2013 Summer Movies

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
2013 Summer Movies
Thu May 02, 2013 5:38 am

Re: 2013 Summer Movies
Thu May 02, 2013 8:07 am
  • I am unrealistically excited for Pacific Rim because if Guillermo del Toro brings the same level of craft as he did in Pan's Labyrinth, it's going to be the best robot punches monster in face movie ever.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 am
  • Might see Man of Steel but Im getting really tired of the superhero moves. And I really see no end in site for their popularity *sigh*
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 am
  • Man Of Steel, for SURE. Trek, FOR SURE. I'm 50/50 on Iron Man...Downey plays him more playboy less psychotic drunk (how it should be). Anything Del Toro does, I'm in, he's earned that with HB 1 and 2, and Pans Labrynth.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 am
  • Star Trek, Hangover 3, Fast and Furious... they all come out during my birthday week !!
    Image Image
    ImageImage
    djTOY2000
    Eli Positioner Extraordinaire

Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 am
  • Iron Man, Man of Steel, Fast & Furious 6, Sin City 2. Possibly others.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 am
  • Yeah, pretty much same here. Trek just looks amazing. I was REALLY excited for Iron Man 3 a while ago, and I'm gonna see it in a couple of days, but my excitement is waning, i think because of the trailer. Dunno.

Man of Steel and Pacific Rim are definites. World war Z is almost a definite. Despicable Me 2 is a definite. The Wolverine I'll pretty likely go to see. Same with The World's End.

I'm going to include Riddick as a summer movie, it comes out September 6th. I will definitely see this and have been looking forward to it for a while.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 am
  • After Earth
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 am
  • I see about 1 or 2 movies in the theater a year, think it might be Pacific Rim and Iron Man 3 this year
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 am
  • Call me a cynic but this looks like one of the worst crops of summer movies in a long time.

Side note, I saw Oblivion the other night because it happened to be the next movie playing when I decided to check out a movie. It was ok. I hate Tom Cruise. But there were some really cool elements and some hot chicks. Not sure about the origin of the story, if it's based on a book or something, but it seemed to borrow from a lot of other Sci-Fi stories. It was kind of like Total Recall meets Terminator meets The Island, sprinkle in a little bit of Star Wars, Preditor/Alien and maybe some Star Trek towards the end. That's how I've decided to judge this movie. I'll give it a 5.9/10.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 am
  • Iron Man 3 (watching Sunday), Star Trek, The Wolverine, Pacific Rim, New Riddick flick, and not totally sold on Man of Steel, but will probably go see it as well.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 11:39 am
  • Man of Steel, Star Trek, and Wolverine are my top 3.

World War Z, I think I'll wait for the DVD on that one. Seems like it's drifted too far from the book.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 pm
  • TriCHawk wrote:
    World War Z, I think I'll wait for the DVD on that one. Seems like it's drifted too far from the book.

Sounds like it could be a disaster from all the rewrites and re-filming (40 minutes of the film they had to reshoot), that film had a lot of issues.

Pitt is said to have explained, “We started shooting the thing before we locked down how it was going to end up, and it didn’t turn out the way we wanted it to.”

“It was, like, Wow. The ending of our movie doesn’t work. I believed in that moment we needed to reshoot the movie,” says one Paramount executive.

That's never a good sign.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 12:33 pm
  • They took a mulligan on shooting an entire movie? The previews have been out for a while now - are those from the original or the re-shoot?

The thing that bothered me the most is that it looks like from the previews the movie is "fast" zombies. Which is not how it was in the book. That's a big difference to me.
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:After Earth

Wow, really? Why are people still paying money to see M Night Shamalamadingsong's films?

Zeb, totes agree on Oblivion. So predictable. They should have called it "Every sci-fi trope you can imagine in one movie".
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:After Earth

Wow, really? Why are people still paying money to see M Night Shamalamadingsong's films?

Zeb, totes agree on Oblivion. So predictable. They should have called it "Every sci-fi trope you can imagine in one movie".

After Earth is an M Night flick? Dammit.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Thu May 02, 2013 1:05 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:After Earth

It's not a M Night movie. It's a Will Smith movie. That's why I'll be seeing it.

peachesenregalia wrote:Zeb, totes agree on Oblivion. So predictable. They should have called it "Every sci-fi trope you can imagine in one movie".

Right! It was visually impressive though, so that made seeing it on the big screen worth it IMO. But Cruise's "football" reenactment? Wow, that was embarrassing. I bet that guy's never seen a down of football in his life.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu May 02, 2013 1:56 pm
  • TriCHawk wrote:They took a mulligan on shooting an entire movie? The previews have been out for a while now - are those from the original or the re-shoot?

The thing that bothered me the most is that it looks like from the previews the movie is "fast" zombies. Which is not how it was in the book. That's a big difference to me.

I think that was Brad Pitt's decision to change the zombies, he wanted them to swarm like insects or ants. Not in the book, just him changing stuff up. :roll:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 1:57 pm
  • I'll probably watch all of them. Love going to movies.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 02, 2013 2:28 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:They took a mulligan on shooting an entire movie? The previews have been out for a while now - are those from the original or the re-shoot?

I think that was Brad Pitt's decision to change the zombies, he wanted them to swarm like insects or ants. Not in the book, just him changing stuff up. :roll:

I thought the book was pretty good, but I don't see how you could stick to it and make it a big Brad Pitt blockbuster type movie. Maybe an indie style mockumentary or something... I dunno. I guess I'm saying I get it, but I don't know if I like it. We'll see.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu May 02, 2013 2:54 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:They took a mulligan on shooting an entire movie? The previews have been out for a while now - are those from the original or the re-shoot?

I thought the book was pretty good, but I don't see how you could stick to it and make it a big Brad Pitt blockbuster type movie. Maybe an indie style mockumentary or something... I dunno. I guess I'm saying I get it, but I don't know if I like it. We'll see.

Yeah - I definitely see the difficulty of sticking to it because it's a bunch of different stories/recollections basically. Just the idea of taking a zombie (slow-moving, unfeeling, unrelenting) and making it sped-up insect, swarming type thing kind of throws it for me. Slow moving seems scarier. Making them fast... that's a big alterration. I'll still see it of course, because it still looks good.

Ok, I'll leave it alone now.
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information