papercut – Linkin Park
    The Pretender – Foo Fighters
    Everlong – Foo Fighters
    Blurry – Puddle of Mudd
    More Than Human – White Zombie
    Epic – Faith No More
    Cult of Personality – Living Colour

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: My Rock Cover Band Set List
Sat May 25, 2013 9:43 pm
  • my fave aic songs are got me wrong, nutshell and the best one " god am" the last two are really dark and depressing so i dont know how well theyd go over in a bar. But otherwise your song selection looks great! more soundgarden or audioslave would be cool too.
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 pm
  • Thanks! Yeah all great tunes! We are considering an acoustic set and Nutshell would be perfect for that. Some Audioslave would be cool...Appreciate the input!

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat May 25, 2013 10:54 pm
  • I hope you don't take this the wrong way, because I really dig what you guys are playing but you guys are missing the key element for a cover band to book gig after gig. Girly butt rock. You have to get early to middle age housewives panties wet, or else you will just fade off like many others. What I would add to your set (which i totally dig) would be:

Sweet Child of Mine
    Don't Stop Believing
    Pour Some Sugar on Me (I'm so sorry for saying that, but its for the ladies)
    Living on a Prayer
    I will remember you
    Crazy Bitch(sorry again)
    Love in an Elevator
    Freewill(that will get the 40 somethings wet)
    Talk dirty to me (ok, now I hate myself)

Trust...If I was at the helm Breda would have been the "Bad Boys from Bothell" LOL

Playing "Your Decision"?? I'm sold.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat May 25, 2013 10:56 pm
  • oh and you cant go wrong with "killing in the name of" to close
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat May 25, 2013 11:05 pm
  • is that "I will remember you" from skid row? man I forgot about that song! Thats a great rock ballad that people probably would really like to hear at a bar.
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Sat May 25, 2013 11:08 pm
  • yep yep, and from what I have heard, todd could pull it off.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 am
  • Acid Bath - dead girl (or really any)

Alternative Ulster

Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas

mudvayne
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 12:48 am
  • NoChops, too freakin' funny and so true. We talk about the "Cougar Factor" as being a HUGE element we need to tap into and you are DEAD ON. We need to incorporate those 80's girly butt rock tunes for sure. After all, we're not doing this to have 40-something's stand around and chit-chat to their friends like they are at a Mariner's game. We want them to be raising their drink glasses while they shake their asses having a great time!

Some of our wives keep telling us to play those kinds of tunes. It's high time we listen.

Thanks for the compliment on my vocals but to be honest, some of those tunes would be a big stretch these days. This old man still has some pipes but some of those tunes are just silly high range. One thing I've done to combat that is I take a classic ACDC song like TNT or Hells Bells and sing an octave lower than Brian Johnson did and then nail some high notes at key points in the song. I was worried people would think it sounded weird but at our last gig I had no less than three people come up to me and tell me they loved how I did that. A pleasant surprise. So maybe some of those butt rock tunes with the really high range throughout I could do something similar. Time will tell.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun May 26, 2013 4:00 am
  • Well, I only suggested it because I have seen it work in person. I know a guy who pays in a band and they do all those tunes along with a handful of gunge tunes and I swear they have a group of 20-30 divorced housewives that follow them all over the Metroplex. I'm talking like these ladies will drive from south 56th to Lynwood to see them play. Of course they always bring a friend or two so even when they play a new place they have a good crowd on hand.

I cringed really hard and wanted to punch Derek(the singer, and guy I know) in the face, when I heard the opening riffs to a Poison song, but all was forgiven when a blond with a boob job pulled me on the dance floor.

"Crazy Bitch" is another one that is really painful to deal with. Yeah, it was a catchy tune and all, but now its mostly annoying. But I tell ya, every time they pull that one out, there are two or three milfs jumping up on stage, grinding on each other only to be outdone by a twenty something that needs all the attention, and get its by showing her tits to the whole bar. Again, its almost like clockwork. (sorry Mrs. Aros)

Even though I will probably never get to see you play, I would request "Possum Kingdom" to be added to the list. That one always gets a crowd jumping, but maybe its cuz the Todies are "local" to Dallas, dont know. Anyway, have fun with it, and good luck!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 am
  • Unskinny Bop? ^^
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 4:19 am
  • *shudder* no, thank god. they play talk dirty to me
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 9:07 am
  • I don't know.. it depends on what you want to achieve or who you want to play for. If you want to play for the ladies, like Nochops said, those are very good songs.

Personally I'll add some metal classics, some Judas Priest (Breaking the law), Scorpions (Can't live whitout you), Iron Maiden (Wasted Years), Ozzy Osbourne (Crazy train or shot in the dark), Kiss (Detroit rock city), Savatage (Tonight he grins again), or Krokus (Fire or midnight maniac), Accept (midnight mover), Dokken (Breaking the chains). if you want a little more proggier you should add the classic Silent lucidity, or Pink Floyd's Comfortably numb.

Too many classic bands and songs to choose from :)
    MexHawk
    NET Rookie

Sun May 26, 2013 9:16 am
  • NoChops wrote:

Nice to see the new AIC getting some love !

**edit** I just remembered the new AIC drops in 2 days w00 h00 !
    Last edited by m0ng0 on Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 9:19 am
  • You need to add the all time love song.
    "Let me put my love into you" by AC/DC or "Touch to Much".
    Panty droppers fo sho
    Chapman
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun May 26, 2013 10:46 am
  • Open up with a disclaimer: My band has a chick singer. But I know of a band back east with a dude singer that has played Beyonce. The singer sells it, and the chicks dig it.

I like the songs on your set list, looks like a musician who grew up in the 80's/90's dream.

Here is what my band played last night, it pretty much kept the dance floor hopping all night last night. Don't shoot the messenger here, I can't stand 90% of the songs we do but the chicks dig it...

Set 1
    My Sharona
    White Wedding
    I Want You to Want Me
    Rock and Roll All Night
    Good Girl
    Call Me Maybe
    Superstition
    Are You Gonna Go My Way
    Summer of ‘69
    What I like about You
    Word Up
    Black Cat
    Funky Music

Set 2
    Rock You Like a Hurricane
    Pour Some Sugar on Me
    Bad Case of Loving You
    Locked Out of Heaven
    Man in a Box
    Takin’ Care of Business
    Love Shack
    Footloose
    Rebel Yell
    Crazy Train
    Fight for Your Right
    Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’
    Sweet Child O’ Mine

Set 3
    We’re Not Gonna Take It
    So What
    Jump
    Fantasy
    Raise Your Glass
    La Grange
    Santeria
    Every Breath You Take
    I Kissed a Girl
    Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
    Paralyzer
    Highway to Hell
    Barracuda

Set 4
    Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Hurts So Good
    I Hate Myself For Loving You
    Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    Pretty Woman (Van Halen)
    Poker Face
    Black Velvet
    Born to be Wild
    Symphony of Destruction
    Hella Good
    Alright Now
    You Really Got Me
    I Love Rock-n-Roll
    Rock and Roll
    Harbaugh is a lunatic and he'll either die on the sideline while trying to challenge the coin toss, or get into a filthy divorce from the 49ers that will end up with him getting $27 million a year from Michigan to fist fight the entire state of Ohio.

-- Some Random 49er Fan
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 11:24 am
  • Trust me on this one. If you want to pack the dance floor, pull out "Don't you forget about me" and it will magically fill, every time.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun May 26, 2013 12:49 pm
  • I actually like a lot of those songs jiggy, good set.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Awesome! Great ideas fellas...Some good stuff here.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun May 26, 2013 1:16 pm
  • MLOhawks wrote:I actually like a lot of those songs jiggy, good set.

Thanks, when we got the list sent to us on Wednesday I cringed at opening up with My Sharona, but it actually worked.
    Harbaugh is a lunatic and he'll either die on the sideline while trying to challenge the coin toss, or get into a filthy divorce from the 49ers that will end up with him getting $27 million a year from Michigan to fist fight the entire state of Ohio.

-- Some Random 49er Fan
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 1:23 pm
  • wow jiggy, that is a very diverse song selection! And 4 sets? how long were you guys playing? I dont even think the Grateful Dead played 4 set shows, except maybe in the 1960s!
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 1:36 pm
  • largenutz wrote:wow jiggy, that is a very diverse song selection! And 4 sets? how long were you guys playing? I dont even think the Grateful Dead played 4 set shows, except maybe in the 1960s!

We generally start at 9pm and finish up around 1:30am. Each set is in the neighborhood of 45 to 50 minutes long with 15 minute breaks between sets. Pretty much your average bar band gig.

-- Some Random 49er Fan
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 3:25 pm
  • Muh, Muh, Muh, Muh my scur-otum.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun May 26, 2013 4:17 pm
  • That's a cool diverse set list. Man, 50+ tunes! Our goal is to get 25 initially and work our way up to 40-50 tunes. Thank God for the Surface/Ipad devices these days. I store the lyrics on it and refer to it when I need to. Nobody notices or even cares when it's on stage. I know it's not as cool but my memory is horrible and there is simply no way in Hell I could ever memorize that many lyrics to save my life. :)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun May 26, 2013 5:45 pm
  • Aros wrote:After all, we're not doing this to have 40-something's stand around and chit-chat to their friends like they are at a Mariner's game.

Hey! I resemble that remark!
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Sun May 26, 2013 5:58 pm
  • NoChops wrote:.........
    Freewill(that will get the 40 somethings wet)

It would give this 50 something wood :shock: (assuming you mean the Rush song)

And IMO, chicks or not, don't stoop to the Journey level (Don't Stop Believin')
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm
  • man I was listening to Judas Priest Rocka Rolla today and Run of the Mill is one HELL of an amazing song ! not that its really relevant but still mix it in :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    NoChops wrote:

Jerry could fart in a mic and I'd probably buy it. I was already a fan of William before he joined AIC so it wasn't too hard for me to get into the new stuff.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Mon May 27, 2013 2:38 am
  • Yeah Jerry is ridiculously talented. We used to roll with those dudes back in the day before they were famous and he was always incredibly humble.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon May 27, 2013 8:37 am
  • Aros wrote:Yeah Jerry is ridiculously talented. We used to roll with those dudes back in the day before they were famous and he was always incredibly humble.

Got the feeling he still is. Only problem with Jerry is that damned Pissburgh Stealer thing........
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 27, 2013 8:48 am
  • Should always learn a birthday song. Beatles, Stevie Wonder... or anyone that works for ya. Good to bust it out when there is a birthday in the house.
    Owner and operator of "Oof Studios" in South Everett WA
    http://www.facebook.com/OofStudios
    http://www.OofStudios.com
    Oof
    NET Rookie

Fri May 31, 2013 9:53 am
  • Don't forget Mr Big - To Be With You.... I can't stand the song but the ladies love that thing.

Man, Aros, that playlist took me back to my days in a crappy little garage band, we did half of those, very poorly I might add :P
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 31, 2013 2:51 pm
  • Im a huge Queens of the Stone Age fan so I'd suggest something by them. It seems to fit what you got there. My personal favorite is Go With the Flow, but really anything by them rocks.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 31, 2013 3:42 pm
  • I've talked to the fellas and we're definitely going to incorporate a Cougar/MILF set list. :)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:22 pm
  • Aros wrote:I've talked to the fellas and we're definitely going to incorporate a Cougar/MILF set list. :)

What's your over all goal? Is it to play a bar like once a month with the occasional block party? Or is it to gig as much as the wives will allow?

If it's as much as possible don't forget the late 20 something chicks. That is the money right there. Why? Because every dude from the 21 year old douchebag to the adolescent 45 year old is chasing that piece of tail.

So you keep them chicks happy, everyone is happy.

-- Some Random 49er Fan
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:00 pm
  • I am a bit disappointed Volsung hasn't posted in this thread. ..

Do you mind if I make a suggestion? It's something I almost always enjoy when a band does it. Take a pop song that everyone will recognise - either a "classic" or something very recognisable from the last few years - and thrash the hell out of it. Everyone will recognise it, and even those who hate the song will give you kudos for making it harder and better. Best to start with something uptempo though.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:24 pm
  • We Decided from the get go , we were not going to be the prototypical cover band that you go out and dance to, this area has a ton of those as already.. We agreed we'd accept a smaller following that actual enjoyed a break from the norm, and actually went out to see the band, as apposed to going out and dancing to a live jukebox if you will.. Nothing wrong with that, just wasn't our thing.. Having said that , this is the song list we've come up with so far: we do miss out on some club gigs because of our style, but man do we get some really cool shows in the summer... maybe there's a couple in there that catches your eye....

for whom the bell tolls - metallica
    let there be rock - ac/dc
    whole lotta rosie - ac/dc
    tnt - ac/dc
    it's so easy - GNR
    cryin like a bitch - godsmack
    everlong - foo fighters
    my hero - foo fighters
    no way back - foo fighters
    it's been a wile - staind
    click click boom - saliva
    your disease - saliva
    slither - velvet revolver
    cherub rock - smashing pumkins
    i don't know - ozzy
    bark at the moon - ozzy
    over the mountain - ozzy
    NIB - sabbath
    war pigs - sabbath
    suck my kiss - chilli peppers
    give it away - chilli peppers
    sounds of madness - shinedown
    standing in the sun - slash / myles kennedy
    wildside - crue
    trooper - maiden
    heavy metal - hagar
    fire woman - cult
    man in a box - AIC
    sex type thing - STP
    are you gonna go my way - lenny kravitz
    long way down - goo goo dolls

there's more, but that's all i can remember off hand...
    Last edited by hawker84 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am
  • You forgot "Stone Temple Pilots" after the song Sex Type Thing. :D

Nice freakin' setlist man!
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 am
  • Fixed thanks, ya it's a blast.. Like i said we miss out on gigs now and then, but it's worth being able to play this cool stuff..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm
  • I have covered and enjoyed many of the songs listed. One thing is for sure, if you can put women's butts in the seats, you will have a crowd.
    I am presently in 2 bands. Over the years I have been in 3 bands that feature a chick as a member. Usually their female friends come out to party and that helps set up the crowd.

I have been a classic rocker since those songs were top 40 in the 60's-70's. In one of my new projects, we have swung over to the other side playing a rocking style of country. Gobs of fun. Usually not overly demanding, the music rocks and the women love it.

Take a listen to a couple to see if any of it fits.
    How am I doin` Dierks Bentley
    Fast as you Dwight Yoakam
    Truck Yeah Tim McGraw
    Save a Horse Big and Rich
    I love this Bar Toby Keith
    Drink in My Hand Eric Church

Just take a quick YouTube listen. I'm digging the sound, and it never hurts to throw the crowd a change up.
    We are working on Misty Mountain Hop that morphs into Folsome Prison Blues. Believe it or not, it is very cool.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm
  • NoChops wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:
    NoChops wrote:

Jerry could fart in a mic and I'd probably buy it. I was already a fan of William before he joined AIC so it wasn't too hard for me to get into the new stuff.

Actually, Pacific Northwest Flaturock is an underappreciated genre. It's not quite the shit, but it's close.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    NoChops wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:[quote="NoChops"]

Actually, Pacific Northwest Flaturock is an underappreciated genre. It's not quite the shit, but it's close.[/quote]

And...boom.

This board is like the tenth series of "Friends" at this point. You don't need to write a punchline - just the set up then everyone knows what the character says next.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm
  • More like the Rocky Horror Show.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:13 pm
  • I just signed on with a new group... literally one day after quitting my other band (One guy kept trying to force changes in direction and I hit my 'Enough, I walk.' point), actually. Already got a gig Saturday, playing for a benefit for Okie tornado victims. Original blues-rock.

http://www.cherrystreethookers.com/fr_intro.cfm
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:07 am
  • I take back every thing I said in this thread. I went and saw my buddy's "milf band" last night and the only attractive women in the place were the wait staff who were half my age. I'm talking...."Lambda, Lambda, Lambda AAAANNNDDD Omega Moo's"

Anyway, was still fun, they added a second guitar player/singer who has some pretty damn nice pipes, They whipped out Triumph's "Magic Power" towards the end of the set and brought the house down. What a great frickin song!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:09 am

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:18 pm
  • TravTex wrote:I just signed on with a new group... literally one day after quitting my other band (One guy kept trying to force changes in direction and I hit my 'Enough, I walk.' point), actually. Already got a gig Saturday, playing for a benefit for Okie tornado victims. Original blues-rock.

http://www.cherrystreethookers.com/fr_intro.cfm

Awesome Trav! Sounds great! Good chops there. Love the name and logo. :)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:21 pm
  • NoChops wrote:I take back every thing I said in this thread. I went and saw my buddy's "milf band" last night and the only attractive women in the place were the wait staff who were half my age. I'm talking...."Lambda, Lambda, Lambda AAAANNNDDD Omega Moo's"

Anyway, was still fun, they added a second guitar player/singer who has some pretty damn nice pipes, They whipped out Triumph's "Magic Power" towards the end of the set and brought the house down. What a great frickin song!

If he can sing Triumph, dude has some pipes fo sho!!

I LOVE Triumph but I would have to be lubed up vocally to pull it off (lubed up = "more wine").

Rush, Triumph...You have to have a clean, strong upper register to pull those tunes off. I have my moments (Limelight) but it's impressive to hear Triumph. Loved that band.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:29 pm
  • Here's our latest set list(s)...

Set 1

Plush
    Holiday
    Learn to Fly
    Shine
    Hash Pipe
    Man in the Box
    Hemorrhage
    Fell on Black Days
    TNT
    Would?
    Interstate Love Song
    Hells Bells

Set 2

Dance the Night Away
    Dani California
    Nearly Lost You
    Sex Type Thing
    Drive
    Check My Brain
    Shoot to Thrill
    Slither
    Sweet Child o-MIne
    Another Thing Coming
    Lights
    New Years Day
    Rebel Yell

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:07 am
  • I like the 5th song of the 2nd set..... :th2thumbs:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Next

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information