Gangster Squad

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Gangster Squad
Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 am
  • I just bought this movie and watched it last night.. Supposedly a real life account of the life and times of Irish Gangster Mickey Cohen.. Who along with Bugsy Seigel attempted to take over LA in the 40's... After the Assasination of Bugsy Seigel , Mickey Cohen successfully took over LA, owned many brothels and gambling houses, along with most of the burbank police and judges.. Having survived 12 assasination attempts and several trials, ( he was the origninal Teflon Don ) he was finally brought down for tax evasion , later released, he died in 1976 peacefully at home.. The movie will have you believe the Gangster Squad was responsible for his demise, but this is misleading.. They were respsonible the destroying a good part of his empire, buy burning down and destroying his businesses and arresting the members that worked under him.. But it was the bean counters of the IRS that ultimately finished him off for good.

I thought the movie was good, very Hollywood, and not historically accurate, but i found it very entertaining, and would reccommend it.. Big Fan of Josh Brolin and Sean Penn's work..
    Last edited by hawker84 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Re: Gangster Squad?
Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 am
  • Nice. I remember thinking the trailer was awesome, but never did see it. Probably because they removed that scene where the guys open up on the movie theater audience because of the real-world shooting? I hate it when movie studios do that kind of crap.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: Gangster Squad
Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 pm
  • This movie was bad and ridiculously inacurate.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu May 09, 2013 6:11 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:I thought the movie was good, very Hollywood, and not historically accurate,

What, a gangster movie isn't historically accurate? Next you'll try to tell me that Eliot Ness didn't really throw Frank Nitti off a roof during Capone's trial.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 pm
  • Haven't seen it and probably won't. The name Mickey Cohen sounds more Jewish than Irish though. Us Irishmen are always getting a bad wrap. And yes, there are four of us here and a fifth.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu May 09, 2013 6:31 pm
  • I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, it was over the top and everyone had an IQ of like 40. Also, are you sure Cohen was Irish? I know he was Jewish but I didn't think he was also Irish. I guess he could be on one side though, but he's much more famous for being in the Jewish Mafia.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:are you sure Cohen was Irish?
    therealjohncarlson wrote: I guess he could be on one side though

A 40 IQ'er could figure that one out. lol.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 pm
  • Mickey Cohen was from an Orthodox Jewish family in Brooklyn. His mother was from Kiev, Ukraine.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri May 10, 2013 2:27 pm
  • Only good thing in that movie was...

RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 2:30 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:Also, are you sure Cohen was Irish? I know he was Jewish but I didn't think he was also Irish. I guess he could be on one side though, but he's much more famous for being in the Jewish Mafia.

You do realize that Judaism is a religion, right? Anybody can go become a Jew if they want to, regardless of ethnicity; just like anybody can go become a Catholic or a Protestant.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:Also, are you sure Cohen was Irish? I know he was Jewish but I didn't think he was also Irish. I guess he could be on one side though, but he's much more famous for being in the Jewish Mafia.

You do realize that Judaism is a religion, right? Anybody can go become a Jew if they want to, regardless of ethnicity; just like anybody can go become a Catholic or a Protestant.

True but Irish (not to stereotype but assuming catholic) gangsters don't convert to Judaism mid-crime spree.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun May 12, 2013 3:31 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:True but Irish (not to stereotype but assuming catholic) gangsters don't convert to Judaism mid-crime spree.

Well, yeah; but they could, lol. Hell, in a manner of speaking, I'd say people regularly forsake their religion when they choose to do things that go against their religion. Like murder, steal, rape, beat spouses/kids, etc. I always did find the idea of religious/Catholic Italian gangsters to be highly hypocritical, haha. Murder on Saturday night, church on Sunday morning. How charming.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun May 12, 2013 6:27 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:Also, are you sure Cohen was Irish? I know he was Jewish but I didn't think he was also Irish. I guess he could be on one side though, but he's much more famous for being in the Jewish Mafia.

Yes... I do realize that. But I also realize the name "Cohen" is a very traditional Judaic name dating back to priests in Jurusalem. So.. I think it's safe to say his ancestors on at least one side of his family are Jewish.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 am
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, it was over the top and everyone had an IQ of like 40. Also, are you sure Cohen was Irish? I know he was Jewish but I didn't think he was also Irish. I guess he could be on one side though, but he's much more famous for being in the Jewish Mafia.

you are correct, typo... He was Jewish not Irish.. my bad.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 am
  • hawker84 wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, it was over the top and everyone had an IQ of like 40. Also, are you sure Cohen was Irish? I know he was Jewish but I didn't think he was also Irish. I guess he could be on one side though, but he's much more famous for being in the Jewish Mafia.

If I'm not mistaken they tried to play him off as an Irish gangster. I cant remember that or not. I do know there was no mention of him being Jewish.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon May 13, 2013 1:11 pm
  • If you read his bio , it states he comes from Jewish decent, i believe on his mothers side.

As far as the Irish thing that might be true , they may have made some reference to him being Irish in the movie, maybe that's how it popped in my head, can't remember.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 3:10 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, it was over the top and everyone had an IQ of like 40. Also, are you sure Cohen was Irish? I know he was Jewish but I didn't think he was also Irish. I guess he could be on one side though, but he's much more famous for being in the Jewish Mafia.

If I'm not mistaken they tried to play him off as an Irish gangster. I cant remember that or not. I do know there was no mention of him being Jewish.

I remember one line in the movie about him being a self-loathing Jew or something like that. So it was definitely mentioned at least once.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information