If giving up alcohol made you better at your job, would you?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13

If giving up alcohol would make you better at your job, would you do it?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes : 20

• If the Adderall thread is any indication, so far we're more willing to add a vice to improve our job performance than not. But are you guys willing to give one up for the same effect?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• What are you crazy?
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• What are you crazy?
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• While I voted no, honestly, I'm not really sure.

Thankfully, it has the reverse effect for me. Being in Creative Services for a television station, some of my best ideas come to me after having a few drinks. Nature of the beast I guess.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I don't drink. But every once in awhile, maybe one day every three months or so, I have a day on the job that makes me want to start.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Why do you think so many great writers were raging alcoholics?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• JSeahawks wrote:I don't drink.

I always knew there wasn't something right about you.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Why do you think so many great writers were raging alcoholics?

Because its a fact.

If you don't think drugs have done anything good for this country go home and burn all those albums. All the musicians that made that great music. Real high on life.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• If I couldn't drink beer while I play my drums I would not want to live. :shock:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Why do you think so many great writers were raging alcoholics?

The same reason so many great athletes, musicians, and actors/actresses were raging alcoholics. The same reason so many of the tyrants, rapists, and murderers were raging alcoholics. A large number of people tend to drink and among them are a few raging alcoholics. Among those few raging alcoholics happen to be a few people of exceptional ability in whatever it is that they do. You could just as easily say that great writing leads to raging alcoholism and not the other way around. It's an unproven correlation that goes both way and extends well beyond just artists.
    Last edited by BirdsCommaAngry on Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:If you don't think drugs have done anything good for this country go home and burn all those albums. All the musicians that made that great music. Real high on life.

Recreational drugs haven't done anything good for this country. There have been people who used recreational drugs and did well for this country but those are two very different things. Besides, if I'm thanking a substance for helping in giving me some of my favorite music, shouldn't I be thanking something like drinking water instead? Drinking water has done more for modern music than heroine could ever dream of (if heroine has in fact contributed anything truly good..).
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Ummmmmmmm... I dunno about all that.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I can drink at work now? Why am I just now finding this out?
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Wine is proof God wants us to be happy. Just ask me.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Unless you are on Mad Men, I haven't seen too many jobs where alcohol was a problem. Most people save it until after work.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• Giving up alcohol DID make me better at my job . . . sort of.

I took a long time to grow up, and alcohol was a big reason why. Drinking left me hungover, so I was not as effective at work, and occasionally it left me in a cell, where I was unable to even report to work.

If I had continued to drink, inevitably I would have ended up unemployed, and not doing my work at all.

So yes, not drinking has indeed made me better at my job, and I did give it up!
    Dismas
    NET Starter

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:If you don't think drugs have done anything good for this country go home and burn all those albums. All the musicians that made that great music. Real high on life.

Recreational drugs haven't done anything good for this country. There have been people who used recreational drugs and did well for this country but those are two very different things. Besides, if I'm thanking a substance for helping in giving me some of my favorite music, shouldn't I be thanking something like drinking water instead? Drinking water has done more for modern music than heroine could ever dream of (if heroine has in fact contributed anything truly good..).

Somebody didn't get the Bill Hicks reference.

Then again, given the line of argument, I'm not surprised.

As for me, I don't care enough about my job to start doing Adderall or stop drinking in order to change my performance.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information