Museum of Flight

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Museum of Flight
Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 pm
  • Every time I go, it feels like the first time. What a great museum we have here right in our own backyard (well, for those of you living in the Pacific Northwest that is). My favorite all-time plane (and I have a lot of favorites) has to be the SR-71 Blackbird. The only plane humans have ever developed that was fully functional and one you could picture Darth Vader flying as his prefered mode of transportation.

Here's the Old Man straddling the cockpit in what can only be described as the only time I could ever be photographed in the cockpit of an SR-71 Blackbird wearing a t-shirt and Seahawks baseball cap.

(For you aviation nuts the real pilots wore astronaut suits).
    Attachments
    IMG_20130510_130438.jpg
    IMG_20130510_130438.jpg (239.09 KiB) Viewed 725 times

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Museum of Flight
Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 pm
  • Some more shots...
    Attachments
    3.jpg
    3.jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 723 times
    sr2.jpg
    sr2.jpg (145.35 KiB) Viewed 723 times
    IMG_20130510_130358.jpg
    IMG_20130510_130358.jpg (233.54 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri May 10, 2013 11:31 pm
  • My father used to be the projectionist there on weekends when I was a kid. So I would spend hours and hours there. It's a great place!
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 pm
  • Awesome! It really is a great place. I took my 74-year-old mother there with me and she had the child-like awe and enthusiasm as I did all day. It's a very sweet treat to go.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 pm
  • By the way, for the record, the Seattle Museum of Flight is the only museum in the country that showcases the very, very, very rare MD-21. That is, the SR-71 Blackbird variant that carried a drone on her back.

I know, it don't mean much to non-aviation buffs but for those of us who are, it's a pretty big deal.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 am
  • Nice !

Its quite strange that between the Air Force and my current job I have been in the aviation biz for 20 years and I have never made it down there to check that place out. Going to have to make a trip soon! I always loved the blackbird also, was my favorite until the B-2 came out.

Semi on topic I heard that the Tillamook Air Museum is moving to Madras Oregon. I always loved to stop there on my way to the coast, Madras....not so much :-(
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 7:37 am
  • Todd, have you seen the one at Evergreen in McMinnville? That's another rare find as it has seating for 2. I think the only other one with that capacity was the one the woman newscaster (Joan Lunden) got a ride in several years ago.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat May 11, 2013 11:55 am
  • Definitely go see Evergreen.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 4:47 pm
  • I'll have to take a road trip to check out Evergreen. Cool! Les, I'm confused, all Blackbirds sat 2. The pilot in the front and the RSO (Reconnaisance Systems Officer) in the back.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat May 11, 2013 6:10 pm
  • Aros wrote:I'll have to take a road trip to check out Evergreen. Cool! Les, I'm confused, all Blackbirds sat 2. The pilot in the front and the RSO (Reconnaisance Systems Officer) in the back.

Damn well now that I'm thinking of it you're right.

But you can get to see the Spruce Goose.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat May 11, 2013 9:18 pm
  • Great pic, Todd! I keep wanting to go there, but the kids are always like "Gaahhhhhh! We've only been there four time last year on field trips, Dad!" Someday soon.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information