Sciency stuff-NASA considers what to do with new assets...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Apparently one of our spy agencies donated a couple of high powered telescope satellites to NASA. It will be interesting to see what they do with them, assuming they can get funding, of course. They're still in the assembly/development stage right now.

NASA Mulls Missions for Donated Spy Satellite Telescopes

NASA is sorting through a variety of possible uses for a pair of powerful spy satellite telescopes that fell into the agency's lap last year.

In November, NASA asked scientists to suggest missions for the telescopes, which were donated by the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) and are comparable in size and appearance to the famous Hubble Space Telescope.

More than 60 serious proposals came flooding in, the most promising of which were presented in early February at the Study on Applications of Large Space Optics (SALSO) workshop in Huntsville, Ala. [Declassified U.S. Spy Satellites (Gallery)]

Some of the ideas proposed:

Mars-orbiting space telescope
    Exoplanet observatory
    General-purpose faint object explorer
    Advanced, Hubble-like visible light/ultraviolet telescope
    Optical communications node in space (which would aid transmissions to and from deep-space assets)
    Geospace dynamic observatory (which would study space weather and the sun-Earth system)
    Research of Earth's upper atmosphere (from a spot aboard the International Space Station)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Interesting stuff... And interesting ideas.

:snack:
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information