Commuting

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Commuting
Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:58 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sturg78 wrote:I have a possible job opportunity in Kelso, WA that I want to jump on. Problem is it is in Kelso, which I have 0 interest in, and I live in Portland. It would be an hour commute and I'm unsure if an hour commute is doable long term. Has anyone here had experience with long commutes? What is too long?

An hour isn't too bad. Sounds weird saying that, but I think for a lot of folks living outside Seattle, having to commute into downtown Seattle (or eastside), an hour is pretty common. :(

I live 19 miles from my work in downtown Seattle, takes me any where from 50-75 minutes.

Catch up on some audio books, new music, sports radio. Won't be bad.

Man, that sounds horrific.

I enjoy driving. I dont think i'd have any problem at all with an hour and a half commute if i lived 75 miles away. But 19 miles in an hour, every day, I would definatly move or find a new job.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sturg78 wrote:I have a possible job opportunity in Kelso, WA that I want to jump on. Problem is it is in Kelso, which I have 0 interest in, and I live in Portland. It would be an hour commute and I'm unsure if an hour commute is doable long term. Has anyone here had experience with long commutes? What is too long?

An hour isn't too bad. Sounds weird saying that, but I think for a lot of folks living outside Seattle, having to commute into downtown Seattle (or eastside), an hour is pretty common. :(

I live 19 miles from my work in downtown Seattle, takes me any where from 50-75 minutes.

Catch up on some audio books, new music, sports radio. Won't be bad.

Man, that sounds horrific.

I enjoy driving. I dont think i'd have any problem at all with an hour and a half commute if i lived 75 miles away. But 19 miles in an hour, every day, I would definatly move or find a new job.

I just found this job! :shock: Most of the jobs that I'm interested in, or companies I'm interested in are downtown, or downtown Bellevue, or Redmond.

Either way, its fight I-5, or fight 405. Either way a grind. Life working in the Seattle area I guess. :Dunno:

I'm in the same boat as thousands and thousands of other people slogging up from the south end. Or the thousands and thousands of people creeping slowly south down I-5 or 405, from Edmonds, Bothell or Lynnwood.

Fact of life. And trust me I've tried variety of trains, light rail, buses, driving. It all sucks.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What the heck? Give us an address of something within .5 miles of where you work, I want to see where in the world there's no residential area within 30 miles. Also, do you define residential as "houses with big yards", or is there more leeway in the definition? (As there should be, IMO.)

it's called Hanford Nuclear Reservation... trust me when i say, they're is no residential property within a 30 mile radius...... Nor will there ever be... well i shouldn't say radius, there is actually AG farms accross the Columbia river, but none on the reservation side.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 am
  • Ah; well, that would make a fair bit of sense, then. I was trying to figure out a place in "civilization" that would result in that, but 4 hours away from Seattle is a different story.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 am
  • hey hey hey, am i detecting a bit of a dig there? we have electricity and indoor plumbing, and a really neat movie house that shows moving pictures and everything.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 am
  • Teeheehee...Maybe just a little.

See, when my parents separated, my mom moved me and my sister to where her family was. In rural Wisconsin. I had to live there for almost a freakin' decade. I hated it, and subsequently, I hate rural areas. Period. It doesn't hurt that there are logical arguments for preferring cities over small, rural areas too, though. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 am
  • I believe we have the 3rd largest population in Washington behind Seattle of course and Spokane... Little town vibe for sure but we're actually the shopping mecca for surrounding communities including Oregon residents... So we're not quite the little rural farming community, although that is a major industry here.. Nuclear being up there with Hanford and Energy Norwest... I like it, if i want to travel to the big city it's only a 3 1/2 hr drive.. or 4 to portland so not bad..
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 8:08 am
  • Huh, interesting. Just looked up the population, Tri-Cities is a lot larger than I had thought. It's not like I've ever really been there, or anything; I was just making presumptuous assumptions. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Correspondence is one of the less desirable aspects of my work, for sure.

So I've gathered, from your occasional rants in the shack about people texting you at all hours, and that crazy woman a while back.

I'M GROWN!!!!!
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed May 01, 2013 11:29 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Correspondence is one of the less desirable aspects of my work, for sure.

So I've gathered, from your occasional rants in the shack about people texting you at all hours, and that crazy woman a while back.

I'M GROWN!!!!!

Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 am
  • I used to commute from Edmonds to Kent in traffic was about an hour. I didn't mind it. Gave me a chance to wake up, argue with the radio and drink a coffee. If you get paid enough and like the job it's certainly worth it.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Huh, interesting. Just looked up the population, Tri-Cities is a lot larger than I had thought. It's not like I've ever really been there, or anything; I was just making presumptuous assumptions. ;)

It's decent sized. Lived here my whole life and it's gotten MUCH bigger than when I was a kid. And I think it's the fastest growing part of the state. We have a good sized population, but it's not metro like Seattle. The TC is spread out.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.

I seriously cannot even formulate a response to this. (But I just did...)

Wow.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 01, 2013 12:36 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:.............In regards to the work from home thing, employers don't trust employees to be as productive when they work from home, too many distractions and there are people that take advantage of it.

Of course, why did the employers hire employees they can't trust to be responsible in the first place? Its not hard to vet that kind of behavior.

Exactly. They could be monitored on occasion from the main office remotely via internet, a certain level of work completed could be pre-set, etc.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.

So what your saying is that those two will soon start procreating?
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Dude, no joke, a buddy of mine who lives in $hittsburgh started talking to that girl after seeing our conversation and now they're engaged to be married. WTF.

So what your saying is that those two will soon start procreating?

Thankfully it's looking like things might not work out. Ahaha.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri May 03, 2013 12:45 am
  • Ive been commuting from Sammamish to Ellensburg 4 days a week for the last 8 months to finish up my last year in school. Its 200 miles round trip and takes about 3.5 hours.

I was dreading doing this before the school year, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I just put on sports radio and grab an energy drink and just enjoy the drive (in the morning). The drive back sucks because all you want to do is get home quickly. I have to deal with the pass too, but this year the snow has been really light, and I bought an all wheel drive car for my commute.

For me, I'm only doing this because there is light at the end of the tunnel. If is was for a job that I planned on keeping for who knows how long, I probably wouldn't do it.
    Jake Hawks
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information