Iron Man 3 - Warning: Plot hints (possible spoilers)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Just got back

Good, not great. It pretty much just focuses on the extremis arc, so basically no Avengers tie-ins, aside from mentioning 'New York' a few dozen times.

Easily the weakest of the three, but still worth seeing. Post-credits sequence is meh.
    Last edited by RockHawk on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Edited your title to include "spoiler" alert
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Re: Iron Man 3
Sat May 04, 2013 3:35 pm
  • I just saw it this afternoon as well. The best part of it for me was the Man of Steel preview before it. Other then that it was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Iron Man. I was entertained, but didnt love it. I agree, weakest of the three.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat May 04, 2013 5:33 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I just saw it this afternoon as well. The best part of it for me was the Man of Steel preview before it. Other then that it was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Iron Man. I was entertained, but didnt love it. I agree, weakest of the three.

Man of steel does look like it'll be good, but you never know. Zak Snyder hit on 300 and missed badly on Watchmen, so it'll be interesting to see how he does here.

The Star Trek Into Darkness preview got me so gacked though. Can't WAIT for that now. Two weeks. Beezer.

Yeah, this movie (Iron Man 3) just lacked a lot for me. The main antagonist just wasn't enough. There was no serious threat, the stakes weren't that high for me. Also, the war machine/Iron Patriot character felt like an afterthought for most of the film. It was predictable, and the complete lack of Marvel universe tie-ins just lowered the whole experience for me.

It's still worth seeing if you're a fan of the genre, but don't feel like you HAVE to see it to catch some Avengers/Marvel tie-ins, because there's none there.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat May 04, 2013 6:21 pm
  • We just got back and saw 42 instead of Iron man, and really glad we did.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat May 04, 2013 6:44 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Zak Snyder hit on 300 and missed badly on Watchmen, so it'll be interesting to see how he does here.

I don't know of a way this statement could be more wrong.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat May 04, 2013 6:55 pm
  • I loved both 300 and Watchmen. But i'm pretty easily satisfied.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat May 04, 2013 7:32 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    Zak Snyder hit on 300 and missed badly on Watchmen, so it'll be interesting to see how he does here.

WHat are you talking about? Watchmen was an abortion. The best part about it was the opening credits sequence.

300 was fantastic, in my opinion.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat May 04, 2013 7:34 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

WHat are you talking about? Watchmen was an abortion. The best part about it was the opening credits sequence.

300 was fantastic, in my opinion.

Watchmen was both epic and nearly identical top the graphic novel with only a minor change to the ending.

300 was "meh" at best.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat May 04, 2013 7:37 pm
  • That was the problem with Watchmen. It was basically just an animated storyboard. The music was decent, but the acting was stiff and the scenes themselves just felt like they were crammed into a comic book panel. The horrible love scene in the owl ship and the endless ridiculous shots of the glowing blue penis were just too much for me to overcome. The graphic novel was fantastic, the movie was a pile of shite.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat May 04, 2013 8:11 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:300 was "meh" at best.

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat May 04, 2013 8:21 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:That was the problem with Watchmen. It was basically just an animated storyboard. The music was decent, but the acting was stiff and the scenes themselves just felt like they were crammed into a comic book panel. The horrible love scene in the owl ship and the endless ridiculous shots of the glowing blue penis were just too much for me to overcome. The graphic novel was fantastic, the movie was a pile of shite.

You sir, are wrong at life.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun May 05, 2013 7:09 am
  • I agree with Peaches. While I loved the graphic novel, I didn't care for the movie at all. OTOH, a great graphic novel adaption was Sin City.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 am
  • I saw it last night, wasn't impressed. Iron Man 1 is great, 2 is good, 3 is mediocre, IMO.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun May 05, 2013 6:58 pm
  • I really enjoyed it.
    * NET Staff *

Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:I really enjoyed it.

Agreed. Iron Man has established that it's going to side towards pithy sarcastic humor.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon May 06, 2013 7:32 am
  • I actually loved 3. It was well written, moved along nicely and had a twist in it. It was better than 2 and as good as 1 IMO.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2013 5:16 pm
  • Iron Man 3 was far more interesting than the one before. And it gets kudos just for bringing this song back into the mainstream:

GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:51 pm
  • Saw it yesterday.

Was I entertained? Yep. Did some parts of the movie disappoint me? Yep.

I hated the Mandarin plot twist. Hated.

And I remember reading the Extremis story in the comics (probably the last comics I collected because of Adi Granov). But I don't remember the extremis guys being that powerful, karate chopping an Iron Man suit in half? Really!?

:Dunno:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:09 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Saw it yesterday.

And I remember reading the Extremis story in the comics (probably the last comics I collected because of Adi Granov). But I don't remember the extremis guys being that powerful, karate chopping an Iron Man suit in half? Really!?

I'll just let this speak for me as well. Perfectly summed up, especially the Mandarin plot twist.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:01 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Saw it yesterday.

I can see why people would hate the Mandarin plot twist, I liked it because I didn't see it coming. Having never read the Extremis arc I had no expectations with them, so I just chalked it up to them being able to do that.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am
  • Loved 1, 2 sucked, 3 was okay. I'd wait and rent it from redbox or whatever.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 pm
  • Really? I loved the Mandarin twist. That goofy ass british dude was almost as funny as RDJ.

I give it 3.9/5 stars. The first was the best though. #2 I was a bit meh on, but I haven't seen it in awhile.

Hatas gonna hate.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:52 am
  • Liked it better than #2, which just seemed to be a cash grab and the age-old formula of "let's see how much action we can squeeze in".

But I could not agree more with twisted_steel2 on the plot twist - What a waste of an exceptional character. To me, Mandarin prior to the twist was scary and everything you want in an antagonist. Extremis was unbelievable and far too out-there for me to feel.
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• I appreciated the Mandarin purely as a plot twist. I lack the comic-book fanboyism to judge it on any other grounds.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:I appreciated the Mandarin purely as a plot twist. I lack the comic-book fanboyism to judge it on any other grounds.

Look at it like this,

Imagine they pulled that move on The Joker in The Dark Knight? The uproar would have been huge.

Like The Joker to Batman, the Mandarin is that level nemesis to Iron Man, probably his biggest villain in the comics.

But whatev, its a movie, not the comics. Two separate things, not mad about it, just thought it could have been done better. The Mandarin is a cool character, there was enough there to pull it off without the cheesy twist.

They made him this funny side story, when in fact he's Iron Man's main villian through out the comics. :34853_doh:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I appreciated the Mandarin purely as a plot twist. I lack the comic-book fanboyism to judge it on any other grounds.

Look at it like this,

Imagine they pulled that move on The Joker in The Dark Knight? The uproar would have been huge.

Like The Joker to Batman, the Mandarin is that level nemesis to Iron Man, probably his biggest villain in the comics.

But whatev, its a movie, not the comics. Two separate things, not mad about it, just thought it could have been done better. The Mandarin is a cool character, there was enough there to pull it off without the cheesy twist.

They made him this funny side story, when in fact he's Iron Man's main villian through out the comics. :34853_doh:

They may use this as a way to setup the 4th movie though. Nobody would take the Mandarin seriously as he was an actor in the first one but he ends up being real, and pissed, about his earlier portrayal. I thought that the Mandarin would be the guy from the first movie that had captured Tony anyway.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I appreciated the Mandarin purely as a plot twist. I lack the comic-book fanboyism to judge it on any other grounds.

Look at it like this,

They may use this as a way to setup the 4th movie though. Nobody would take the Mandarin seriously as he was an actor in the first one but he ends up being real, and pissed, about his earlier portrayal. I thought that the Mandarin would be the guy from the first movie that had captured Tony anyway.

Totally, they were setting it up like that.

In the first movie, that dudes terrorist group was called the Ten Rings...

About the Mandarin and his ten rings:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Mandarin's_Rings

These rings are Makluan (a race of dragonlike aliens) technology and were apparently used to power a ship Mandarin found crashed. The rings have altered their wearers to be superhuman
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• You notice that they never showed that guy being killed either, they suggested it, but never showed it.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information