Commuting

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Commuting
Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am
  • I don't think its a good Idea to mention a Lab and Kelso in the same coversation.
    Chapman
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 am
  • How is a 1-hour commute each way not too bad? You're talking about 12% or so of your average waking life. That's a huge chunk. People need to stop living so far from their jobs, it's clowns that have long commutes that clog the freeways in the first place!

#LongCommuterHater :)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:How is a 1-hour commute each way not too bad? You're talking about 12% or so of your average waking life. That's a huge chunk. People need to stop living so far from their jobs, it's clowns that have long commutes that clog the freeways in the first place!

He's right you know. You should get the hell rid of your car and hitchhike.

Or take a minimum wage job and collect foodstamps so you can stay home more.

:roll:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am
  • Chapman wrote:I don't think its a good Idea to mention a Lab and Kelso in the same coversation.

Psh, don't come calling when I get the good stuff then
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:How is a 1-hour commute each way not too bad? You're talking about 12% or so of your average waking life. That's a huge chunk. People need to stop living so far from their jobs, it's clowns that have long commutes that clog the freeways in the first place!

Maybe these big companies will start putting office space in the burbs of Kent, Federal Way and Auburn? I'll ask if they could do that instead of renting space in the high rises in downtown Seattle.

Or maybe they'll start building affordable houses, with yards, schools, etc so I have room to raise my family in downtown Seattle so I can walk to work. That would be awesome.

Or maybe I'll go back in time 20 years where I was young and single and I could get an apartment downtown so I could walk to work.

Or maybe my work will give me a huge monster raise so I can buy one of these $6,000,000 dollar condos by my work. That would be cool. Oh wait, no schools in downtown Seattle.

Or maybe my last job(which was closer, 25min commute) wouldn't have outsourced my entire IT department to Bangladore...

Saying people should live closer to work would be great, then reality sets in.
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 am

I have a 45 minute each way and I consider it my decompress time. My commute is worth it though, I could not afford the house and land I have in the town where I work so sometimes you have to make that trade off. Not all of us can or want to live in the city where we can have that short commute. Buy a car with good gas mileage or a motorcycle.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am
  • My point is, I resent having massive freeway traffic from people who refuse to live moderately close to where they work. ;)

Imagine if you couldn't run water more than a trickle during peak times in your home because people 20 mile away were siphoning it off a couple hours twice per day? Just sayin'.

I know this will bother some people around here, haha.

twisted_steel2 wrote:Saying people should live closer to work would be great, then reality sets in.

Anybody can do it if they WANT to do it. Condo instead of house, etc. You don't want to do it, that's fine; but claiming it's impossible is ridiculous. Of course you can buy a bigger/better place living in a more rural/less populated area. However, it's annoying to people like me, who have moved 3 times in the past decade but every single time have made sure they stay close to their job for the nice, easy commute. I could have a better place living a good deal farther away, but I don't.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am
  • I'm with Roland. There are trade offs but for me I add those two daily hours and add that to my dollars per hour. Gas, car repairs, the added time because an hour in Friday traffic is 1.5. There's an accident this week four hour commute. Another thing about people I work with that commute they all show up at least a half hour or more early because they have to compensate for traffic, accidents, break downs etc and not be late. That's more time they aren't being paid.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 am
  • Hi 5, Cali.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 am
  • Motorcycle?.....Oops you live in Washington State.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:How is a 1-hour commute each way not too bad? You're talking about 12% or so of your average waking life. That's a huge chunk. People need to stop living so far from their jobs, it's clowns that have long commutes that clog the freeways in the first place!

Maybe these big companies will start putting office space in the burbs of Kent, Federal Way and Auburn? I'll ask if they could do that instead of renting space in the high rises in downtown Seattle.

Or maybe they'll start building affordable houses, with yards, schools, etc so I have room to raise my family in downtown Seattle so I can walk to work. That would be awesome.

Or maybe I'll go back in time 20 years where I was young and single and I could get an apartment downtown so I could walk to work.

Or maybe my work will give me a huge monster raise so I can buy one of these $6,000,000 dollar condos by my work. That would be cool. Oh wait, no schools in downtown Seattle.

Or maybe my last job(which was closer, 25min commute) wouldn't have outsourced my entire IT department to Bangladore....

Or maybe businesses will finally "get it" and allow people to work from home that easily could if they have a computer and internet access, in other words pretty much everyone that does that type of work. That would cut the number of cars on the road by what, maybe 35% or more?
    Oh wait, the problem with that idea is the it would eliminate about 2/3 of the middle management suck up/really don't do anything but "supervise" the grunts (most of whom need about 1/10th of that "supervision") jobs and we can't have that now can we? I mean what would they talk about in their endless freaking meetings?
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 pm
  • all good valid points... but there is some reality to it as well, some people work in an area that is not accomodating to their finances or lifestyle... Like me for instance, i commute because there is simply no residential area within 30 miles of my job site... the closest area to it happens to be riverfront property and expensive condo's.. can't afford it, so i commute along with about 6,000 other workers who work in the same area.. and it sucks...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 pm
  • What the heck? Give us an address of something within .5 miles of where you work, I want to see where in the world there's no residential area within 30 miles. Also, do you define residential as "houses with big yards", or is there more leeway in the definition? (As there should be, IMO.)
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Glad to see Roland still knows whats best for everyone.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:03 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:Glad to see Roland still knows whats best for everyone.

Don't be a hater, I was just calling BS on not being able to live near where you work. Anyone can, if they want to live in a condo instead of a house, as an example.

Glad to see you reinterpreting what I said to get offended, though. Makes me feel all tingly inside.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Spounge84 wrote:Glad to see Roland still knows whats best for everyone.

Don't be a hater, I was just calling BS on not being able to live near where you work. Anyone can, if they want to live in a condo instead of a house, as an example.

Glad to see you reinterpreting what I said to get offended, though. Makes me feel all tingly inside.

Not if you have to travel for a living.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:

After all, who wouldn't want to relocate multiple times in their lives for no other reason than that they switched jobs? Moving is so much fun, and it's so easy to find a new great place to live... Even better if you can get rid of that stupid old house you bought. Much smarter to waste money on closing costs.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:

I think he made it clear he didn't want to live in a condo. I've got 3 kids, I want a yard. You show me a 2500 sq foot house on a 1 acre lot in Portland within 5 miles of Lloyd Center that costs less than $300,000 and we'll talk.

FWIW, I leave the house at 5:20, get to work before 6, get off at 2:30 and get home by 3:15. One day a week, I work from home. No traffic of note for any of my commute.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:39 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

After all, who wouldn't want to relocate multiple times in their lives for no other reason than that they switched jobs? Moving is so much fun, and it's so easy to find a new great place to live... Even better if you can get rid of that stupid old house you bought.

As long as there is room for my computer and my cats, I don't need much. It would be nice if there is a pharmacy nearby that carries my allergy medications.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:49 pm
  • Some people don't mind a long drive. I'm one of them, as long as traffic isn't bad. I would imagine that living in Portland and working in Kelso the traffic would be much better than if it were the opposite. And Portland-Kelso shouldn't really take an hour. 45 minutes or so.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Some people don't mind a long drive. I'm one of them, as long as traffic isn't bad. I would imagine that living in Portland and working in Kelso the traffic would be much better than if it were the opposite. And Portland-Kelso shouldn't really take an hour. 45 minutes or so.

I'm in sw Portland. So for the time being it would be an hour from door to door
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:55 pm
  • Its all about priorities. There is a give and take to everything and everyone does it differently. A short trip tow work is vitally important for Roland. For others, a home and property is more important than a longer commute. There's no right answer, just personal preference.

In regards to the work from home thing, employers don't trust employees to be as productive when they work from home, too many distractions and there are people that take advantage of it.

Of course, why did the employers hire employees they can't trust to be responsible in the first place? Its not hard to vet that kind of behavior.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:00 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What the heck? Give us an address of something within .5 miles of where you work, I want to see where in the world there's no residential area within 30 miles. Also, do you define residential as "houses with big yards", or is there more leeway in the definition? (As there should be, IMO.)

I'm assuming Hawker84 works pretty close to where I do, and he'd be correct, there is nowhere (houses, condos, or otherwise) to live within about 30 miles.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:12 pm
  • Way the hell out in the middle of nowhere is a different story, but I still wouldn't mind a specific location to take a look at to sate my own curiosity. *shrug*
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 pm
  • My round-trip commute consists of 50-60 minutes on the train and 40-50 minutes walking and it's my favorite part of the day that doesn't include Jameson & IPA.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:14 pm
  • Zeb, if the 50-60 minute commute each way is your favorite part of your day every day outside of drinking alcohol, I think you either have a drinking problem, or you really don't like your job. Just a thought. ;)
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Zeb, if the 50-60 minute commute each way is your favorite part of your day every day outside of drinking alcohol, I think you either have a drinking problem, or you really don't like your job. Just a thought. ;)

Well, while I do go through spells of being sick of my job, and I do thoroughly enjoy whiskey and beer nights, I love reading and I find I get my best reading done on the train. And I love being outside (especially in nice weather) and I sit all day at work, hence the simple joy found in walking.

Oh, and I have made a deal with myself that I will not take business calls or texts during the commute. And I really enjoy that.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 pm
  • Ah, no business during the commute explains a lot of it, I think. ;)
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:31 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Ah, no business during the commute explains a lot of it, I think. ;)

Correspondence is one of the less desirable aspects of my work, for sure.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Correspondence is one of the less desirable aspects of my work, for sure.

So I've gathered, from your occasional rants in the shack about people texting you at all hours, and that crazy woman a while back.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:58 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sturg78 wrote:I have a possible job opportunity in Kelso, WA that I want to jump on. Problem is it is in Kelso, which I have 0 interest in, and I live in Portland. It would be an hour commute and I'm unsure if an hour commute is doable long term. Has anyone here had experience with long commutes? What is too long?

An hour isn't too bad. Sounds weird saying that, but I think for a lot of folks living outside Seattle, having to commute into downtown Seattle (or eastside), an hour is pretty common. :(

I live 19 miles from my work in downtown Seattle, takes me any where from 50-75 minutes.

Catch up on some audio books, new music, sports radio. Won't be bad.

Man, that sounds horrific.

I enjoy driving. I dont think i'd have any problem at all with an hour and a half commute if i lived 75 miles away. But 19 miles in an hour, every day, I would definatly move or find a new job.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sturg78 wrote:I have a possible job opportunity in Kelso, WA that I want to jump on. Problem is it is in Kelso, which I have 0 interest in, and I live in Portland. It would be an hour commute and I'm unsure if an hour commute is doable long term. Has anyone here had experience with long commutes? What is too long?

An hour isn't too bad. Sounds weird saying that, but I think for a lot of folks living outside Seattle, having to commute into downtown Seattle (or eastside), an hour is pretty common. :(

I live 19 miles from my work in downtown Seattle, takes me any where from 50-75 minutes.

Catch up on some audio books, new music, sports radio. Won't be bad.

Man, that sounds horrific.

I enjoy driving. I dont think i'd have any problem at all with an hour and a half commute if i lived 75 miles away. But 19 miles in an hour, every day, I would definatly move or find a new job.

I just found this job! :shock: Most of the jobs that I'm interested in, or companies I'm interested in are downtown, or downtown Bellevue, or Redmond.

Either way, its fight I-5, or fight 405. Either way a grind. Life working in the Seattle area I guess. :Dunno:

I'm in the same boat as thousands and thousands of other people slogging up from the south end. Or the thousands and thousands of people creeping slowly south down I-5 or 405, from Edmonds, Bothell or Lynnwood.

Fact of life. And trust me I've tried variety of trains, light rail, buses, driving. It all sucks.
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What the heck? Give us an address of something within .5 miles of where you work, I want to see where in the world there's no residential area within 30 miles. Also, do you define residential as "houses with big yards", or is there more leeway in the definition? (As there should be, IMO.)

it's called Hanford Nuclear Reservation... trust me when i say, they're is no residential property within a 30 mile radius...... Nor will there ever be... well i shouldn't say radius, there is actually AG farms accross the Columbia river, but none on the reservation side.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 am
  • Ah; well, that would make a fair bit of sense, then. I was trying to figure out a place in "civilization" that would result in that, but 4 hours away from Seattle is a different story.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 am
  • hey hey hey, am i detecting a bit of a dig there? we have electricity and indoor plumbing, and a really neat movie house that shows moving pictures and everything.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 am
  • Teeheehee...Maybe just a little.

See, when my parents separated, my mom moved me and my sister to where her family was. In rural Wisconsin. I had to live there for almost a freakin' decade. I hated it, and subsequently, I hate rural areas. Period. It doesn't hurt that there are logical arguments for preferring cities over small, rural areas too, though. ;)
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 am
  • I believe we have the 3rd largest population in Washington behind Seattle of course and Spokane... Little town vibe for sure but we're actually the shopping mecca for surrounding communities including Oregon residents... So we're not quite the little rural farming community, although that is a major industry here.. Nuclear being up there with Hanford and Energy Norwest... I like it, if i want to travel to the big city it's only a 3 1/2 hr drive.. or 4 to portland so not bad..
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 8:08 am
  • Huh, interesting. Just looked up the population, Tri-Cities is a lot larger than I had thought. It's not like I've ever really been there, or anything; I was just making presumptuous assumptions. ;)
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Correspondence is one of the less desirable aspects of my work, for sure.

So I've gathered, from your occasional rants in the shack about people texting you at all hours, and that crazy woman a while back.

I'M GROWN!!!!!
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed May 01, 2013 11:29 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Correspondence is one of the less desirable aspects of my work, for sure.

I'M GROWN!!!!!

Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 am
  • I used to commute from Edmonds to Kent in traffic was about an hour. I didn't mind it. Gave me a chance to wake up, argue with the radio and drink a coffee. If you get paid enough and like the job it's certainly worth it.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Huh, interesting. Just looked up the population, Tri-Cities is a lot larger than I had thought. It's not like I've ever really been there, or anything; I was just making presumptuous assumptions. ;)

It's decent sized. Lived here my whole life and it's gotten MUCH bigger than when I was a kid. And I think it's the fastest growing part of the state. We have a good sized population, but it's not metro like Seattle. The TC is spread out.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.

I seriously cannot even formulate a response to this. (But I just did...)

Wow.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 12:36 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:.............In regards to the work from home thing, employers don't trust employees to be as productive when they work from home, too many distractions and there are people that take advantage of it.

Of course, why did the employers hire employees they can't trust to be responsible in the first place? Its not hard to vet that kind of behavior.

Exactly. They could be monitored on occasion from the main office remotely via internet, a certain level of work completed could be pre-set, etc.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.

So what your saying is that those two will soon start procreating?
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.

So what your saying is that those two will soon start procreating?

Thankfully it's looking like things might not work out. Ahaha.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri May 03, 2013 12:45 am
  • Ive been commuting from Sammamish to Ellensburg 4 days a week for the last 8 months to finish up my last year in school. Its 200 miles round trip and takes about 3.5 hours.

I was dreading doing this before the school year, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I just put on sports radio and grab an energy drink and just enjoy the drive (in the morning). The drive back sucks because all you want to do is get home quickly. I have to deal with the pass too, but this year the snow has been really light, and I bought an all wheel drive car for my commute.

For me, I'm only doing this because there is light at the end of the tunnel. If is was for a job that I planned on keeping for who knows how long, I probably wouldn't do it.
    Jake Hawks
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information